93 Salem Street
Boston, MA 02113Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.anticofornoboston.com/
- Phone: 6177236733
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 3:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 3:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 3:30pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 3:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Salvatore Gaglio
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: They cater both small and large parties.
- Special Events: Restaurant Week Summer 2006
August 13-25, 2006
Menu On Line: http://www.anticofornoboston.com/restweek.htm
A word from Antico Forno
Stop by Antico Forno for a great meal in an atmosphere that is casual and relaxed with delicious food, of course, but also prices that are reasonable.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Antico Forno reviews from OpenTable diners
191 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (104)fit for foodies (63)good for groups (49)kid-friendly (46)special occasion (32)romantic (31)great for lunch (27)hot spot (24)late-night find (16)notable wine list (16)vibrant bar scene (12)scenic view (5)great for outdoor dining (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- StrangersOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/7/2014The food here was delicious. The noise level was horrible. When we were seated my companion was paying the bar tab and I was seated with complete strangers... It was so uncomfortable. Also you can not hear a single word so conversation is impossible.Special Features:
- Really good!BandPDined on 6/7/2014Found this 1000-point table open for an early dinner and decided to give it a try. At first we were slightly disappointed because it didn't appear as nice inside as it looked in the picture, but it was very clean and the staff very knowledgeable and friendly. Had an excellent wine, an even better dinner (Fettuccine Positano), and the Tiramisu was a perfect way to cap it off!Special Features:
- Ok but nothing really great. .\MrBillDined on 6/6/2014Appetizers were great but the dinner was less than inspiring. Ok but nothing specialSpecial Features:
- Best pasta sauce I've ever had!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/5/2014If you want old school Italian, look no further. This place was as authentic feeling and tasting as it gets. My one piece of advice: skip the pizza (no very flavorful, had much better) and go straight to the pastas. The tomato sauce was THE BEST I've ever had. I am still dreaming about it. Prices are very reasonable. Portions are huge so bring your appetite. House chianti is just fine at $9/glass. The tiramisu was also great. Packed on a Thurs night but we were still able to get same day reservations. I highly recommend!Special Features:
- Olde Time FavscooperhunterDined on 6/5/2014Basics ruled supremely! Less is best than overwhelm w/ too much ingreds... The only thing that needs to go up is just a little bit more on svc,,, the wait on that needs to go down fast!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food and atmosphereDinnerDined on 6/4/2014Great restaurant in the North End. Lots of character, cozy and great food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good experience hereLiMiDiDined on 6/1/2014The food and service here are always excellent; I appreciate a restaurant that can be counted on to be consistently good. I have taken so many people here, it's our go-to restaurant in the North End. Two in our party had the lasagna (fabulous); I had veal parmigiana which was unbelievably tender, the best I've had in a long time; we all shared the Antipasto Tradizionale - FANTASTIC, and so generous!! It appears they have expanded their menu which now includes even more wonderful choices. Service is always good, attentive and friendly, the staff really knows how to do it right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud!JeriDined on 5/29/2014Don't go to this restaurant if you want to have a conversation! The noise level made that impossible without shouting which, of course, added to the noise level. I had a pizza, which was not too bad - good crust, but way too much garlic and almost no cheese. Definitely wouldn't order it again. Both my husband and our friend loved their pasta dishes - there wasn't a bite left on their plates. Service was "interesting" - our waitress was abrupt and didn't seem to understand our questions, and tended to tell us that something was good rather than answer the specific question we asked. Actually, it may just have been that she couldn't hear what we were saying. We also waited in vain for drink refills and gave up without having dessert.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 5/28/2014Nice place, good food but the noise level was uncomfortable....I am not old and don't mind a good buzz, but the noise drove me out a little earlier...no desert, not that you need it with mikes down the block, but a nice espresso would of topped off the dinner...
- Great find.SimoneDined on 5/26/2014Loved this restaurant, the food was excellent and plentiful. Great service and great location. Wish I lived in Boston so I could go again.Special Features:
- Great family timepokerDined on 5/26/2014We recently had lunch and were in the mood for some great Italian food. We were not disappointed! The food was great, the restaurant is in a great part of town and near parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good north end spotLizOVIPDined on 5/25/2014The waitstaff was a little bit rude/uninterested but overall the food was good and the location is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Italian in the North EndjazzyjoyceDined on 5/24/2014Whenever we visit Boston this is one of 3 restaurants we cannot miss. With so many Italian restaurants to choose from in the North End once you eat here you will be hooked. The food is delicious, comfort Italian, the wait staff is knowledgeable and accommodating. They greet you like a family member and want you to be happy with your meal and experience. If you don't make a reservation on the weekends you probably won't get in. Even with a reservation we waited about 20 minutes for our table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectlisaDined on 5/23/2014Twice a year my husband and I go into Boston for a get away. This is our favorite place to eat in the city the food and service are always fantastic. Prices are very reasonable for the quality you receive. Thanks for another great evening!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1504 reviews are from the Antico Forno reviews archive.
- Great new lunch spotKelleyDined on 5/19/2014This was my first time here, I was given a gift certificate by a "foodie" friend. Food was great!! Love the bread & olive oil, wine was great, yummy Caprese salad & Margherita pizza. I took an order of chicken parm home, and it was a huge hit with my daughter. The restaurant is not that big, has a very comfortable vibe, without feeling cramped. We sat near the big, open windows front at the front of the restaurant, which was nice. The food is priced very reasonably, and they give you large portions. I will definitely recommend this place to others, and will be back myself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gem in the North EndOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/16/2014I've dined here for years. It's one of my favorite stops in the North End, even though it seems to be overlooked by a lot of folks. Oh well, their loss! Antico Forno's specialty is seafood, and the dishes are outstanding. The linguine al frutti di mare is a long-time favorite, and with good reason: the seafood is tender and delicious, never over-cooked. The Caprese salad was light and flavorful, as a caprese should be. And the fettuccine positano is a new favorite. Ad an added bonus, Antico Forno offers a selection of gluten-free pasta. There are some trade-offs - our linguine and fettuccine became penne - but the dishes were still marvelous. And I believe they now offer gluten-free dough for their pizzas as well. Buon appetito!Special Features:
- Out of townersDebbyDined on 5/15/2014Service was good- not overbearing, yet attentive. Entrees were very good and portions more than adequate.Special Features:
- decent north end local restaurantDCdesignerDined on 5/13/2014Go here for the brick oven pizza. The place is casual. The food is not the best Italian food I've ever had but it's also by far not the worst. Nice casual neighborhood atmosphere, not pretentious, good food, attentive staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favorite placesWineloverVIPDined on 5/11/2014We always have a great meal when we come here. We live close by so we frequently eat in the north end. The prices are reasonable and the food is so fresh. We love the brick oven!!!Special Features:
- Find another North End restaurantNEVMSDined on 5/10/2014The North End is obviously touristy so even at 5 the restaurant was jammed and loud enough to interfere with conversation. We were seated immediately and service was pleasant.I ordered the house salad which was drenched in basalmic vinegar and the veal scallopine which was gristly, pretty tasteless and of an odd consistency My companion had the baked chicken which he enjoyed. I would certainly not return to Antico Forno.
- Antico BuonoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/3/2014As an Italian - American, it can be oddly difficult to find satisfying food that is both authentic to southern Italy and reasonably priced, in an unpretentious atmosphere - in the North End of Boston. The neighborhood is wildly packed these days on weekends with a dizzying number of restaurants. Antico Forno has been my go -to place when I am with out out of town guests or just ambling about in the city. Their pizza is particularly very good and well priced. Reservations are recommended if you can. The only concern of mine is the unusual sound level in the brick lined rooms. Though there is no music, the vibrant conversations of satisfied guests combine to make it difficult to hear one another sometimes. Great food at decent prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday DinnerPffjrDined on 5/3/2014Service was excellent and waitress was very friendly. The level of noise was excessive and it was difficult for our table of 6 to converse. Generous portions but food was fair. I had veal pram that was rather dry.Special Features:
- JazzyDined on 5/2/2014Everything was delicious! I loved my Lasagna Primavera! The bread and salads were also wonderful. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Boston italianBostonvisitorsDined on 5/1/2014Great food and very relaxed family atmosphere. Plenty of options. Great energy. Kids are 7 and 10. Was nice enough that I didn't feel stuck at a kid restaurant but not do nice that they couldn't relax.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Homemade pastaAZMikeVIPDined on 5/1/2014We heard the Pizzas here were amazing, but I opted for the homemade pasta with scallops and shrimp. It was outstanding and even the bread was like my mom used to make. I have this place on my list of must go to places when in Boston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always reliable!SiminaDined on 4/29/2014Very good food, reasonable and friendly,funny staff. Have been many times and never disappoints. Went there with a group of 14 and our table was ready. The brick oven pizza is always good and other food dish portions whether it be chicken marsala or linguine con vongole finished off in the brick oven are always plentiful! Off the beaten path gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DrnolaDrnolaVIPDined on 4/24/2014I was pleasantly surprised by my experience after reading some mixed reviews, but we enjoyed our dining experience. The veal was excellent as was the pasta with sausage and peppers. My wife's spaghetti was also delicious. The tiramisu was the best I have ever had which is remarkable in that I have traveled to Italy frequently and always order tiramisu. We didn't have the pizza, but our waitress told us that they are rated #9 in the world for pizza. Definitely plan a return soon to try the pizza.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DebbieDined on 4/20/2014We made a reservation at least a month in advance the night before the marathon for 6:30, which was the earliest we could get a table. We arrived and the place was packed with diners hovering everywhere waiting for their tables. It turns out the restaurant accepted a group reservation for 39 people at 5 PM and the people were not leaving. We waited at least 45 minutes to be seated. The servers were frazzled!We would have gone elsewhere but knew every other Italian restaurant would be booked solid with runners wanting their pasta dinner. The runners need to eat in a timely manner before the race.We were not impressed! All in all, very poorly handled with no apologies from the staff at the restaurant.
- Wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/20/2014Service, food, atmosphere all top notch! Cannot wait to for the next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice surpriseDCtravelerDined on 4/20/2014We picked this restaurant because of the reviews and ease of getting a reservation on the day before the Boston Marathon and it being Easter Sunday. The food was very good with home made pasta, generous portions. The pizza was very good, brick oven made. The bread was delicious with nice crunchy crust. We have been to several of the other restaurants in the North End and this one did not disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/20/2014We frequent Antico Forno; especially for major holidays. The food is very good. Well prepared. Cooked properly and nicely presented. The service is stellar. Donna is simply the best in the business. We live 30 miles outside of Boston and come to town 11-12 times a year. Invariably, we have either lunch or dinner at Antico Forno. It is our "go to" restaurant when meeting friends from out of town. It is also the ONLY restaurant we patronize in the North End. While other places are good, Antico Forno is the best.Special Features:
- Excellent restuarant!Norbert1Dined on 4/19/2014Without a doubt, this is Boston's best Italian food! I have been to most of the Italian restaurants in town multiple times and Antico Forno consistently holds the top spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining Experienceanticoforno1Dined on 4/18/2014We arrived 30 minutes early and had a chance to sit at the bar. The atmosphere, food, drinks, & bartender were exceptionally great .. I would definitely visit again and highly recommend them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What's the fuss about?ShamwowDined on 4/16/2014The food was nothing to write home about! Very ordinary. Nothing spectacular.Special Features:
- Disappointing ...DaveVIPDined on 4/13/2014I have eaten here a dozen times. Last Sunday, I used this site (as always) for a solo lunch at 2:00. At the time of the booking, times were also available at 1:30 and 2:30. Arriving 10 minutes early, I was told there were no tables available "for one" and she had no idea when there would be one. The only option would be the bar? In many locations of the North End, the bar is a chosen option - not here. The line up for the 2 bathrooms is at your back. Also, the door to the kitchen is always swinging open and servers hang there waiting for drink orders. Families wait there until larger tables are pieced together for them. Their children are allowed soda and drinks at the bar. Taking up all available seats for 5-10 minutes?
- MediocreGeorgeVIPDined on 4/12/2014Indifferent hostess on the way in. Average pizza with a bread-like dough that had probably been frozen. Our server was okay, but, the rest of the staff looked bored and ignored everything going on in the restaurant. Hostess ignored us on the way out.
- OkNopeDined on 4/6/2014The food and service was ok. But I've had better of both for much less cost.
- Ok but I won't come backPaolatinaDined on 4/6/2014Food was good nothing out of this world. Service was ok. Overall not impressed with the anythingSpecial Features:
- Good prices for N. End but v. loud!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/5/2014I've been to Antico Forno several times and have always been happy with the quality/value for the area. Generally the ambiance and service have been good. However, our recent experience on a Sat night left a bit to be desired. We arrived a few minutes early for our rese, but had to wait at least 35 minutes past our reservation time to be seated. I know it's hard for restaurants to manage timing, but they clearly had overbooked. What's more, we were not offered any sort of apology. We wouldn't have minded waiting but it was so loud we had to shout to hear each other at the bar. That said, the food and service were good once we were seated. I'll return but will skip busy Fri and Sat nights in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the waitBruceVIPDined on 4/5/2014On a Saturday night, this place jumps! One grumpy guy waiting in line outside to get a table was heard to mutter, "This place can't be worth the wait." People who know say, "Oh yes, it is!" The food is that good, the service is amazingly good and the energy is fantastic.Special Features: