Equinox - DC
818 Connecticut Ave
Washington, DC 20006Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Equinox - DC
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.equinoxrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2023318118
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm -10:30pm
Please note that Equinox will be closed the following Sundays in August: 8/19, 8/26. We will also be closed the first Sunday in September, 9/2.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Todd Gray
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering: Equinox offers catering for all types of events.
- Private Party Facilities: Equinox can provide an artfully designed and relaxed environment for you to host your next function for parties of 12 or more.
- Private Party Contact: Ellen Kassoff Gray/Chelsea Zinkgraf 2023318118
- Special Events: Please call Ellen Kassoff Gray or Chelsea Zinkgraf at 202.331.8118 for more details or email us at email@example.com.
A word from Equinox - DC
Please come join Todd & Ellen Gray and the Equinox staff to delight in some of the seasons best flavors from the mid-atlantic region.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Equinox - DC reviews from OpenTable diners
173 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (105)special occasion (81)romantic (44)notable wine list (37)great for lunch (34)neighborhood gem (33)great for outdoor dining (33)great for brunch (16)good for groups (16)hot spot (11)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (5)scenic view (5)Show More
- I was seated at a table underWilliamVIPDined on 5/7/2008I was seated at a table under a noisy air conditioning unit with a cyclonic-like downdraft. The smoked salmon salad I ordered was almost inedible is was so salty and unappealing, shocking for a restaurant with a top notch reputation.
- This was our first diningOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/4/2008This was our first dining experience at Equinox. We were greeted warmly and assured that we would have plenty of time to enjoy dinner and get to our event at the Kennedy Center. Service was prompt and professional. The food was the highest quality, although I was a little disappointed that the only dish that included morel (sp?) mushrooms used mushrooms from the west coast instead of local morels... The details of the presentation of the food were flawless and the wine selection offered a variety of selections to compliment our entrees. We will definitely dine at Equinox again and wouldn't hesitate to offer our highest personal recommendation.Special Features:
- Overall worthile; obviouslyOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/3/2008Overall worthile; obviously creative and talented, execution needs improvements at times, e.g. unbalanced tastes; waiter made careless mistakes but quite attentive.Special Features:
- We sat outside as it was aOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/2/2008We sat outside as it was a lovely night, but I don't think the restaurant is well equipped to serve patrons who sit outside as service took ages! I ordered the vegetarian tasting menu and the waiter just put each dish down without any explanation on what he was serving me. The service was disappointing.Special Features:
- We ate outside. It was aOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/2/2008We ate outside. It was a very enjoyable evening. We would definitely go back.Special Features:
- As I was there for lunch in35LibertyStreetVIPDined on 5/1/2008As I was there for lunch in the glassed in section, the noise was more subdued than at dinner.Special Features:
- Hostess graciously accommodatedOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/26/2008Hostess graciously accommodated my party's request to move from a table directly under an air vent. However, server was less impressive. Not very attentive, didn't do a good job of describing dishes when they arrived to the table -- we ordered tasting menu so this would have been especially helpful/enjoyable. Overall, though, very positive experience, excellent food.Special Features:
- Very gracious, knowledgeable,OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 4/26/2008Very gracious, knowledgeable, professional staff. Excellent, interesting food.Special Features:
- Service was far below theOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/25/2008Service was far below the standard you would expect of a restaurant with their reputation. [We had to get up and pour our own wine.] The flavors were not as distinct in a number of dishes that should have been more up front. They served our party of 5 just four of our desserts, saying that the last one had to be remade. I'm sorry, but we of course waited for the last dessert to arrive, leaving our other 4 on the table. Poor, poor table management. I would not recommend Equinox.Special Features:
- I had chosen Equinox as aOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/24/2008I had chosen Equinox as a special Washington experience for an out of town guest. Although our individual dishes were good, service was subpar. I had anticipated a much more extensive wine list. The server tossed our dishes at us. Our waiter was nice but began at our 7:30 arrival to tell us what the kitchen was running out of. Atrium was hot and very brightly lit. I had expected a much better experience all the way around. Love Open Table however!Special Features:
- We had a five course dinner,OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/24/2008We had a five course dinner, with a wine pairing for each course. The waiter gave a brief overview of each course and the name of the wine. Since we are wine folk, we would have preferred a small description of each wine either on the menu, or from the server (i.e. this is a 2004 Chardonnay, with vanilla notes, or this is a 2006 Pinot Noir with lots of body and notes of currant, etc.). Overall, the experience was wonderful and we liked how the chef plated each course and mixed the flavors well in each dish. Lastly, we like how the market menu comes from local hydroponic farmers. We like our local economy and the freshness of the ingredients.Special Features:
- Food was outstanding, theEnjoyfoodVIPDined on 4/23/2008Food was outstanding, the complementary soup starter was very good. Unfortunately, the service was very slow and it wasn't overly busy.Special Features:
- Equinox is a top restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/22/2008Equinox is a top restaurant in DC and it did not disappoint. The lunch menu, however, is not as interesting as the dinner menu, so our options were somewhat limited. But good, as always.Special Features:
- Equinox was outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 4/21/2008Equinox was outstanding! Food was delicous, service was fantastic, restaurnat was beautiful!Special Features:
- The food was good, but notOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/20/2008The food was good, but not good enough to justify the price. I thought that the menu had a lot of repetition, i.e. garlic in everything, using potatoes as the primary starch, but that other details, such as pork in the lamb dish, should have been included. The chicken consomme for the matzo ball soup was weak. The herb-encrusted lamb was simply cut in half, and it wasn't super tender. It would have been much nicer, both in looks and taste, if it were sliced into five thin pieces. Other restaurants in the area, such as Palena, serve similar food that is more intensely flavored and interesting.Special Features:
- Overall I found Equinox toOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/19/2008Overall I found Equinox to be good but not great. For the amount of money that you will be spending on the meal, especially if you are having drinks, then I would not recommend this restaurant. The food was good but the overall value was just not there.Special Features:
- Excellent in all respects:OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/18/2008Excellent in all respects: food ambiance, service..Special Features:
- We noticed that other tablesMaxheadroomVIPDined on 4/18/2008We noticed that other tables had received a complimentary offering from the chef after a few moments of being seated. We had been seated for quite a while and were in fact finishing our cocktails. When this was brought to their attention the server informed the maitre'de and he not only apologized but asked to serve proseco on the house. The "right" thing to doSpecial Features:
- I had not been to EquinoxOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 4/17/2008I had not been to Equinox in years and had forgotten how wonderful the food is and our server was excellent.Special Features:
- The service was incrediblyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/17/2008The service was incredibly slow for our table, but other tables moved quicker so it may have been a one time thing.Special Features:
- We were disappointed by theOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 4/15/2008We were disappointed by the quality of the food - for $30-$40 entrees, I expect well-cooked, unique, and innovative cuisine. Instead both of our meals were bland and uninteresting, and my fish was dry. We have had much better seafood at low and mid-range restaurants. We do not plan to return.
- Had dinner at Equinox withdocmarcdocVIPDined on 4/12/2008Had dinner at Equinox with my wife and daughter. My entree was good, my wife loved hers. Desserts were dissapointing (although they looked great)... they took my wife's off the check. The Maitre D was very attentive, he noticed my wife didn't like her dessert (we didn't complain about it) and after asking if she had liked it he took it off the check. Nice selection of wines and sparklings by the glass. Service I thought was very good until they showed up with the check before I asked for it... in my opinion that should not happen in a fine restaurant.Special Features:
- We ate here for the firstOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/11/2008We ate here for the first time recently. We chose to eat outside, as it was a beautiful night. while the outdoor seating wasn't particularly scenic, we had a great experience anyway and found the outdoor setting to be comfortable. We ordered the tasting menus with wine pairings and found the food and wines to be excellent in addition to the service. We definitely enjoyed and will go back again.
- Our server ruined an otherwiseOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/11/2008Our server ruined an otherwise good meal. He was condescending and pretentious and unwilling to answer questions with anything other than terse responses. It was difficult to get his attention as he would make a point of avoiding eye contact when nearby.
- Although I am not myself aOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/9/2008Although I am not myself a vegetarian, I look for high quality dining experiences to which I can invite my vegetarian friends. Equinox's vegetarian tasting menu -- from which my party chose items a la carte -- was an enjoyable and welcome change of pace from the usual dull veg fare. A menu worthy of Equinox's well-earned reputation. We'll be back soon!Special Features:
- Equinox is my FAVORITE restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 4/9/2008Equinox is my FAVORITE restaurant. Everyone wants to make sure that your dining experience is the best!!! I am very partial to this establishment. Todd, Ellen, Randy and Ed are the best at what they do. Perfection is in the air.Special Features:
- Great food great locationOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/9/2008Great food great location but $19 for chicken salad seemed a bit steep. Also, pouring mineral water without asking if we want any was a bit presumtuous.Special Features:
- Fabulous tasting menu. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/5/2008Fabulous tasting menu. The servers were knowledgable about both food and wine, and willing to work with us to create our ideal menu. A wonderful experience! We will be back.Special Features:
- The service and food wereOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/3/2008The service and food were wonderful. I liked that Todd Gray came out and greeted each of the guests before they left. Definitely did not feel rushed or unwelcome.Special Features:
- The dining experience wasOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/3/2008The dining experience was perfect, quiet, comfortable, great service.
- the only downside was theSharonDined on 3/29/2008the only downside was the main course of the tasting menu which was veal. It was extrememly tough which is very unusual. Our waiter was wonderful w/ many good suggestions and knowledgeable about the wine pairings. Good overall experience.Special Features:
- There was a live bug on ourMikeDined on 3/29/2008There was a live bug on our table !! When my wife questioned the waiter about it he sloughed it off saying it wasn't a big deal -- but it was. A live bug crawling around on the table should not be sloughed off so lightly and indeed I'd expect to have someone other than the waiter come over, make apologies and amends, but that didn't happen. My wife was taken aback again when nothing was taken of the bill. She got to enjoy her sister's birthday meal at Equinox with bugs for full price -- not a great dining experience and something I'm considering writing the Washington Post food critic about. Please send this feedback to the restaurantSpecial Features:
- Every aspect of this experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/26/2008Every aspect of this experience was divine. We were seated in the enclosed outdoor area, with a wonderful view of the street scene. Our before dinner cocktails were made perfectly. The service was impeccable. The menu offered a such a nice variety of interesting and creative choices and we had a hard time chosing. There were many healthy but extremely tasty choice available. My dinner companion loved the shad roe. We shared the risotto fritters which were wonderful. I would return just for those!! I had a squid ink seafood pasta which was prepared beatifully and had a wonderful sauce. I plan to return with a very significant client in a few weeks to try out the tasting menu and wine pairings.Special Features:
- Todd Gray keeps a short, seasonal-fDCDinerVIPDined on 3/25/2008Todd Gray keeps a short, seasonal-focused, ever changing menu. The tasting menu is always adventurous. I use as a regular spot to entertain business guests for something a little different in the White House area, but I seldom use for personal entertaining.Special Features:
- We truly enjoyed the diningDeborahDined on 3/22/2008We truly enjoyed the dining experience..lovely setting, great food etc. The only negative of the evening was finding a small bug in my drink. When we brought it to the waiter's attention, he looked at us and took the drink away. He did bring a replacement drink ( without asking if that was what we wanted) but never apologized or said anything at all.Special Features:
- I asked for a quiet cornerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/21/2008I asked for a quiet corner in the restaurant if possible, and the staff seated us in a separate room that was perfect. Great service, good food and wine and the ability to have quiet conversation during dinner made for a great experience. Would definitely to to Equinox again.Special Features:
- I was a little disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 3/20/2008I was a little disappointed with the food, as I had heard nothing but rave reviews. I would consider going back and ordering another dish.Special Features:
- Service seemed to rush usOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/17/2008Service seemed to rush us through the whole dining experience. In his defense, I believe the waiter was attempting to get our order in prior to a fairly large group that he was also dining there that evening. I really enjoyed a great chocolate martini after dinner! The decor was lovely.Special Features:
- Food was nice but not outstanding.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/16/2008Food was nice but not outstanding. The accompanying vegetables were flat and not particularly interesting. The caramelized cauliflower was a flap: undercooked and the raisins did not smoothened the lack of flavor.Special Features:
- It was a very good experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/15/2008It was a very good experience. The food was very good, although it was an early experience at a nice place for the both of us. The waiter was very patient and understanding even when we pronounced menu items incorrectly. The special taste from the chef was outstanding! It was a "first special date" and it was the perfect place if that is what you are looking for. Very easy parking and everyone was friendly. I would avoid the tables in the center and look for a table near a window. Nice and quiet if that is what you need. Worked for me!Special Features: