689 Massachusetts Avenue
Arlington, MA 02720Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.trystrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7816412227
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Paul Turano
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Tryst restaurant hosts a wide variety of events ranging from small birthday parties to wedding receptions. Please contact us at the restaurant.
- Private Party Contact: Amber Michele 7816412227
- Entertainment: Sunday Brunch jazz trio beginning 9/13.
A word from Tryst Restaurant
Tryst Restaurant serves creative American cuisine, using local and seasonal ingredients.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Tryst Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Arlington ›
Tryst Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
97 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (68)fit for foodies (43)special occasion (30)great for brunch (24)good for groups (17)vibrant bar scene (14)romantic (12)hot spot (9)notable wine list (9)late-night find (4)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Went pre-theaterStaceyCDined on 3/2/2014The service was great and the brunch was very tasty. I had huevos rancheros whidh were delicious and served nice and hot. My friend had eggs benedict and raved about her meal. It was a cold winter day and it was nice and toasty and just right inside. No drafts, great table. Would gladly eat there again.Special Features:
- Excellent foodsquirrelVIPDined on 3/1/2014The beet ravioli with pistachios was one of the best ravioli dishes that I ever had. My husband had a burger that he paleo-ized with no bun, avocado, egg and bacon -- was a masterpiece. Apps and wine were amazing also. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Good!DuspinDined on 3/1/2014Very well-made food and service to beat the band. Such a pleasant experience both times now. Heartily recommend Tryst to anyone who is serious about food and being treated well for the money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite local placeNeighborDined on 2/28/2014We always enjoy our meals here. It's so nice that the hostess gives a choice of a low table or a high one. My very generous portion of Bourbon Steak Tips was cooked perfectly; the chopped salad with it was excellent, but accompanying pilaf was very dry. Spouse had the cioppino which he said was tasty but a small portion for $25. The service (Tyrell) was exceptional this time. Only disappointment was the absence of a mussels appetizer on the menu -- it's one of the things Tryst does best, and a main draw for us. Bring it back please!Special Features:
- First TimerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/28/2014Very enjoyable from the lighting, our waiter was exceptional, pear martini was delicious, appetizer was a crostini with figs which was incredible and the food was amazing. We enjoyed our time and look forward to our next visit at Tryst.Special Features:
- FabulousDecklynDined on 2/27/2014Tryst is a great restaurant, consistently providing great food, service, and atmosphere. A true Gem in Arlington!Special Features:
- Food was delicious but serverOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/26/2014Food was delicious but server disappeared twice while ordering - very odd, no explanation to cover the gaff. Best margarita I've had in years! But coffee was not piping hot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always enjoy TrystLoloDined on 2/22/2014I've been here now about 5 times and this was the first time that the service was only so-so but that did not detract from the excellent food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- apps are very good as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2014i ordered the crispy oyster (i've never had them before) and they were very good. tasted a little bit like fried belly clams. the big plate i ordered was the crispy beef shank. it was good but not as i expected. from the description thought it would be similar to the Philippine lechon/roast pork (crispy on outside and tender inside), but it wasn't that crispy outside and i thought the shank was boiled first before being broiled. but it's fine. i took the left over home because the portion was huge. my husband enjoyed his choices as well (spanish ceasar salad and steak). dessert was okay but not spectacular. all in all a good experience. will come back for special dates.Special Features:
- Good neighborhood spotLisaDined on 2/8/2014I was impressed by the food, everything we had was really good. Started by sharing the kale and brussels sprouts salad which was delicious, and I appreciated that they split it and plated it separately for us. The bread basket was very good, it was nice and dense. I had the crispy pork shank, which was delicious and tender, served with a yummy quinoa and vegetable stir fry. Hubby got the braised short ribs which were also excellent, served with a cauliflower puree. They have a nice selection of craft beers and wines. I'd definitely go back, it's a great neighborhood restaurant, and worth a bit of a drive as well. One small complaint is the TVs that are on every wall in the dining room, which don't go with the atmosphere of the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great diningDawnyDined on 2/8/2014Friends had the wild mushroom soup and were still raving about it the next day. I had the chicken breast--absolutely delicious. And the gruyere-chard bread pudding was soooo good. Can't even describe how good it was. Good service, good food, a perfect evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Staff is extremely friendlyPeggyDined on 2/6/2014Staff is extremely friendly and the food is great!