Sacred Cod - Chatham Bars Inn
297 Shore Road
Chatham, MA 02633Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Sacred Cod - Chatham Bars Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.chathambarsinn.com/
- Phone: 5089456872
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 11:30am - 5:00pm and 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Anthony Cole
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: For more information about conferences and catering go to www.chathambarsinn.com.
A word from Sacred Cod - Chatham Bars Inn
Cozy dining. Perfect for a casual meal. What could be more inviting than an authentic New England-style tavern? Sacred Cod at the Chatham Bars Inn is cozy and comfortable, warm and welcoming with its rustic vaulted ceiling, brass chandelier and timeworn wood-paneled walls. Enjoy a cocktail and appetizers at the massive old-style bar, or pull up a table and enjoy hale and hearty New England favorites such as lobster pie or fresh fish from the Chatham Pier.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Sacred Cod - Chatham Bars Inn - Best Restaurants in Chatham ›
Sacred Cod - Chatham Bars Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
36 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
kid-friendly (12)special occasion (12)good for groups (8)fit for foodies (6)neighborhood gem (6)scenic view (4)notable wine list (4)great for lunch (4)vibrant bar scene (3)hot spot (3)romantic (3)late-night find (3)Show More
- It was all perfectly fine,OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/24/2013It was all perfectly fine, if a little on the expensive side. I just had a bit of a hard time paying that price and not being wowed by the food. But it will meet expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed w/Sacred Codfalmouthfoodies11Dined on 12/14/2013Any place at Chatham Bars Inn is special. You can't beat the ambiance but I found the food at the Sacred Cod to be not up to par and very pricey! Child's lunch was $14 The lobster roll was good but the salad of the day was skimpy and nothing specia and the cracker bread was extremely seasoned w/cumin and tons of black & white sesame seeds. Service was good and waitress and manager/host was very pleasant.
- DisappointingCCDinnerDined on 11/30/2013Food was just ok. Service was just ok. Atmosphere was just ok. Not at all what was expected from Chatham Bars Inn. Greatly overpriced for a mediocre experience.
- Sacred Cod - Update their InfodiningdivaVIPDined on 10/22/2013Selected this restaurant based on the distance from where we were staying. Menu on Open Table had enough variety to meet diverse preferences but it wasn't anything special. The restaurant was very different from what we expected - in all of the best ways. It wasn't a dark little Cape tavern with a modest offering of chowdah and bar food. It was a beautiful, well appointed dining room, high ceilings with a fabulous chandelier. The menu featured locally sourced produce, seafood as well as chicken, beef or duck that enticed you to want to sample everything. Snacks, small plates, and sides were prepared to highlight novel seasonal pairings that would standout in any Manhattan chef's Bon Appetit spread.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodBourneFoodieDined on 10/7/2013The food was very good but robotic service and almost empty dining room
- OverratedcapecodgirlDined on 10/5/2013The bar was very crowded and noisy. We waited over 40 mins. for a table and then when we were seated, it was not in the small dining room (which I had requested) but in the still noisy but less crowded bar. While the food and service were OK, we were there for a birthday dinner and I was disappointed to be having a $100+ dinner sitting at a tiny table in a bar with a baseball game playing in the background. Definitely wouldn't go back to this venue.
- Very slow serviceJogrisDined on 10/4/2013I was disappointed by the service, not because of our server as she was very good but because of the lack of server which made her job really difficult. The service was extremely slow.
- Excellent meal !!!bgoldyVIPDined on 9/1/2013Would go back. Nice to have a drink on the terrace and then dine at the Sacred Cod.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First TimeMikeDined on 8/31/2013The resturant was great, the food and service was outstanding, drinks a little pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Troubling ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/23/2013I ordered a nice bottle of champagne as the dinner was a celebration. It was WARM, certainly not cold, but actually warm. The waitress stood there with no idea what to do to help us. I recommended two glasses of champagne and she couldn't connect the concept. She certainly wasn't trained to provide good service, but to just do the basics. I should have rejected the bottle and stuck with glasses! I have been coming to Chatham for 50+ years, not a one stop visitor. Usually I am with men in the party to CBI, but not Friday. I don't ever recall getting this type of treatment when the men were around. Is it not a place for three women to dine?Special Features:
- Interesting placeChrisVIPDined on 8/22/2013It's the Hampton's of Cape Cod. Expensive cars, moms and daughters in matching outfit, and 10 year old boys in khakis and blue blazers. It's as pretentious as it gets. Reminded me of Bushwood from Caddy Shack. The food and service were very good though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kid Lover's ParadiseBarrrister59Dined on 8/16/2013We ate here twice during our visit to the Chatham Bars Inn. The first night we had a 6:15 PM reservation. Big mistake. We seemed to be the only couple without small children and it was a madhouse. We returned two days later for an 8 PM reservation and a completely different atmosphere. The food was very good as was the service. The tables, however, are very small and too close together.. I would recommend to couples without children that a later reservation is a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CBI fun but not greatBTONVIPDined on 8/9/2013Seafood should be outstanding at this price and this close to water but was only fair. Stripe bass was salty scallops slightly rubbery. Calamari snack was good, on the other hand Given the asking price all should be great. Very nice atmosphere and serviceSpecial Features:
- All-in-all it was a good experienceSLRWORKSDined on 8/8/2013The ambience was nice, but it was the "tavern" of a very beautiful resort. The food was good -- we had oysters, brick chicken, prime rib burger, Greek pizza and rosemary parmesan pizza and everyone was happy with their meals. We had two teenagers with us and the menu variety worked well. Our server was very attentive and friendly. The valet parking was well run and made getting in and out easy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentWoodster66VIPDined on 8/7/2013For our stay in Chatham, we were searching for an upscale restaurant. The tavern is open to the public not like the other restaurants at the Inn. From start to finish, the meal and service were top-notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Plesant Location with Decent FoodLizSVIPDined on 8/4/2013What we noticed was the kid-friendly nature. The very, and double underline friendy wait staff did an excellet job of catering to the younger crowd. Our food was well prepared--the calamari was very well done and the scallops were perfectly cooked. A very plesant change from all the fried fish/ long line/ poor service locations found all over Cape Cod.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not memorableCrosbyDined on 7/25/2013Have been dining at CBI for 20 years and for the past several I continue to ask myself why. What was once a treat in the dining room or a safe bet in the tavern has become an experience that is soon forgotten. The charm and ambience that was once a given at this Chatham landmark is slowly drifting out to sea. We (4) were not even in our chairs before water was being poured in our glasses and we were being asked about drinks. I realize the opposite is usually the problem, but in our case we were dancing around the wait staff as they were extremely eager to serve. The rapid fire service continued throughout the entire evening which made us feel extremely rushed. Food was fair, atmosphere was loud, would recommend for larger parties.Special Features:
- Upscale bar foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/20/2013The service was friendly but of mixed efficiency, the staff seemed at times to be at odds with one another. The specials were good but the staples, for the Cape, (chowder, etc.) were unremarkable. Some will find the quality and prices out of synch, but the location is great if you're planning on walking down to the shore or relaxing in the lobby.Special Features:
- Great all the way around.EricDined on 7/18/2013Our service was excellent. She was very friendly and knowledgable. Their wine list is extensive and their food was cooked to perfection. The presentation of their food, from their oysters through to their entries, were well done. Great experience and we will definitely return the next time we are on the Cape.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what I expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/1/2013The overall venue is beautiful. But the Tavern is small, dark, and nothing special. I would suggest you park, walk the grounds, and then eat somewhere else.
- Old World Ambiance!!!shady1dogDined on 6/28/2013We loved our dinner at the Sacred Cod Tavern/Chatham Bars Inn. It was scrumptious from the wine to the bread to the entrees. Will certainly go back again!!Special Features:
- Selection limited and overpricedSHarrisVIPDined on 6/24/2013There are better options in Chatham for this type of meal. We happened to be staying at Chatham Bars Inn so this was convenient. The menu had options but neither my wife or I could find something other than the burger that had a description that we thought sounded good. The burger was good but 10oz and $18 is a bit much.
- VarietyOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/15/2013We ate early as my in-laws are early birds. At 5:30 pm, it was not too busy and mostly young families dining. A bit of noise from nearby kids, but that's to be expected. The food was good. We ordered a variety of food from prime rib (the special) to fresh fish, chowder and salads. It was all very good. Service a tad slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small portions for big priceLocalfoodieVIPDined on 6/6/2013And ambiance not much to remember. Stick with a drink and snack on porch and enjoy the view
- A special Cape Cod restaurantGrandmaDined on 5/27/2013Location, location, location! Chatham Bars Inn is located overlooking the water and such a lovely, charming and elegant Inn. We ate in the casual Tavern and the food and atmosphere was perfect. A very enjoyable evening.Special Features:
- Although we intended to haveOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/23/2013Although we intended to have dinner, we left after our (delicious) soup and drinks. The menu was interesting but fairly limited in selection and we just didn't find anything that appealed. The service was good, and room was comfortable. I wouldn't discourage anyone from checking it out.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fries to die forFelnerfoodieDined on 5/12/2013While the lobster flatbread was out of this world, the fries which came with my husband's dinner were absolutely the best I have ever had. I would come back just for them, but the variety on the menu is very enticing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing visit. TheyOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/11/2013Disappointing visit. They have changed the menu and taken off some of the better dishes like the Chatham Cod so I ordered chicken dish that was very fatty and really inedible. We chose a bottle of wine that they did not have, and then chose another and they did not have that either. The lobster bisque had no lobster in it. They have eliminated the caesar salad which was a favorite. Will not go back again after this experience and the changes, given the price.
- This time a worthwhile pricey treatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/22/2013This was the first time we had eaten at the Tavern of CBI though we had occasionally eaten previously over the years in the main dining room of the CBI and been a bit disappointed. This dining was "off" season so definitely quiet, but we found the food delicious. The bread with dipping oil excellent; we said no to the offer of more only because of the need to watch calories. The tomato soup was the best I've ever had. The Tavern is pricey. Our meal without dessert or coffee and with one of us having two appetizers rather than an entre consumed our $100 gift card.Special Features:
- I live on the Cape, so anOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/1/2013I live on the Cape, so an inviting view of the ocean is not necessarily a draw for me. I think the Chatham Bars Inn counts on its location and former reputation to justify the prices it charges. Our meals were fine, with no major complaints, but I have had better meals elsewhere on the Cape for much less. The Tavern was nice but not exceptional in appearance and ambience. I looked at the wine list and was not surprised to see that a glass of wine cost more than a bottle of respectable domestic wine and a typical bottle of CBI wine cost as much a my weekly groceries. You may ask, if I was so disappointed with CBI why did I go there. The simple answer is that I was given a gift certificate by a friend who thought he was doing me a favor.Special Features:
- Not the real dealOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/31/2013Being one of the nicest resorts on the Cape, I had visions of the tavern being (or at least feeling) like an authentic, cozy New England bar (similar to the Brotherhood of Thieves on Nantucket). A place with reclaimed wood floors, post and beam construction and rustic furniture. Instead, the Tavern feels like an Applebees with a faux nautical touch. Not that this would be a problem for a place that sold $10 burgers. But the burgers at the Tavern are tipping the scales at $17 and a kids hot dog registers at $9. Despite feeling like a mall, the food was just okay. The service was good, if good service includes constantly re-filling water glasses and conversation interrupting questions like "Is everything okay?". I
- We ate lunch in the tavernLoreDined on 3/31/2013We ate lunch in the tavern on Easter Sunday which was very pretty. The food was on the expensive side especially for salads although they were large portions and delicious.Special Features:
- The food was not up to theOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 3/24/2013The food was not up to the standards of such a highly rated hotel. Mediocre at best.
- Excellent food and service.woodyVIPDined on 2/28/2013Excellent food and service. We had clam chowder and squash soup. Sandwiches and pizza are excellent. Great menu selection of seafood.Special Features:
- Horrible food /will never go backMillsDined on 2/16/2013My husband and I dined there on 2/16/13. We are a pretty good judge of food and are very familiar with all types of restaurants. Our first experience was with the bartender who was an elderly man who didn't even say 2 words to us. He didn't know how to make a vodka Martini which we were charged $15 for my husband had to bring the drink back and tell them how to make it. He was Very rude. Later for dinner we ordered the Prime Rib at $30 now this wasn't some king cut it was a normal size. I don't mind paying as long as the food and service are good. Neither happened here. I ordered Prime Rib rare. The waitress gave me a medium well gray piece of meat. And I was told "that's as rare as your going to get it" !
- Enjoyed everything about thisOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2013Enjoyed everything about this dinner. From the moment we arrived we were greated by a friendly staff. The valet and doorman, host and hostess and waitstaff were all warm and attentive. Being Valentines Day, the room filled quickly, but we never felt rushed or neglected. The four course Valentine's dinner special was terrific.($45. per person, a great price for the meal we were served) We enjoyed a bottel of Sauvignon Blanc($45) with our meal and it paired perfect. The lobster risotto starter was perfectly cooked and the salid, lite and flavorful. I had the sirloin steak and my date the tuna steak both cooked perfectly. The flourless chocolate cake was a perfect end to a great dining experiece. We will be returning to The Tavern again.Special Features:
- Outstanding as always. EvenOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/26/2013Outstanding as always. Even in the winter the stark beauty of the location is apparent. Food and service were worth the trip.Special Features:
- Great place in January on the CapeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/11/2013An enjoyable anniversary evening. We have gone here before and enjoyed it. Although the salmon was a bit less than expected the lamb shank was excellent. you cannot beat the ambiance and service - always excellent. Only complaint was that when we dropped car off for valet we were told there was no need for a ticket as they were not very busy (unusually true)and that our car would be parked right by the door. When we came out to get our car, the valet told us no one gets parked without a ticket. did get our car but attitude was nasty. We both would recommend this place to friends and visitors. you have got to love the total experience.
- The food was very good butWalkersDined on 12/15/2012The food was very good but the service was unsettling. The waitress did not offer a wine list initially. When we asked if there was a wine list she recommended a discounted list of discontinued wines. The wines on the list were extremely expensive and not common or recognizable.When we chose to stay with wine by the glass with a more recognizable and familiar name her attitude became condescending. This attitude continued throughout the experience. We dine in better establishments on a regular basis and found this unacceptable. We have been to the Chatham Bars Inn before and will probably return. We, however, will not accept this server!!!Special Features:
- Great local seafood and thewoodyVIPDined on 12/14/2012Great local seafood and the steaks were excellent. Great waitstaff and hostess.Special Features: