162 Water Street
Vancouver, BC V6B 1B2Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.pourhousevancouver.com/
- Phone: 6045687022
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Wednesday - 11:30am - 12:00am
Thursday - 11:30am - 1:00am
Friday - 11:30am - 2:00am
Saturday 5:00pm - 2:00am
Sunday 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: J-C Poirier
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Pourhouse has live Jazz music every Sunday night starting at 7:00pm.
- Public Transit: Waterfront Skytrain Station is a block up the street. A nice and easy walk down Water Street to Pourhouse.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: There is an EasyPark located directly next to Pourhouse with entrance and exit on both Water Street and Cordova Street. Very easy and convenient to park, good rates, nice and close.
A word from Pourhouse Restaurant
A century ago, North American cuisine wasn't quite as fancy as today, but full of simple purpose: flavours you craved that left you satisfied. We look to create that feeling and sense of place. Making food that fills the room with mouth-watering aromas, and savoury tastes that are unabashed. We want to share our infatuation with food - serving dishes that smack of home, and made with hearty ingredients by someone who loves what they do.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Pourhouse Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Gastown ›
Pourhouse Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
49 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (30)neighborhood gem (20)romantic (15)vibrant bar scene (14)special occasion (14)good for groups (12)great for lunch (11)hot spot (11)late-night find (8)notable wine list (6)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Food was wonderful, everythingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/25/2010Food was wonderful, everything ordered was served to perfection. Server was very helpful and knowledgeable about the menu and wines to pair the meals with. The history of the building was very interesting making the decor fit into the era. Overall a great time - we will be back.Special Features:
- Enjoyed how you could nameOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/19/2010Enjoyed how you could name a flavour of drink and the bartenders would make something great.Special Features:
- I believe all of us enjoyedkarrilaDined on 5/11/2010I believe all of us enjoyed our meals, the wine, beer and cocktail selection was good. The service was good and she really made many suggestions in regards to the cocktails. We would probably go back for cocktails and appetizers just so we got a chance to try a bit more. The space was comfortable and quite beautiful. We had a booth where we could see the kitchen. I would definatley recommend dining here. I had the espresso braised short ribs and they were fantastic, one of the ladies had the tuna sandwich and soup and said it was okay, another lady had the rabbit caccitore and said it was excellent and another had the scallops and a salad which looked to be very tasty.Special Features:
- Dinner was great and so wasOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/9/2010Dinner was great and so was the service - friendly and interesting! This was our second visit and we will definitely come again.Special Features:
- The service staff seemed aOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/30/2010The service staff seemed a little bit cold and distant to the customers when we arrived. A quick look at the menu and the drinks list gave us a few options for what to eat. Having seen the menu online prior we decided on 2 drinks. Both of our drinks had a good flavour to them. Very well created cocktails. It would have been nice to see a slightly larger list for those of us not as creative as our drink specialists. Our food was underwhelming to say the least. The parpadelle was way too salty and very bland. No flavour. The Short rib tasted like burnt coffee beans without any hint of sweetness, and yes I tried to mix in the veggies, but the espresso was still to strong. I'm not sure what to say other than, we won't be returning.
- Food and ambience was goodprovenceVIPDined on 4/29/2010Food and ambience was good but some difficulty with a very pushy waitress.Special Features:
- Loved it...always worry aboutOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/17/2010Loved it...always worry about parking in Gastown. parked uptown and took Canada LineSpecial Features:
- Great beer on tap! ServersOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/12/2010Great beer on tap! Servers knew a LOT about the history, the food source etc. Will try the restaurant again
- Comfort food for foodies atOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/11/2010Comfort food for foodies at surprisingly reasonable prices. Loved everything I ate, will be going back.Special Features:
- Our first time at PourhouseOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/6/2010Our first time at Pourhouse after reading all the rave reviews. We were not disappointed. Gorgeous setting, lovely lighting, beautiful accoutrements. Our service was impeccable. He had very good advice when we asked, and was very knowledgable about the food and wines to pair. We had grilled squid to start which was perfect in texture and flavour, then both had the beef shortrib signature dish for our mains. It was flavorful and tender. Dessert was a treat of chocolate cake. We would recommend Pourhouse and will definitely return.Special Features:
- Wouldn't not go back but wouldn'tOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/30/2010Wouldn't not go back but wouldn't rush back either.
- The food is the centerpieceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/30/2010The food is the centerpiece of this restaurant. The decor is pleasing and the ambiance complements the food nicely.Special Features:
- I've been twice in less thanOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/25/2010I've been twice in less than a week. The lack of a mixed drinks list makes the unique creations they whip up that much better. The food is great and I love the atmosphere. I am looking forward to my next visit - brunch!Special Features:
- We made reservations on theOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/25/2010We made reservations on the strength of a recommendation for their cassoulet ("pork and beans" on the menu). We were not disappointed.Special Features:
- Pourhouse Restaurant was aOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/25/2010Pourhouse Restaurant was a wonderful find. You are greeted by lovely ambiance, amazing cocktails to tantalize the pallet and food that awakens your taste buds. The real treasure of the dining experience is delivered by the incredibly thoughtful and personable staff who offered excellent suggestions, shared the history of the building and the vision of the owners with genuine enthusiasm and pizazz! A huge thumbs up to Adam and Sharla who introduced us to the delicious Twenieth Century cocktail! An honourable mention for the Warm Chocolate Cake, which almost had us licking the plates! Well done - we will be back!!!! Thanks so very much for an awesome evening!Special Features:
- We had a great time and weOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/24/2010We had a great time and we all enjoyed our meals. It is a nice little room.Special Features:
- Incredible. Everything aboutOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/11/2010Incredible. Everything about this place is perfect.Special Features:
- Dined there for the firstOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/9/2010Dined there for the first time - food was great, pricing was good, service was good - will definitely be back.
- A great experience. A placeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/6/2010A great experience. A place of character and warmth. The limited but distinctive menue is due to the chef's exceptional taste and the service was impeccable and first class. Bon vivant.Special Features:
- Our meal was very enjoyable,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/5/2010Our meal was very enjoyable, atmosphere was good with the old world feel. Really enjoyed my Side Car cocktail - very fitting in the scope of the restaurant. The food was excellent in presentation and flavour. Food service was prompt but drink service was very slow.Special Features:
- Drinks are amazing - the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/4/2010Drinks are amazing - the best mint julep known to man! Food was fantastic - a great array. Started with the pate and caesar salad, then had the ridiculously good 'grilled cheese' sandwich & the organic chicken served in 3 styles was delicious. Great atmosphere, a great find!!!Special Features:
- Very slow service, despiteOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/2/2010Very slow service, despite the small number of occupied tables. And no written beer list was confusing since the restaurant claims to focus on quality drinks. Food was very nice but a very long time coming. I'm not sure I would rush back.
- The dining experience wasOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/31/2010The dining experience was very good. I had been to the former restaurant in the building, Flux, and was surprised by how different it felt. I had a nice private booth in the corner of the room which was very private for my date (I requested this in my online reservation). The food was VERY good. I understand the chef from West started this restaurant. The wine was also good. Prices were not too expensive and for the quality of food, very reasonable. There was live Jazz music, piano and saxophone which really added to the ambiance. I was there on a Sunday and it was surprisingly busy. Good find!Special Features:
- Great restaurant. Small andOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/20/2010Great restaurant. Small and cozy, it's a throw back to when things were done right. The food is amazing: We had oysters to start; they were fresh and accompanied well with the horseradish and mignonette. My main was the Carpetbag Steak (I had never heard of this, but apparently it's a uniquely Australian dish) and it's amazing. One of the best steaks I've had and a very tasty dish. My wife had the pork & Beans. A classic done very, very well. A lovely white bean cassoulet topped with a delicious pork sausage. No dessert for us this time around, but they all looked tempting. Short but solid wine list.Special Features:
- I went to the Pourhouse withOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/18/2010I went to the Pourhouse with my girlfriends for my birthday. What a quality experience. Our server really made the whole experience memorable. The drinks were adventuresome and delicious. My steak was so divine and the whole ambiance of the place made you want to stay for a long time. The whole energy of this place is going to make it a restaurant I will want to go back to again and again.Special Features:
- An enjoyable evening withOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/18/2010An enjoyable evening with three friends from out of town who loved the place. Great service.Special Features:
- This restaurant has greatOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/14/2010This restaurant has great ambiance, strong no-fuss cocktails, and delicious food. I loved the decor. This is a place that could satisfy a variety of moods. You could hang out at the gorgeous dark wood bar for drinks, tuck into a booth for dinner with friends, or bring your special someone for a romantic date. The atmosphere is cozy and sophisticated, but completely unpretentious. Our server was attentive and friendly. I had the linguine with clams and white wine, and it was delicious. I definitely want to go back to try other things on the menu.Special Features:
- Will not be going back anyOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 12/18/2009Will not be going back any more. Been about 8-10 times for lunch since they opened.. service has been consistently going downhill. This visit was the last straw, 1pm lunch reservation, maybe 3 tables seated, took 1 full hour to serve the food, which was lukewarm at best. Slow and inattentive seems to be par for the course during the day.. staff just puttering around instead of taking any interest in the customers, empty water glasses, empty drink glasses. Predicting a name change in the near future to Poorhouse. Thumbs down, avoid during the day.
- This restaurant as its newOperabuffetVIPDined on 12/15/2009This restaurant as its new needs to improve of flavour and texture of food.The service was ok, staff need to be more knowledgable of wine list, and smile more.Special Features:
- It was just ok, haven't metKellyDined on 11/22/2009It was just ok, haven't met anyone who was impressed.
- Food (beef ribs0 were adequate,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/20/2009Food (beef ribs0 were adequate, but a bit too cute: throw back to a few years ago when you enjoy the few bites but come away hungry, as we did later (got chips at the game). But the service was just plain bad: sat for a good 5 minutes before anyone came over (same problem with the table that came after us/next to us); for some reason the waiter insisted on calling me "mister." not Mister Last Name, just "mister." odd. And then we waited at least 15 minutes for the check, even though it was more than evident we needed, ner, HAD to go. so, Nice spot, but their service has to come up a big notch before I drop by again. Signed, Regular in the 'hood.
- Have visited Pourhouse twiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/17/2009Have visited Pourhouse twice in the last week. I was immediately impressed by the old school charm of the place - the music (old school jazz) sets a nice tone and really contributes to the atmosphere. The bar, brickwork and exposed iron provide strong roots for the theme of the place, which seems to be early 20th century charm. The menu runs to comfort food, but bumped up several notches. Grilled Cheese, Tuna Sandwiches, Sloppy Joes - these fairly simple dishes take on new life at Pourhouse. The wine list isn't too bad - a tad limited if you're ordering by the glass at lunch, but what you can order is good.Special Features:
- I have heard recommendationsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/11/2009I have heard recommendations about the food there from a few people and they were right! I've been there twice now and enjoyed my meals very much. The location is good and the decor is wonderful; lots of character and atmosphere. It is definitely on my list of favourite restaurants in Vancouver! I'll be back for sure!Special Features:
- had a very enjoyable lunch,luv2dineDined on 11/9/2009had a very enjoyable lunch, very attentive server and manager visit to our table. Great atmosphere.Special Features:
- Business dinner at Pourhouse.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/1/2009Business dinner at Pourhouse. Great restaurant and OK service. Wines on the list are very good. Dishes were removed from the already-small menu, and no replacements or other recommendations. This made for a very narrow selection. I hope they get a new food menu out soon. I'll be back.Special Features:
- This was a great find - I'llOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/21/2009This was a great find - I'll definitely go back. The decor is subtle & elegant and the music was just the right groove (jazzy, upbeat but not too loud...) could be a good bar scene but we were only there for dinner. The food was amazing! The portions aren't huge but the pricing was good so it meant we could order a variety of appies, sides and a main course - and that was good because it was hard to decide between them. The scallops appetizer was probably my favourite.
- Had lunch. Service and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/21/2009Had lunch. Service and food was exceptional. Great espresso also.Special Features: