689 Massachusetts Avenue
Arlington, MA 02720Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.trystrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7816412227
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Paul Turano
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Tryst restaurant hosts a wide variety of events ranging from small birthday parties to wedding receptions. Please contact us at the restaurant.
- Private Party Contact: Amber Michele 7816412227
- Entertainment: Sunday Brunch jazz trio beginning 9/13.
A word from Tryst Restaurant
Tryst Restaurant serves creative American cuisine, using local and seasonal ingredients.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Tryst Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Arlington ›
Tryst Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
103 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (74)fit for foodies (52)special occasion (29)great for brunch (27)good for groups (19)vibrant bar scene (16)romantic (13)notable wine list (9)hot spot (7)great for lunch (5)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Wonderful BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/15/2014We've not been to Tryst three times for brunch - over the last year. It's very dependable, delicious, plenty of food, good service.Special Features:
- Great food and excellent serviceRobinVIPDined on 6/13/2014Consistently good food and great service. A little pricey but they make a great burger at a reasonable price. Also they have great fries.Special Features:
- Tryst is greatPrecatDined on 6/10/2014Another great meal with friends. We sat at a high top in the Bar Area and conversed easily. All four of our meals were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shrimp tacos!LuckyDucky149Dined on 6/7/2014Overall a great spot for dinner. Really enjoyed our meals, especially the shrimp tacos. Very delicious. (Though I thought there was a little too much avacado and also I am not sure the menu specified the shrimp is fried.) Everything else we ate was quite tasty, including my salmon and my husband's swordfish. If you're looking for a super romantic restaurant not sure if this will do it for you. While the ambiance is pretty good, I wouldn't also say it's a very romantic spot. The bar is right there, too. And there are several TV's mounted on the walls, so it still felt a little too much like a bar. Not that I have anything against bars at all...just wasn't what I was expecting.Special Features:
- Good but loudarlingtondinerDined on 6/6/2014Very enjoyable dinner - consistently good appetizers and entrées. It is very LOUD - makes it difficult to converse.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for business clientsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/2/2014I took clients from out of town to Tryst and they overwhelming approved of the choice. Everyone enjoyed the food and the service was great. Tryst is casual, unpretentious but also a place with atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noise level was challengingDianeDined on 5/30/2014The bar area is noisy and it affects the dining adversely.Special Features:
- perfect dinnerborntoyumDined on 5/23/2014My wife and I met our son and his fiancé at Tryst for dinner. They highly recommended it from a previous visit, and we can see why. The food, drinks, service, and atmosphere were all outstanding. We shared the calamari and the shrimp taco appetizers. Both were extremely tasty, but if I had to choose one as a favorite, it would be the shrimp tacos. We all chose different entrees and were happy with our selections. On the basis of our very helpful server's recommendation, I opted for the Pig Under a Brick. One word review: Delicious! We will definitely return to Tryst!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great Dinnermjw22Dined on 5/22/2014I've never had a bad experience here. Service is great and the food is greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, hasty serviceNonicknameDined on 5/16/2014It's the second time I've eaten at Tryst. First time was on Super Bowl Sunday with a girlfriend also trying to avoid football madness. Although for some odd reason the restaurant has way too many TVs we were able to ignore The Game and enjoy the delicious food. My second time was on a Friday around 6:30 and the place was hopping. The food was good -- not as dazzling as before but the service felt rushed and that added an unpleasant element.Special Features:
- Very nice place with great serviceCrankinSteveVIPDined on 5/10/2014Enjoyed our meals, especially the service. Nice to have the smaller dishes along with the larger entrees. All in all, a place where we will return. Also, we were able to find parking on the street nearby making it pleasant to drive there.
- Birthday DinnerLikeToEatDined on 5/9/2014I took my wife to Tryst because the last time we were there, she absolutely loved the duck entree. But, on that evening, duck was not on the menu. So, my wife picked the chicken entree and it was slightly too dry. I ordered the Bourbon Steak Tips and they were tasty. Overall, the service was good, the ambience was quiet and somewhat romantic (gave us a table at a corner, but noticed our table did not have a table cloth, yet the tables across from us, did...). I was not as impressed as the last time, and it was not a bad experience, but had higher expectation from our initial visit. I will try it again ... maybe for brunch and see how it is.Special Features:
- LOVE itMrsBVIPDined on 5/8/2014This place is such a gem! We've enjoyed cocktails and the wine list, and look forward to working our way through the menu. Service is friendly and attentive. I wish they had fewer TV's but aside from that A+!Special Features:
- comfortablegingerDined on 5/6/2014Relaxed comfortable setting, salmon was fabulous, wait staff very attentiveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Arlington restaurantbthereorbsquareDined on 5/3/2014First time at Tryst, and I'll definitely go back. Everything I ordered was delicious, and my fellow diners felt the same way. I was impressed, pleased, and delighted. THe waiter was excellent, suggested a red wine that was perfect, and did an amazing job of being graciously attentive while also dealing with a very busy restaurant.Special Features:
- Bourbon Glazed Steak TipsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/3/2014I ordered these mostly due to the waiter's recommendation and ability to explain how they are cooked. They were great! The glaze wasn't too sweet and they were cooked perfectly. The service was great but it took a while to get our drinks at the beginning of the night. However the rest of the night went perfectly. Many of the staff checked in on us to offer more bread, water and just to make sure everything was okay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exc. food but too noisy to talkOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/2/2014Love the food. Excellent presentation as well as delicious. But the noise level was way too high to be able to talk with my friends I was dining with. Not sure what you can do about that since it's your patrons who are producing the noise but it really takes away from the overall experience of dining with friends you want to talk with.Special Features:
- A surpriseChanteuseDined on 4/30/2014I had not been to Tryst in a long time. It has been beautifully renovated with a hip bar and areas for quiet dining and for casual dining. The food it outrageously good!!! The price is surprisingly reasonable. It will be my new go to restaurant in my area!!! Fantastic! Can't wait to go back and tell my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AccommodatingSomervilleoldtimerDined on 4/30/2014I was having dinner with a friend who had been going through hard times and we needed to be able to talk. We had requested a quiet back table and were seated at the perfect one, in a corner away from the speaker playing music. We were able to talk and hear one another easily.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliably great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/28/2014Tryst is always good - their menu offers something for everyone and everything is tasty and reasonably priced. Service is friendly and efficient. It's a large open space so when the bar is full or there are large parties of diners, it can be noisey. Despite this, it's a great choice for dinner or brunch.Special Features:
- Fantastic brunchshutterbcDined on 4/27/2014We had a delicious brunch with friendly staff that helped seat us in an area where a baby would be easy to sit with us. Everything on the brunch menu tasted great and the kitchen was easily able to handle special requests. A very positive experience. The prices were in line with what we expected; just a little higher than average but also food quality above average in an above average setting. Definitely worth coming back to again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodCandLdineDined on 4/25/2014We tried the restaurant on a Friday night and were able to get reservations with no problem. The food was fantastic the service was great and I would definitely recommend itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hard to have a TrystDennisDined on 4/24/2014The open format, 'energetic' noise level and bright lighting makes Tryst a modern American bistro. With flat screens salted around the restaurant, bare wooden high tables and stool seating it is also part sport bar. The space has been re-designed from the quiet, indirectly lit gem that originally inspired its name. It's hard to imagine the romantic trysts suggested by the restaurant's website graphics taking place at the current Tryst. That said, like all bistros it's a place for friends to meet over good food, good wine and much good cheer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, great peopleOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/24/2014Upfront I will say that I love Tryst. And this meal demonstrates why. Warm welcome on arrival, superb service, and then they made an appetizer to order. We wanted grilled calamari instead of fried. Not only did the chef accommodate us, the dish he gave us was superb. All around lovely evening.Special Features:
- wonderful foodMarshaVIPDined on 4/19/2014I had the spaghetti Bolognese as an appetizer. Marvelous, perfect really. And for dinner, the pork shank, cooked to perfection as the excellent waiter said it would be. Crisp on the outside, spoon-soft on the inside, and with a wonderful and subtle, "perky" sauce. The bread pudding dessert was sublime. The cabernet (the cheapest on offer by the glass) was surprisingly good, and a nice full glass. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Frist time there -- will returnFavabeanDined on 4/16/2014This was my first time at Tryst. Had the fried calamari for an appetizer followed by their bolognese. The calamari was excellent as was the bolognese. Service was okay. I think the waitress was a bit annoyed that my friend and I did not order a dessert, another glass of wine, or more food. Her tip reflected how we felt about her service. All in all, i would for sure return to Tryst.Special Features:
- great brunchecurranrxDined on 4/13/2014had a fantastic brunch here last weekend. I had the mushroom omlette which was fantastic and a side of the hash which changes flavor weekly, this week it was pork and was delish. My husband had heuvos rancheros which was good had a crispy tortilla instead of the usual soft version which he enjoyed. Was sort of loud probably due to the hardwood floors an open ceiling, but they also had booths which looked cozy and would probably be easier to converse in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just about averageOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/13/2014Great place for conversation. Very spacious and open. Not many food options for vegetarians or vegans other than salads. Also, if you go there for brunch- they only have whole milk for your coffee. The service was great. Kid friendly restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The menu changed since theToughtopleaseVIPDined on 4/11/2014The menu changed since the last time we were there and it felt like there were fewer choices. Basically I think the food here is well prepared, but the menu is rather limited.
- Good Arlington Center diningCarolisoDined on 4/11/2014Tryst is a vibrant restaurant with a nice (if noisy) ambiance, good service, and excellent food. The burgers are some of the best, and there are a wide variety of other dishes to suit the palette. Mixed drinks were so-so.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was goodTheDeveloperDined on 4/5/2014Everything I had, had kind of a picklely taste. The server was excellent. Kale salid was good. The Salmon burger was not great. Steak Tips were very good. OMG, the Key Llme cheesecake was fabulous. It's not a Tryst like atmosphere. Its more like dinner with a group of friends type place. I would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very fine dining in ArlingtonSunnyflashDined on 4/5/2014We were in the vicinity and read about Tryst. It was delightful. The kale/brussel sprouts salad is terrific and the short rib entree and bolognese were both delicious as well. A delightful find!Special Features:
- Great food, quite noisySueSVIPDined on 3/29/2014We've enjoyed several meals at Tryst and will definitely be back. The food is always well prepared, and they do many interesting combinations. On this visit my husband had the salmon and I had the short ribs. We loved both. We had a pork tenderloin appetized, which we both enjoyed. Our only criticism is the noise level, which makes conversation difficult.Special Features:
- ConsistancyJohnDined on 3/29/2014We have been to Tryst many times and have always enjoyed ourselves. Great place, great food, great service! The only problem issue, parking can be difficult .Special Features:
- Very Good choice outside of BostonCAllanDined on 3/27/2014Easy to get to without having to go all the way into Boston. Many delicious menu choices, apps through dessert. Food was very good all cooked well. It was nice having nearly their entire menu to chose from for restaurant week instead of just a few choices. When in the area definitely recommend stopping by.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The selections available forOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/26/2014The selections available for Dine Out Boston were extensive, the ability to select options other than the standard Starter, Entree and Dessert combination was well appreciated and the food was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always look forward to Tryst!rcs249VIPDined on 3/26/2014What we love about Tryst is the great food, extensive GF menu, high top tables, leisurely pace of the meal and great desserts!Special Features:
- great dinner venueLorraineDined on 3/26/2014I have eaten there numerous times when I visit an Arlington friend & wished there was a Tryst in Newton, my wish came true somewhat when the chef-owner opened Cook in Newtonville which has the same great food but a more casual atmosphere & far less seating. I was concerned about my favor salad of kale & bruises sprouts would also be @ Cook & IT IS!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slightly off but enjoyableFairDined on 3/23/2014Great coffee this time around and it was hot+++! Runny omelet I prefer items mixed in rather than stuffed, mushrooms should be cooked and dehydrated before they are put in and omelet should be cooked through which it was not. Toast should come with eggs, breakfast potatoes great but fried and heavy, Disliked the hash with pulled chicken...service was a bit off...Overall a good experienceSpecial Features:
- Always greatmjw22Dined on 3/20/2014I've never had a bad experience and I go frequently. Server Adam was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.