Dragonfly Sushi & Sake Co.
201 SE 2nd Ave. Suite #104
Gainesville, FL 32601Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $30 and under
Dragonfly Sushi & Sake Co.
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.dragonflysushi.com/
- Phone: 3523713359
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Thursday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Asian
- Executive Chef: Ray "Hideaki" Leung
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only)
- Catering: Catering For 50 or More?? Contact Us About Having Dragonfly Come To You! Having Dragonfly Cater Your Event Is Fun & Easy! Your Dragonfly Catering Experience Can Include... *Full Sushi Bar *Choice Of Hot/Cold Dishes *Full Bar Accommodations *Full Chef & Serving Staff *Menu Customizing Holiday Parties, Pharm. Rep. Events, Corporate Events, Wedding Receptions, Family Get-Togethers...And Much More!!! Call Us Today So We Can Bring The Dragonfly Experience To You!!
- Private Party Facilities: Our Private Dining Room Can Accommodate Up To 25 Guests Comfortably. The Room Features A 48" LCD TV That Can Be Utilized For Presentations, Slide-Shows, Television Viewing, And Of Course Gator Football Games! Our Room Also Features A Sound Curtain And Beaded Curtain To Ensure Privacy. You May Have Your Guests Order Off The Menu As They Wish, You May Preset A Menu With Us, Or We Can Set Up A Special Wine/Sake Pairing To Really Wow Your Guests!!
- Private Party Contact: Ron Auyong 352-371-3359
- Entertainment: Take the edge off and meet new people while you order drinks from our cocktail waitress. Our newly renovated outside patio is perfect for relaxing as you wait for your table. On select weekends, enjoy local musicians and entertainers. We strive to keep the waiting experience as comforting and unique as possible.
- Cross Street: SE 1st St.
- Public Transit: Centered in the heart of downtown Gainesville, multiple public bus routes drop you off at Dragonfly's doorstep. All local hotel shuttles also make downtown Gainesville a frequent stop. Check with your concierge for special Dragonfly VIP offers.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Worry free parking with our free curbside valet. Yes, FREE VALET for Dragonfly guests.
A word from Dragonfly Sushi & Sake Co.
One of the first Modern Izakaya restaurants, Dragonfly is a sophisticated twist on the traditional Japanese tapas style dining; serving sushi, sashimi, and robatayaki (or grilled foods), with a full sake bar in a relaxed lounge atmosphere. This dining concept centers around the sharing of dishes to stimulate the senses. Balancing elegance and humility, Dragonfly strives to keep in touch with the 3 S's: Sensual, Spiritual & Savory when it comes to their food, service, and ambiance. *We take reservations everyday with the exception of Friday & Saturday evenings*Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Dragonfly Sushi & Sake Co. - Best Restaurants in Gainesville ›
Dragonfly Sushi & Sake Co. reviews from OpenTable diners
21 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (10)neighborhood gem (10)hot spot (10)fit for foodies (9)good for groups (6)romantic (6)vibrant bar scene (5)great for outdoor dining (5)great for lunch (3)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- More creative appetizers &OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/11/2012More creative appetizers & small plates than the average sushi place; that makes for a nice "half sushi, half hot" dinner.Special Features:
- Best sushi ever! And more...OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/27/2012Delicious and creative food - you can get sushi like no other here!! The surf n turf roll is awesome! Friendly prompt service. Lively atmosphere. Can't say enough about how good the food is!!!Special Features:
- Can't go wrong with the wontons!Evelyn21VIPDined on 3/26/2012I always enjoy coming back to Dragonfly. Being in downtown Gainesville gives you a different feel of the town. For starters, our waitress was very friendly and made sure we had everything we needed without making us feel like she was constantly at our table. I've never had anything I didn't like here. We began with the crab wontons - delicious! Since it was just two of us we ordered 3 rolls to share - lava roll, dragon roll and the big boss roll; I recommend all three. It was more than enough food for the both of us. If you get a chance, try their cocktails too. My boyfriend ordered the Pandora's Box (since he wanted something in a manlier glass) and I had the Sake Blossom; both smooth, great taste and pretty light to enjoy with food.Special Features:
- Mediocre sushi, poor service.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/28/2012Mediocre sushi, poor service. The air was damp and heavy. Waiter was rude and aggressive. Place is small, tables too close to each other, and they make more people sit at a table than its capacity. Service was sluggish too. Table wasn't ready when we got there although we had made reservations. It was over priced too. Wine glasses were stinky. Don't waste your money here.
- Ryan was great, the food wasOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/27/2012Ryan was great, the food was fantastic (as usual). The restaurant was just a little loud, but it didn't really detract from the experience.Special Features:
- Not impressed!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/21/2012The sushi was much too Americanized. All of the rolls were filled with mayo, cream cheese or spicy sauce, all of which totally ruin sushi! Not impressed. Their Nigiri was good but nothing special. The one good thing was the service - our server was very friendly and attentive. I definitely don't see what all the fuss is over. I've had much better sushi at many other places. I wouldn't go back.
- Not your Typical SushiOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/19/2012Interesting, creative sushi fare--definitely not typical. Visited several times now with good experience each time. Ambiance could be changed up a little.Special Features:
- I went to Dragonfly for myOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/8/2012I went to Dragonfly for my birthday celebration, and not only did I have great food, but I also had great service. Our waitress was attentive during our sitting, and very smart about how she served us. A friend of mine planned to get me a cake (completely beyond my knowledge) at dinner time. I planned to order red bean ice cream which posed a problem because my friend had already ordered my cake, but she averted the situation by saying they ran out, giving me alternatives to go to Mochi. I completely believed her and I thought we were just going to take the check and leave. Suddenly, she comes out with a cake and tells me she was just kidding about the red bean ice cream, but "here's a cake for your birthday!" We gave her a hefty tip.Special Features:
- By far one of the best restaurantsNeurobladeVIPDined on 1/26/2012By far one of the best restaurants in Gainesville.Special Features:
- Get your credit card back promptlyGeorgeVIPDined on 1/24/2012The food is outstanding, especially for a small backward town like Gainesville, FL. The prices are moderate, as is required of a restaurant in a college town like Gainesville. Thus, the place is always packed and the service(mainly by college kids)is not up to par - - for example, my credit card was not returned to me promptly after paying the bill and I learned that this has happened to many other people. I don't know if this is a scam by the college kids wait-staff, but, it is annoying and can result in people leaving the restaurant without their credit card. The management was notified about this but showed little interest in addressing the problem.Special Features:
- Great Food, Ambiance & StaffOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/24/2011Service was excellent. The crab rangoon is a must! Best sushi in Gainesville.Special Features:
- I have been going to DragonflyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/7/2011I have been going to Dragonfly at least twice a month since it opened many years ago and I have never once had bad service or bad food. It is amazing. And the one in Orlando is even better. I recommend it to everyone.Special Features:
- Nice change of paceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/18/2011Well done and some innovative dishes as well. Tasty and more of the nouveau sushi fry it and add sweet sauces than traditional or going for subtlety in flavor, texture etc.Special Features:
- I had an absolutely wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/1/2011I had an absolutely wonderful experience there. You must try the dragon roll, it is fantastic. The restaurant is a little "loud," but the food and service make up for it.Special Features:
- It provides a unique diningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/29/2011It provides a unique dining experience. The food is very well executed and the sushi is modern but not pretentious. The tempura banana is amazing. They offer local beers (swamphead is my favorite) and a wide range of sake martinis (which my girlfriend loves). It is very busy and a reservation is helpful.Special Features:
- Had a wonderful time. FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/21/2011Had a wonderful time. Food was excellent and service was great. Looking forward to my next visit.Special Features:
- Interesting style of service.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/12/2011Interesting style of service. Portions were generous. Fun for a group.Special Features:
- Exceptional Food!BusinessTravelerDined on 5/8/2011Dragonfly is our favorite resturant and has been for many years now. They are exceptional at everything they do with their food, and everyone should go here to eat.Special Features:
- Enjoyed it, however was disappointeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/24/2011Enjoyed it, however was disappointed with the ribs.Special Features:
- One of the best meals we haveOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/14/2011One of the best meals we have had, expecially on Valentine's Day. The food was creative, thoughtfully prepared, artistically presented, and combined tastes and textures that were awesome through each of the six courses. Ryan did a great job describing, presenting, and serving.Special Features:
- Best sushi in town!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/9/2011Dragonfly sets the standard and is one of the best overall restaurants in Gainesville. If you love sushi, this is THE place to go. Mind you, get there early or make a reservation. Although it is pricy, it is well worth it. I don't know how the college crowd affords it though - but they are always there in droves!Special Features:
- We had a wonderful anniversaryRevJimDined on 2/7/2011We had a wonderful anniversary meal. Excellent food, excellent service, excellent all the way around. We'll be back often.Special Features:
- DELICIOUS AS ALWAYS!!! I makeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/16/2011DELICIOUS AS ALWAYS!!! I make it a point to eat here everytime I am in town. Hands down Dragonfly is my favorite sushi spot!Special Features:
- I can sum up in one word,OnTheRoadAgainVIPDined on 1/16/2011I can sum up in one word, incredible. We tasted many dishes. Sushi was fresh and there were many unique choices. Excellent Japanese sake choices. We had 2 that were very different and both excellent. The waiter was extremely helpful with making suggestions for us. We ended our meal with deep fried ice cream and also deep fried bananas. Not like other fried ice cream desserts, vanilla ice cream wrapped in pound cake then dipped in tempura batter and deep fried. I highly recommend visiting this restaurant.Special Features:
- Dragonfly Sushi is my veryOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/14/2010Dragonfly Sushi is my very favorite restaurant. Everything they do is high quality and uniquely delicious. Eat there and eat there often. Don't miss the wontons because eating them will change your life.Special Features:
- My wife had seen the restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/13/2010My wife had seen the restaurant on a trip through town, and since my sister was visiting, really wanted to check the place out. It turned out to be a great dining experience. The food was well priced and the sushi was delicious. I recommend this place to anybody that wants a fun place to hang out and have some fun in a cool laid back atmosphere. We'll definatly be back!Special Features:
- The sushi is still great.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/28/2010The sushi is still great. Glad I came back to visit.Special Features:
- I like the online reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/27/2010I like the online reservation technique that DragonFly has. I was seated immediately when I arrived. I had fun overall and enjoyed my food. I need you guys to stock up on the yellowtail because that was delicious.Special Features:
- Our service was excellent.LynnVIPDined on 9/5/2010Our service was excellent. Our server was very attentive but totally nointrusive. The food was fabulous. I had the Korean Short Ribs with Kim Chee. I savored every bite. My family and friend had all kinds of sushi and sashimi, and they loved it. The Bear Boat Pinot Noir we ordered for the table was exceptional. Overall a delightful dining experience.Special Features:
- Dining was good. However,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/28/2010Dining was good. However, we order three glasses of "house wine" chardonney and the waiter did not tell us that there was not "house wine". When we got our bill, we realized the each glass of white wine was USD10. That is a tremendous high price for a glass of an O.K. white wine. Normally, a glass of O.K. white wine rounds 6 bucks.Special Features:
- The food was excellent andOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/8/2010The food was excellent and the service couldn't have been better! Another enjoyable evening thanks to our favorite restaurant in Gainesville!Special Features:
- My party and I enjoyed ourselvesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/20/2010My party and I enjoyed ourselves very much. The food was extremely fresh and delicious and presentation was fit for a king. Our waiter was super attentive. Best service I have ever had at any Japanese restaurant. We received a complimentary appetizer, food was served promptly and we were never short on any beverage. The waiter put together a toddler-friendly appetizer for my niece and brougt out a high chair the minute we go to the restaurant.. Everything was very good but I highly recommend the cerviche and the summer rolls.Special Features:
- Everything ala carte, shouldOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/13/2010Everything ala carte, should offer full meals (Soup, salad, entree), needs Oriental servers, service was lacking.Special Features:
- I live in Orlando so I wasOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/16/2010I live in Orlando so I was curious about Dragonfly as one is opening here soon... Everything was wonderful, can't wait til the one here opens up!!Special Features:
- Of 3 dinners, two were prettyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/9/2010Of 3 dinners, two were pretty good but sushi was only average. We were all very disappointed in the ambiance and somewhat disappointed in the food. Tables and curtain to divide banquet room were not very clean. Hostess was dressed in highly inappropriate attire, more suitable for a motorcycle hangout.
- Experience was good. However,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/19/2010Experience was good. However, I was anticipating a differenct atmosphere. Food was very good. Service was great. Just louder than I thought it would be.Special Features:
- One of the best restaurantsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/21/2010One of the best restaurants in Gainesville, excellent food and service. A little pricey but worth every penny.Special Features:
- This is one more favoriateOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/28/2010This is one more favoriate places to visit while in Gainesville!!!!! LOVE IT!Special Features: