Greenhouse at the Jefferson Hotel Washington DC
1200 16th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20036Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Greenhouse at the Jefferson Hotel Washington DC
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.jeffersondc.com/restaurant-dining/index.cfm
- Phone: 2024482300x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday 7am to 10am;
Lunch: Monday - Friday 11am to 2pm
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 7am to 1:30pm.
Afternoon tea: Available reservations on Saturday and Sunday between 2pm and 2:30pm.
Walk-ins are not accepted for full tea service. Reservations made for a same day seating must be placed before noon. Walk-ins will be offered tea and daily Chef’s pastry assortment. Please indicate any dietary restriction at the time of reservation.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, High Tea, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Private Cellar, inspired by Jefferson’s passion for wine, will be the hotel’s private dining room, and its walls will be lined with wine display cabinets and private wine lockers. Beneath a soaring, plaster groin-vaulted ceiling, guests will have the opportunity to sample the culinary talents of our culinary team complemented by wines from the hotel’s impressive selection of more than 1,000 labels. A dumbwaiter, fashioned after Jefferson’s own at Monticello, will deliver vintages from the cellar to the table. At 297 square feet, the Private Cellar will accommodate 18.
- Private Party Contact: Meagan Stroud 2024483253x
- Special Events: Afternoon Tea takes place in the Greenhouse. Advanced reservations are required. Credit card is required to guarantee all reservations. Reservations cancelled within 24 hours will be charged $39 per person cancellation fee.
A word from Greenhouse at the Jefferson Hotel Washington DC
Washington power breakfasts and express lunches are served under The Jefferson’s historic skylight. Natural light streams in from above, creating an informal, airy setting for daytime meals that perfectly complements the light, fresh and energizing fare on our menus.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Greenhouse at the Jefferson Hotel Washington DC - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Greenhouse at the Jefferson Hotel Washington DC reviews from OpenTable diners
31 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (16)romantic (14)great for lunch (14)great for brunch (10)fit for foodies (8)good for groups (4)neighborhood gem (4)hot spot (2)notable wine list (2)vibrant bar scene (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- The worst ever!JeanaVIPDined on 7/7/2013My boyfriend and I love to try new places. Usually these places are upscale. I read reviews on this place and one thing that stood ot was the bad service. However, we decided to try it regardless. Well, lesson learned. Next time I will believe folks' reviews. Tge service was horrible. Food wasn't the best either. It took at least 15 min to bring a basket of pastries. You would think they were baking fresh pastries. Nope. They weren't that fresh either. You would expect a great service at a hotel like Jefferson's. Bottom line. Will NEVER EVER go back there again.
- Lovely!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/30/2013Its a beautifull quite greenhouse at the hotel. Great service good food. Not a "happening" place, it more of a place you would take you mom.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always wonderful!4dcdiningDined on 6/23/2013The Greenhouse at The Jefferson Hotel is always perfect for breakfast, brunch and lunch, whether business or celebrating a special occasion. Been going to The Jefferson for more than 40 years and it never disappoints.Special Features:
- Tea treatsAfternoonTeaforMeDined on 6/22/2013Best spot for tea in DC--quiet and elegant, truly a posh experience. Thanks to the attentive staff as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I took my mom for a surpriseBrunchdinerDined on 6/22/2013I took my mom for a surprise brunch and between the ambience impeccable Service and great good she was so happy and made for a memorable birthdaySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The perfect gift for peopleReviewerVIPDined on 6/2/2013The perfect gift for people who have everything. The Greenhouse has an elegant Sunday brunch-a great place to go for a special treat. I had the lobster benedict-totally amazing. The service is equal to the elegance of the restaurant and the quality of the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful venue overwhelmed by stafFancyTeaLadiesDined on 6/1/2013We dined at the Greenhouse for afternoon tea. The venue itself is beautiful and the ambiance overall very nice, although it is very small. There seems to be an excessive amount of wait staff people for the size of the venue and therefore was quite awkward when wait staff would be just hanging around our table (although I should say that there were relatively few people dining so it could have just been that they were bored). At times, there were 3 people standing near our table just looking at us and were coming over every other minute to fill up water glasses. While the people were very friendly, I think that at a place that appears to pride itself on being charming and classy should better train staff to be sensitive to these matters.
- Food left a little to be desiredbcole72Dined on 5/29/2013Serrano ham appetizer, while pricey, was absolutely delicious. I think my guest had an ok salmon lunch entree. My lamb shank was hard as a rock. If I had more time that day, I would have sent it back.
- Lovely Afternoon Tea ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/26/2013The Greenhouse has a very elegant decor that fits perfectly with all the silver teapots, finger sandwiches, scones and pastries. The sandwiches are tasty--though not out of this world--and the scones fresh and warm. The default offering for the scones seems to be double whipped cream, and I had to insist on getting clotted cream. I thought that was a little strange.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere, deliciousHollyDined on 5/22/2013Great atmosphere, delicious food. Overall very enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Washington TreatBertiVIPDined on 5/19/2013My family and I had brunch at the Greenhouse and it was spectacular in every way. Their original twists on the standard brunch fare were innovative and delicious. The service was seamless yet friendly and the ambience was exquisite - luxurious and dignified without being rarefied or off putting. We all enjoyed our meals and time there immensely and look forward to returning on our next visit to DC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I took my mother to Mother'sNomNominDCVIPDined on 5/12/2013I took my mother to Mother's Day brunch here and it was fantastic. When we were seated a plate of fresh fruit, a basket of mixed pastries, a small smoothie and shrimp cocktail were brought to the table. Everything was perfectly ripe, well balanced, tasty, and/or perfectly buttery and flaky (as appropriate). This bountiful spread was followed by an appetizer (smoked salmon for my mom and roasted tomato soup with grilled cheese and bacon finger sandwiches = both excellent) and an entree (we both had the crab cake Benedict = YUM). A lovely spread of desserts followed (donut holes, mini cakes/tarts, chocolates) -- all excellent. Also, you can't beat the decor and service of the place -- classically elegant, soothing and impeccable service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French BistroTaxGirlVIPDined on 5/6/2013The Greenhouse has the feel of an outdoor bistro, but is set indoors in a lovely environment. It is great to go there on a rainy day and feel like you are at a beautiful outdoor garden. The food is excellent,the service attentive without hovering, and the noise level low enough to carry on a conversation without having to raise your voice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best Place for LumchIrabetsyVIPDined on 5/3/2013Everything is perfection and since I have only been for lunch I speak to that.Special Features:
- It is a lovely venue for afternoonNan1Dined on 4/28/2013It is a lovely venue for afternoon tea. The food and the service were great.Special Features:
- Wine List is excellent!mhk2Dined on 4/28/2013Excellent wine list - One of the best in DC. Great brunch!Special Features:
- The food was good, standardOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/7/2013The food was good, standard brunch fare, but the service was horrible!! The waiters gave us major attitude for asking for anything, and when the bill came they were very rude about splitting. Somehow, my friend ended up being charged $4 more than she was supposed to but rather than deal with the wait staff, who were EXTREMELY slow, she just ate the charge. When I got home and checked my online bank statement, turns out I had been charged more than the amount on my check too!! Oh, and it was my birthday so they brought out a slice of cake as a surprise. The surprise was on us when we had been charged for an item we didn't order!Special Features:
- Washington Extra SpecialLisamjDined on 3/31/2013A truly great Washington experience! The hotel is beautiful and each thing we ate was better than the last. We had the pric fixe Easter Brunch and it made the holiday a truly special day. The service was not only top not h but all the staff were open & warm and charming. No stuffiness at all. They anticipated needs before you asked. WonderfulSpecial Features:
- We went for Afternoon TeaTomorrowDined on 3/24/2013We went for Afternoon Tea and Karen was most helpful. Her advice was valued. The only downside was the bread on the savories. It was stale. However, the sweets and the tea were perfect. Overall, a great experience.Special Features:
- My absolute favorite placeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/24/2013My absolute favorite place for brunch. Everything is just perfect, consistently. So glad the croque madame is back on the menu.Special Features:
- SereneOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/23/2013A beautiful place for brunch, food is decent but service and atmosphere are outstanding.Special Features:
- Wanna feel special?OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/17/2013I knew we were in for royal treatment when a small ottoman was brought to our table for my purse upon arrival. It was a fair sign of what was to come; impeccable service and wonderful food. My egg white omelette with wilted spinach & shaved ham was served with a seasoned , roasted Roma tomato half- Beautiful presentation and oh so tasty! ( also was accompanied by potatoes & rye toast)Staff was attentive but not the slightest bit intrusive and kept a good watch on our coffee, refilling our silver pots multiple times. Special place, leaving guests feeling quite specially treated!Special Features:
- Had a mixed experience hereLuncherVIPDined on 3/13/2013Had a mixed experience here at lunch. The setting is beautiful and the first course roasted tomato soup with mini grilled cheese was truly delicious. On the down side, we had to ask the waiter what the specials were, and he didn't take drink orders right away. Also, two of us ordered the lobster roll and that was a disappointment. There was way too much bread, and not enough flavor in the lobster. I will go back but expected better.Special Features:
- Charming and relaxing treatDinerinGtownVIPDined on 3/10/2013The atmosphere of the Greenhouse at the Jefferson is simply wonderful. It's perfect for a ladies brunch, treating your mom, or a romantic and relaxing date with your significant other. The only reason I don't make this a regular place to visit is the high prices.Special Features:
- Amazing gem in DC. GorgeousOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/24/2013Amazing gem in DC. Gorgeous and delicious. A wonderful escape if even for brunch.Special Features:
- I had a wonderful experienceDinerinGtownVIPDined on 1/20/2013I had a wonderful experience with a group of 5 girlfriends. This would be a perfect place for ladies brunch or Mother's Day. But it would also be lovely for couples too. The staff was great—very professional. We really felt like we were being taken care of.Special Features:
- Great place for a quiet businessOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 1/16/2013Great place for a quiet business lunch - easy and affordable valet parking, respectful and efficient service, great food.Special Features:
- Our first visit to GreenhouseOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/5/2013Our first visit to Greenhouse at The Jefferson. We received a gift card for Christmas. The food and drinks we ordered were all the best they could be, delicious, beautiful. We felt special, waiters and hostesses all very attentive. Elegant, yet relaxed, atmosphere.Special Features:
- If you're a guest in the hotel,SanchoPanzaJrVIPDined on 12/31/2012If you're a guest in the hotel, really the only option in the area for breakfast. Food was good but of course overpriced for breakfast. We were the only two people in dining room throughout our breakfast.
- Great place for brunch forOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 12/30/2012Great place for brunch for a large or small group.Special Features:
- The ambiance was very niceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/26/2012The ambiance was very nice and the service fantastic but I expected better food for the high price you pay.
- Lovely! This place is theBedaVIPDined on 12/24/2012Lovely! This place is the best for giving folks a taste of the highlife without any disappointment on quality, taste, or service.Special Features:
- The Jefferson is a beautifulroseDined on 12/22/2012The Jefferson is a beautiful hotel and the greenhouse was very elegant. Unfortunately the afternoon tea service was terrible. The 3(!) tea sandwiches were okay, the scones were okay, the pastries were awful. We didn't even bother with most of the pastries as they looked like an after thought of someone trying to come up with something in a home kitchen! For the high price of the tea, the food did not deliver and left us feeling like we were being taken advantage of. The service was great, the waiters pleasant. I just wish they would not offer afternoon tea or visit the Tysons Ritz and the Willard and come up with a decent service.Special Features:
- A beautiful holiday tea.....OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/16/2012Absolutely stunning room for tea--- beautiful and perfect!! I did not think the service was five star but the beauty of the room and tabl makes up for it! The food is okay - not over the top--- and they don't replenish sandwiches or serve them- they just plop them on table . The scones and creme to go with them were average- not perfect... They also took a long time to bring tea.... Also, during prime Xmas season- I was surprised there was no live music for tea- like a string quartet or a harpist or piano player. The decorations and flowers were beautiful.. The designers and table setters and florists are fabulous- the servers and food could be worked on for such a lovely setting .Special Features:
- Quiet place for lunchRandomReviewerVIPDined on 12/11/2012When you need a quiet place for lunch, this is a terrific option. The roasted root vegetables (a side dish) were delicious on a December afternoon, but one that wasn't too chilly for my friends to choose and enjoy salads. I opted for the butternut squash ravioli, and compared to the numerous other variations I've had at other restaurants in the area, I'd put it in my top three... maybe two. Great place for a business lunch, but perhaps a little stuffy for a casual catch-up lunch between friends.Special Features:
- Not what we expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/9/2012My daughter and I went for Christmas Tea and we were a little disappointed. We have gone to other locations for tea and found it to be much better for the price. We also expected it to be decorated more for the holidays with it being a Christmas Tea.
- We ate lunch there with anotherSandiDined on 12/4/2012We ate lunch there with another couple recently and were very pleased. The food, ambiance, and service made for a very special event. We chose the place because we wanted an elegant, quiet atmosphere and were not disappointed.Special Features:
- The Jefferson does everythingOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 12/2/2012The Jefferson does everything with impecable taste. Brunch is no exception. I went with a good friend and we were taken care of by a well-trained staff, the food was very fresh and well-prepared, and the ambience is one of the finest in DC. I'll definitely return!Special Features:
- Excekkent brunch! I love theJulesDined on 12/2/2012Excekkent brunch! I love the decoration and the ambiance. The food is awesome.Special Features:
- A rated!HjohnsDined on 11/25/2012This was my first dining experience at the Greenhouse at the Jefferson Hotel. Very impressive. Good fair, excellent ambiance and superior service. I look forward to my next dining experience there.Special Features: