1537 S. 11th St
Philadelphia, PA 19147Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.fondphilly.com/
- Phone: 2155515000x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Friday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Global, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Lee Styer
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, BYO Liquor, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Please call to discuss and schedule.
Sunday and Monday may be available for private events.
- Private Party Contact: Tory K. 2155515000x
- Special Events: Fond offers a private "Chefs Table Room' located in front of the kitchen, This table holds up to 12 people.
- Cross Street: Tasker Street
- Public Transit: 2 blocks east from the Broad Street Line - Tasker/Morris stop. Bus route 23 on 12th st to Tasker St.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: There is usually close metered street parking, as well as a metered lot across the street. We also offer discounted valet parking on Fridays and Saturday nights.
A word from Fond
Fond is a Contemporary American Restaurant, with eclectic flavors & fresh, seasonal ingredients. Run by three friends, guests can expect to feel welcome & relaxed. We now offer a full bar as well as a wine and beer list. We offer BYOB from Tuesday to Thursday, with corkage fee on Friday, Saturday and special holidays. We are located on bustling East Passyunk Avenue in South Philadelphia. Come join Fond for happy hour, every Tuesday thru Friday from 5:30-7:00, BAR ONLY. Fond also has chef's tables that seat 10, that oversee our kitchen where Chef Lee Styer will demonstrate his cooking.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Fond reviews from OpenTable diners
99 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (84)neighborhood gem (66)special occasion (55)romantic (35)great for outdoor dining (16)notable wine list (15)hot spot (15)scenic view (10)good for groups (8)vibrant bar scene (7)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- DisappointingRumpusDined on 5/7/2014Disappointing as there was limited menu and nothing new. (Our fourth time at Fond) at 5:30 (yes5:30 ) they were out of Cod which left tuna, steak or pork belly. So we got two small plates each both, which were ok. Sort of a take it or leave it attitude by the head waiter who is usually very cordial. Our waiter was very good, have had him before. Again a disappointing evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The tasting menu, a perfect choiceJenniferVIPDined on 5/3/2014Don't hesitate: the well-priced, portioned, and paced five-course tasting menu is the perfect option, given the many delicious choices on the menu and the flexibility of the chef and servers to accommodate diners' hankerings. We will certainly be back the next time we're in town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!carolineDined on 5/2/2014Wonderful food, drink and service. Beautiful small restaurant perfect for friends or romance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a delight.PatJVIPDined on 5/1/2014We have so loved the great places in Queens Village and have found another gem; what a wonderful place. It was a beautiful Spring night and we sat next to the opened windows watching the life on the street as we had one perfect morsel after another with service that made us fill regal. The food couldn't be any better and the service so friendly. The atmosphere is low key and relaxed. We are from out of town and we only wish we lived in Philly so we could come back here again and again and again. This is a great place, don't miss it.Special Features:
- Perfectly executed.JMatzDined on 4/24/2014Philly has such a vibrant restaurant scene but lately we've been only trying new restaurants for us it's mostly been a frustrating adventure until Fond. Beautiful food, perfectly executed. Delightful staff. I highly recommend and it's the first restaurant in months to which I'll return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticlilmissmolDined on 4/22/2014The restaurant is so beautifully decorated- elegant, classy, and simple. The waitstaff is attentive and profesional but not stuffy, the food was impeccable, delicious, and unique, and the chef was friendly and accommodating. Great night with my best friend and a great date night spot.Special Features:
- Held up to the hypehazrdusDined on 4/22/2014Wanted to go to Fond for a few years now......Birthday was coming up so I made the RSVP. As I heard it was small, I wasn't taken aback when we walked in and it was a dainty space with lots of people! We frequent DMitris, so this was nothing! We were seated promptly and given the specials and drink list... although it is a BYOB still on Tues-Thurs. you can still order from the bar when your bottle is finished, like we did! Every course was plated beautifully and the tastes matched the plating, fine-tuned and finessed. Foie Gras and Crudo to start.... after an amuse bouche of mushroom soup that was amazing! Next a complimentary plate of the Chicken Liver Mousse! OMG! Amazing. So smooth and flavorful. Entrees=perfect, dessert= even better!Special Features:
- great French restaurantalrlovaDined on 4/22/2014The service is great. Our waiter was very prompt, knowledgeable and attentive. The food is awesome if you're a french enthusiast.Special Features:
- Incredibly cool and tasty drinksJoizeygirlDined on 4/16/2014Even though Fond is BYO tu-th, seriously checkout the cocktail menu. Food rocked too, of course. Service was great, and very engaged.Special Features:
- Great food, service could use workScottVIPDined on 4/12/2014The pork belly, short ribs, and duck hearts were incredible as well as the moderna cocktail. Disappointing that at 7:30 on a Saturday night a restaurant with 5 entrees on their menu could have sold out of one in addition to being out of one of their two specials. Service was very slow but they threw in a free sorbet sampler which was also great. Filled to the brim and so service was slow and not always responsive. The food was well worth the wait, we'll be back.Special Features:
- The food was very good andlindaVIPDined on 4/5/2014The food was very good and we will definitely go back.Special Features:
- PhenomenalOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 4/4/2014There were 3 in our party and we opted for the 5-course tasting menu. At $57 it is right up there with Sbraga in value for the quality and creativity delivered. This was our first time at Fond but certainly not our last. Each course exceeded expectatations, however, the skate accompanied by a lemon and pea risotto was world class. The tuna crudo was also memorable. The dessert had so much going on that a brief description would not do it justice -- superb is the word that best applies. The light, creamy mushroom soup (a complimentary start to the tasting menu) was flawless and maxed in terms of flavor. Even the intermezzo of elderberry sorbet was extraodinary in both its texture and intensity.This reataurant has to be among Philly's elite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, ambiance andOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/1/2014Excellent food, ambiance and service. Would recommend hightly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely EveningcactusDined on 3/28/2014This was a great place to celebrate a special anniversary. The service is impeccable, and the food is very good. Next time, however, I would order a la carte rather than the prix fixe dinner. A few things among the five courses were outstanding--the tuna and the skate--but a few dishes fell short (the liver--too strong; and the dessert selection--so-so). The atmosphere is lovely; reminded me of Paris.Special Features:
- had another great evening..........luckyVIPDined on 3/28/2014had another great evening..........reserve outstanding grade for the rare find but Fond is very closeSpecial Features:
- Excellent food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/28/2014Excellent food and service - very convivial. Space small so noise can be on the higher side. Excellent wine by the glass. E. Passayunk scene. Valet parking avaiable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small dining area. Food wasOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/25/2014Small dining area. Food was excellent, a bit pricey but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall great dinning experience!CiCiDined on 3/21/2014Overall great dinning experience! Everyone enjoyed their appetizers and main dishes (tuna, swordfish, salmon, skate, seasonal salads). I'd say the dessert was unremarkable but everything else made the evening worth it! Wait staff was very attentive. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeValouDined on 3/15/2014We went there a saturday night and we liked it! We ate first the tuna which was amazing. For the main course, the salmon was perfectly cooked and the seasoning was delicious. The service was globally great but I think that some of the waiters were stressed, and we felt it... I recommend Fond, and the place is really lovely, cosy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tables are crowded togetherPrinceDined on 3/15/2014Tables are crowded together because the place is sooooo small. Noise level gets high. But that's the case at all higher end restaurants now. However, the food is superb! Servers are eager to help and they are well informed. They are always at hand but are not officious. It's the kind of place you look forward to revisiting. Reasonably priced for the high quality ingredients and presentation you receive. Small but satisfying wine list by the glass. Fine selections by the bottle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful eveningJAMMDined on 3/8/2014We had a FABULOUS dinner at Fond. 6 people, at the tasting table in the "back" room. It was beautiful, the service GREAT and the food ... EXCELLENT. We will definitely go back .... SOON!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another nice dinner at FondWeekendDinerDined on 3/7/2014This is our third time at Fond and again we were not disappointed. Our seating was ready when we arrived. The service was great and the meal and wine were excellent. The topper was the desert and pressed coffee to end a wonderful dinner. The Passyunk associations valet parking, right by Fond, is worth the $8.00 since parking is scarce there. They returned our car in 5 minutes.Special Features:
- Great choice for a special dinnerJoJoDined on 3/6/2014I went with two friends on a thursday night to celebrate a birthday and a new job. The meal was fabulous!! We had the grilled octopus for an appetizer and Skate and Swordfish were excellent!! We went on a thursday night and were able to bring a bottle of wine. The food and service were excellent!! I will definitely go again with my husband who is also a foodie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A busy Saturday night at FondAlbertRichlegsDined on 3/1/2014We hadn't dined at Fond since they moved to their new location a year or so ago. Made a reservation for 8:45, but when we showed up at that time, our table wasn't available yet. The restaurant is tiny and there's really no place to hang out - the bar was also occupied by casual diners - and the spot we found at the end of the bar seemed to be in the path of the servers. Luckily, it wasn't too long before our table became available, and the fun got underway at last. Service was polite, helpful, not intrusive. Food and wine were both delightful. I was surprised how late the scene remained lively there - diners were still arriving at 10pm! Music a bit on the loud side, especially for a tiny spot like this. Still, we left happy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the TripDSJFoodieDined on 2/28/2014from "deep South Jersey". The food was outstanding, as we expected from the reviews. The scallop special was absolutely delicious and the skate wing was perfect. The cannolis were divine. Service was a little off. We waited to be greeted; my partner was presented with the wrong main course; and, our wine was poured for the neighboring table. The noise level and the tight space probably contributed to both problems. Apologies were offered and amends quickly made. Looking forward to visiting again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hip On the SquareKevinVIPDined on 2/27/2014We've been several times and the food is amazing in its consistency. A cold winter night was the perfect time to enjoy short ribs with spaetzle after amazing chicken liver mousse. We tend to sit at the bar when eating dinner and Christian is a great conversationalist and even better bartender.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flavorful FareLinnDined on 2/27/2014Service was great. We arrived early and enjoyed drinks at the beautifully crafted wooden bar. The crafted drinks were tasty. We began dinner with the Grilled Calamari and Escargot. The Calamari offered a tasty new twist on an old (typically) Italian favorite and the Escargot was delightful in both presentation and flavor. We enjoyed the refreshing taste of Roasted Acorn Squash before being treated to a shot of the mushroom soup, which was amazing as were the Beef Short Ribs we had for an entree. We finished with warm mocha cake - delicious! Not an ideal place for large groups but 2-4 should be comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the Best Meals I've Ever HadAverageVIPDined on 2/26/2014It was seriously some of the best food I have ever eaten, & one of the best ways I have ever been treated, by ALL staff. Everyone was so friendly & accommodating. We did the Chef's tasting Menu instead of the Restaurant Week Menu, which allowed us to try more things. I loved everything I had. The foie gras was the most incredible thing I have ever tasted. We were also asked if we wanted to take a peak at the Chef's Table, which is beautiful. I am so looking forward to coming back to try new things, but every time I come here, from now on, I will ALWAYS get the foie gras.Special Features:
- Lovely placecxk13Dined on 2/25/2014glad we finally got to try a restaurant in the East Passyunk area - loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I highly recommend the 4 coursesaramaxDined on 2/22/2014I highly recommend the 4 course tasting menu. The meal was very well balanced and the portions were perfect. Our favorite items were the skate and the pork belly, although everything was delicious and satisfying. We ate every bite! The service was friendly and perfectly timed. This was a great choice for a celebratory meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fond of FondReillyBaileyDined on 2/21/2014We went as a table of 6 and were given a table in a small room next to the kitchen. It was great! I enjoyed watching the cooks and the serves but even more than that, we were a private table which had a lovely quiet place for us to talk. The food was terrific. The first course was a choice of vegetables or meats, with options for both warm and cold. I had the duck liver and tasted the acorn squash. Fascinating flavors, great presentation. The second course was mostly choices of fishes. I tasted both the salmon and the swordfish. I'd order either again in a heartbeat. I hope to return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First TimeislandcrkVIPDined on 2/18/2014My wife and I celebrated a good friends birthday last night at Fond. From start to finish we had an outstanding meal, great menu, perfectly cooked, great service. We will be back many times in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectSurfbankerDined on 2/15/2014One of the best restaurants in Philadelphia. Excellent service, great location on the square and food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No meat.elviseatsDined on 2/12/2014The chef did a special menu for me and my date of all fish dishes. All were wonderful!Special Features:
- AMAZING!!!JoeBDined on 2/11/2014My girlfriend and I went to Fond for a late night dinner. It was absolutely amazing as soon as we walked in the door. The atmosphere was awesome and the staff was extremely friendly. We went during the week, so we brought a bottle of wine with us. We decided to go with the 5 course tasting, which was definitely the best way to go about it ($57/person). A little expensive, but great for a romantic/special occassion dinner. We started with a mushroom soup (compliments of the chef). It comes in shot glass and was extremely good. I have to say my favorite course were the pork belly and the skate wing. Either would be an amazing choice!! Will definitely be another trip soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fondness for FondfoodtravelerDined on 2/8/2014This is an wonderful night out. Only issue is the spacing between the tables. Cramped isn't the word for it. However, the service, food and warmth make up for the lack of legroom that you'll want to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasting MenuCSR3171Dined on 2/8/2014Get the 7 Course Tasting Menu. It's exceptional. The whole menu looks fantastic and I will be back to try more.Excellent experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 2/5/2014Everyone was attentive, yet not intrusive. A very nice spot, with great charm.Special Features:
- no more BYOcrphillyVIPDined on 1/25/2014SInce they moved last year Fond has added a bar and the corkage for personal wines is $10, which no one tells you when you book a table.Special Features:
- Fond never dissapoints andOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/24/2014Fond never dissapoints and the staff is eager to please its customers.Special Features: