1537 S. 11th St
Philadelphia, PA 19147Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.fondphilly.com/
- Phone: 2155515000x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Friday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Global, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Lee Styer
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, BYO Liquor, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Please call to discuss and schedule.
Sunday and Monday may be available for private events.
- Private Party Contact: Tory K. 2155515000x
- Special Events: Fond offers a private "Chefs Table Room' located in front of the kitchen, This table holds up to 12 people.
- Cross Street: Tasker Street
- Public Transit: 2 blocks east from the Broad Street Line - Tasker/Morris stop. Bus route 23 on 12th st to Tasker St.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: There is usually close metered street parking, as well as a metered lot across the street. We also offer discounted valet parking on Fridays and Saturday nights.
A word from Fond
Fond is a Contemporary American Restaurant, with eclectic flavors & fresh, seasonal ingredients. Run by three friends, guests can expect to feel welcome & relaxed. We now offer a full bar as well as a wine and beer list. We offer BYOB from Tuesday to Thursday, with corkage fee on Friday, Saturday and special holidays. We are located on bustling East Passyunk Avenue in South Philadelphia. Come join Fond for happy hour, every Tuesday thru Friday from 5:30-7:00, BAR ONLY. Fond also has chef's tables that seat 10, that oversee our kitchen where Chef Lee Styer will demonstrate his cooking.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Fond reviews from OpenTable diners
100 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (85)neighborhood gem (67)special occasion (55)romantic (36)great for outdoor dining (16)notable wine list (15)hot spot (15)scenic view (10)good for groups (8)vibrant bar scene (7)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Couldn't ask for a bettercrphillyVIPDined on 12/19/2009Couldn't ask for a better meal. Everything was fresh, ccoked perfectly and they couldn't have been nicer. Little tough on parking in that area, but well worth the trip.Special Features:
- Fond was one of the best diningOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/16/2009Fond was one of the best dining experiences I have ever had. I will definitely recommend it to everyone I know!Special Features:
- As usual everything was superb.charlesDined on 12/14/2009As usual everything was superb. It was interesting to note that while many restaurants are hurting Fond, on a Monday night just before Christmas, was fully booked!! This was the first time that service was a little slow (2 hours this eve) which is about a half hour too long for the hard wooden chairs. But we persevered.Special Features:
- Cozy BYOB serving new americanOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/14/2009Cozy BYOB serving new american cuisine. Pork belly, monk fish, steak, chicken breast. Standards with new twists. Food was good, no WOW moments for us, but well presented and prepared. Service was excellent. We were surprised by the older crowd. No light/healthy options on the menu and no vegetarian dishes. A good place to take someone who doesn't like a lot of seasoning. A good simple meal in a nice spot with excellent service.Special Features:
- It was really good, and theOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/14/2009It was really good, and the service was outstanding.Special Features:
- Excellent meal in all respects.BrigidfionnDined on 12/8/2009Excellent meal in all respects. All courses were imaginative and delicious. Presentations were outstanding and portions were properly sized. BYOB. Friendly atmosphere. Handled a party of five very well.Special Features:
- The food, the service, theOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/5/2009The food, the service, the presentation were all perfect. My only complaint is that the space is so small it's a problem getting reservations.Special Features:
- Our food and service was excellent.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/2/2009Our food and service was excellent. The staff was most amiable. The menu was quite small. I felt our choices were rather limited. At first the noise level was decent, but as the restaurant filled to capacity it was very difficult to converse with my dining partner. Perhaps some drapes or other soft surfaces would be of help.Special Features:
- Overall, our dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 12/1/2009Overall, our dining experience was very good (wish there was a 3 1/2 stars option). Service was a bit slow, but the food more than made up for it. We had the tuna crudo, which was a unique and well-thought-out take on the boring tuna taratar/carpaccio you see everywhere else. Entrees were the pork belly and scallops. The pork belly had a beautiful crispy skin but could have used some more of the fat rendered out. The side of okinawan potatoes was awesome. Scallops were also great. Normally not a fan of celery, but it worked well here with the celery root veloute and the golden raisins. Desserts were extremely enticing but, alas, we were stuffed. We'd probably be here every other week if we lived in the neighborhood.Special Features:
- Service was outstanding. BreadOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/28/2009Service was outstanding. Bread was so-so. Had a different opinion than LaBan -- Sweetbreads were out of this world, butternut squash raviolis in sage brown butter were delicious and the pork belly was a bit too thick for my dinner partner's taste (but still very good). Parsnip soup was unremarkable (chorizo garnish was fun). The malted chocolate ice cream and flourless "cake" topped with crumbled peanut brittle was superb. We'll try it again!Special Features:
- The food, generally, was delicious.FruitFulVIPDined on 11/21/2009The food, generally, was delicious. The menu needs to be reworked somewhat. There were limited choices, which is fine, but some of the choices were uninteresting and so most of the people in the restaurant seemed to be ordering the special.Special Features:
- Upon entering I almost thoughtOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/21/2009Upon entering I almost thought we were supposed to seat ourselves as no one who worked there even acknowledged our presence. After a good 2 minutes (the place was 1/3 full at the time) the hostess directed us to our table. She then literally stared at us in silence for a time long enough to be uncomfortable. She then gave us our menus. But that was it. No, "your server tonight is...". No, "can we take your bottle for you sir". Nothing. At the end of the meal, the waiter took my check and my date went to use the ladies room. As I was waiting for her and finishing my glass of wine, I was told, not asked, to leave because they needed the table. As I was waiting in the cold, another table was walking out complaining about the same treatment.
- Sublime food at a very reasonableReReVIPDined on 11/20/2009Sublime food at a very reasonable cost. Food is comparable to high-priced, four-star restaurants.Special Features:
- One of the best new BYOBsOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/19/2009One of the best new BYOBs in the City. The chicken liver mousse was light as air and absolutely divine! The staff is knowledgeable and very friendly. Lee will have much success here - he is a find!Special Features:
- Excellent meal with excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/14/2009Excellent meal with excellent service. Only negative is a slightly small menu, but the menu isn't crazy, so it is easy to find something you like (actually it was hard because I wanted to try too many things).Special Features:
- This is one of the best newOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 11/14/2009This is one of the best new restaurants of the year. The food is EXCELLENT as is the service. Some of the best ahi tuna I have ever had. My husband had the pork belly and raves about it still. Desserts are to die for, don't forget to save room!Special Features:
- Our first experience at FondOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/14/2009Our first experience at Fond was memorable. We sampled the butternut squash ravioli, grilled asparagus, and tuna for our appetizers. Everything was very fresh and I really enjoyed the creative presentation of the asparagus with the poached egg. Our entrees were equally impressive. We shared the monkfish, scallops, and the pork belly. The dishes were well presented and the flavors of the sides enhanced the main course. We look forward to our next visit. Cheers!!Special Features:
- This was one of the best mealsOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 11/12/2009This was one of the best meals we have had in quite a while!Special Features:
- Really enjoyed this new restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 11/3/2009Really enjoyed this new restaurant. Wait staff was attentive, even though they were really busy, and the food was very good.Special Features:
- The talent in the dining roomOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/2/2009The talent in the dining room and the kitchen really shine. The food is well prepared the service is attentive and friendly. Often times byo's get one or the other right, but rarely both. This is one of those rare byo's that has bothends covered very, very well. Keep up the hard work.Special Features:
- It was our first time at thesouthphillygirlVIPDined on 10/31/2009It was our first time at the restaurant. Dinner was wonderful! The crepes for dessert were definately a treat. Will make a repeat reservation in the near future.Special Features:
- Fond is Flawless. It is aWineBlondeVIPDined on 10/31/2009Fond is Flawless. It is a rarity that a restaurant creates perfection on every level, but Fond has done that. In the short period of time that it has been open, it has managed to pull together all the important ingredients that make a BYO restaurant experience outstanding: service, atmosphere, savory, and sweet. Given that they are a BYOB and the food is so fantastic, this is one restaurant you will want to bring your favorite or most prized bottle of wine. Hint: When making reservations, mention you would like to do a menu tasting- if it's available. Although the night we went there wasn't a formal tasting menu offered, the Chef gladly prepared a multiple course meal of smaller portions of ALL the evenings menu items! Very Impressive!Special Features:
- Excellant food, attentive,MicKEVIPDined on 10/30/2009Excellant food, attentive, friendly service. I would rate quality of food as good as any Phila rest. Very nice neighborhood setting. Couple of thoughts after reading previous comments: We were there at 9:30 on a Fri eve; half of the tables were filled and we could still hear the jazz playing on the restuarant's sound system, and the music was certainly not blasting. Ergo, although the tables are close, noise was not a problem. Also,at the end of our meal we were invited to linger over our coffee as opposed to being rushed out. I thought the prices were very reasonable considering the quality of food. The chef came out greeted every table, which was a really nice touch. Fond easily makes the upper part of "10 best philly restuarent" list !Special Features:
- What a gem! Really enjoyedmeme1953VIPDined on 10/30/2009What a gem! Really enjoyed the evening. Best meal in a while.Special Features:
- Higher end BYOB. Squash ravioliLeeagolf6VIPDined on 10/24/2009Higher end BYOB. Squash ravioli and sweetbreads as good as anywhere. Duck Breast spectacular. Monk fish needs some work. Sort of bland. Desserts very good. Service energetic and professional. Water glass always full (pet peeve of mine). Overall, excellent. I would put it on par with Matyson.Special Features:
- Dinner at Fond was fantastic.OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/23/2009Dinner at Fond was fantastic. My husband and I went to celebrate his birthday and we really enjoyed every moment we sent there. The food was fabulous and the service was great. Every aspect of the night was terrific. We really enjoyed it.Special Features:
- Appetizers & main coursesOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 10/23/2009Appetizers & main courses very good. Amuse bouche was sip & half of the butternut squash soup mentioned by others - you'll want your own full mug. It is still very loud in here even when not packed despite what looks like some sound baffles stapled to the ceiling in spots. Frozen irish coffee "souffle" desert arrived rock hard - not so good. French press coffee way too weak - a real waste there. We tried hard to stay an extra few minutes with this coffee - otherwise they would have had us back on the street in under an hour. Don't love this kind of rush.
- Great food, one of the topOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/22/2009Great food, one of the top restaurants in Phila - and we are really really hard to impress (the butternut squash appetizer was amazing, all though on the more fatty side - which by the way was decadently and deliciously vulgar)! Excellent desserts and french press coffee - dessert chef Jessie visited our table before we ordered asking if we had any questions regarding the desserts (nice touch!). Highly recommendable!!! Go there!Special Features:
- Fond was fabulous! The spaceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/22/2009Fond was fabulous! The space is super quaint and relaxed but the food is refined and exciting! The servers were great and knowledgeable and the food was just amazing! I highly recommend it and can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- My only suggestion would beOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/19/2009My only suggestion would be to stick to the jazz music selection. The quirky pop-ish music that was playing when we first walked in didn't fit the rest of the atmosphere. Other than that, it was a superb dining experience. Outstanding service, and excellent, creative food. I will definitely be back. Though it was lovely that all three partners of the restaurant introduced themselves to the table at the end of the evening. A very sweet place.Special Features:
- Fond is a well chosen nameOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/15/2009Fond is a well chosen name for this restaurant. Certainly it described my dining experience at this charming new restaurant. East Passyunk Avenue has been the new hot spot and this addition will keep it sizzling. The squash soup first course was delightful as was the salmon. Fresh herbs and top ingredients are evident in food preparation at Fond. The wine my dining companion and I brought worked well with the menu. Despite the chilly rainy night, every table was taken. If I were to choose just two words to describe Fond, I'd have to say "simply elegant". It aptly describes everything from the owners, menu and ambiance.Special Features:
- Food and service were amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/15/2009Food and service were amazing! Am definitely planning to return!Special Features:
- This place is quite smallmbhdinerVIPDined on 10/13/2009This place is quite small and incredibly loud. The service was courteous, for the most part, but very slow - a three couse meal took three hours! That would have been more acceptable if conversation had been less difficult. With everyone shouting to be heard, it just wasn't worth the effort.
- the food was terrific theOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/10/2009the food was terrific the service was attentive and helpful a perfect combo for an evening out unfortunately, the noise level was horrendous even at 9pm as per the waitstaff and chef, there are plans to improve this then this will a great night outSpecial Features:
- Our experience at Fond wasOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/10/2009Our experience at Fond was perfect. The staff was welcoming and attentive without being bothersome. Food selection was creative and preperation was very well done. What a joy it was to encounter pleasant manners and decorum that define "fine" dining. Chef Lee and his staff are off to a rousing start. We will be back with friends!Special Features:
- Fond is a real "find" andeatoutVIPDined on 10/9/2009Fond is a real "find" and undoubtedly will hit all of the "Foodies'" radar screen very soon. The food was fantastic and the service could not have been better. Only problem is the lack of soundproofing. The decibels must have been 10,001. This is a serious problem that will require some money to address - but the food quality, creativity and flavors together with the very fine service are all too good to lose because the noise is intolerable.Special Features:
- The service and food wereOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/3/2009The service and food were superb. Five star food and service! Dining room is very small so tends to be a bit noisy, definitely make reservations.Special Features:
- Great effort on the part ofOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/2/2009Great effort on the part of Fond and the kitchen. Entrees just did not meet expectations. They tried really hard. With a small menu, the items on it should be delicious. That was not the case. Hoping for improvement in the food quality as the ambiance was intimate and fun.
- Best dining out experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/1/2009Best dining out experience I've had in a while. Everything was absolutely wonderful! From the food to the ambiance to the service, fully on point. I really recommend this place to anyone looking for a great restaurant.Special Features:
- Great food in a small noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/30/2009Great food in a small noisy venue in an attractive South Philly neighborhood. All entrees tired were wel prepared, attractively plated and complex without being pretentious. Met all partners -- all committed to excellence. Excellent dessert selectionsSpecial Features: