Bouchard Restaurant and Inn
505 Thames St.
Newport, RI 02840Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Bouchard Restaurant and Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bouchardnewport.com/
- Phone: 4018460123
- Hours of Operation:
Wednesday - Monday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Albert J Bouchard III
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine
- Catering: Let Restaurant Bouchard cater your next function! We can provide our services on-site in our large suite on the premises, or we can provide our services off-site as well. Our talented staff can take your event to the next level, providing fine French-inspired cuisine to your guests anywhere around the Newport area. Just call the restaurant at 401.846.0123 to talk with us about planning the consummate private event!
A word from Bouchard Restaurant and Inn
At Bouchard Restaurant, a warm relaxed ambiance and gracious welcome signals your arrival. The restaurant serves fine French cuisine in a 1785 Georgian-style house.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Bouchard Restaurant and Inn - Best Restaurants in Newport ›
Bouchard Restaurant and Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
179 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (146)romantic (134)fit for foodies (127)notable wine list (73)neighborhood gem (55)good for groups (8)hot spot (4)vibrant bar scene (3)late-night find (2)great for lunch (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- BarryADined on 9/5/2014Promptly seated. Lovely amfiance. Attentive service. Upscale presentation and menu. Elegant,fine dining,priced accordingly. Best combination in Newport, so far.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 9/4/2014This restaurant was the one of the best restaurants in Newport, RI. The chef is a master at sauces. Escargot outstanding as well as duck breast and squab which is what we had. Would recommend. Some other restaurants more expensive and not as good.Special Features:
- Fantastique -- Complete PerfectionFun2CritiqueDined on 9/4/2014Chose Bouchard's to celebrate our wedding anniversary. They executed flawlessly on all accounts. Wonderful food, service and ambiance. We could not be happier. Try it and see for yourself!Special Features:
- memorable experienceluv2dineDined on 9/3/2014Bouchard was a marvelous French restaurant (the only 1 in Newport) where we had exquisite food, service and ambience. The coffee crusted duck was outstanding, as was the grand marnier souflee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb food & serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/1/2014Excellent appetizer, lobster bisque and stuffed lobster. Superior dining experience.Special Features:
- Love this restaurant3dogsDined on 8/31/2014The service is impeccable, the food is delicious classic french with a twist and together they make Bouchard's our favorite fine dining restaurant in Newport. My husband and I will return here each time we are in area for a fantastic dining experience. We brought our 19 yr old son this time and he enjoyed it as much as we did. The sauces are outstanding but make sure to leave room for the souffle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- really wonderful dining experienceWillDined on 8/31/2014We went to Bouchard for our five year anniversary, and it was truly wonderful. The food was absolutely delicious, and the staff was very friendly (especially the hostess/manager). The only complaint we had is that food delivery was quite slow, but in all fairness, it was a busy night on a holiday weekend. We will certainly go back the next time we are in Newport, and we will recommend Bouchard to our friends!Special Features:
- Absolutely fabulousFoodluvDined on 8/30/2014Everything was outstanding- food was exquisite, wine (recommended to us by our waiter) paired well with our meals - and the staff was extremely attentive and friendly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous food and serviceLadyinredDined on 8/30/2014The food at Bouchard Restaurant is absolutely spectacular, and the service and professionalism of the waiters is outstanding. My husband and I celebrated our 20th anniversary there, and I must say that it was difficult to select which mouthwatering appetizer and entree we wanted, particularly when the addition of the specials was described to us. I ultimately selected the asparagus and lobster in a puff pastry with a cream sauce as an appetizer, and my husband selected the escargot with a garlic cream sauce. Each of the appetizers was so fantastic that we wiped up every morsel of the sauce that we could with the wonderful rolls. Beef Wellington and Cod Oscar as entree specials were equally fantastic. Dine here if you can!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A French ParadiseGerryBDined on 8/30/2014As the reservation manager elect, I was particularly interested in having all go well for our party of eight. Firstly, any restaurants, such as the one we chose for the previous night's dinner, will not set a table for eight - no problem at Bouchard. Maitre d' Dan had the perfect mix of classy presentation and down to earth humor in response to our folksy group. Secondly, the food was fantastic, from the preambles froides (hot appetizers to the pour finir (desserts), and everything in between. I highly recommend this fine establishment on your next visit to Newport.Special Features:
- AmazingLisiVIPDined on 8/29/2014One of the best restaurants have visited in a long time. Impeccable food and service. Beautiful venue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bouchard, Newport, RIA1sbestDined on 8/28/2014One wonders if the delightful place could ever be the same without Sarah and Albert. But that is not meant to belittle the waitstaff and table help or the wonderful kitchen Chef Albert has assembled. My most recent visit, of 28 August, only confirms very favorable memories of severals years past. I will make a greater effort to return soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Top NotchGourmegDined on 8/25/2014Every time we return to Bouchard the food, service and ambience is consistently top notch. In a world where nothing stays the same and top quality is rare Bouchard hits the mark every time. Make a reservation and enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HerrDocDined on 8/24/2014Excellent as always. Appetizer special (scallop ravioli) was wonderful, as was the lobster pastry. Re-stuffed lobster (lobster & scallop, with cream and cheese) was superb, as was the cod oscar. This restaurant never disappoints.Special Features:
- RUDE WAITERannieVIPDined on 8/23/2014OUR WAITER WAS EXTREMELY RUDE AND IMPOLITE. HE HAD A MISERABLE ATTITUDE FROM THE BEGINNING. HE BALKED AT HAVING TO REPEAT A SPECIAL, REFUSED TO ACKNOWLEDGE OUR 50TH ANNIVERSARY WICH WE WERE CELEBRATING WITH OUR DEAR FRIENDS WHO WERE ALSO CELEBRATING THEIR 50TH ANNIVERSARY, AND REFUSED TO TAKE A PICTURE OF US!!
- shadowVIPDined on 8/23/2014Everything was excellent--food, service, atmosphere. Went for our anniversary last year and returned again this year for same. Did not disappoint. It lived up to our expectations. Great menu. So many options that sounded good that it was hard to choose. Plan to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional food, ambiance&service.BretagneTouJoursDined on 8/22/2014Fine eateries are often classed by stars which in essence is irrelevant! Bouchard is of a class equal to the old Lutece, Madrigal, or Perigord in NYC, Da Ivo in Venezia, or La Procope in Paris, out-of-the-way eateries known and appreciated by true gourmands: it is all in the preparation and sauces, not the volume of food to eat! Should you have a most sensitive palate, Bouchard is a MUST in Newport, City-by-the-Sea!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectCJK123Dined on 8/22/2014What a fantastic meal. Food and service were outstanding. This place is a gem in Newport. Pricey but more than worth it. I will pay for a great meal any time. The escargot appetizer was the best I've eve had. The fresh tuna tartar was outstanding as well. I will visit each time I vacation in Newport!Special Features:
- Best Restaurant in Rhode IslandDonoharm1Dined on 8/22/2014We found Bouchard's listed as the top ten restaurant in Newport, RI. We had a delightful dining experience. Max our waiter and our waitress were excellent. They paid attention to our orders, did not rush our meals and were very personable. Our meals were presented beautifully and were delicious. The quality of the food and service rival any restaurant in Providence, RI, Boston, MA, Las Vegas, NV and New York, NY. This is a perfect restaurant for any special occasion.Special Features:
- Excellent!SteveDined on 8/21/2014Getting the reservation time we wanted was difficult - so we adapted to their schedule. This restaurant was highly recommended by friends - and they were right. We are so overwhelmed with Italian restaurants and food - which we love - that finding French cuisine was a real opportunity. Minor glitch in service - not even bad, just minutely less than excellent.Special Features:
- Wonderful DinnerMikeDined on 8/18/2014My wife and I just had a memorable meal at Bouchard's. The food was excellent and the service was perfect We've eaten at Bouchard's before and it was always a great experience but they seem to have stepped up their game. Bravo.Special Features:
- sandysgemm99Dined on 8/17/2014The food was great the works are great was a good time a must goSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderfulluv2eatDined on 8/17/2014Complete meal. Everything was excellent. Restuffed lobster waks excellent, get the soufflé.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What's the fuss?NaplesloverVIPDined on 8/16/2014It was a good dinner, not amazing like so many people rave about. Not sure it was worth the money. I find their splitting charge just ridiculous. They have the nerve to charge a splitting fee of $3 for appetizers and $5 for entrees. With the prices they charge, I think that is a terrible policy. To be honest, that lone line on the menu left a very bad taste in my mouth.Special Features:
- Exceptional, the word for BouchardHardtopleaseDined on 8/15/2014Our vacation's last dinner was here and topped them all for incredibly delicious food. While our table looked onto an alley, our waiter was totally knowledgeable about the food and wine offerings but not pushy. After a week of seafood, I ordered the coffee encrusted duck. It was without exception the best duck I had ever eaten, with vegetables not only exquisitely presented but delicious as well. My husband had a veal chop that almost melted in your mouth. Our salads were fine accompaniments to the meal and we finished with an incredible gran marnier soufflé. The waiter's wine suggestions were spot on and the cappuccino was a delicious end to a wonderful meal.Special Features:
- Fabulous!RichardDined on 8/10/2014The Dover Sole with Sorrel Sauce is consistently exceptional. I savored a magnificent portion of Beef Wellington. The chef's house pate is a regular for us. The service: professional, informative, friendly, prompt; everything it should be. Need I say more?Special Features:
- Tops in NewportpleasuredinersDined on 8/10/2014There are many excellent choices of owner-operated restaurants in Newport RI and Bouchard's tops that list. For some of us, the prices might make this a "special occasion" venue, but if you are visiting our little city, don't miss this one. It's worth every penny. And if you're a local (as we are), then treat yourself as often as possible. Located downtown in a beautifully maintained historic building, the whole experience will satisfy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding foodfattamalleDined on 8/9/2014Everything is top notch from the tuxedo staff to the dessert. Don't miss the souffle dessert with a nice espresso or cappuccino.Special Features:
- Delicious French Inspired MenuKMorganDined on 8/8/2014My husband and I enjoyed a wonderful meal at Bouchard. I love French food so this was a great treat for me. My husband was a bit put out about the dress code. Having lived in in London where you can dine at michelin star restaurants in casual clothes it was a little strange that here in tiny Newport we had to adhere to a strict dress code. Anyway it was worth it. The beef with port wine demi-glace and the veal with black truffle were divine. The soufflé for dessert was pretty impressive and the service was very good. It would have been nice if they had more than one dessert wine on the menu that you could order by the glass, but their port selection by the glass was better and my husband was very happy with his glass of 20 year old Tawny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Make room for dinner at BouchardDannijDined on 8/8/2014Outstanding food, impeccable service. If you're in Newport for a special occasion Bouchard should be on your must experience list!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReviewDined on 8/7/2014Very good restaurant with very well prepared classic French cooking and excellent service. The quality of the ingredients and the service were excellent.Special Features:
- Delicious and DivineFoodfanDined on 8/7/2014One of the best meals I have ever had from presentation to taste!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful dining experience2dine4Dined on 8/6/2014Amazing food, great menu and everything prepared perfectly. Almost perfect service with the exception of forgetting to give us a wine list (otherwise 5 star service). When we requested a glass of white wine when dinner arrived, they made up for it with a perfect recommendation and quickly righted their mistake. The waitstaff were highly professional yet not too stuffy. Dessert, a soufflé with a Grand Marnier sauce, was perfect with Bon Anniversarie (which we mentioned in passing) in a beautiful flourish of chocolate lettering and complementary champagne! Truly a meal we'll remember.Special Features:
- Best meal in a long timeGratitude2Dined on 8/1/2014From start to finish our whole dinning experience was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Night OutOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/31/2014Took my fiance here for his birthday. It was truly a great experience. We had Max as our waiter and he was excellent. The food was fantastic and the prices were not that bad for a place in Newport.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful wonderful!Alex3217VIPDined on 7/30/2014We celebrated our 15th wedding anniversary and brought some discerning foodies from Manhattan who were absolutely blown away. The service and food were excellent. Looking forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/26/2014First time at Restuarant and food was fantastic. Dover sole was amazing, lamb and duck was superb and nights special of striped bass was cooked to perfection. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unbelievableswirlynjDined on 7/26/2014Fabulous from start to finish. Waiter Max amazing. Could have had the air up higher. Went for our anniversary and felt like royalty! ! Absolutely delicious and perfect! ! Worth going back to Newport rhode island just to go there again!! Adult quiet luxury dining!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExquisiteCelhobDined on 7/26/2014Food was truly delicious. It's presentation on the plate and the service were both exquisite. How can service be exquisite? From the beautifully executed aerated wine pour to the impeccable timing and elegance of all aspects of the service. An unexpected treat. Good to know: business casual attire.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OH MY - in Newport!!!!!!Need4excellenceDined on 7/25/2014We have been reading reviews fir a few years now, but have not managed to get a reservation - our lucky day this year! From the minute we entered, to the minute we left, we were in heaven! Not just "another" French restaurant - a divine experience. From apps, salad, main course and dessert (you know what French masterpiece THAT was - ordered with dinner) it was course after course of mouth watering and unique creations. There even is a "specials" section for wine!!! My husband had a special - veal chop, fabulous - I had the signature lobster main course - I have no words, other than they let me meet and kiss the chef as we were leaving!!!!!! GO. NOW.Special Features: