2813 M Street, N.W.
Washington, DC 20007Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lachaumieredc.com/
- Phone: 2023381784
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am – 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday – Saturday: 5:30pm –10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Patrick Orange
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Two private rooms: Terrace/front room seats up to 14 guests, and upstairs/2nd floor seats up to 40 guests. Customized menus available upon request.
- Private Party Contact: Martin Lumet 2023381784
A word from La Chaumiere
La Chaumiere is as close as it gets to dining in a French country inn. Now entering its 37th year, La Chaumiere features traditional dishes like escargots en coquille, boudin blanc, quenelles of pike, cassoulet and Grand Marnier souffle. Chef Patrick's specials reflect a modern approach to seasonal produce, seafood and game with favorites like baked oysters, Dover sole and rabbit. La Chaumiere has won the "100 Best Restaurants" award 29 times since 1978!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
La Chaumiere - Best Restaurants in Georgetown ›
La Chaumiere reviews from OpenTable diners
190 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (118)romantic (111)fit for foodies (94)neighborhood gem (93)notable wine list (58)great for lunch (33)good for groups (14)great for brunch (9)hot spot (4)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (3)vibrant bar scene (2)scenic view (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Good solid French restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/13/2014Nice French restaurant . A little very on the sauces. Probably would give it a four instead of 3+but went to a great one the night before (cafe du parc)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentNYCgrlDined on 6/13/2014It was my first experience here but I will be sure to return. Everything was wonderful. It's like visiting a Cozy French restaurant in France. Delicious! Bravo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super AmazingLoveDined on 6/12/2014I would definitely visit again, this is what I can a 5 star restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Birthday CelebrationSharonKVIPDined on 6/9/2014Our dining experience could not have been better for this special milestone birthday. The waiters were especially attuned to the "birthday girl" and fussed over her all night, which she loved! Thank you La Chaumiere for making it such a great evening!Special Features:
- Get the Trout Almondine!krystinalynneDined on 6/7/2014I ordered the duck because I'm a foodie and had beeb ranting about wanting to try duck for the longest time. The cook was perfect, but the red wine pomegranite sauce took away from the actual duck flavor that I wanted to taste. My friend got the trout almondine (us both not realizing it was a classic French preparation) and it was FANTASTIC. I love fish and would honestly go back to DC just to order and eat that trout! (I'm from NY so that's saying a lot.) It was spectacular, with an almond flavor that really seeped through until the actual fish. Service was great and would definitely be a cute little romantic date spot. Either way, my friend and I enjoyed it and definitely would both recommend it! And that trout!! :)Special Features:
- KDfoodDined on 6/6/2014Excellent meal with nice seasonal meal options. The presentation of the food is well plated and attractive.Special Features:
- RappiTomaDined on 6/6/2014Great food- ambience- really enjoyed- service was efficient without be obtrusive..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodmedvedVIPDined on 6/6/2014La Chaumiere is a favorite, and the kitchen continues to live up to my high expectations. Took a Russian friend who scandalized the server by asking for a streak medium-well, but they did what was asked.Special Features:
- Lovely French RestaurantFLLdinerVIPDined on 6/5/2014La Chaumiere has everything you'd hope to find in a French restaurant. Charming atmosphere and lots of great French standards. We were lucky enough to be there on a Thursday evening when they feature Cassoulet. It was quite authentic and very good. All the others at our table of 4 were equally pleased with their selections. Service was cheeky but good--as you would expect from a French waiter. Will definitely go again.Special Features:
- Expectations fulfilledMorrVIPDined on 6/5/2014Vichyssoise. REAL vichyssoise. Cold and creamy. Quenelles. One of the few restaurants to serve quenelles. Heavenly light and smooth with delicious sauce Nantua. The fruit tarte was perfect. The cream was very light. ( Some pastry chefs make the cream too thick and pasty.) The coffee was real coffee, full-bodied.Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemDedeVIPDined on 5/31/2014We had an excellent meal. hadn't been there in many, many years and we were not disappointed.Special Features:
- PoohDined on 5/31/2014We always love the good food and the excellent service at this Georgetown gem of a restaurant!Special Features:
- Like being in FranceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/30/2014Wonderful and charming French Country restaurant. Ambience is great and food is even better. Highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnniversaryStycksDined on 5/28/2014We wanted somewhere special to enjoy an evening meal on our wedding anniversary. We were not disappointed. The ambience and food were first class and of particular note was our waiter's attention to detail, his attentiveness and his knowledge of the food and wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as it used to be.......live2eatVIPDined on 5/28/2014The service was uneven... the couple at the next table which came after us had entrees before two of us.... The scallops were so thin, it was obvious that it was sliced to increase the portions in appearance only.....
- Exceptional for Special OccasionMaryDined on 5/23/2014La Chaumiere continues to exceed expectations, this time for a special evening out with a family member. High notes? Too many to count, including atmosphere, wait staff, and menu. What to try? Les Escargots, Clams on the Half Shell, Magret de Cannard (Duck), Veal and more. Make sure you sample several wines on the wine list. Recommendations from the attentive waiters are always on target. Dessert? Try the tart and souflee options. Terrific!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our Top ChoicespcdinerVIPDined on 5/21/2014Having been to La Chaumiere a few times now, I can say that I have never been disappointed. In fact, I have been more than pleasantly surprised at the range of menu selections and the quality of the offerings. The atmosphere is quiet and inviting and the wait staff are attentive but not intrusive. La Chaumiere will remain on our go-to list of top DC restaurants.Special Features:
- SuperbRoniDined on 5/17/2014The food and service were excellent. We had to rush for a 7:00 show at the Kennedy Center and the staff helped us tremendously to be able to get out on time. But on my next visit I will not plan such an early show. The place and people are so nice and the meal so delicious that you really want to slow down and take it all in. Thank you La Chaumiere for a wonderful evening.Special Features:
- petit coin de francedutchman1Dined on 5/14/2014just right, quick, good, reasonable and a taste of france. delightful people, almost feel at home.Special Features:
- On the way downGerardDined on 5/13/2014I have been going to La Chaumiere from time to time for the last 15 years. It was one of my favorite restaurants in DC. It's where I took my wife for our first date, so it has a high sentimental value for us. We went last week on our anniversary and were disappointed. The service has become very impersonal, the owner did not say a word to us although he was in the restaurant the whole evening. The waiters did the minimum duty. The menu has not changed in 10 years, including the specials of the day (Dover sole and sweebreads), but the quality has come down significantly. We used to love their profiterolles, but now it a pre-prepared product purchased frozen. Wines are too expensive ($40 for the least expensive and it was hardly drinkable.Special Features:
- jgronerVIPDined on 5/10/2014Had not been to La Chaumiere for years and it still lives up to its reputation as a classic French bistro that cares about food. It's actually not as expensive as many lesser restaurants. They do wonders with fish and vegetables. Had a classic Cotes du Rhone as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming French bistroLov2dineVIPDined on 5/9/2014This is a longtime favorite for those who want an evening in France. Ambiance, food, service transport you back to France for an entire evening. We love dining here and recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Country French it isTheZmanVIPDined on 5/8/2014I wanted to go to La Chaumiere for some time. My desire stemmed from the fact that at every restaurant that I thought might serve calves' brains, the waitstaff would say "You should check out La Chaumiere". I finally did and the calves' brains were excellent. I could not say the same for the charcuterie plate which was just so-so. However, the Grand Marnier souffle also was top flight. I was annoyed that I was not brought the cork for the wine we ordered. The wine was almost off. Sure enough, when the cork was found, the wine had almost penetrated to the top. And my dining companion thought her lamb was average. I would go back for those brains, which I can't get anywhere else, but for French cuisine, there are other better choices.
- Happy CustomerOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/5/2014La Chaumiere is maybe our favorite restaurant in Washington. We never have a bad meal or a bad experience at La Chaumiere. In fact, we have never had a bad course at La Chaumiere. We have been committed and happy customers for years and hope that La Chaumiere remains the same for years to come.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpectacularOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/3/2014The very best and our favorite Highly recommended Never misses with my wifeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A special eveningFrenchieDined on 5/3/2014We were seated in the small dining room, a lovely, quiet place where my husband and I enjoyed visiting with a life-long friend over a delicious dinner. We all agreed that the quenelles were outstanding, as was the trout with almonds. My friend and I ordered the chocolate souffle, an absolutely marvelous dessert! Our waiter was attentive, but did not hover. We spent over $200 at this auberge, and it was worth every dime. We shall return!Special Features:
- 25th AnniversaryWashingtonPorscheDined on 5/3/2014We've dined at most of the great French restaurants in North America and have to rate our first visit to La Chaumiere as a 5-star experience. The meal was exceptional and the souffles the best we've had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Georgetown DinnerCinziaDined on 5/2/2014The food was very good, however, our server was superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding menu and serviceTommersDined on 5/2/2014We had the salmon within puff pastry and it was truly outstanding. I also strongly recommend the charcuterie as an appetizer - it would be appropriate for one or two. The desserts were being prepared while we ate dinner, and included a Grand Marnier souffle and an apple tart, which were both outstanding. The wine list is not gargantuan, but it needn't be. It had a wide range of reds, whites, champagnes, and fortified and we were very pleased with our bottle of French cabernet. A wonderful experience. I know we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- old fashioned FrenchOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/1/2014Romantic room but they've squeezed too many tables together to have private conversations. The food was very predictable French. The fish was fresh but the flavors could have been more exciting. Service was attentive enough but its aggravating when the waiter spills some of the wine every time he pours.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, good atmosphereMangetoutRodneyDined on 4/29/2014La Chaumiere - busy restaurant at Washington end Georgetown M St, packed with professionals. Menu varied, good vegetarian options, cosy setting. Wine list good, white & prosecco sufficiently chilled, ambience warm, food delicious. Coming from UK, I found prices comparable to or cheaper than equivalent restaurants in London, Edinburgh, Glasgow. Washington DC companion thought prices expensive for USA customers, but, worth it - his favourite Washington restaurant. St Jacques, Mussels, Magret de canard all delicious. Caesar Salad, pea soup, tarte de pommes delicious. Decent portions, but not overwhelming. Worth a visit, wise to reserve, two more private areas available for groups. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Perennial FavoriteaustineaterVIPDined on 4/28/2014Just the most intimate, finest French restaurant in the DC area. It doesn't get any better than this!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salt as a major food groupSpotDined on 4/28/2014The appearance if the food was very good, as was the texture. Unfortunately, salt was a very major constituent of all of the dishes. This greatly detracted from the food and made for a clash with the red wine. I really do wish that I could have tasted more of what were supposed to be the real components of the food. Much, much, too salty and this will prevent our returning.
- Good BrasserietruffleVIPDined on 4/28/2014This restaurant takes its diners to France. How many places can you find quenelle on the menu? The food was done well, though the lobster sauce was a tad too salty. The person who served us was a delight, very thoughtful and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Save room for dessertFoodytimeDined on 4/26/2014Great service, great food, but you gotta save room for dessert. The apple tart was off the charts!!! Was there last Saturday for my 1 year anniversary dinner didn't disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fail SafeMangezDined on 4/26/2014You know what you are going to get when you order -- only it's consistently better than you expect. Everything's great--food, wine list, dessert. I don't think there are better trained wait staff anywhere else in the DC area.Special Features:
- French Staple of GeorgetownSurprisedVIPDined on 4/25/2014La Chaumiere is the old school French staple of Georgetown. It seems that not much has changed since they opened, but that's part of what's great. I do have to say though that both my wife and I got specials for our mains and they were great. She had the soft shelled crab and I had the partridge. We coupled those with a split escargot to start and definitely ended up happy.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/19/2014We were looking for authentic French food without the excessive price tag. We found it with La Chaumiere. The venison and scallops were fantastic. Wine selection was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Dining!GlitterDined on 4/19/2014Our evening was highlighted by both the fine cuisine and the exceptional service. The woman who guided our evening by serving our table created an atmosphere of welcome and ease. She extended suggestions, offered her expertise and made us feel as if we were dining in her home. The sweet breads, duck, fish stew and liver were prepared to taste and enjoy. This is definitely a Georgetown gem.Special Features:
- Nice ambienceFoodisgreatDined on 4/19/2014The atmosphere in this restaurant was very nice but I thought the food was a bit more average and did not quite live up to our expectations, given how highly it is rated. The menu felt a bit dated when compared to some of the competitors in the area. But we had a lovely time nonetheless.