Manhattan of La Jolla
7766 Fay Ave
La Jolla, CA 92037Neighborhood:
La Jolla / Golden Triangle
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Manhattan of La Jolla
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://manhattanoflajolla.com/
- Phone: 8584590700
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Happy Hour: Sunday - Friday: 4:30pm - 6:30pm Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: P.J. Macaluso
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for details. You can book the whole restaurant or one side.
- Private Party Contact: Bill Wolf or Nancy O'Donnell 8584590700
- Entertainment: We offer live music Wednesdays from 7 pm to 10 pm
Thursdays from 7 pm to 10 pm, Fridays and Saturdays from 8 pm to 11 pm.
Wednesday nights its 'OPERA MEETS SINATRA' with Roman Palacios and featuring Tommy Gannon on piano. A must see!
Thursday thru Saturday nights its Tad Sisler, a world-class entertainer with outstanding vocals plus excellent musicianship on piano and keyboards. He offers outstanding vocals plus excellent musicianship on piano and keyboards with an authentic sound.
A word from Manhattan of La Jolla
Manhattan of La Jolla transports you to the best of New York via the cozy, upscale village of La Jolla. Located in the Empress Hotel on Fay Avenue, it is an elegant, casual and classy place where you would expect to see Old Blue Eyes or Danny Ocean romancing a beautiful woman while she sips her Cosmo over dinner. With quality Italian charm, Manhattan offers classic cocktails that get you into that New York swing--and the entrees are as good as it gets. Liberal olive oil, garlic, lemon and pepper complement the Zagat Award winning veal chop, steaks and seafood. Signature scampi, classic cannelloni, pasta al dente, and other succulent dishes, plus professional service and decor make this a terrific spot for a romantic dinner or mixing business and pleasure. Manhattan in La Jolla gets you the best of both worlds. Manhattan is an award winning La Jolla favorite, celebrating its 25th year.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Manhattan of La Jolla reviews from OpenTable diners
57 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (39)romantic (32)neighborhood gem (25)vibrant bar scene (16)fit for foodies (14)good for groups (14)notable wine list (14)late-night find (7)hot spot (6)great for lunch (5)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Overall the food ,the ambiance,alphaDined on 3/29/2014Overall the food ,the ambiance, the service were excellent. They provide customer delight. It was our anniversary and celebrating advanced birthday celeb also. We were all surprised by the food attendant bringing a very unforgettable delicious rasberry flavored cake with a cute candle while he was singing happy birthday. An excellent customer's delight service. No one told the food attendant (a fine gentleman) we are celebrating an occasion. He said he just saw us giving gifts and thought it's a birthday celeb. Hecame out with a lit candle cake while singing happy. Manhattan of la jolla deserves high commendation :)Special Features:
- ReviewPaulaDined on 3/23/2014The fish in the fish tank were very impressive and added a natural charm to the place. The seating was very comfortable. The staff was attentive and food quite good. The quiet acoustics enabled us to converse easily. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing placearturoVIPDined on 3/22/2014This place is really amazing, food, music, service is outstanding, lots of glamour and nice people.Special Features:
- Best romantic steak houseTimboDined on 3/7/2014Table side Ceasar salad ,awesome steaks, good drinks, fun live piano bar!Special Features:
- Superb Dinning Experience.fitnessdesiresDined on 3/7/2014I was hosting my business coach, from out of town and I knew Manhattan would be the BEST choice for the dinning experience. The service was perfect, the food was amazing and the entire environment was everything I expected it to be and more. Thank you again. We will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodBookrobinDined on 2/20/2014Since the mid-80's, the. Manhattan has served New York style Italian. The restaurant was updated In the last couple of years, but retains all that brought the locals as repeats. Cesar salad table-side and cannelloni among other excellent choices. Our group always has a great time. Love the fish tank, too! Thanks Bill, Nancy, and Ara.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic old school diningTrumpetTom2Dined on 2/16/2014Great food in a very classic, nostalgic restaurant. Almost expected Sinatra and the "Pack" to come in and head for the bar. Reminiscent of the 40's and 50's. Wonderful chicken and shrimp dishes. Live entertainment during the week. Located in a small boutique hotel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great As UsualPleasedDined on 2/11/2014Celebrated my wife's birthday at our favorite restaurant in La Jolla, The Manhattan. The food, service, and ambiance were outstanding-- and they have been that way during the 25 years that we have been coming here. The Manhattan is a special place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had not been here in yearsOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/1/2014Had not been here in years but now will certainly come here moulre often. Excellent unobtrusive service,good cocktails, great veal both chops and Marsala. Old east coast ambience in the dining room with dark wood etc. bar on Aaturday had music and dancingand was crowded with folks having a good time. Noisy in the bar area but quiet enough to talk in the dining room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, slow serviceMarleneVIPDined on 2/1/2014We go to Manhattan often, though usually not onSaturday night. The place was packed and, even though the service was gracious aand with our favorite waiter Dirk, it took a long time to get our entrees. The food was tops, and Dirk recommended a different veal dish that was terrific, based on our usual favorites.Special Features:
- Wonderful eveningRussandJennDined on 1/30/2014Manhattan knows how to make you feel welcome. The service is up to the same level as the food, which is great. This is the type of place that after 3 hours you wonder where the time went. The service is great, but they don't hound you nor hover at your table. The piano bar on weekends is wonderful, great music and atmosphere. I will certainly go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful but loudGglariDined on 1/18/2014The veal chop is as good as advertised, but it was hard to have a conversation when large group at table behind us was so loud. We've been part of a large group before, so didn't complain. Try the cannelloni, too; great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ValueLaJollaBobDined on 1/11/2014The Lobster Ravioli was delicious. For two people, a glass of wine, salad, entrée and dessert was just $106. Very comfortable booths and relaxing ambience. Romantic spot. You will need a reservation for Saturday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I I like the live music !!!VickeleVIPDined on 1/9/2014I I like the live music !!! , location , service !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- serviceGraceDined on 1/6/2014Service at this restaurant has been consistently poor...however I keep going back for the food despite the service. Once seated no menus were given to our party. We waited about 30 minutes before someone came to take our drink orders...we had attempted to get someone to get our server so that we could get our drinks. Finally we get our drinks and then still no menus...my friend finally went to get menus from the hostess desk for the whole table. Waiting for our food order to be taken was another long wait as well....I contemplated calling the restaurant with my cell phone to put in our orders. The funny thing is that the restaurant was dead...at best there were 4 tables in the entire restaurant so I know they weren't busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time there - great experiencepatrickcroVIPDined on 1/3/2014We had no idea what to expect other than the good reviews on OpenTable. But we had great food, great services, and great wine. We highly recommend.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a great time BUTJuliemcDined on 1/3/2014Food is great but we are unsure if we would rush back because of the upselling and getting overcharged on desserts...Special Features:
- Great find!JTaylorVIPDined on 12/28/2013We were vacationing in La Jolla for the 1st time and found Manhattan's on Open Table...this could be best restaurant we have found on Open Table without someone recommending it to us first. The entire staff was A+++ the entire evening and the food was as good as any place we've eaten this year! We just wish we had found this place earlier during our vacation so that we could haven eaten there again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were joined by our invitedBtagDined on 12/23/2013We were joined by our invited guests. Everyone loved their meal. Two of us had the Filet Florentine, one the clam sauce and one eggplant and two enjoyed the Caesar salad. The clam sauce person said they wished they had ordered seconds it was so goood!!! We also shared deserts - cheesecake for one choice & the lava cake ala mode for the second. Delicious choices. We occupied the booth for well over two hours as we had not seen our guests in years and never did we feel rushed to leave. Bill and our waiter were outstanding.Special Features:
- Pre-dinner drinks at the cozy9896VIPDined on 12/21/2013Pre-dinner drinks at the cozy bar area were great! Bartender well versed on traditional mixology. Dinner consisted on filet for my wife and bone-in veal chop for myself. Both cooked to proper temperature, but served with a residual gas flavor. Perhaps poorly maintained grill / flame? I have no knowledge of the proper working characteristics of restaurant equipment, but I do know the lingering taste of gas ruined our Manhattan of La Jolla dining experience.
- Great service from Mike atOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/18/2013Great service from Mike at the bar, food was tasty, Roman and Tommie made for great ambience and evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingarturoVIPDined on 12/7/2013The best music and best food, i had a wonderful time last saturday, the new york black pepper flambe steak is incredible!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classy Dining Great AmbiencepurpleroseDined on 12/6/2013This is truly a hidden gem. The food was fantastic and the ambience was elegant yet cozy. After dinner enjoyed great entertainment in the piano bar with live music across several genres, from Sinatra to the Black Eyed Peas, with a tribute to some of Motown's greats.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hard to BelievecontextdudeVIPDined on 11/22/2013From New York and Manhattans is not New York Italian. I really don't know what box to put it in. That said, the restaurant delivers on many fronts, old fashion service and hospitality and reliable to very good food. Old folks, young folks -- a bit of everything. And everyone is always in a good mood with a cocktail and/or wine. If you haven't been or haven't been in a while -- you should go. BTW, loose the creepy fish tank:)Special Features:
- ManhattanJboeyDined on 11/16/2013The restraurant was very nice! Parking was very simple. We walked in and were seated immediately. Our server was very attentive. He knew it was a birthday celebration and kept it very simple as we requested. The food was amazing. The filet was cooked perfectly and the chicken Parmesan was incredible. The music was live and there was a big variety played. A very excellent place to have a great dinner and music!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Engagement Dinner was DelightfulcarrieVIPDined on 11/15/2013This is one of our few class act dining establishments where their quality in taste, accommodation, and excellence in all ways shines the brightest!Special Features:
- Piano bar was great funJohnMonikaDined on 11/9/2013My lady friend and I have been to Manhattan multiple times. We usually have dinner close to the piano bar. I had the lobster bisque this last time. I have had lobster bisque at many restaurants. What i like is actual lobster chunks in the bisque. Theres has it, Yum. There was only one waitress in the entire bar area. She was swamped and needed help. It was a busy night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We dined for the first timeNamaste43Dined on 10/19/2013We dined for the first time for our 18th wedding anniversary. The decor definitely needs a major facelift, although we enjoyed the dark romantic feel. The servers looked hmmmm...tired and uninspired??They didn't seem to understand english all that well, and it took us too long to get bread, we had to ask twice. The first loaf was piping hot, but hard as a rock, iike eating big croutons. We asked for another loaf and it was perfect. Once the food began to arrive we were in heaven! The amazing food definitely diminishes the less than stellar service and ambiance, and we would return again and endure the stale decor and service just for the food:) If this place had a facelift and some more inspired servers it would be perfection!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian food, romanticYiorgosDined on 10/13/2013Great Italian food, romantic ambience....you can tell a lot of regulars frequent here. Great wait staff, personable and knowledgeable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- THE old favoritecarrieVIPDined on 10/4/2013...if you can't stand the 'kid scene at the trendy restaurants' go where the grownup's who know go.....Special Features:
- My husband and dined at ManhattenDedevic44Dined on 10/1/2013My husband and dined at Manhatten on a tuesday night at 6 p.m. It was very quiet. We always.dine here when in La Jolla. The food is wonderful. Hot plates. Everything prepared to perfection. Recommend chicked or veal,picatta. Service outstanding. One of the few restauranrs left where you can actually have a conversation without screaming across the table and where tvs ate not blaring. Five stars all around.Special Features:
- Delicious and friendlyMasticationAppreciationDined on 9/26/2013The food was delicious. The service was personal. The ambience was elegant but not stuffy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A taste of the old worldBeachDinersDined on 9/14/2013Manhattan is a cool little place. The service is very good and they genuinely try to give you a good experience. The decor is meticulously planned to give you that Sinatra feel (including the music). The only thing missing is the lounge singer. East coast quality Italian food at a reasonable price for the quality. One of the better Italian restaurants I've been to in San Diego.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful evening. Best in La JollaUncleBuck1947VIPDined on 9/13/2013We were created by Nancy the hostess that understands how to read her clients preferences! Great and very comfortable booth. Jose was our waiter and did a great job with many extra's ...................Wine list very wide selection in all prices........Food was outstanding, even when compared to our NE Italian spots. The feel of the decor was perfect for a NY - BOS seasoned italian restaurant.........Piano bar with nice crowd was a real treat for after dinner drink! When in La Jolla area this is a "must" location for a fine dining evening.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for nice dinnerMollyDined on 9/7/2013Went there with a group for late dinner. Was really great service, food was delish and the music was entertaining :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out dated, but tastyPleasedDined on 9/7/2013When it comes to the cuisine, this restaurant knows how to please. However, the layout, decor, and lighting are stuck in old Chicago gangster film. We thought it would benefit from a modern design upgrade.Special Features:
- Service slow FOOD not enough flavorSandiegoVIPDined on 8/24/2013We had a 5pm reservations. Our friends were seated when we arrived so I didn't want to make a stink but they set us right where you looked directly at the waiter/ kitchen entrance! I kid you not it took about 20 minutes to get a menu. At one point I got up and saw at least 5 waiters on the other side of the place just chatting. We finally told our waiter we had to leave no later than 7:15 for a play. He took our order right away. The food prices are high, not that we minded paying them if the food was above standards. $39 for several of the entrées. I had the lobster/crab dish over pasta which was nice but lacked seasoning and was no more special then if I had gone to an Italian place for $24. Salads just okay, lacked flavor. Won't returnSpecial Features:
- Love this place!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/17/2013This is our second time eating at Manhattan's and it is now one of our San Diego favorites. Food, service and ambiance were all terrific. Salmon was prepared magnificently. Chicken piccata scrumptious!!!!Special Features:
- Very satisfied 1st time customerDeborahSDined on 8/17/2013We had a party of four for 7:30 pm dinner. We were attended to by 2-3 waiters all evening, no detail missed. Fresh buffalo mozzarella bruchetta was fantastic! So was wine list, steaks and authentic Italian dishes. The restaurant was filled to the brim but service was impeccable; and we were never rushed...white linen table clothes, candle light and great food. It could not have been a better experience!Special Features:
- Service was a bit slow, especiallyJaneSDined on 8/14/2013Service was a bit slow, especially in taking our orders, but beyond that everything else was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.