Bouchard Restaurant and Inn
505 Thames St.
Newport, RI 02840Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Bouchard Restaurant and Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bouchardnewport.com/
- Phone: 4018460123
- Hours of Operation:
Wednesday - Monday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Albert J Bouchard III
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine
- Catering: Let Restaurant Bouchard cater your next function! We can provide our services on-site in our large suite on the premises, or we can provide our services off-site as well. Our talented staff can take your event to the next level, providing fine French-inspired cuisine to your guests anywhere around the Newport area. Just call the restaurant at 401.846.0123 to talk with us about planning the consummate private event!
A word from Bouchard Restaurant and Inn
At Bouchard Restaurant, a warm relaxed ambiance and gracious welcome signals your arrival. The restaurant serves fine French cuisine in a 1785 Georgian-style house.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Bouchard Restaurant and Inn - Best Restaurants in Newport ›
Bouchard Restaurant and Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
179 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (146)romantic (134)fit for foodies (126)notable wine list (74)neighborhood gem (55)good for groups (8)hot spot (4)vibrant bar scene (3)late-night find (2)great for lunch (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Outstanding dining, as usual...BucksterDined on 7/21/2014One of highlights of our trips to Newport is dining at Bouchards, and once again, they did not disappoint. From the scallop ravioli appetizer, Salade aux Poires au Roquefort, Filet de Boeuf “en tranche” Sauce Porto, to the white chocolate crepes, all were fantastically delicious. Our server, Dan (also known as "Don Juan"), was attentive and thoroughly professional as usual. It is expensive, but in this case, it is truly worth the expense.Special Features:
- Une experience unique!MimiDined on 7/20/2014Un pur delice pour les yeux et le palais. Le chef sait faire les meilleures sauces de fruit de mer.Special Features:
- Stuffy and stodgy. Skip it!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/19/2014For the price, you would think the food and service would be topnotch. It was good country club food, at best. Our waiter was insane and spoke to us like children - we're not deaf. We're under 50! Maybe he's used to the normal clientele of the living dead that surrounded us. I would NOT recommend this place. There are a ton of vibrant, fun restaurants in Newport. SKIP THIS ONE!!!
- Newport's 2-Star Michelin GemAlphaDinerDined on 7/19/2014This was truly a great dining experience. My party of four felt very welcome in a dignified way. Staff was appropriately dressed and provided precise advice in a discrete manner. Food was superb all around. Tables were nicely spaced. My guests from Europe were extremely impressed with the overall dining experience which was similar to any Michelin two-star restaurant in France. They were amazed to learn that the Michelin Guide does not apply to Rhode Island. It was reassuring to see Madame Bouchard monitor the service level. When we asked to meet her afterwards, she was charming, friendly and even posed for a group photograph. For patrons worried about parking on Thames Street in high season, Bouchard provides a free pass to a nearby lot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just fabulous!ambartDined on 7/19/2014Perfection from start to finish! The service was impeccable, the ambiance delightful, the wine delicious, and the food just perfectly prepared and presented. My sister, my niece, and I were celebrating our last evening on a girls' holiday in Newport and this put our list of memories over the top! Bouchard Restaurant definitely deserves its very high rating.Special Features:
- Bouchard reviewNavymomDined on 7/18/2014We went for a special occasion dinner. The food was amazing, perfectly cooked beef and duck. The special soufflé was delicious. I am looking forward to another visit!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/16/2014We had dinner at Bouchard several nights ago. In short, the experience was excellent in all respects. Bouchard is one of the best French restaurants at which we have ever dined, including those in France. The menu is varied and the food quality tops. Service was impeccable. We will certainly come back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Restaurant in Newport!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/11/2014This restaurant is dimly lit and has a very romantic vibe to it. Our server was super polite and attentive. The bf ordered the yellowtail tartare and pork loin. I ordered the restuffed lobster with scallops and truffle sauce and a souffle. The yellowtail tartare was delicious and fresh. I loved that you could eat everything on the plate. The "decorations" were made of sweet potato, mashed potato, zucchini, and broccoli. The lobster sauce was so good and not overly salty. The souflee was the only thing that had to be ordered ahead of time. I believe it was vanilla flavored and the sauce that it came with had a decent amount of alcohol. It was so fluffy and just sunk in so effortlessly. Overall, the best meal I've ever had in a while.Special Features:
- GillDined on 7/11/2014It is always a pleasure to dine in a restaurant where owners and staff take pride in their restaurant. That feeling is very noticeable fro the moment you walk in. Their enthusiasm is infectious and justified by the food and service. If you appreciate those qualities and have the money, a place worth enjoying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!LindaVIPDined on 7/11/2014The food was delicious and the service was helpful and charming. It's hard to find a great French restaurant that doesn't disappoint, but Bouchard lived up to the hype. Even something as simple as their butter for the rolls was delicious. Their soufflé melted in my mouth. I was a little put off at first because they gave me a hard time about being a little late for my reservation, when there was only 1 other table occupied by the time I got there. I mellowed out quickly. This restaurant is a little pricier and dressier than some of the other restaurants on Thames Street. It's geared towards a more mature crowd, as evidenced by the reading glasses by the front desk. It's a great find though and I would recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- July 3, 2014MeateaterDined on 7/3/2014They held a table for me on a busy night well beyond when most places would say "sorry" (nit meaning it). My luggage did not make it with me, and my dinner companion got lost. We we greeted with friendly faces and warm demeamors. There was nor rush th "usher us through dinner" as quickly as possible. Menu very complete, great wine lish, and our "waiter" was professional, personal, entertaining, and served with excellence without ever once approaching the table "just checking". And he was that way with all of his patron. If not THE best dining experience ever, definitely top 3.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food A+un4gettableDined on 7/2/2014People say that we are too particular about food. But we don't mind paying for quality, and the quality here outdistanced the dollars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect FlavorsLisaDined on 7/2/2014We had a fabulous dinner at Bouchard, the wait between courses was a bit long and the restaurant was not full until we left but the food was outstanding. We had Lobster Bisque and Scallop Ravioli to start both were very good. My husband enjoyed the re-stuffed lobster and the pork tenderloin was the the best pork dish I'd ever had it is beyond amazing. At the end of the meal the owners kindly sent over a glass of champagne to us for our anniversary which was very kind and totally unexpected. If you appreciate layers of flavor, this is a must do when in Newport.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/30/2014Surpassed expectations. Bouchard deserves the #1 spot on any list for restaurants in Newport.Special Features:
- I even brought my three young boysEricEfoodieVIPDined on 6/30/2014Ever since Le Petit Auberge closed in Newport I've been looking for a replacement, this is it. I should also mention that I brought my three young boys who are all under age 10 and was very concerned about how I would be received. Those concerns were quickly resolved as the wait staff could not have been nicer nor more understanding. Anything that you may have read about snobbery I did not encounter whatsoever and the food is classic French fare done to perfection.Special Features:
- Excellent Place for Fine DiningFoodandFunDined on 6/30/2014Wonderful French food, excellent staff, beautiful dining area. What more needs to be said? If I could afford to eat here every night, I would. Bouchard's is a sublime dining experience and is also perfect for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rude and anti-childrenOTOLARYNGOLOGYDined on 6/29/2014PLEASE DO NOT ATTEND THIS RESTAURANT WITH CHILDREN, THEY ARE NOT WELCOMED AND WIL BE RUDE.
- Excellent restaurantwhammoDined on 6/28/2014Our first visit. Perhaps the finest restaurant in Newport, and we have been to many quality restaurants in that city. Excellent food and service. The food was a little pricey but well worth it. The delicious appetizers, our wonderfully prepared and very tasty entrees as well as the mouth watering house special dessert made our evening a very memorable experience. Also, Max and the young woman with a slight accent were both terrific in making our anniversary dinner very special. They never felt rushed and engaged very nicely with us in conversation. We'll definitely go back, and we certainly will not wait until our next anniversary!Special Features:
- Sometimes you get what you pay for.JimandSueDined on 6/28/2014I read the online reviews and came expecting Bouchard to be overpriced and overhyped. Instead I was pleasantly surprised to find that the restaurant delivered on the promises in the reviews. It is French but without the pretention that we sometimes find in French restaurants in the U.S. The food was outstanding. Our selections were monkfish with a Pernod touched sauce and a veal chop Oscar. Both dishes were well balanced, seasoned perfectly, and prepared with superb ingredients. Maxime, our waiter, helped get the wine right after listening to our tastes and learning from out drink orders. In general the whole wait staff exhibited Maxime's attention to detail and focus on our needs. Bouchard is moderately expensive, but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantasticskialta23Dined on 6/28/2014Re-stuffed lobster to die for. A culinary menu and Max, our waiter, was so pleasant. Perfect for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointingWineLoverVIPDined on 6/27/2014Everyone told us this was the best restaurant in Newport. What a disappointment! Food was mediocre. Service was okay, but spotty. Wine selection left much to be desired. Living on its reputation - would never go back.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/26/2014Simply outstanding french restaurant in every respect. Everything superb.Special Features:
- Amazing experience! A must visitGregoryDined on 6/23/2014We went to Bouchard the other night for a special occasion and were so happy we did. The staff was incredible, and made sure we had a special evening. They made wonderful food recommendations, as well as wine selections. The food was outstanding, every course. I would highly recommend a visit to anyone looking for an magnificent dining experience.Special Features:
- Truly fantastic experience!!!LilfoodieDined on 6/23/2014We decided to dine at Bouchard after rave reviews from our kids. It more than lived up to all of them. The restaurant is lovely and wait staff are formally dressed. Rolls, hot from the oven, served with butter with sprinkles of crystallized finishing salt set the stage. The seared foie gras was melt in your mouth superb. The menu choices are extensive and there were several great-sounding specials. We both had the Dover Sole as there are few places where one can get real Dover sole--delicious, beautiful presentation. The white Burgundy wine, suggested by our excellent waiter, Dan was the perfect pairing for the fish. We ordered the Grand Marnier soufflé for dessert--so light and delicious. What a great meal. Can't wait to return.Special Features:
- Incredible DinnerTraveledDined on 6/21/2014Went to Bouchard's this past Saturday with my husband, our son and his fiancé. Were able to luckily change our reservation for 2 to 4 at last minute. The food is beyond incredible. Starting with the appetizers, which are perfect sized portions. Not enough to fill you, but leaving you with an urge for more. We had a variety at the table, escargot, lobster puff, tuna and pate. Everyone cleaned their plate. Dinner was equally as incredible. Again, perfect size portions - and everything on the plates was eaten. Wine list was up there with some of the best restaurants we've been to. The soufflé should not be missed.Special Features:
- The following 1016 reviews are from the Bouchard Restaurant and Inn reviews archive.
- Highly RecommendMikeFamaDined on 6/20/2014Great food and service -- the Cod Dinner and Lobster Bisque as well as the Salad and Dover Sole were amazing with Fantastic Service and AtmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Totally HappyEricWDined on 6/20/2014This place has it all and the sauces are to savor and savor and savor. You can't go wrong here and Max our server was perfect.Special Features:
- This place was amazing!SueagraviadorVIPDined on 6/20/2014Our experience at the Bouchard Inn could not have been any better. Food was spectacular, service was amazing and everything was just perfect. We had a group of 6 and were there celebrating my husband's graduation from grad school. I ordered the fillet with shallot sauce, my husband ordered the stuffed lobster and others in my table ordered the salmon, pork and duck. Portions were generous and we all finished every bite. For dessert we had the soufflé which was light, delicious and a perfect way to finish our night. For appetizers we had the tuna tartar, pate and lobster puff pastry. I have nothing to complain about and will definitely be back for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best in NewportLongtimeHartforddinerDined on 6/19/2014The food is outstanding. Always top quality along with the service. Our go to place when we crave fine French cooking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RichardDined on 6/18/2014We have dined at this magnificent restaurant many times over the years, and it just keeps getting better. Everything on the menu is wonderful In preparation and presentation, and the service is thoroughly professional, in a warm, friendly, attentive and caring manner. This IS our favorite restaurant, anywhere!Special Features:
- Always excellent.NoneVIPDined on 6/16/2014Bouchard has consistently delicious food and exquisite service. It stands out among the many good restaurants in Newport.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnalooDined on 6/16/2014Excellent food and service without being pretentious. Pricey, but well worth it.Special Features:
- Lovely eveningEb21Dined on 6/13/2014We enjoyed our evening at Bouchards. The french influenced Food was excellent, paired with a very friendly service. We'll be back.....Special Features:
- MaxFish10Dined on 6/13/2014Great service!!!!! Great at meeting dietary requirements! Food very beautifully presented and very tasty!!!!Special Features:
- wbhaVIPDined on 6/12/2014Excellent meal..very special place..from the salads to the entrées to dessert..fantasticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodMesdmdDined on 6/9/2014Was visiting Newport and found great reviews for this restaurant and was not disappointed. The meal was excellent and the service was impeccable but not at all stuffy. Would go out of my way to dine here again .Special Features:
- WonderfulConnieDined on 6/9/2014This is a restaurant dedicated to fine dining and it proves it. The service and the food were outstanding. The presentation of the food is beautiful in some cases art.Special Features:
- Beautiful meal!LauraDined on 6/8/2014We had a beautiful meal there Sunday! The puff pastry appetizer and lobster entree were perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Find!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/8/2014If you enjoy food you have to try this restaurant! This has to be the best food in Newport. To make this a wonderful dining experience management does not allow young children which does make this more of a romantic experience. They have my vote!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Going away dinnerCaretinaDined on 6/7/2014The wife and I had an 8:00 pm dinner with friends who are moving to Florida. Third time we have eaten at Restaurant Bouchard in recent months. Never dissapoints. Quickly becoming our favorite restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.