Sacred Cod - Chatham Bars Inn
297 Shore Road
Chatham, MA 02633Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Sacred Cod - Chatham Bars Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.chathambarsinn.com/
- Phone: 5089456872
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 11:30am - 5:00pm and 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Anthony Cole
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: For more information about conferences and catering go to www.chathambarsinn.com.
A word from Sacred Cod - Chatham Bars Inn
Cozy dining. Perfect for a casual meal. What could be more inviting than an authentic New England-style tavern? Sacred Cod at the Chatham Bars Inn is cozy and comfortable, warm and welcoming with its rustic vaulted ceiling, brass chandelier and timeworn wood-paneled walls. Enjoy a cocktail and appetizers at the massive old-style bar, or pull up a table and enjoy hale and hearty New England favorites such as lobster pie or fresh fish from the Chatham Pier.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Sacred Cod - Chatham Bars Inn - Best Restaurants in Chatham ›
Sacred Cod - Chatham Bars Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
38 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
kid-friendly (16)special occasion (11)fit for foodies (10)good for groups (8)great for lunch (5)neighborhood gem (5)vibrant bar scene (4)notable wine list (4)scenic view (4)romantic (2)hot spot (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Food & service good. NotgatsbyVIPDined on 9/14/2012Food & service good. Not a great place for an early dinner. Lots of people in the bar on their CELL PHONES - speaking very loudly with no regards to those of us dining. It was also a playroom for children. There was a large group with at least 6 loud & active children. These kids were allowed to roam the dining room yelling & playing with their toys. Their parents said nothing as they moved away from their table and ventured closer to our side of the dining room. We had sip our wine & dine while listening & watching these kids run around and play. Their parents were oblivious to them! NOT A GREAT CHOICE.Special Features:
- I'd hoped this would be besteDitsVIPDined on 8/26/2012I'd hoped this would be best of mid-cape given the reputation of the Inn. Meal was good but not great.Special Features:
- Not too much to say exceptOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/21/2012Not too much to say except we were very happy with the food and service.Special Features:
- Tavern Food at CBI not up to parOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/17/2012Chatham Bars Inn is one of my favorite venues for dining, views, ambiance, and service. The food, especially the clam bake buffets, is usually excellent; however, I was not impressed with the food at the tavern in aug 2012. Seems like there was a Tabla trained chef and most dishes in my party of 6 were not well received. Plank salmon was good but all else was fair. Too bad. Should stick with more traditional fare until they get the basics down.Special Features:
- The Tavern at the ChathamOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/10/2012The Tavern at the Chatham Bars Inn is a pretty place but do not go there if you don't like kids everywhere running around and really not well behaved! The food, however, for a tavern is very good.Special Features:
- It is important to know thatOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/4/2012It is important to know that we ate dinner here, when Chatham had a brownout, of power. High humidity, and little air conditioning, if any. We called, and were told there was power, but arrived, and they were having problems. We chose to stay and make the best of a beautiful resort, and wonderful food. We are still able to have a nice dinner. Food was delicious. Waitstaff attentive. Ambiance to the surroundings.Special Features:
- AmylsimmonsFoodiefromnycDined on 8/3/2012The cod tavern is a beautiful spot at a gorgeous hotel that doesn't feel the need to make their menu sing since they have so many captive guests. The food is fine and and service the same. It was a casual spot to Wat h the Olympics at the bar.Special Features:
- Was disappointed with theOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/3/2012Was disappointed with the meal. I don't mind paying top dollar for a good meal, ours was very average.
- Great food. Awesome service!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/28/2012Food was great. Service, even better. We had a 5 o'clock dinner reservation. Lots of young, and loud children, around.Special Features:
- The food was alright but unfortunatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/26/2012The food was alright but unfortunately the waiter spilled a whole plate down my husband's vest. Rather than removing both plates to allow us to have our dinner together, he left me to eat on my own while my husband was waiting for his food. Time was too short to have the vest cleaned, the only effort the restaurant made was the fact that we did not have to pay for the one dish that was spilled. A very poor way of making up for a spoilt evening!
- This is a worthy lunch ordddddVIPDined on 7/22/2012This is a worthy lunch or dinner stop if you prefer something casual, especially if you're a guest at the hotel. Clam chowder & pizzas were delicious! Pizza special for the evening was chicken with a mango BBQ sauce sprinkled with fresh blueberries....yes, blueberries. Crazy combo, but it totally worked & was a delicious slice of summer!Special Features:
- The food was terrific---lobstermidwyfeDined on 7/18/2012The food was terrific---lobster roll and fresh pasta. A bit pricey and the dining room is a bit stuffy. Terrific service. We switched to the porch for dessert to enjoy the great view. Frozen lemon creme-brulee w/blueberry and basil compote was amazing.Special Features:
- Perfect summer haunt! WeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/15/2012Perfect summer haunt! We took our 24 year old daughter, as a first time visitor to the outer cape and the food was fabulous.Special Features:
- A little pricey but the foodRussDined on 7/7/2012A little pricey but the food and service were very good
- We had a reservation for 7OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/4/2012We had a reservation for 7 PM. There was only one other party in the restaurant at the time. It was a large party with 6 children under 10 and the hostess sat us at the table right next to it. They were on desert so we took the table offered and sat down. Dinner was fine, the food was good and the service was adequate until it came time for the check. after dropping off desert menus we didn't see our waitress for ten minutes. I flagged down another waitress and asked for our check. We were told that our waitress was tied up with a large party on the other side of the room. We got the check and waited another ten minutes for the check to be processed. The restaurant was not busy, there was no reason for the delay in delivering the bill.Special Features:
- Late reservation. Seemed thescrwabashDined on 7/3/2012Late reservation. Seemed the staff was anxious to wrap it up, so the service suffered a bit. Food was fine. Good wine list, with some good values.
- The clam chowder and breadOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/8/2012The clam chowder and bread were wonderful. The entrees were small and lacked flavor. Wine starts at $10.00 - glass for house wine : I would not go back for entrees.
- Scratch Another off the ListJesamondoDined on 5/28/2012Food was expensive and mediocre at best. First and last visit.
- Very good food and atmosphere.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/27/2012Very good food and atmosphere. A bit pricey for what you get though.Special Features:
- Our reservations were forOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/13/2012Our reservations were for the Tavern and not the main dining room. I didn't realize this when I made the Open Table reservations. We have eaten in the dining room before, and it is much nicer than the Tavern- a much better view. The waitress might have pointed out that the swordfish meal came with a lot of leafy greens. I would not have ordered a salad, -which was more leafy greens. My wife did a dixie at the foot of the outside stairway. The curb to the driveway is painted with a wide white stripe, making it difficult for older people to judge the depth of the curb cut. She did phone the restaurant and informed the manager of her fall and complain about the tricky curb situation.
- Great chowder and seafood,OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/8/2012Great chowder and seafood, lobster nachos were fantastic. We ate in the bar side and had a great view of the Bruins game too ! Very friendly service and good choices for kids. We will be back.Special Features:
- Not up to the hype...OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/24/2012The host was great, he was friendly and engaging. The waitress was so slow and inattentive. There were so many people working there and I could see no reason for the delays and rare sitings of the waitress. The food was sub-par. My childs burger was black but we waited so long for the food to arrive we couldn't stand to wait for a replacement burger. My chicken dish was bland and way over priced for beans and roasted chicken, it lacked in every way. Then when we were done...we waited and waited and waited for the bill of the over-priced food. Needless to say we cancelled our reservations for the rest of the weekend and gave our business to other local establishments.
- Great food, a little pricey.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/19/2012Great food, a little pricey. The hotel is beautiful and right on the beach. Highly recommend it.Special Features:
- After we were seated at ourOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/18/2012After we were seated at our table,the hostess seated a family of four with very young children right next to us(tables were 2 feet apart). We asked to be moved to a more private area and were moved to a casual (Sub place like)wooden table and chairs area. For the price we paid for the drinks and meal, it was a rip off
- Quality facilities. Over pricedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/28/2012Quality facilities. Over priced wine & food. Service was slow and irregular.
- Price was high for a tavern ServOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/30/2011Price was high for a tavern Service could have been betterSpecial Features:
- We recently stayed at theVeronicaVIPDined on 12/30/2011We recently stayed at the Chatham Bars Inn and dined at the Tavern - delicious food!!!! I have nothing but great things to say about the place!Special Features:
- Trying too hard and failingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/29/2011Lovely dining room, excellent ingredients but the Chef did not seem to know what to do with them. Main dishes the equivalent of a music mashup. Slow service. Terrible wine list. Some decent choices but not enough variety in wines or price points. Overloaded with California Chardonnays, for example, but overlooking France. If you have to eat here, keep it simple and have a beer.
- Bad food at high pricesDougRVIPDined on 12/28/2011The food was terrible. I sent back my soup as it was so salty it was in edible. The rest of the meal was just soso, not a lot of flavor or a wow experience. A third-grader could do better. The place is beautiful, now you need a chef of the same caliber. Oh and it's crazy expensive for bad food.
- The Inn fell short of beingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/22/2011The Inn fell short of being what it used to be on many levels; the staff were exceptionally nice. The food was VERY disappointing----from the Tavern to the Christmas buffet, where quantity was confused with quality.
- food was very good and staffOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/12/2011food was very good and staff was fabulously conscientious and thoughtful! What a great locationSpecial Features:
- Have been to CBI Tavern manyNicknameHereVIPDined on 10/8/2011Have been to CBI Tavern many times. Atmosphere is more relaxed than their formal dining room, and the food comes from the same kitchen! Seating can be tight, as we noticed while watching staff navigate the long way around some tables to get to others, but that just means the place is busy because it's SO good. Couldn't tell if there was background music, but views from the resort cannot be beat - take a long, slow walk around the facility both before dinner and after... you won't regret it.Special Features:
- Food has declined since weHerbertVIPDined on 8/30/2011Food has declined since we were there last year--it was a mediocre meal, and last year was excellent.
- Excellent Upscale Family RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/21/2011Dined with 3 generations, 7o+ year old grandmother, 40+ mother and 13 year old girl, and we all loved it. The asparagus appetizer is terrific, as is the baked manicotti, muscles in white wine (though there should have been more broth), prime rib (succulent) and pasta Bolognese. We opted to order the "room service" chocolate cake instead of anything on the desert menu, which was to die for. Made for a great candle vehicle for a birthday celebration.Special Features:
- Excellent atmosphere--terrificBobEspoDined on 8/9/2011Excellent atmosphere--terrific tavern room. The food was also excellent--the service, however, was less than excellent. Waitress was not very attentive--gone for long periods of time.Special Features:
- Not worth the moneyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/29/2011We were seated between two groups of 8 and at times it was almost impossible to carry on a conversation. There were also several tables with young children that added to the noise. The prices were a high and the food was nothing special. The wine list was a major disappointment with no moderate priced bottles and the wines by the glass were overpriced as well.
- Loud, with lots of families,RobiesloveVIPDined on 7/29/2011Loud, with lots of families, decent food Oysters were dry, heirloom salad has nondescript tomatoes and iceberg lettuce The daily special of cod with vegetables was good, and do were the lobster corn beignettesSpecial Features:
- Horrible food, tacky atmosphere.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/9/2011Horrible food, tacky atmosphere. What was once a fine tavern is now a tourist spot.
- We had booked the Tavern forDecaybDined on 7/2/2011We had booked the Tavern for lunch, as other venues at CBI were not available, but it was a beautiful day and no one was inside. We went down to the outdoor seating area near the water. They seated us right away, but the prices were high for lunch fare - $16 - 23 - and the portions were small. My wife had the poached lobster salad ($18) and while she enjoyed it, it was really not sufficient for lunch. My fish tacos ($16) were pretty good - mahi-mahi in a chipotle mayo. Nice spot outdoors, but poor value outweighed the location.
- great breakfast and lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/16/2011great breakfast and lunch ,dinner was not much to pick from clam dish a little salty, would skip dinner thereSpecial Features: