SALT - Boulder
1047 Pearl Street
Boulder, CO 80302Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
SALT - Boulder
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.saltthebistro.com/
- Phone: 303-444-7258
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Happy Hour: 3:00pm - 5:00pm
Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - Close
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Farm to Table
A word from SALT - Boulder
The philosophy at SALT is simple; a belief that the best food travels the shortest distance from farm to table, that menus should change with the seasons and that the locally sourced ingredients, combined with European technique and innovative thinking make for a truly remarkable experience. Chef Bradford Heap and his staff have made a commitment to source local, organic and fresh ingredients whenever possible. The menu reflects this mind-set, simple, yet elegant and delicious. The wines, while sourced all over the world offer our guests some classic profiles, while introducing them to some new and exciting choices as well as a pre-prohibition cocktails with a twist. Approachable, but sophisticated. Enjoy!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
SALT - Boulder - Best Restaurants in Boulder ›
SALT - Boulder reviews from OpenTable diners
179 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (112)neighborhood gem (61)great for outdoor dining (54)hot spot (53)special occasion (50)romantic (33)great for lunch (29)vibrant bar scene (27)notable wine list (25)good for groups (22)great for brunch (20)late-night find (7)scenic view (7)kid-friendly (5)Show More
- How sad!TasterDined on 5/5/2014For a restaurant that has been terrific, this experience was a great disappointment. Food wasn't great, and service was really poor. Waiter was hardly present.
- SALT is simply the bestJerryBDined on 5/5/2014We love everything about SALT. The food is always great, the service attentive and the setting in Boulder so pleasant. We just keep coming back when we want a special dining experience.Special Features:
- Outdoor seating at SALTOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/3/2014Seating on the south side of Salt is incredibly cramped and uncomfortable. If there were, literally, two more inches between chairs, then it would be cozy. As it was, we had to step over people and cram ourselves into the table. If you can convince them, sit on the east side instead. The one advantage of the south side is the view of the mountains and the people watching on Pearl.
- Best lemonadeOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/3/2014I took my Nieces while they were visiting from Baltimore. We loved Salt, the best lemonade EVER! Also, Hanna B was the most attentive waitperson we have ever seen!Special Features:
- Happy Hour and DinnerNettyDined on 4/30/2014Love their "create your own" cocktail option - and for the happy hour price you can't beat it. Made some yummy concoctions and the bartenders were great. Dinner was really nice. My husband's chicken was huge and well prepared (although his potatoes were a bit undercooked). Us ladies both got the gnocchi, which was very flavorful but could have used a tad more pork, as the portions were average to small, so not a ton of protein on there. Our other friend had the Cod which looked amazing and he said was wonderful. Overall a nice experience, very good service, and loved the bar.Special Features:
- Food and Drinks=good; Service=slow!coloradomomDined on 4/26/2014My review title says it all. We waited FOREVER for our meal once we were seated and ordered. Portions are not huge, which is probably a good thing. It was LOUD in there for sure. A busy Saturday night.
- first time was the best timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/26/2014Maybe the time of year was the trouble, I am not privy to that information. The flavor of salt was way overdone on the main course I ordered (special of the day - lamb, shrimp). The appetizer was amazing, the flavors of the beets were allowed to complement the sauce, thank-you.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/25/2014Wonderful food. We had the BBQ beef brisket and it was delicious.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChatandeatDined on 4/21/2014Not enough veggie options--something potentially veggie might be cooked or wrapped in bacon. We got a fairly sheltered table but still the noise level blocked conversation--we were yelling very simple things at each other. We agreed that we would not be returning.
- Strage offerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/20/2014Salt offered a $45 Easter Brunch on the web and on advertising posters. There was no Easter Brunch, just the normal brunch menu. Strange! Also, we eat here far less often than we might because of a strange rule that reservations only allowed for 5 or more. Good food, strange advertising and reservation rules.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Me-mosas all aroundREnew52VIPDined on 4/20/2014Salt offers a mix your own mimosa which was lots of fun at our Easter Brunch. Three different bottles of sparkling wine are offered on the menu. Pick one bottle and then pick three juice "sides". They bring the various parts to the table and voila! Me-mosas! Brunch was outstanding as usual. A special pork Benedict was served which included pulled pork and spinach on the bread. Great combination.Special Features:
- Not bad but a bit pricey for dinnerakgnkabDined on 4/17/2014I've been to lunch at Salt before and really enjoyed myself, and felt that the food cost was well worth the quality of the lunch fare. However, this wasn't quite our feeling about dinner. The dinner fare we had at Salt was not bad. We had some cheese and meat before our meals (nice), one drink each, shrimp pesto risotto (acceptable), pork gnocci with chipolte sauce (very good!) and shared strawberry shortcake (good). While the service was good and the food was fine, it wasn't at the level I would expect for a $100+ meal. In the future, when we're willing to splurge on a more expensive dinner outing, I'll choose some place like Black Cat or Oak instead. We'll still definitely consider Salt again for a nice lunch.
- The entrees need some workOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/12/2014My lamb was almost raw and had to be recorded and my husband sent his steak back as it was too salty to eat and he likes salt! We never send food back and were surprised this happened at such a popular restaurant.Special Features:
- not that accommodatingbouldereatsDined on 4/5/2014My complaints are two: they wouldn't let us have appetizers from the happy hour menu at our table, even though we were there during happy hour (service is limited to the bar); and I ordered the risotto without shrimp - the "dinner" was unattractive, small, and the same price as with the shrimp.Special Features:
- Excellent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/4/2014We were served by Melissa, who was 100% wonderful from beginning to end. We were in the mood for hamburgers and fries, which were cooked perfectly. Highly recommend the kale Caesar salad.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerDianaDined on 4/4/2014Have eaten at Salt on a number of occasions and while I always find the food fabulous, this experience was not my favorite. I made a late reservation for dinner for 4 (8:15). We were seated in the wine cellar, which really turned out to be the bar downstairs. It was loud and crowded and not the special table I had asked if they had when I made the reservation. Will I go back? Of course. But perhaps not for a special event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious always!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/29/2014You can't go wrong with anything from the restaurant. Fresh ingredients make the meals amazing to the last bite. I fully recommend this restaurant to friends coming in through town. There are also 6 seats that are "fireside" so you can watch what's going on on the busy kitchen. A feast for all the senses!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was creative anddinomartinoDined on 3/29/2014The food was creative and delicious, but the front of house service was mediocre at best. For the prices we paid, i would have expected better details in the service. Water took 5 minutes. The food on the other hand was creative, and delicious. The serving sizes were surprisingly large. I would go back, but not for a fine dining experience.Special Features:
- Poor customer serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/29/2014We went there two nights in a row, the second night with eight people. I ordered the same meal. The first night it was fine. The second night the steak was gristly. When I sent it back, I was told the turnaround would be immediate; it took 20 minutes and the second steak was raw. I was told my appetiser could come with gluten free toast; it came with regular gluten toast. When I adked the waiteess who brought it about that (she had waited on us the previous night and showed no sign of recognition), she was curt. Overall, the staff is not friendly or warm, little eye contact or desire to make the customer feel welcome or appreciated.
- My wife and I decided to buyViccamDined on 3/27/2014My wife and I decided to buy dinner for a client after he had done us a favor. We shared the lamb chop special and our guest opted for a burger. It was not a bad dinner but in no way was it a $100 meal (especially considering that we had two entrees between the three of us and one of them was a lower priced item). People in Boulder need to demand better food for their money and not just trendy decor and good looking servers. P.S. it was ironic that everything was under seasoned at a restaurant called "Salt"Special Features:
- sorry, not overly impressed,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/18/2014sorry, not overly impressed, service really slow, food hit and miss. I'd go back, but wouldn't rush. Would I recommend? Not enthusiastically.
- Pretty Loud, Pretty GoodBensonDined on 3/7/2014I went to Salt on a first date. It was pretty loud, but the food was pretty good. The staff seemed to really care about the customers and about the food, so it was a pretty decent set up. It does, however, get pretty loud in there, so it was kind of difficult to have an intimate chat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- my favorite restaurant in BoulderOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/7/2014This is my recommendation for the place to eat in Boulder. I had the "local vegetable tasting" offering, which was wonderful, but I highly recommend all their dishes. The Tom's Burger and fabulous french fries, complimented by their homemade catsup are also a favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!BeckyDined on 3/1/2014Love this place...innovative and fresh. Imaginative pairings. Expanding wine list (more and better every time I eat here). Cool, authentic decor. Make a reservation or you won't get in!Special Features:
- First TimercubuffDined on 3/1/2014I went to school in Boulder a few years back and was recently in town to visit my sister. SALT had not been established since the last time I was in Boulder so we decided to try something new and we were NOT disappointed. Although the menu is small I think it allows this restaurant to do a few things very well! My mom and I split a burger and the lamb, while my sister and her friend ordered the risotto and gnocchi - all were fantastic! I would definitely recommend checking this place out! Another added bonus is the cool cocktail menu where you can customize a drink with great infusions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Food, Great ValueVpsuDined on 3/1/2014We were hungry, so we ordered quite a few items (scrapple, roasted beet salad, short ribs, mahi, and a special appetizer). The portion sizes are medium. Appetizers are appetizer size rather than full meals you find at the chain restaurants. The food, however, is exquisite! I might add, I had the best Manhattan ever my entire life at Salt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy, crowded and coldServocrankDined on 3/1/2014My husband and I went for date night and were excited by the farm-to-table concept. Unfortunately, the experience was not what we hoped. We were seated in the bar area which was very crowded. The waiter couldn't fit between the table to my right or the bar stools to our left, so he had to lean over my shoulder all night. The wine list and menu were somewhat limited. The appetizer was good as was the panna cotta at the end. The rest was fair at best. It was snowing that night so when the door opened, the couple next to us and we were blasted with cold air despite the heater over the door. I spent the whole time eating in my winter coat. For the price. the food, ambience and overall experience fell very short.Special Features:
- A Favorite with Good ReasonOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/28/2014SALT is a favorite restaurant of mine with good reason. The food is always outstanding, but the service is equally impeccable. I never show up without a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Brunch with FamilyMtHelixDined on 2/23/2014So glad we chose Salt for a family get together. Half of the seven came up from Denver and one member is a trained chef. Some of the others consider themselves foodies. Thankfully, all our menu items were very good - be sure to try the terrific scones! Brunch selections are varied, delicious and reasonably priced. Service was very attentive. We are new to the Boulder area and my husband said, 'this is going to be our new favorite brunch place!' We had a great time and will definitely return soon!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not very impressedAnne123VIPDined on 2/22/2014We went with high expectations. We started with a snotty recepcionist... We were early for our reservation, and had a drink at the bar. Good options of craft beers and cocktails.. Although we were 44 mins early they still only sat us 15mins after our reservation. Once we sat on our table we had to get their attention to order, also saw everyone else getting bread and we did not so we had to ask for it. The food was delicious, but very slow. Fries were not fresh. Not sure I'll go back.... Maybe just an off night..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful date night dinner!Dee6Dined on 2/22/2014Our food was extraordinary. Our server was incredibly professional while being very personable. We had a delightful time and will be going back soon.Special Features:
- Not as good as I hopedDoctorjDined on 2/22/2014We went here with friends from out of town. I ordered the seafood ravioli which was a utter disappointment. The shrimp tasted like it was out of a can. The noodles were lasagna noodles without any stuffing in a seafood broth. There were four mussels and overcooked mahi. The only good part was the broth. My friend ordered the sirloin which was prepared nicely, but the meat was not tender or tenderized and resulted in a lot of chewing. The pear and gorgonzola appetizer was amazing and well executed. The vegetarian entree was disappointing. Desert was good, but not great. I went here expecting something new, different and delicious. I paid $117 for mediocre food with some high points. Nothing really hit the mark.Special Features:
- Fun but food not fabulousBoulderdinerDined on 2/22/2014Charcuterie plate was great. Soup was good. Entree was not fabulous - steak was tough/chewy. Didn't like it. Dessert was delish!Special Features:
- Boulder Dining - First nightJudeDined on 2/21/2014There was much anticipation for our dinner at Salt on Saturday night - the place had been highly recommended or was known by anyone we mentioned it to. Salt did not disappoint. Service was friendly and polished. Our server suggested items we might not have looked into, like the build-your-own craft cocktail. The starters were wonderfully varied and the cocktails top-notch. The entrees were served in BIG portions, which was surprising. My roasted local vegetables were delicious, and too much for me to finish. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant!! The musclesbarbDined on 2/20/2014Great restaurant!! The muscles were awesome!!! The staff is friendly and attentive!! We will definitely be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No longer my favorite restaurant!DinerDined on 2/19/2014SALT has always been my favorite restaurant for special occasions, but this recent visit was very disappointing. I was entertaining out of town visitors and we were seated in the basement across from a bathroom. Service was inattentive, did not bring requested refills, waited forever for food and then it was lukewarm at best. The menu is not as varied as it used to be. I won't be going back.
- Delicious, SALT!klarinet06Dined on 2/18/2014Made a special trip to Boulder (from Denver) to enjoy SALT's cocktails, wine list, and outstanding food. Had two appetizers, two entrees, and still had room for dessert. Everything was elegantly balanced - not too heavy/not too light, but also not too dense and filling. Even the German chocolate cake was dense but light. Go to SALT. The experience is worth the price. You won't regret it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad experience!Emmy02Dined on 2/16/2014We waited over 20 minutes for our drinks, and the food wasn't very good. It was such a bummer, because I've been eaten at salt before and it was very good. The waiter seemed annoyed that we were there, and if we asked for anything, would slam it down on the table and walk away. I would NOT go to the restaurant. Boulder has too many good restaurants!!
- Delicious but chillypickledgrapeDined on 2/15/2014We had a post-valentine's day date night at Salt and really enjoyed it. All was awesome, except we felt conflicted about the basement seating, which was chilly. It was quieter there than the main floor, but the ambience was a little lacking. But enough about the one off note; on to the good stuff. Our server, Xander, was brilliant. Kind and knowledgeable, accommodating but not intrusive. Well done. The food was also amazing. We had the Mon Sire and the scrapple for a charcuterie starter; both delicious. The pomegranate salad was solid. Entrees were outstanding; gnocchi pillowy with a rich sauce, chicken with some ungodly buttery sweet potato. Extra mushrooms were a win. Dessert of caramel choco tart was amazing. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not happy downstairsMaggieDined on 2/15/2014First, when being seated, we were whisked past several very desirable tables in the main restaurant and lead downstairs where I had not been before. The room had no windows, there was exposed infrastructure and bright lights, and a speaker was located directly above my left ear - I did not like the atmosphere at all. By then, the only table available upstairs was by the front door. Then when perusing the menus, I learned that the prix fixe menu I had signed up for, was not being offered.. I was doubly disappointed. Fortunately, the food was exquisite and the service was very good. I will be back, but will not eat downstairs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.