689 Massachusetts Avenue
Arlington, MA 02720Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.trystrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7816412227
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Paul Turano
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Tryst restaurant hosts a wide variety of events ranging from small birthday parties to wedding receptions. Please contact us at the restaurant.
- Private Party Contact: Amber Michele 7816412227
- Entertainment: Sunday Brunch jazz trio beginning 9/13.
A word from Tryst Restaurant
Tryst Restaurant serves creative American cuisine, using local and seasonal ingredients.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Tryst Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Arlington ›
Tryst Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
104 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (74)fit for foodies (53)special occasion (29)great for brunch (27)good for groups (19)vibrant bar scene (16)romantic (13)notable wine list (9)hot spot (7)great for lunch (5)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/11/2014There were 4 of us, and everyone thoroughly enjoyed their meal. The calamari was outstanding, crisp and tender. The pig under brick was perfect, as was the duck special and heirloom ravioli. Our server was very attentive, and the cocktails very innovative. Our only complaint was the noise level and the necessity of all the T.V.'s. You're either a sports bar or a traditional restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood favoritecherylglVIPDined on 10/9/2014This is our favorite local restaurant, which we walk to often and grab a seat at the bar or a table if one is available. This time I made a reservation because I was meeting a friend and wanted to make sure there was availability. The food, as always, was outstanding. The warm spinach salad had the right combination of savory and sweet and was dressed just right. The bolognese sauce is my favorite. Rich and tasty. My friend loved her pumpkin ravioli. Only complaint: Our waiter. This was the 2nd time I have had this waiter and I didn't realize it until it was too late. He was disinterested and unattentive, bordering on rude. I won't sit at one of his tables again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SwoonBostonFoodLoverVIPDined on 10/3/2014Kale salad is soooo good! The Pig Under a Brick was terrific, too. All in all, a lovely restaurant. It's crowded on Friday nights but the back was quiet and intimate.Special Features:
- a good experienceDunwichVIPDined on 9/26/2014We had been to Tryst before, but not in a while because it is a little out of the way for us. Our drinks, appetizers, and entrees (pasta) were all good. One negative for us is that the flat-screen sports TVs everywhere seem to clash with the other aspects of the dining experience.Special Features:
- great timewillyDined on 9/26/2014great service, taste, and variety. we go all the time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/25/2014Great food with a variety of large and small plates for those who like to try a bunch of things. Signature drinks delightful.Special Features:
- anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/8/2014My wife and I had a great anniversary dinner here...the lobster corn chowder was great and the salmon was too. For a Monday night they did a great job.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not only good food and ambiancemadrikhDined on 9/8/2014On t he OpenTable reservation form I made a 'special request' for a surprise for my companion-- nothing difficult, but nonetheless taking a bit of effort to remember and implement. Tryst was superb. They remembered, they executed, and it was clear from her smile when I gave my name that the greeter enjoyed the restaurant's role. It was a little bit of effort that made the evening very, very special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/5/2014I had two starters--shrimp tacos and the tomato salad. Both were VERY good. But, I have to say there was nothing else on the menu that interested me. If I went back, I would get the same thing and be very happy. But, I think they need to shift around their menu if I were to go there a lot.
- Gluten FreeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/5/2014They had gluten free choices which was good for my husband. And they removed the pepper from the flat iron steak for me. Food was excellent.Special Features:
- JkuhnDined on 8/27/2014Went their for my birthday during restaurant week, we enjoyed great food and service..couldn't ask for me!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood favoritecherylglVIPDined on 8/23/2014Since we can walk to this restaurant, we come here often to sit at the bar and enjoy an informal dinner. We invited friends this time so made an actual reservation. The food was, as always, excellent, from the fried oysters to the kale salad to the tagliatelle with bolognese. We were surprised with the unfriendliness of our waiter. He was efficient, but a bit surly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversaryDined on 8/22/2014Great Menu with many vegetarian and gluten free options as well as plenty of fish and meat. Deliciously prepared and served. Wish the place was a bit quieter. Will try for brunch.Special Features:
- another good experienceRoRoDined on 8/19/2014Still love the kale salad. Great place for restaurant week meal. Excellent service as usual.Special Features:
- best burgerswolfeyes528VIPDined on 8/18/2014Not quite sure why their burgers are so delicious, but they are. Best burgers around!Special Features:
- resrvationsVIPDined on 8/18/2014A/C set much too high; having to wear coats & jackets to try and be comfortable not desirable; Shivering while dining is not pleasant. Shrimp taco was good; Peach pie a little on the dry side; Salmon was tasty but also on the dry side; My dining companion enjoyed the chicken entreeSpecial Features:
- YummspicyfanDined on 8/17/2014Great value during Dine Out Boston. Shrimp taco is superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For Sunday Brunch, Look No FurtherBostonSeanDined on 8/17/2014I'd say Tryst has the most delicious brunch around. Four of us went there during dine out Boston, combining for seven different menu items--and all seven were positively scrumptious! One might be an accident, two a lucky break, but seven? You can take that to the bank (of your stomach!).Special Features:
- A pleasant evening.HenrunDined on 8/13/2014Good service. Good food. We sampled 2 of the wines we were thinking about. Food was creatively presented and in ample portions. We were 2 couples and we're able to hear each other without difficulty and stayed to talk for some time without being pressured to leave. Prices were fair. The only negative was the quality of the coffee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over-attentive staffAMtwoVIPDined on 8/5/2014The over-attentive staff was a bit off-putting. At one point, I almost told the hostess to just go away and not come back. A busser tried to take our appetizer twice while we were still eating it, long before our mains showed up. Despite good food, the service was the driver for our experience & rating. I really liked my appetizer and dinner, but it was tough to enjoy the food and conversation with our friend when staff kept interrupting us. We probably had a half dozen different people check on us multiple times throughout the evening. Our reservation was on a Tuesday night, and there were plenty of empty tables, so they didn't need to rush us. If I go back, I will certainly sit at the bar, to attempt to escape the over-attentive staff.
- Great Meal on Saturday NightOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/2/2014Tryst is always a pleasure to dine at. Tryst is very accommodating to reservation needs. Joseph is a great, professional, waiter.Special Features:
- Consistently greatFoodie87VIPDined on 8/1/2014This chef rivals those in Boston and Cambridge. Food is inventive and well prepared. Our server was attentive.Special Features:
- Date nightKellyVIPDined on 7/30/2014Friendly and attentive wait staff and fantastic food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner!BRFadeVIPDined on 7/25/2014Had a table in the bar on Friday evening and as usual the food was great! My wife had the steak tips which were awesome (I def had food envy!) which came with a salad and pasta side dish. The tips were tender and delicious and were a great value. We shared the Tapas which was also terrific. Really interesting variety of items with the Serrano ham, chorizo stuffed dates and the peppadews. I had a burger for my main and was done perfectly (medium rare)! We sort of had revolving servers but everyone was great and service never lacked. Bar scene was great as well and we enjoy dining there more than the back of the restaurant. Tryst always has an interesting menu and lots of choices which is the reason to return to try other dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Cocktails!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/25/2014We stopped in for a quick appetizer and drink before heading to a party and everything was great! The bartenders are so nice and the drinks were delicious. I love the shrimp tacos!Special Features:
- Great Dinnermjw22Dined on 7/24/2014I've never had a bad experience here. Service is great and the food is greatSpecial Features:
- Delicious foodfoodforthoughtDined on 7/20/2014We went there for my mother's birthday and had great food and wonderful service. I've been there three times and it's been great all three times.Special Features:
- Fantastic food made to orderOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/20/2014I was trying to watch my calories when I had dinner at Tryst with a group of friends, so I asked for my favorite kale/brussel sprout salad to be made a little differently and had that for dinner (dressing on the side and add grilled chicken). One of my friends liked how it sounded so he ordered the same thing. We both thought it was fantastic; i would come back and sit at the bar to have that salad any night I did not feel like making dinner. This is not the first time I've asked for modifications to something on the menu; every time they cheerfully take my request and the chef creates a great tasting dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful mealOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/19/2014We had a fantastic dinner at Tryst on Saturday night. My wife and I just moved to Arlington and our parents were visiting and staying with us for the first time. We brought them to Tryst and they LOVED it. Everyone was pleased with their meals and raved about them the following day. We would definitely go back!Special Features:
- Lovely ladies who brunchGirlsgonewildDined on 7/13/2014We had a great time at Tryst! The waiter was outstanding p, ver attentive to all of our needs! The mimosas had the right amount of champagne definitely not too much orange juice. The food was delicious! The meal started with a complimentary scone or lemon pound cake. The scone way yummy did not try the pound cake. The huervas rancheros was also outstanding. It arrived hot and was layered every bit delicious. The egg was perfectly cooked and the sauce was tangy but not too spicy.Special Features:
- First time, will return again soon!PAS2539VIPDined on 7/12/2014Tryst is an unpretentious, solid, good restaurant. The Kettel One Citron martinis were perfect (and generous). We love calamari and ordered it as an appetizer. The helping was generous (for two) and they were nicely prepared. My husband had the "pork under a brick" and I had the swordfish. Both were generously sized, well prepared (neither over-cooked), and very tasty. No room for dessert! Definitely will return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service lackingPickyButReasonableDined on 7/10/2014I had high hopes for Tryst, as I had heard good things and had had dinner on a Tuesday evening with friends that went very well. However I should have been alerted when the front door had a big sign on it saying they had openings for help. The waiters (we had 2 - one was training) were not attentive - when we said we need a couple of minutes more to look at the menu, they returned 20 minutes later after we had to ask to have them sent over. (It was not busy yet.) The restaurant got progressively busier, and our service become consistently worse. My steak tips were cooked well done when I asked for them to be medium. It took 20 minutes to get a new plate. They offered us free dessert, but we didn't want any more poor service.Special Features:
- Delicious BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/6/2014After coming back from vacation, the last thing we wanted to do was shop and cook. Enter Tryst! With a delicious brunch, fabulous location, and relaxed atmosphere, it was just what we needed. We'll definitely be back!Special Features:
- SOLID. Solid as a rockamyd1972VIPDined on 7/6/2014Tryst is the kind of place you NEED in your hood. They do everything consistently well. Love this place.Special Features:
- excellentMarshaVIPDined on 6/28/2014This is a wonderful restaurant, with an interesting and delightful menu. All the choices I've made have been super--steak tips, chicken, pork, the noodles with Bolognese.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food in neighborhoodreturnagain14Dined on 6/26/2014Really enjoyed food. Portions are generous. Menu is very diverse.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, once againOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/26/2014I have been to tryst a number of times and have always enjoyed it and this visit was no different. We were there for girls night out. We were able to relax and we were not rushed at all. Our server was pleasant and helpful. I had the shrimp tacos and really enjoyed them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatmjw22Dined on 6/25/2014I've never had a bad experience here. Service is great and the food is greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 747 reviews are from the Tryst Restaurant reviews archive.
- Consistently good, creative foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/21/2014Paul's food is creative, very tasty and there is nice variety on his menu. The right prices and a friendly staff make Tryst a real find and a favorite spot.Special Features:
- Lovely new experienceBrooklineFoodieDined on 6/20/2014I dined for the first time with a friend at Tryst before seeing a show nearby. We both loved it. We shared a shrimp taco for an appetizer that was perfect. Then we split a pig entree that was different and delicious. The waitstaff split both dishes for us after we told them we were sharing. They were mindful of our need to leave in time for the performance. I will surely return.Special Features: