Brandy Ho's Hunan Food
217 Columbus Ave.
San Francisco, CA 94133Neighborhood:
ChinesePrice: $30 and under
Brandy Ho's Hunan Food
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.brandyhos.com/
- Phone: 4157887527
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday: 3:00pm - 12:00am, Saturday: 6:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 6:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Asian, Chinese
- Executive Chef: Zedgwick Ho
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Delivery is available 11am - 10pm everyday to neighborhood offices, hotel rooms or homes. Please check the menu at www.brandyhos.com. Minimum $10 order for delivery. Catering is also available from 1 to 300 guests.
- Private Party Facilities: The upper floor is available for private parties and it can accommodate up to 70 guests.
A word from Brandy Ho's Hunan Food
Serving San Francisco since 1980, Brandy Ho's restaurant is one of the most popular landmarks on the San Francisco dining scene. Acclaimed by numerous Bay Area food critics, it has also been hailed by publications around the world as a "must visit" when in San Francisco. The food at Brandy Ho's is prepared with only the freshest ingredients, using a minimum of oil and sugar. Absolutely no MSG, artificial chemicals or flavor enhancers are used. The cooking at Brandy Ho's is based on the peasant style found in the Hunan region of China. The distinctive dishes are authentically hot and spicy, using traditional Hunan spices and lots of garlic. Brandy Ho's offers a wide selection of tasty hot and spicy vegetarian dishes. To please every palate, any meat or vegetarian dish can be ordered as mild as you like, or not hot at all.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Brandy Ho's Hunan Food reviews from OpenTable diners
3 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance2.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Don't botherLDSDiningVIPDined on 10/6/2011Area a bit "seedy" - "Historic" relevance no longer significance and dated. Restaurant substantially empty.
- The food is always excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/22/2011The food is always excellent at Brandy Ho's! I would recommend this location to anyone wanting a San Francisco experience.Special Features:
- We were four adults, a 4 yearBernDined on 9/5/2011We were four adults, a 4 year old and a one year old in search of a convenient place for an early Chinese meal. brandy ho's fit the bill. he staff was friendly and attentatiVe. Service was rid. The food was good but not great. It fit our needs.Special Features:
- Not really impressed withOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/26/2011Not really impressed with the restaurant. It was our first time and we will probably not go again...Special Features:
- Great if you like spicy hunansfforeverVIPDined on 8/21/2011Great if you like spicy hunan food. Very fresh. All is cooked to order, with whatever level of spiciness you request. Steamed vegetarian dumplings are a must. And try the "three delicacies" special. AWESOME.
- Sunday evening dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/7/2011The food was wonderful as always. I have been coming back 20 years now, when I first moved to the States and the food hasn't changed a bit, probably has gotten better. Nice and spicy, hunan style. I brought my fiance and her daughter. A great time was had on a Sunday evening and looking forward to returning.Special Features:
- Food exceeded expectationsGlobalTravelerDined on 8/5/2011We cannot get great Chinese food where we live, so we were looking for something faithful to authentic Chinese food (as it is in the U.S.). Brandy Ho's showed up on several review sites as one of the best in SF. It is a very small place and nothing pretentious about it. We had a reservation, which turned out to be a good thing because there were significant waits. Food was excellent. Particularly noteworthy were the sizzling rice shrimp appetizer and the whole steamed fresh fish, which for us was fresh salmon with ginger and scallions. The Hunan BBQ was also memorable for its deep smoke. It reminded us of Texas BBQ, and the waitress tried to steer us away from it because, "it has a very strong flavor." Yep. Service if you asked.Special Features:
- Loved it!! The best in myOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/9/2011Loved it!! The best in my book. I can't wait to return!!!
- Everything was average atOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/2/2011Everything was average at Brandy Ho's. Not stellar food but not bad either just right in the middle. I probably will try another place in the future with so many choices in the area.
- Had a nice lunch. Food wasJakeDined on 5/27/2011Had a nice lunch. Food was fresh & service was good. This is a good place for a quick meal but don't expect a relaxing experience.
- Easy to get a table..SiouxFallsFoodieDined on 4/22/2011The best feature of Brandy Ho's is that is easy to get a reservation, and that it can handle large groups. The food was decent, but I wouldn't go back unless I needed to find a place fast and no one wanted to wait in line. Other reviewers had said the food was spicy, but we actually thought most of it was bland. I'm sure there are much better options in Chinatown, but the best places have 2 hour waits, and we don't like to wait!Special Features:
- We were delighted with thisOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/21/2011We were delighted with this find in open table. We did think it would be closer to the water and with a view. Only thing missingSpecial Features:
- I had not been to this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/3/2011I had not been to this restaurant for several years. The food was generally bland and we found ourselves pouring on hot chili paste. One would expect a Hunanese restaurant to serve spicy food.
- Brandy Ho's - Authentic HunanTheDudeDined on 3/11/2011I'm slightly biased - I've been coming to Brandy Ho's for over 20 years, and they've never let me down. In the early 1980's, the "hunan food" revolution came to SFO's Chinatown with the opening of Henry Chung's Hunan restaurant. And while this Sansome establishment still packs 'em in, they've been resting on their laurels for years. Brandy Ho however keeps up the good consistent food in a low-key place. With the kitchen in full view you never have to worry, and the quality of the authentic Hunan food is legendary. The smoked meats are smoky and flavorful, and we often have the whole steamed fish. This week it was superb. Three people for less than $50 plus drinks, and it's a steal to boot.Special Features:
- very friendly staff, speedyGourmand1VIPDined on 2/19/2011very friendly staff, speedy service, reasonable prices, clean rest roomSpecial Features:
- We have visited Brandy HoOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/19/2011We have visited Brandy Ho on each of our San Francisco trips in the past 10 years. We chose it as the location to celebrate 2-milestone birthdays with a group of 21. It was perfect! The food was great and the staff were very accomodating. We were one of the groups making noise! Be sure to have the fried dumplings!Special Features:
- Nice place but not all thatkatefuVIPDined on 2/11/2011Nice place but not all that good for Chinese food.
- We enjozed it so much thatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/6/2011We enjozed it so much that we went back the following evening!!!Special Features:
- the steamed dumplings, wongreatVIPDined on 1/5/2011the steamed dumplings, won ton soup were excellent as well as the smoked chicken, but the chow mein had few vegetables and was greasySpecial Features:
- not as good as time beforeKimSpangDined on 1/1/2011not as good as time before but for "hot" hunan, still one of the better placesSpecial Features:
- food was excellent; serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/25/2010food was excellent; service was decent after overcoming initial unpleasantness associated mainly with nearly an hour wait before being finally given a table, despite our 7pm reservations which we even made a point to call the restaurant 45 minutes prior to arriving in order to confirm and remind them of our our reservation. it would have also been nice not to have to be made to wait an additional 45 minutes before sending someone to take our order. the very delicious food (EVERYTHING ) and well paced coursing for the remainder of our dinner made up for the initial negatives. discount also given in favor of the establishment considering the large size of our group (10) as well as the fact that it was Christmas day when we visited.Special Features:
- Service was terrible. It tookOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 12/25/2010Service was terrible. It took forever for the food to come out and when it did, it didn't seem worth waiting for. I won't ever go back there.
- like the open kitchen andtastyDined on 12/25/2010like the open kitchen and being able to view the chefs. The food was excellent +. There is ambiance Brandy Ho style. A very pleasant experience.Special Features:
- I began going to Brandy Ho'sOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/4/2010I began going to Brandy Ho's in 1979 when I lived in San Francisco. I've been back twice in the past 20 years. The Triple Delicacies was outstanding - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. The smoked Duck Hunan, not so much! Our server noticed that we did not eat this dish and asked if the food was good. We told her that we didn't like the flavor of the duck dish. That went on deaf ears as she took the uneaten dish away but still charged for it. I would certainly go back again but I'd stay away from unfamiliar dishes.Special Features:
- We had a mixed crowd includingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/19/2010We had a mixed crowd including kids and adults who didn't want things too spicy. The signature dishes were definitely better than the regular old standbys (chicken chow mein and sweet & sour pork). Go with a someone who likes spice!Special Features:
- Great food! Great place!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/18/2010Great food! Great place!!!! Only thing that was a little upsetting was They did not bring our food out at the same time... But no big deal, considering how good the food was!!Special Features:
- I have dined at this restaurantvtvalenzDined on 10/23/2010I have dined at this restaurant every time I have visited SF because the food is authentic Chinese. The service was excellent, we never had to ask for anything.Special Features:
- Nice authentic Asian food.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/21/2010Nice authentic Asian food. Efficient, friendly service. We are vegetarian so plant based foods were important to us. Many options were available.
- The food was great! It's notOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/19/2010The food was great! It's not your Americanized version of Chinese food. Steamed fish with gingered greens was sublime. Attentive and excellent service.Special Features:
- Loved how authentic the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/8/2010Loved how authentic the food was. Great flavor and quality.Special Features:
- The food is excellent, I goOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/21/2010The food is excellent, I go there every time I come to San Francisco. Service is good and you get a great value for the price. The original on Columbus is the one I go to every time.Special Features:
- very disappointing. I haveOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/21/2010very disappointing. I have eaten at Brandy Ho's for many years and this was the worst Chinese food I have ever tasted. I do not know what has happened, but the hot and sour soup was so bad we didn't eat it. The onion pancake was so salty we couldn't eat it. The rest of the meal was just as bad.
- I went online for Best ChinesefoodYESDined on 8/8/2010I went online for Best Chinese food and Brandy Ho's came up. It's menu looked like food we are used to ordering. Five of us went and ordered some of our usual choices,pot stickers, pork fried rice, beef with string beans. We added their special 3 fish dish. Except for the fish dish everything was just drowned in soy sauce and there was very little food for the price. NOT going back. the search goes on for good chinese in San Francisco.
- The food was delicious andOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/7/2010The food was delicious and very authentic. The restaurant is kind of small but the staff is very friendly and courteous.Special Features:
- It might have been the worseOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/31/2010It might have been the worse Chinese food I have had lately. It was very greasy and it was not tasty. The flavors were not nice or like other Hunan restaurant, like Henry's Hunan, which is also greasy but oh so yummy. Their string bean dish was saucy and wet, unlike the usual experience of stir-fried and dry. This place might probably be ok for those who don't know Chinese food too well or have had too much to drink and just want some greasy grub to keep their drinks down. Service was good though, our waitress was nice and they let us return the dish we couldn't eat, otherwise, they would've gotten 1-star b/c the food was just not to our liking.
- On the touristy border ofMrNeutronVIPDined on 7/31/2010On the touristy border of Chinatown and North Beach, Brandy Ho's would be easy to overlook. But after a couple of decades, this is still very good Chinese cooking. Good food in comfortable, casual surroundings.Special Features:
- Go for smoke ham, smoke duck,OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/25/2010Go for smoke ham, smoke duck, and deep fried dumplings.Special Features:
- NO MSG!!! It seems as thoughOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/13/2010NO MSG!!! It seems as though every other place in Chinatown uses MSG, which doesn't make sense since it's a preservative, and you would expect this to be fresh, but that's a whole other topic. Anyway, great food, very fresh, will be sure to visit again next time in San Fran.Special Features:
- food was excellent; placeFoodiemanVIPDined on 5/4/2010food was excellent; place was empty; probably more a lunch place. would definitely go back.Special Features:
- This was some of the freshestOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/29/2010This was some of the freshest food I've had in a while, period. It was like I was sitting in someone's kitchen and having them cook for me. Each dish was prepared individually and served. Servers were very attentive to our table but not over-bearing. I highly recommend this restaurant and look forward to visiting again in the future.Special Features: