1537 S. 11th St
Philadelphia, PA 19147Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.fondphilly.com/
- Phone: 2155515000x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Friday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Global, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Lee Styer
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, BYO Liquor, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Please call to discuss and schedule.
Sunday and Monday may be available for private events.
- Private Party Contact: Tory K. 2155515000x
- Special Events: Fond offers a private "Chefs Table Room' located in front of the kitchen, This table holds up to 12 people.
- Cross Street: Tasker Street
- Public Transit: 2 blocks east from the Broad Street Line - Tasker/Morris stop. Bus route 23 on 12th st to Tasker St.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: There is usually close metered street parking, as well as a metered lot across the street. We also offer discounted valet parking on Fridays and Saturday nights.
A word from Fond
Fond is a Contemporary American Restaurant, with eclectic flavors & fresh, seasonal ingredients. Run by three friends, guests can expect to feel welcome & relaxed. We now offer a full bar as well as a wine and beer list. We offer BYOB from Tuesday to Thursday, with corkage fee on Friday, Saturday and special holidays. We are located on bustling East Passyunk Avenue in South Philadelphia. Come join Fond for happy hour, every Tuesday thru Friday from 5:30-7:00, BAR ONLY. Fond also has chef's tables that seat 10, that oversee our kitchen where Chef Lee Styer will demonstrate his cooking.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Fond reviews from OpenTable diners
100 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (86)neighborhood gem (66)special occasion (53)romantic (36)great for outdoor dining (16)hot spot (15)notable wine list (15)scenic view (10)good for groups (8)vibrant bar scene (7)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Fond never dissapoints andOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/24/2014Fond never dissapoints and the staff is eager to please its customers.Special Features:
- Just top notch from stem to stern.DellaDined on 1/21/2014Fond is the place to be for lovely coursing, delicious food, and attentive service. It's wonderful to get such an elevated meal in a restaurant that tries their very best to make you feel welcome. (Shamefully) I hadn't been since they moved to the new location, so it was my first time trying the house cocktails. They are unsurprisingly delicious and add another level of awesome to an already fantastic spot. I think my most recent experience marks my tenth time dining there since they opened, and every visit has been great. Get thee to Fond immediately, if not sooner.I would recommend this to a friend.
- So ColdOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/18/2014We went to Fond on a cold winter night in January. Immediately we were suprised at how cold it was in the small restaurant and most of the women guests were wearing their coats. When we were seated, I asked if the heater was broken. The nice server responded that it was just an old building. I understand that there are old buildings in the city, but as a business, I believe Fond should pay the money to add additional insulation to their small restaurant. We were so uncomfortable that it was hard to enjoy the food. Oysters - fresh and fantastic with a great millet Short Rib - melt in your mouth Swordfish - fish cooked well but it was served with a bean ragout that was incredibly salty I recommended visiting in the spring/ fall.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special spot in hot Passyunk SquareJimboDined on 1/17/2014My daughter and I had a great "Father Daughter" dinner here and we were not disappointed. Some nice olive and sourdough breads to start. A small compliment of warm mushroom soup served in a tall shot glass. Very nice. The Foie gras appetizer was flavorful and cooked perfectly. My daughter had a sushi grade tuna appetizer with great flavor. Pork Belly for me, a house speciality, was memorable. My daughters skirt steak was perfectly cooked with brussel sprouts and spatezel. A nice wine list but on this Friday night we did BYOB which kicked in a $10 corkage fee. Which I was fine with. During the week there is no fee. Give it a try and I think you'll be pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingMaureenDined on 1/17/2014The shaved truffle on my duck appetizer is unforgettable . Fond is a must for those who love fantastic food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific food; service okpassthebutterVIPDined on 12/30/2013Wonderful food as always. Service was definitely not what it used to be. Servers were nice but fairly inattentive; had to regularly flag servers down to get water, refills of wine, take orders, etc. House manager was a little haughty, and brought some attitude that put a bit of a damper on things. They were open on a Monday night and charged $10 per bottle corkage fee - normally reserved for weekends - "because it's not Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday, is it?". I suppose it's not. Food made up for it though. Everything was delicious.Special Features:
- Perfect spot!chattyDined on 12/30/2013I took my mom and her friends and they loved it! I was a little worried it might be too romantic or stuffy but, it was perfect. The amuse bouche set the tone & the entrees were wonderful. Very reasonably priced for the quality of the food. The surrounding neighborhood is lovely and we had an nice after dinner stroll.Special Features:
- A must try!LexieVIPDined on 12/27/2013We went to Fond in a group of four last night and had a great experience! We enjoyed a cocktail at the bar before dinner, and then a fabulous meal including oysters and foie apps and scallop and duck entrees. We were also very pleasantly surprised by two amuse bouche during the meal, including a mushroom soup that was divine. The service was excellent, including that Chef came out to greet us after the meal, AND our waiter chased us for a few blocks back to our car to give us back our credit card which we had accidentally left behind. A truly fantastic place, highly recommended!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/21/2013This is our 2nd time, and each time it has been excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinner was excellent. AllYbobVIPDined on 12/12/2013dinner was excellent. All of the dishes were prepared as described and very tastySpecial Features:
- Too cold!MisterMaxVIPDined on 12/12/2013We've decided that we won't go back until the weather is warm. The wind blows under the door when it's closed and it chills the whole restaurant when it's open. There's no vestibule, no quick heating. And it's quite noisy! The food was very good - and the service was super.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fond has devolved since movinglouboutin34VIPDined on 12/11/2013Fond has devolved since moving into a larger space. The same attention to food is not there. The service remains excellent. The noise level has significantly increased. In addition, we were subjected to persistent R&B music with four Xmas songs, including Alvin and the Chipmunks over 1:45 of dining despite mentioning this to the chef and host. Clearly not a varied playlist. For the food, the sweetbreads were light and delicious, but the eggplants were quite sour and were not balanced by the runny yogurt or bitter greens. The beef skirt stake was fine, as was the mahi-mahi. Mushroom risotto was wonderful and enhanced with truffles. Dessert was surprisingly mediocre. The apple tart was luke-warm and the pastry tasted frozen and re-heated.
- OustandingBYOBFanDined on 12/6/2013We visited the restaurant for a birthday celebration. It was superb. Great food and fantastic service. Great view of the Christmas tree in the square. Can't wait to go backSpecial Features:
- Cozy, but not cramped. StaffdinnerdoggDined on 12/5/2013Cozy, but not cramped. Staff seems genuinely happy to make dinner special. A little lagniappe from the chef, (roasted mushroom soup) along with simply fabulous seared mackerel and flank steak worked with some truly inspired veggie productions. Just do it!Special Features:
- New Location-Still Great FoodelfinkDined on 12/4/2013We took friends to the "new" Fond after having taken them to the "old" location awhile ago. The place looks great (love the new bar), the staff is terrific and the food was outstanding! I would have been happy to eat just the appetizers (6 or 7 of them). We shared the risotto and the chicken liver mousse, I had the sweetbreads (still great). Everyone loved the entrees (scallops, skirt steak and salmon) and the apple tart with the ginger ice cream. Going back again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fondly FondOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/3/2013What a treat. Creative and tasty menu and attentive management. What else does a foody want ?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Innovative dishes artfullyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/23/2013Innovative dishes artfully presented in an intimate, romantic setting. Overall, a very good meal and evening. My one concern is that the dining room is small and the waitstaff continually bumped into me or our table as they walked through the dining room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, nice ambience.GrchDined on 11/23/2013Outstanding food, cozy restauarant. Will be back. Although there is a Wine list, it is also BYOB with $10 cork service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for a Special OccasionDEdinerDined on 11/23/2013The food was terrific and the service was efficient, with servers friendly and knowledgeable. We opened the place at 5:00 so the noise level was very low. By the time we left (about 7:00) it was getting noisier. Tables are close to one another. We had a choice of 6 entrees, all of which sounded delicious. We had the duck, salmon, pork belly and scallops. All lived up to the anticipation! I would highly recommend Fond for special occasions for those not expecting standard 'meat loaf and mashed potatoes'!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious mealOliveDined on 11/22/2013Food was delicious. Waiter was very friendly. Seating is a little tight so I would not go with a large group but definitely good for two to four people. Only slight negatives were that we felt a little rushed during the meal and there was a corking fee for BYOB. Would definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I took my Mom here for herMollyDined on 11/22/2013I took my Mom here for her birthday and she loved it! Our family took advantage of the 5 course tasting menu, and it was very tasty and unique.Special Features:
- Fond is a great little spotPoggio9Dined on 11/21/2013Fond is a great little spot on E. Passyunk Avenue in South Philadelphia. Tables are a bit close but people were not screaming at each other so noise level was fine. We enjoyed our food and the waiters were efficient and pleasant without that awful "Hi I'm Kevin and I'll be your waiter tonight" nonsense. The wine list is small but well chosen and we enjoyed the food. I would definitely come back again and would recommend it. It's not a place for large groups which is part of the charm.Special Features:
- The bestFilemanVIPDined on 11/20/20133rd visit and the food could not be better. Love this restaurant !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice pre-game dinnerChappaquiddickDined on 11/20/2013Located in South Philadelphia, Fond is a good spot for a quick neighborhood dinner pre 7pm tip off. Food was very good and ambiance was comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved this restaurantFoodLoverDined on 11/16/2013went with another couple and had a great meal/time--food and service were excellent, sophisticated and interesting (but not over the top) menu, wine was excellent too--not a huge restaurant so probably not ideal for larger groups but very good looking space--what we ordered ranged from sweetbreads to scallops to risotto to pork belly to arctic char to ceviche.....all were great--as was the sorbet for dessert--will definitely return, and the Passyunk Ave are in general was vibrant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great evening in the city!gfl73Dined on 11/16/2013Delicious food in a cozy atmosphere with a vibrant ambience. Service was good but our waiter could have smiled more and been a bit more interested in us. He was in too much of a rush and a bit impatient. However, the servers who brought the food to our table were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/15/2013What a great experience at Fond. It's been awhile since we were there last, and it has only gotten better. I had the escargot and would have licked the plate clean if nobody was watching, followed by the scallops which were delicious. Make sure you leave room for the chocolate/peanut butter dessert. May be in my top 5 desserts ever!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of PhillyJasonDined on 11/14/2013This is my favorite restaurant in Philly. Forget the Four Seasons, forget Le Bec Fin, this food is amazing with an ability to mix flavors in the most delicate ways. The service is perfect, yet personal. My wife and I having been in the NY restaurant business for several years moved here and are happy to say that this is better than Picholine and Stone Hill in NYC. Took my wife there for her birthday among other occasions and each time has been a memorable experience. Go!Special Features:
- Could be among the Top 3 in PhillyNheltzerDined on 11/14/2013One of the top American bistros in my book and I have a big one. Each occasion I come here, have taken 1st timer foodies just to confirm my opinion and they have never failed to confirm. Seafood is always imaginatively prepared and purrfectly cooked but then that's true for every appetizer, entree and dessert. Have always gone on a week night so can't say what the scene is like on the weekend. Tuesday-Wednesday-Thursday, it's BYOB although the full bar and terrific cocktails are available. If you are into sheer gustatory pleasure and superb service without pretentiousness of so many of the gourmet restaurants these days, you'll be fond of Fond.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/9/2013This restaurant came highly recommended. However, we were disappointed. We waited for a 9:15 reservation but were seated until after 9:30. And the menu was limited - lots of pates. The food was adventurous, but not in a really great way. I think it is overrated. South Philly decor as well - not as forward thinking as expected. I think there are better places to try.Special Features:
- Inspired and AdventurousRpjsDined on 11/8/2013Arctic char, frisee, pork belly, escargot and the list goes on. Half our table chose the tasting menu and the otehr half ordered a la carte. Of the 10 distinct dishes sampled, there was not a false note. The complementary mushroom soup was divine and the scallops sublime. Wouldn't hesitate to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food spent with good peopleTastingphillyVIPDined on 11/5/2013That was my first time dining at Fond. The service was great and the food was amazing. I would definitely recommend to my friends for intimate friend group dinners or casual date nights. This place has the potential to be pretentious, but it's absolutely not. Great food that is meant to be spent with great people in a warm dining environment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinner marredphylitVIPDined on 11/1/2013We adore this restaurant and have been going there since before they moved.While this space is larger it is not that much so, but now they have a bar. My gripe i s not the food but a request we had to be seated out of the serving path. We have sat in the line of fire the last three times so I requested that we sit against the walls. That request which could have been granted was ignored and as such we spent a delicious dinner being bashed around by the servers. We were given an appetizer that we did not order, I guess to compensate but that didn't do it for us. We began with an amuse from the kitchen: mushroom soup, then I had shortbreads, and wahoo. Husband had wild boar pate and duck confit. Dessert was a chocolate delight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Moveable Feastwe3dolunchVIPDined on 10/26/2013We had an outstanding meal at Fond....there were 4 of us..every menu item was exceptional. Our waiter was charming and helpful. The $10.00 corkage fee fair and while every item was unique in one way or another; the food was not too esoteric. The duck breast was especially good.Special Features:
- outstandingAllThatSassDined on 10/23/2013We splurged on a 7-course tasting menu with wine pairings for our anniversary. Everything was outstanding! The beet-cured arctic char and later the pork belly with purple sweet potatoes were standouts, but everything else was incredible too, down to the amuse bouche shot glass of scrumptious mushroom soup and ending with the dessert medley -- perfection. A few of the courses seemed on first glance like they might have too many elements on the plate at once ... until we tasted them and were amazed at how well it all worked together. No surprise -- this chef really knows what he's doing. Also superb service: things magically appeared or were whisked away with us barely even noticing. Perfect balance of attentive but unobtrusive.Special Features:
- Excellent First ImpressionDJK1VIPDined on 10/18/2013Our first visit to Fond lived up to high expectations. The mushroom risotto with chopped hazelnuts was partially memorable while the scallops and pork belly main courses were both delicious with their own unique flair. It is clear that good service is important to management as the staff worked seamlessly as a team with an appropriate level of attentiveness. Fond is another strong competitor in an area of the city that many high quality dining options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The name fitsfoodiedudieVIPDined on 10/17/2013My first time at Fond, after wanting to try for eons. So cozy, romantic and friendly. Our server was awesome...knowledgable and accommodating. The menu is small, but diverse but delicious and carefully prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My sister and I tried FondLuv2dineVIPDined on 10/10/2013My sister and I tried Fond for the first time it was outstanding and the service was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A place not to be missedIAMGKWDined on 10/9/2013As an industry professional, I have always found Lee 's style to be sound, very flavorful and just interesting enough to be intriguing but not off-puttingly esoteric. His food speaks of confidence and creativity and is consistant. Lee cooks for the diner and not to impress fellow chefs. In addtion the staff is like no other; they are fun, funny, professional and very detailed. Great drinks, great food, great time. Ask for Stevie Brows!! Dont miss it. You wil be fond of Fond. (yean i know - thats corny)Special Features:
- Fabulous dinnercarltVIPDined on 10/1/2013As always, the food and service were superb! One of my favorite restaurants anywhere in country!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.