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place but ...EKW1Dined on 1/25/2014I went here last Saturday for brunch with a friend. The food was great and the server was very helpful,professional and personable. The wall of TVs were distracting even though we sat in the back of the dining area away from the bar. The TVs do not add to the ambiance, in fact they don't seem to fit. Could they possible turn them off during brunch?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ups and downs, mostly upsJDGGSGDined on 1/14/2014The food and service were very good. The prices were also reasonable. I actually felt there was too much food. I could only eat half of it and brought the rest home. This is not such a bad thing, but seeing a mountain of food put in front of you is a bit daunting if you feel that you have to eat it all! I don't like to leave a restaurant feeling uncomfortably full. We sat in the bar area not realizing it would be a lot noisier than the main space. It was noisy there. Next time I will sit in the main area and then I think the ambiance would allow for a more special occasion.Special Features:
- Dinner at TrystOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/11/2014I really enjoyed my meal at Tryst. The menu is interesting and diverse. The food was very good, presented well, tasty and fresh. My only complaint was that our server was clearly trying to move us along. I was meeting friends I hadn't seen in nearly two decades, so to be fair, there was a lot of talking and not a lot of ordering for awhile. We did order drinks fairly quickly, though and the place was not packed. She should have backed off a bit. She was pleasant, but clearly annoyed that it was taking awhile. Otherwise, it was a very good experience. I'd recommend.Special Features:
- Nice option in western suburbscrystalVIPDined on 1/4/2014Good food excellent service. Noise level is high. Good option for western suburbs especially if tired of Lexington optionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly for New Year'sOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/31/2013Late night reservations with 2 young kids didn't throw the expert staff and maitre d'. We still had a pre-fixe gourmet meal with a side of crayons, pasta, and french fries for the kids. A very nice, homey time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentBillDined on 12/31/2013Food was great as was the service. Been there multiple times and haven't been let down yet. Definitely worth a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date night!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/26/2013I had an awesome time at Tryst...again! It is quiet and the ambience is very nice. The food is amazing- they offer a menu fit for anyone's likings. I can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Under performedDitty09853Dined on 12/13/2013Loud atmosphere and service was really slow. We spent almost 2.5 hours at the restaurant. The manager did apologize for the delay in the kitchen but it was pretty crazy to wait that long when people who sat after my party were in and out before we got our main dishes. All that for food that was just ok.
- An awesome brunch againOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/8/2013We occasionally like to go out for a nice brunch as opposed to the local diner. Tryst fits the bill. I had a pizette with fried eggs, arugula and herb salad with slices of dried sausage.. My husband had hash and eggs which tasted like it came from a high quality piece of beef that was shredded as opposed to ground. Both were quite goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A hidden gem.NevsDined on 12/5/2013I can't believe it took me so long to discover this place and that there aren't more people knocking down the door to get in. The food is very interesting and tastes spectacular and if our server is any indication they are all very pleasant and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Both the food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/4/2013Both the food and service were great,nothing negative to say at all.Special Features:
- Definitely going back again!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/23/2013We've lived in this area for a year and a half and have heard a number of people talk about Tryst. Now we know why! It was fabulous! My husband and I recently switched to gluten free and this was one of the few places we've eaten that didn't make us feel like we were missing out. We went on a double date with friends, and we all enjoyed sampling the small plates. Our entrees were a generous size. None of us left hungry! It was a delicious meal and we will be returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tryst Restaurant, a lovely TreatButterflyWings1Dined on 11/23/2013Tryst has a comfortable, relaxed atmosphere. The tables not close together so conversations were felt private. Our server was attentive without being overbearing; she attended to our every need/question. If you have a gluten intolerance, they will gladly provide a gluten free menu (next time, the flour-less chocolate cake for dessert). The food presentation was elegant, good size portions which did not leave you feeling hungry. I had the Wild Mushroom Omelet with spinach, Monterey Jack cheese, caramelized onions, truffle oil & roasted potatoes from the gluten free menu. It was wonderfully flavorful, with just the right amount of seasonings, especially the roasted potatoes. Others ordered Eggs Benedict, each one cooked to order. BRAVO!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, impossibly NOISY !RonnacaspDined on 11/22/2013We love going to TRYST, but on Friday night we met another couple there for dinner and it was impossibly noisy. I left feeling like I had a sore throat and a headache after yelling across the table to be heard! Food is great, but probably not the best choice for weekend dining. We will definitely return, hamburgers great, mussels delicious and plentiful.Special Features:
- DandyRiverVIPDined on 11/22/2013This charming spot was lovely from the time we arrived to our departure. The prices are splendid as are the portions. It was well done in every way.Special Features:
- Great Food and excellent service.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/20/2013Great Food and excellent service. Nice to have a nice restaurant in a neighborhood. Highly recommend trying it.Special Features:
- Always a nice evening outbelmontDined on 11/14/2013Tryst is a lovely neighborhood restaurant where the food is always tasty and consistently good. Friendly greetings and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great neighborhood go-to placestarlingtonVIPDined on 11/13/2013Tryst is a really good restaurant in the Arlington neighborhood. It is laid back and comfortable while also having good food and a really nice wine list. What they do, they seem to do really well. And the kid's menu is awesome - homemade pasta!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Twice in two weeks!DiningOutVIPDined on 11/13/2013Went to Tryst twice in two weeks after having the cheese croquettes the first time. So good! As always the food and cocktails at Tryst are great, but the desserts fall flat and are disappointing after everything else is excellent.
- Great MealRobertVIPDined on 11/11/2013Delightful meal including Angus Burger and free range chicken. Creative and well done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great dining experience!DiningOutVIPDined on 11/2/2013Went to Tryst again - it's our neighborhood spot and I really like the kale and brussel sprout salad and the shrimp tacos, but went outside the comfort zone and ordered the pear salad with grilled chicken. It was disappointing. They service a single unseasoned slightly charred breast of chicken along side the salad; they didn't slice it and present it as an entree salad, which fell short in my opinion if it's offered as a protein addition to the salad. Service was great; however I was surprised that a with a party of four we had to wait for a four top table to be available when 2 two top tables were open right next to each other past the prime dining hours. This all being said, we'll be back - maybe this was just a fluke.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful SpotJeffUrdanDined on 10/28/2013We were amazed by the delicious food and comfortable ambiance. We've been back and will be back more. Menu is a little slim, so you need to be in the mood for it, but the prices are reasonable and the value is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flavorful first "tryst"StephijonDined on 10/23/2013Food delicious...server Evan very helpful with suggestions, attentive to our needs. Four stars out of five. Will return soon!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality with varietyHapticDined on 10/22/2013I was looking for a restaurant to meet the budget requirements of recently employed 20-somethings and with a menu of quality and creative dishes that would satisfy a range of tastes. Tryst delivered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All items that we orderedrebounderVIPDined on 10/14/2013All items that we ordered were well-prepared and tasted amazing!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific is an understatementarpegioDined on 10/6/2013Delicious and creative dishes accompanied by a good if eclectic wine list and excellent service. The chef/owner deserves all the accolades.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experienceLarryDined on 10/5/2013Wanted a place to watch sports on tv and have a good meal with friends. It's not a sports bar but enough TVs to enable us to do both comfortably. Great burgers and fries!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tips for a good restauruant:LouiseDined on 10/4/2013#1. A good bus boy does not make a good waiter: no matter how short-staffed you are PLEASE don't interchange them! #2. A waiter must have SOME experience being a waiter before you schedule him tables on a Friday night... SERIOUSLY? #3. A good waiter needs to be able to speak English. He has to be able to say more than "enjoy". He had trouble reading the specials that were written on an index card for him - what the.....? #4 Shouldn't have to ask "where's my drink" when it was our first drink and he visited the table next to us five times before I had to ask for it. Then spilled it on the table and my lap - thanks!Special Features: