SALT - Boulder
1047 Pearl Street
Boulder, CO 80302Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
SALT - Boulder
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.saltthebistro.com/
- Phone: 303-444-7258
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Happy Hour: 3:00pm - 5:00pm
Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - Close
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Farm to Table
A word from SALT - Boulder
The philosophy at SALT is simple; a belief that the best food travels the shortest distance from farm to table, that menus should change with the seasons and that the locally sourced ingredients, combined with European technique and innovative thinking make for a truly remarkable experience. Chef Bradford Heap and his staff have made a commitment to source local, organic and fresh ingredients whenever possible. The menu reflects this mind-set, simple, yet elegant and delicious. The wines, while sourced all over the world offer our guests some classic profiles, while introducing them to some new and exciting choices as well as a pre-prohibition cocktails with a twist. Approachable, but sophisticated. Enjoy!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
SALT - Boulder - Best Restaurants in Boulder ›
SALT - Boulder reviews from OpenTable diners
169 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (106)neighborhood gem (61)great for outdoor dining (51)hot spot (51)special occasion (38)romantic (30)great for lunch (25)notable wine list (25)vibrant bar scene (25)good for groups (21)great for brunch (17)scenic view (7)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (3)Show More
- freshfoodloverDined on 8/15/2014My husband and I went to celebrate our 24th wedding anniversary. We had a great table and a wonderful waiter. The food he recommended was amazing and his summer drink-Prosseco with lemon and the house made strawberry/basil syrup and a shot of vodka was amazingly refreshing. I love that the restaurant is a farm to table and GMO free. I made an on-line reservation and told them it was our anniversary. They were kind enough to give us a great table and a lovely complimentary dessert. Salt is right on Pearl Street so the people watching is great. The outside of the restaurant says Tom's Tavern so that was our only catch, but right above the entrance it says SALT. It was a perfect date for a great celebration.Special Features:
- Service great, food okBoCoDinerDined on 8/14/2014The two people who served us were excellent, attending to our needs and wants in a friendly, prompt manner. The food was in some cases, ironically, too salty, and the visual presentation of the tuna was somewhat crude, cut into 4 chunks; in another restaurant with a similar entree, it was sliced thinly and served in a fan. For a dining experience at a restaurant like Salt, I expect the food, as well as the service, to be impeccable.Special Features:
- Not quite up to last visitTEDDERDined on 8/13/2014The weakest part of our meals were the entrees. My chicken was overcooked enough to taste dry. My wife's fish was unremarkable. The sides and deserts were terrific as we have come to expect at SALT.Special Features:
- Salt gets betterFoodieDined on 8/12/2014I've always like this restaurant, and I think it trends toward getting better over time. On this occasion, I chose seared albacore tuna, not an easy fish to cook properly as it is very delicate. The preparation was perfect with delicious and interesting sides.Special Features:
- Average at bestKatieVIPDined on 8/12/2014Food was fine- nothing creative or different. Service was terrible- server forgot about us several times- even admitted it to us! The glass of wine I ordered was $10/glass ($40/bottle). She brought out a different wine that she said was similar because they were out of the one I ordered. We then ordered a bottle of the same for dinner and when we got the check the bottle was $120! That wasn't cool. We were never given bread or told about the specials like the other diners were with a different server. All in all, wasn't impressed.Special Features:
- Great spot for lunchBoulderFoodieVIPDined on 8/12/2014Speedy service, delicious food, and a beautiful day to be outside. Make sure to get a table with an umbrella, otherwise it's a bit hot.Special Features:
- It was ok.KMacDined on 8/11/2014We went for a birthday dinner. Ambiance was ok. We didnt feel special - just run through the system. Food was good, but portions smallish. We will add it to the rotation, but it won't be a 'go to' place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Salt!kpapaVIPDined on 8/8/2014We just love this place---everything on the menu is local and organic and the drink menu is great to try all the different combinations. Great service and a great meal...Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SO DISAPPOINTING!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/4/2014I went here for my birthday. Have loved this place in the past, but my birthday dinner was AWFUL. My husband and I both ordered the salmon. It smelled fishy as soon as the plates were set down, and tasted even worse. Slimy, fishy, disgusting. We should have sent both dinners back and ordered something fresh, but were too mortified. The waitress was lovely so 5 stars for the wait staff. It's not their fault the food was inedible. I'm afraid this restaurant has lost our business.
- Great food, ify serviceExecutor1977Dined on 8/4/2014The food was fantastic! Everything was served to perfection. However after being seated my date and I had to wait around 8 minutes to even get water. And another 5 before our drink orders were taken. Once our drinks were finaly brought, the service was fine and the staff was extremely jovial and helpful. I would still recomend Salt to a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good brunch findhighplainesgastronomeDined on 8/3/2014Our friend had recommended Salt as a great place for brunch in Boulder. We were not disappointed. The highlight for me was the fantastic scone. It was light a fluffy not hard and dense like scones often are. We enjoyed an outside table with a great view of the flat irons. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingTomx1VIPDined on 8/1/2014Unaccommodating, small portions, low value for the money, overpriced drinks with short pours, slow service. Only positive was the wait staff was friendly.
- Impress your hipster dateTrendinerDined on 7/27/2014The atmosphere at SALT is fun, it is complimentary to the food. Though it won't take your breath away, it definitely has a very meta vibe to it. The bathrooms were clean and, aesthetically, the best part of the design. The service was fantastic, the wait staff was very personable and friendly. In regards to the food, it is a little pricey for what it is; however it is to be expected from a trendy farm to table restraunt. The menu had some very intentional and well thought out options. It might be pragmatic to mention or note options like gluten or dairy-free in some dishes. I was impressed by the wine list and delighted by the local beer sections. Overall a highly delightful experience and a great place to take a date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A+ except smoked salmon benedictBoulderDinerDined on 7/27/2014All in all Salt provided a great brunch for our group of three. One ordered gluten pancakes with peaches and another had the huevos rancheros and both were divine. My smoked salmon Benedict was okay. The salmon was incredibly salty--exponentially more than any other smoked salmon I have ever had. Other than that minor blip on what is usually fantastic fare, the service was impeccable and the menu offered many wonderful choices. Thanks to Salt for a wonderful patio dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT food!Married2NalienDined on 7/26/2014We were there for a late Saturday night dinner and even though I did not get my first choice for dinner (they ran out - not an unexpected occurrence in a restaurant that sources fresh and local) the food was amazing! Very clean and fresh. And they are VERY gluten free aware and even have their own AMAZING homemade GF bread. Someone in the kitchen absolutely knows what they are doing! Waitstaff was attentive without being obtrusive and knowledgeable about menu and wine. We were 2+ hours eating dinner and there were several other tables that were there as long or longer than us so they don't make anyone feel pressure to turn the tables over. Overall, a wonderful experience and we can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful goodapplemc55VIPDined on 7/26/2014Very fresh and local food served up with style and imagination. Only reDon service rated a 3 was because it was slow. I would definately go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingSamBolderDined on 7/26/2014We sat outside, which is always nice and the service was good. We had the shrimp appetizer special which was overpriced ($13.00) and consisted of 5 grilled shrimp with a small side of greens - which had a horrible bitter taste. We had the Tuna which was $23.00 and absolutely nothing special. I ordered a lemon drop martini, which was overly sweet and poorly constructed. I had eaten at Salt about seven weeks ago and at that time enjoyed the meal, as well as the lemon drop martini. This past weekend the food and drinks were significantly different, and with all the great choices in restaurants in Boulder, it will be a long time before I return to Salt.
- DisappointingDocMVIPDined on 7/26/2014Pedestrian food at best. Service was sloppy. I was very disappointed in this establishment. They are at the bottom in a list of Boulder restaurants.
- The Best and WorstsweetsoulsisterDined on 7/25/2014Went for a friends birthday dinner. I really enjoyed the grilled octopus small plate, but my salmon entrée was inedible. I couldn't even cut it with a fork. Our waiter never checked on us, and when the bus boy came to clear the plates, I asked him to send over our waiter. Instead a woman came over and I told her the issue with the fish. She apologized and took it off the bill but by this time, my companions were done eating so there was not time to get another item. I left hungry with a $70 bill. Thanks for the free dessert though. This was my first visit and most likely my last.Special Features:
- Mostly goodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/25/2014We dine frequently at Salt. There were difficulties with the hostess and service this time, which I included in a personal note to the restaurant. The food is consistently good, which in my mind made up for the host and serving issues. Will continue to enjoy dining there. Giving it still a 4 star rating.
- Good Food and CocktailsPinkbirdVIPDined on 7/25/2014We've been coming here annually for a few years. Food is consistently good but less creative than past years. Craft cocktails are excellent and main focus of the wait staff in terms of recommendations and knowledge. Three dining areas: outside which is basically next to the street, main dining room which is charming but conversation is impossible, or lower level which is quiet but no view and slow service. Our waiter didn't write down our order 3 diners) and forgot a side dish and request for dressing on the side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EclecticLeeMDined on 7/23/2014If you like an eclectic dining experience, this restaurant is for you. The menu included items that are not readily available on a typical menu. The House Chicken Liver Mousse appetizer was amazing, as good or better than any New York restaurant. The entrees were done to perfection and the desserts - unique and delicious. Give it a try.Special Features:
- Not up to parvinbinsVIPDined on 7/19/2014I have eaten at SALT several times over the years and it has always been a place where you know that whatever you order, it is going to be good. The flatbread appetizer was so so and the salmon I ordered was cold and undercooked. Should have sent it back but didn't, which was my own fault. The side that came with it was also undercooked (I think it was lentils) - had to take several pieces of hard material out of my mouth. Just wasn't up to par and was blah.
- Exceptional serviceMrsPuckettDined on 7/19/2014We were running late for our reservation because trying to find parking took longer than expected. I called the restaurant to let them know we were going to be a few minutes late, and the hostess thanked me profusely for calling and assured me they would hold our table. When we finally arrived we were promptly seated, and our waiter came over quickly to take our drink order and tell us about the day's specials. We both started with house salads that I thought had too much dressing and not enough veggie variety. I had salmon and my mom had chicken - both entrees were delicious. We then shared the dark chocolate caramel tart for dessert - it was phenomenal. Our waiter was attentive and thorough, but not annoying. Lovely evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/17/2014I expected more from this restaurant because it came very highly recommended by a friend with great taste. I ordered the steak salad, but the steak was so tough that it was inedible. The server took it back and offered to replace it with another protein. I chose the tuna, and it was okay. My sister had the BBQ sandwich, but the chicken was full of gristle and fatty bits. There were no adjustment was made to the bill, which I really didn't expect. An offer of a small dessert or a drink goes a looooooong way to make things better.
- Great healthy food with flavorbunnyrissVIPDined on 7/12/2014We really enjoyed our first experience at Salt. Food wasn't too heavy, but definitely left us feeling satisfied. Friendly staff and interesting drink menu.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/11/2014The timing of our food was really off. 2 entrees arrived, then the third, then the fourth. The servers didn't acknowledge the awkwardness of it all. Otherwise, no complaints. Everything tasted great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salt did it again!raftingandravenousDined on 7/8/2014I'm biased, I really like this place. We had a delicious spread of shared plates to start - chicken liver mousse, pork scrapple and a cheese, followed by the most tender grilled octopus, a veggie tasting, and our own entrees. The meats were seasoned beautifully, and the accompanying sides in proportion both size and flavor-wise to the main proteins. The panna cotta was heavenly, with crumbles and granita on top to play on the palate after a most satisfying dinner. We will, of course, be coming back.Special Features:
- Nice and slowBaroloprimo1Dined on 7/5/2014Good, upscale food in a relaxed and funky atmosphere. Service was steady but inattentive. Food was a bit long in coming but once served was very good. Noisy for the early hour of our dinnerSpecial Features:
- Great dining experienceNiwotDined on 7/1/2014Salt was new to us although we've heard good things about it. We were not disappointed. Wonderful menu with some very original items. We had the prosciutto wrapped cod. Spectacular. Chicken liver pate was a great starter. Sever gave us constant attention. Great time.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/29/2014Our small plates - cheese and parma were ok. We had the beets and the walleye - both were not spectacular. The walleye had a very spicy sauce underneath all of the balluga lentils. The spices were too much and took away from the sauce on the Walleye.Special Features:
- A Pearl of Salt on PearlSerendipitistVIPDined on 6/27/2014Although often too noisy to hear your eating companion, the cacophony is a good vibe. You won't find better food in this foodie block of restaurants in Boulder's West End. We had the grass fed tenderloin and the ribeye, both delicious enough to make our eyes roll back with the first bite. Attentive but not very smiley wait person was thorough. Put Salt on your bucket list when you visit this Historic West End.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unfortunate IncidentFoodie79Dined on 6/27/2014Upon visiting Boulder, several friends recommended we try Salt. Unfortunately one of the vegetarian dishes we ordered had an unidentified object inside the gnocchi. My fiancé didn't want to complain but then proceeded to find a piece of plastic in the same dish!!! It was awful, the manager came over and took it off our bill and offered us complimentary dessert but we had lost our appetite. I understand that things happen but this was over the top for such a nice restaurant.Special Features:
- Truly fantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/27/2014A wonderful menu full of fresh local foods. We'll be back again.Special Features:
- The following 641 reviews are from the SALT - Boulder reviews archive.
- Hit or missOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/25/2014Some dishes were great and spot on (chicken liver mousse) others were strange combination. For example, the octopus with kimchi and bean purée just missed it. Great ideas, maybe just need a little more finesse.
- If you want to eat in a dark cellarcmolVIPDined on 6/21/2014.... with an Opentable reservation and without prior advice
- SALT is good, especially cocktailsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/20/2014We just love the design your own cocktails. The menu cocktails are also very good. The food was good, but not my favorite restaurant. Usually the restaurant is much noisier on a Friday night, but this night it was pleasantly less noisy.Special Features:
- Salt DeliversSamBolderDined on 6/20/2014Sat outside on Friday night and enjoyed the food and the view! The flatbread was great - as was the Copper River Salmon. Really liked the fresh tasting lemon drop martini and look forward to trying the interesting 'make your own cocktail' which was presented on its own menu showing various combinations of unique ingredients. Returning is just a matter of when...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent neighborhood restaurantYumyumDined on 6/18/2014Our service was excellent, the food was very good with creative chef touches. Fish of fish and chips had a very light and tasty batter. The veggie plate was excellent, beautifully laid out and plentiful. The artichoke was a little tough. It is a smallish restaurant and one could feel a little cramped but the noise level was not too bad. I would definitely go back, maybe at a more off hour. The food and service were well worth it.Special Features:
- Salt was good but had a few missesMikeDined on 6/14/2014The food was very good. The mixed drinks missed the mark with the bartender focusing more on show than flavor. Atmosphere is busy and bustling and seating is possible but not really comfortable since tables are Close to each other. All in all, a place worth visitingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.