Manhattan of La Jolla
7766 Fay Ave
La Jolla, CA 92037Neighborhood:
La Jolla / Golden Triangle
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Manhattan of La Jolla
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://manhattanoflajolla.com/
- Phone: 8584590700
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Happy Hour: Sunday - Friday: 4:30pm - 6:30pm Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: P.J. Macaluso
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for details. You can book the whole restaurant or one side.
- Private Party Contact: Bill Wolf or Nancy O'Donnell 8584590700
- Entertainment: We offer live music Wednesdays from 7 pm to 10 pm
Thursdays from 7 pm to 10 pm, Fridays and Saturdays from 8 pm to 11 pm.
Wednesday nights its 'OPERA MEETS SINATRA' with Roman Palacios and featuring Tommy Gannon on piano. A must see!
Thursday thru Saturday nights its Tad Sisler, a world-class entertainer with outstanding vocals plus excellent musicianship on piano and keyboards. He offers outstanding vocals plus excellent musicianship on piano and keyboards with an authentic sound.
A word from Manhattan of La Jolla
Manhattan of La Jolla transports you to the best of New York via the cozy, upscale village of La Jolla. Located in the Empress Hotel on Fay Avenue, it is an elegant, casual and classy place where you would expect to see Old Blue Eyes or Danny Ocean romancing a beautiful woman while she sips her Cosmo over dinner. With quality Italian charm, Manhattan offers classic cocktails that get you into that New York swing--and the entrees are as good as it gets. Liberal olive oil, garlic, lemon and pepper complement the Zagat Award winning veal chop, steaks and seafood. Signature scampi, classic cannelloni, pasta al dente, and other succulent dishes, plus professional service and decor make this a terrific spot for a romantic dinner or mixing business and pleasure. Manhattan in La Jolla gets you the best of both worlds. Manhattan is an award winning La Jolla favorite, celebrating its 25th year.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Manhattan of La Jolla reviews from OpenTable diners
58 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (40)romantic (33)neighborhood gem (26)vibrant bar scene (16)fit for foodies (14)good for groups (14)notable wine list (14)late-night find (7)hot spot (6)great for lunch (5)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Food was delicious. UnfortunatelyOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/10/2013Food was delicious. Unfortunately our experience was diminished by some of the other patrons who were VERY LOU.Special Features:
- Great entertainmentMaryannDined on 8/9/2013Besides my date the entertainment was wonderful. Although, it was somewhat loud in the restaurant, it gave a true New Yorker feel and the food was phenomenal. I had the pollo piccata and my date had the filet mignon and it was superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Dining ExperiencePleasedDined on 8/9/2013Our visit to Manhattan of la Jolla was a wonderful dining experience for us and for our friends-- as usual. Outstanding food and service. The best restaurant in La Jolla.Special Features:
- A Great ExperiencessunnyDined on 8/7/2013We both had Italian dinners and were thoroughly pleased and loved the sauces on the dinners. The service was excellent, the wine was great and loved the quiet and the atmosphere of this restaurant. It was the first time for both of us and hopefully will be able to visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/30/2013We love the restaurant,we try to dine there everytime we come to San Diego,the best lobster raviolis ever!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- La Jolla's BestPleasedDined on 7/19/2013Outstanding food and service. The owners and staff give real meaning to the word "service." This restaurant has many regular customers. This is our favorite restaurant in La Jolla and has been for the last 24 years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Time for a new restaurantOurstarDined on 7/2/2013Time for a new restaurant and a new chef. Tired menu, staff and food was not good. Would not go back.
- great food and great service!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/27/2013great food and great service!!! lobster rav. was good as well as their bone in ribeye! love the live music!!!Special Features:
- Outstanding for 25 YearsPleasedDined on 6/21/2013My wife and I had our first meal at the Manhattan when we arrived in SD 25 years ago and we have been coming back ever since. Two days ago, we celebrated our 44th Wedding Anniversary there. The food is outstanding and the staff, service and ambiance are always personal, elegant, and gracious-- everyone makes you feel welcome and special. I recommend the Manhattan without reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful service, excellent foodStampwifeDined on 6/1/2013My husband and I had a lovely dinner at Manhattan. We had not been there for years and were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food. The restaurant was busy but we were well attended. Portions are adequate but not huge. Many Italian restaurants overcook pasta (che peccata!) but everything here was especially well prepared. There was a piano player - good but overall a little loud. We'll go back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not attentive server....BTK71Dined on 5/25/2013Our first reaction to the ambience was great. Perfect setting! However, after waiting over 5 minutes for anyone to greet us at our table, we were quite concerned. When our waiter finally arrived, he bluntly said "what do you want to drink?". Hmm. Not even close to friendly or professional. This continued until we ordered higher priced menu items. I must admit, the food is wonderful. We started with a hot bacon and spinach salad prepared tableside. "You're making me work here", our waiter said as he made it. "Then find a new profession" I thought! Our steak was wonderful,dessert and cognac were good, but still lacking in service. We even tipped over 30% and didn't get a simple "thanks come again". Not coming back. Stick with The Godfather!Special Features:
- Complete classy restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/24/2013Manhattan's is very classy, old school, With impeccable serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic evening - AGAIN.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/23/2013Fantastic evening - AGAIN. Thank you Nancy, Ara, Manny & the whole crew. Our guests were delighted too.Special Features:
- DisappointingGiaRayDined on 5/18/2013My husband and I were staying at The Empress Hotel and thought we'd eat at Manhattan since it was in our hotel and the reviews seemed good. First of all, the restaurant was very noisy. Once the piano bar opened, it got noisier (not very romantic!) The Caprese Salad was bleh, the shrimp scampi was good and my cappuccino was good as well. Now here's what I was disappointed in. The restaurant new my husband and I were celebrating our anniversary, however, they didn't offer us a glass of champagne or a dessert. I've been to chain restaurants that will at least offer you a piece of cake for a special occasion. Not impressed with the customer service.Special Features:
- Great Italian Food inside a hotelnewport5VIPDined on 5/18/2013Manhattan of La Jolla is a very good restaurant. I had the eggplant rollitini and it was just wonderful. We also had their house specialty which is the veal chop and it was great. The service was impeccable. I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- They keep the dining roomOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/11/2013They keep the dining room way too dark for me. The food was excellent and the service was great but it doesn't need to be quite so dark.I would recommend this to a friend.
- TimelessOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/6/2013The Manhattan restaurant at the Empress offers the best in service, food and ambience. The restaurant is a timeless classic that measures up as one of the best anywhere. Their house specialty cannelloni surpasses any description that can be imagined and their table side Caesar salad is iconic. Their waiters make you feel like your part of the family. If you're looking for classic homemade Italian fare with a friendly, service-oriented staff, this place can't be beat. It is a place frozen in time that won't disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dependably outstanding foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/4/2013Dependably outstanding food and service. The owners are always there and it shows.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favorite restaurantsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/3/2013One of my favorite restaurants in La Jolla. The food is always amazingly delicious.Special Features:
- Really good location, fishchristoVIPDined on 5/2/2013Really good location, fish was awesome. Good service, good quality of food. Recommended.Special Features:
- Lovely 'old-fashioned' hotelSnowbirdVIPDined on 4/19/2013Lovely 'old-fashioned' hotel restaurant with all the ambience that that entails. The food has gotten very good once again and we enjoy going there.Special Features:
- Perfection!Bellagirl105Dined on 4/13/2013This restaurant was one of the best I have ever been worldwide. Carpaccio was outstanding and the sea bass was so fresh and cooked to perfection! Next time I am in San Diego, I know where my reservations will be!Special Features:
- While our maitre d was exceptionallOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/11/2013While our maitre d was exceptionally hospitable, when he found out my husband's steak was over cooked, he did not offer to have another one sent out to him. I also did not mention the fact that my shrimp was over cooked as well. It was our 5th anniversary so we were very disappointed in our food. The piano bar is very cool, however, having people sit at the piano really ruins it for the other patrons who would like to be able to visually see the pianist and interact with him. It is also very difficult to carry on a conversation with the noise level. Great venue but you are over seating for the square footage you have available in the bar area. Thanks!
- Such a great representationOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/6/2013Such a great representation of the diversity within La Jolla. I can't wait till my coworkers are back in town to take them for dinner.Special Features:
- Had the best experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/5/2013Had the best experience! The Owners and Staff made us feel special and made sure we were well taken care of. Food, wine, service, and lounge talent was superb!Special Features:
- We've been many times overOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/30/2013We've been many times over several years, and consider it one of the best restaurants in San Diego. They don't advertise (they don't have to!), and it is always filled on the weekends when we're there.Special Features:
- We had such a great time withdjscinemaVIPDined on 3/22/2013We had such a great time with Fantastic food! We would definitely go there again! Everything was perfect.Special Features:
- Always good food, polite andOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/15/2013Always good food, polite and attentive waitstaff-the place is run by grownups!Special Features:
- Love this place! FavoriteNinaJohnVIPDined on 3/9/2013Love this place! Favorite Italian restaurant in La Jolla.Special Features:
- A Must!YummyDined on 3/2/2013What a great surprise! We found it through Yelp and it looked like a fun, interesting place with great food. The food and wine was amazing! We will visit this gem every time we visit La Jolla.Special Features:
- For a very long time, oneOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/2/2013For a very long time, one of the best restaurants in San Diego. Outstanding "New York style" Italian steak house, with emphasis on beef, veal and pasta. Great service and marvelous, consistently first rate food.Special Features:
- Oustanding food and outstanding,PleasedDined on 3/1/2013Oustanding food and outstanding, professional service, as fine as we have ever experienced. Have been coming to the Manhattan since 1989. You always feel welcome.Special Features:
- Good menu offering a largeOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 2/26/2013Good menu offering a large variety of dishes. I stick to a simple fish and salad meal while my husband is a meat and potatoes man. We are always very pleased with our choices.Special Features:
- Manhattan needs to improveOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 2/22/2013Food was very good. Avoid Friday nights - too loud, music bumped up making it hard to talk at table. Waiter was not attentive at all. He pushed the Caesar salad at the table then had the bus boy make it. Very disappointing. Saw him later with the bill. The decor is first rate. I think when they get busy, service goes out the window. When we told the waiter we didn't want coffee and desert, he practically slapped the bill on the table and left. What in the world is that all about? We probably won't go back. The bill for 4 was $325 with a basic Malbec wine and no desert or coffee.
- We had not been to ManhattanStephVIPDined on 2/21/2013We had not been to Manhattan Restaurant in 20 years or more. We celebrated a special occasion last week and it was as wonderful as 20 years ago. We were in the main restaurant but the bar looked like a great,place to sit back, have drinks and enjoy the music.The food was out of this world!We love the old charm feel of the restaurant and will definitely be back!A restaurant not to miss!Special Features:
- Excellent food, service, ambience.SoCalFoodLoverVIPDined on 2/16/2013Excellent food, service, ambience. Anxious to return.Special Features:
- Great classic high end restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/15/2013Great classic high end restaurant type atmosphere but food was just OK insofar as classic Italian taste. Marinara was not as robust as other Italian restaurants (and like that in Italy) and prices are reminiscent of a much higher quality.Special Features:
- Waiters all were depressed,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/15/2013Waiters all were depressed, they all seemed like they were prisoners. The food was terrible, it all tasted like frozen food and microwaved. The waiter never came back to check on us. We will never go back again.
- A La Jolla GemPleasedDined on 2/15/2013Superb food and outstanding, professional service. You are always made to feel welcome and special. One of the few places left on this planet where your Caesar salad is made from scratch at your table. My wife and I had our first meal at the Manhattan in 1989-- and have been customers ever since.Special Features:
- Food was excellent. FoundOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/14/2013Food was excellent. Found the place to be a little dark, but overall the decor fit the atmosphere.Special Features: