Ship Tavern at the Brown Palace
321 17th Street
Denver, CO 80202Neighborhood:
Downtown / LoDo
SteakPrice: $30 and under
Ship Tavern at the Brown Palace
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.brownpalace.com/
- Phone: 3032973111
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Bill Dexter
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Off site catering is available from the Ship Tavern or the Brown Palace Hotel catering menus.
- Private Party Facilities: Any of the Brown Palace Hotel's catering rooms may be reserved based on availability.
- Private Party Contact: Kevin Bird, Ship Tavern Manager 3032973111x3225
- Entertainment: Pianist plays Wednesday – Saturday: 8:30pm – 11:30pm
- Special Events: International award winning "Breckenridge Burbon barrel aged and infused with Brown Palace rooftop Honey"
A word from Ship Tavern at the Brown Palace
Enjoy Ship Tavern’s own micro-brewed beer on tap along with a large selection of bottled beers while watching sporting events on the plasma TV. Ship Tavern features a casual menu and the freshest seafood in town. This Denver Colorado restaurant is also home to the region’s best prime rib, Rocky Mountain trout, prime steaks, fresh seafood & the best lobster salad sandwich in town.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Ship Tavern at the Brown Palace - Best Restaurants in Downtown / LoDo ›
Ship Tavern at the Brown Palace reviews from OpenTable diners
59 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (26)great for lunch (24)neighborhood gem (19)fit for foodies (12)romantic (12)vibrant bar scene (11)late-night find (11)good for groups (9)notable wine list (9)great for brunch (7)hot spot (7)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- The dozen of oysters rockefellerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/14/2013The dozen of oysters rockefeller that we had for an appetizer were not the same as what we have previously had at the restaurant. Unlike the normally blended mixture served on top of the oysters, this time they were served with large chunks of bacon/ham and greens on top which were a little overpowering and took away the salty/sweetness of the oysters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Business SettingLizzieDined on 12/13/2013I love to bring clients and suppliers to the Tavern - always great food and impressive. The Christmas setting always has that WOW factor and it is a classy placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/10/2013We could not have asked for better service, food, or attention. Celebrating a special mother/daughter holiday occasion, even though we were 1/2 hour late checking into the hotel, the restaurant held our table. We were given one of the best seats in the restaurant and the food was beautifully presented, cooked to perfection and nothing went to waste. Will look forward to the next time we can visit downtown Denver and this wonderful restaurant.Special Features:
- Way overpricedTravelerDined on 12/7/2013The food is of no better quality than, say, Red Robin, although there are some luxury items such as oysters on the half shell (tasty but very small). I had a spinach salad w/ seared salmon--generous portion, and the salmon was prepared nicely (seared & med. rare) but it didn't taste quite fresh, and I didn't care for the creamy salad dressing. I've had similar dishes at many other restaurants, much better, for half the price. My youngest had a grilled cheese, made with what looked like Velveeta (blech). My husband had a Reuben which was fine, but the bill for a family of four (incl. one ordering from the kids' menu) came to over $200 including tip. For that kind of money in Denver you should get top quality. This was nowhere close.Special Features:
- Family TraditionNanaDined on 12/7/2013Every year we go down to the parade of lights and stay at the Comfort Inn and we enjoy eating at the Ship;s Tavern. The food is good and the atmosphere is enjoyable and family friendly. Our grandchildren are 4 and 7 and really like the atmosphere and our waiter was very child friendly. It was great with the cold weather that we just walked across the walkway to get to dinner. They also love all the beautiful decorations all over the Brown Palace. We're looking forward to next year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- enjoyed ourselvesOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/7/2013Thank you for accommodating our large group, many ages. Also 3 of us appreciated the gluten-free menu.Special Features:
- An InstitutionFrequentEaterDined on 11/30/2013Three girlfriends and I had a lovely lunch here. Good food, great waiter, lovely hotel (Brown Palace) at Christmas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch at the BrownJoe123Dined on 11/27/2013Scheduling, service and ambience were excellent but we were disappointed with the food. Prime rib sandwich was not what I remembered from past visits, with too much gristle and under cooked. Lobster salad sandwich was chewy. Since this was a retirement luncheon, we had hoped for a better food experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- old historic jeweldgb1Dined on 11/16/2013"vintage" is the new black..and The Tavern has kept itself relevant without going in and changing everything... it is unique.. not many like it left. The service could be a little more retro vintage friendly to match the rest of it...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousLaughejDined on 11/16/2013Scott was the best and most professional waiter we have had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent salads at the ShipConnieODined on 11/11/2013I've dined at the Ship several times, and their soups and salads are always top-notch. This time I had one of the best cobb salads I've ever eaten, and my friend had the salmon salad and thought the fish was fabulous. We both also loved the Laughing Lab beer, which we ordered after the waitress brought us a sample to try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best seat in the houseAnAvidFanDined on 11/1/2013The Ship Tavern has it all, ambiance, great food, service and John KIte on the piano. He is absolutely fabulous and fun! I wonderful place to go anytime or a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey place should be a bit betterOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/28/2013Ship Tavern is located in the beautiful Brown Palace hotel. It is a comfortable, intimate, upscale casual tavern with soft lighting. It had two TVs playing (with the sound low) which can be good or bad depending... The waiter was professional and knowledgeable but not fake or fawning. We had prime ribs which the waiter told us is what that place is known for. My end cut was enjoyable, but given my level of expectation, which the waiter had cultivated, along with the price, it should have been better. I was pleased to learn that ST has a large gluten free menu in which many of the items from the standard menu are available in a very tasty, gluten-free version. I'm told that the dessert (of which I did not partake) was phenomenal.Special Features:
- Over-priced, under-servicedFoodie4LifeDined on 10/27/2013Despite having a reservation, we waited 15 minutes to be seated and another 15 minutes to see a waiter. I ordered the Salmon Oscar for a whopping $38 and it was the smallest piece of salmon I have ever seen. My table mate ordered the salmon spinach salad for $20 and she had twice as much salmon. My husband's Buffalo burger was also over-priced and disappointing. There are so many great restaurants downtown that I would not recommend the Ship Tavern. This was our second visit and it was equally disappointing.
- Fun place, poor service.ToddDined on 10/27/2013I took my daughter to dinner here last Sunday night after she completed her Cotillion class that was given in a Brown Palace ball room. The atmosphere was lively and there were a lot of sports fans having a good time and I noticed several tables with kids and/or other Cotillion parents with their kids. Food and appetizers took way too long. I didn't really pay attention at first, but they forgot to bring bread until I asked and then brought the appetizer and my daughter's dish at +30 minutes and at +45 minutes I had to get up and ask the waiter for my food which had been sitting. Other people were getting served ahead. Great sports bar or restaurant if your not in a hurry. I recommend you pass if you value service. I regret going.
- DisappointedKelMDined on 10/26/2013Arrived a few minutes early and the host seemed overwhelmed. He noted our reservation, but appeared confused by where to seat us, etc. When we were finally seated it took a while for the server to greet the table. One of the meals had an issue. The order was a salmon salad, but the salmon was VERY under cooked. The server removed it for a re-fire immediately, but the salad was not returned for almost 25 minutes. By this time our meals were cold as we waited for our friend's meal to be re-delivered. By the time the salad arrived we were really rushed to eat and get to the concert venue. A manager visited the table stating he knew there was an issue, but did not seem to be sincere or aware of the delay. Not a good response & average visit.
- Vegetarian diningHealthydinerDined on 10/26/2013I was so impressed with this restaurant. My friends eat meat, but I don't so I called ahead to see if they could make something vegetarian for me. They actually called me back to see what I was in the mood for and ended up making me an outstanding vegetable risotto. Just lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great but very expensive forRustyDined on 10/25/2013Great but very expensive for the setting. Then we went to the cigar bar, no drinks, hamburgers, coffee and two cigars. Met kids. Was very expensive there also so this is a special occasion place. Did enjoy it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor ServiceTrishDined on 10/19/2013The food was decent yet overpriced. However, the thing I did not pay for was our waiter's condescension. Horrible, belittling demeanor. I felt insulted and talked down to.
- Atmosphere and Quality - TOP NOTCHDWellserDined on 10/17/2013I took a client to Ship Tavern for lunch and had a perfect lunch. The atmosphere was very pleasant. The food was outstanding. And the service was top notch. But most importantly, even though it was a full room, we were able to have a conversation without having to change our voice tone and enjoy the full hour and half we were there. I highly recommend the Ship Tavern at The Brown Palace.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better for lunch...eatoutalotVIPDined on 10/15/2013Who does not love a visit to the grand dame of Denver, The Brown Palace. Food at the Ship Tavern can be good, great or mediocre...seems to depend on the day, who is in the kitchen and who is serving. It isn't the most consistent of experiences but when they get it right they have wonderful prime rib, a great lobster club sandwich, and decadent potato chips made in house.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the moneySarahEHDined on 10/12/2013It took over an hour for one cheeseburger. The food wasn't even that good, they have better burgers at some fast food restaurants. Considering the bill for 2 drinks, one appetizer and a cheeseburger entree was $70, I was extremely disappointed.Special Features:
- The food and drinks were verywolfeDined on 10/11/2013The food and drinks were very good, and the service was excellent as usual. We happened to land there in the middle of Denver's Great American Beer Festival, and so the Tavern, as were likely most others others in downtown Denver, was full of loud, partying Festival goers, making it difficult to hear conversation at our table.Special Features:
- Best Prime Rib EverLuanneSDined on 10/9/2013It is noisy at happy hour. The Prime Rib is the best we have ever had and the service was really great with "Don". We also had the Ginger Crème Brulee which was wonderful. We need to remember to go after happy hour. There are other great sounding dishes to try but we always have to Prime Rib!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy!SusanDined on 10/6/2013Had the special chicken sandwich on the Ciabatta bread. It was an amazing combination of cheese, tomato, grilled onions...terrific! It was served with the thin sweet potato fries with nice chunky salt crystals. The seared salmon salad on spinach was just as amazing. Green goddess dressing on the leaves, and topped with caramelized pecans, feta and blackberries. Both dishes were very tasty with beautiful presentation as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerOldsterDined on 10/5/2013Picked the ShipTavern over the Palace Arms for our anniversary dinner because the menu, being more "down to earth" (though not much less pricey) was more to our liking. Had a very good wine before some excellent onion soup and a tender 14 oz. ribeye steak, accompanied by a tasty twice-baked potato and perfectly steamed broccoli. The service was very good, the waiter attentive, but the main course took a long time getting there. The room was a little noisy, but I should not have been surprised. The capper was a surprise huge piece of black bottom pie for dessert, courtesy of the manager, in honor of the occasion. The black bottom pie was exceptional, and we managed to eat it all despite the ample main course. Very nice, memorable meal.Special Features:
- Birthday lunchShrinkDined on 10/4/2013Great birthday lunch with a dear friend. Best French Onion Soup. Speaking of onions the onion rings were delicious. Liked that they are open for lunch until 5:00. Able to see an afternoon movie and then grab lunch .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great old-fashioned food & serviceBillDined on 9/28/2013I first dined here in the early 1960s, and my fond memories are not disappointed upon infrequent returns to Denver. Then there were three items on the menu- prime rib, trout and steak. They're still there, and I can vouch for the continuing greatness of both the prime rib and steak. My daughter raved over her shrimp dish as well. The ambience is always warm, lively and informal.Special Features:
- Could use some workAKMariner85Dined on 9/27/2013This place seems like it could be great but it was just missing a little bit for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Intimate meetingMilliguyDined on 9/23/2013This not a restaurant if you want have a conversation over a meal, just to loud and tables are too tightly locatedSpecial Features:
- In AbsentiaRichardDined on 9/21/2013I was unable to attend but my guests (from Texas) said it was excellent and memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Ship Tavern is fabulous!foodistaVIPDined on 9/21/2013The Ship Tavern is fabulous! We have known Frank for many years. He is special to us and he makes each time there memorable. The food is always great and we love the energy from everyone.Special Features:
- Wine too $$$kateDined on 9/15/2013Server was slow to get to us, old fashioned grocery store buns (altho they were warm) wine poor per glass selection at$9.00 for a small poor and entree was good but not exceptional. Would not plan to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wedding dinnervioletDined on 9/13/2013My cousin was married in Sante Fe that morning and came to The Brown Palace for their Honeymoon night and then on to Breckenridge. We had dinner in The Ship's Tavern and it was perfect. The infamous Prime Rib Sandwich is still infamous and the Scampi and Rocky Mt Trout were hits as well. It was a perfect dinner in an intimate setting. It was great to catch up with them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was attentive, butEagleDined on 8/30/2013Service was attentive, but relaxed. Food was excellent. Noise level a little high for a business meeting.Special Features:
- Good food, comfortable atmosphereKrittyAZVIPDined on 8/14/2013We recently had a very nice dinner at the Tavern: the food was delicious, the service was good, and the evening was pleasant. There was a small group of very boisterous happy hour folks that prevented much in the way of conversation, but all was well when they moved on. Our waiter was pleasant, though sometimes "absent" when needed. I had the pear cocktail- not much taste and wouldn't order again. We enjoy the Tavern for the food and relaxed atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceFionaDined on 8/7/2013Loved the food. The waiter was exceptional. All around great time.Special Features:
- Not your ordinary tavern.KarenDined on 8/6/2013Not your ordinary tavern. It is located in the historic Brown Palace and worth a walk through before or after your meal. Love the Tavern's atmosphere, although a bit noisy. Portions are large so go hungry. Prices are a little high for tavern food but worth it for taste and atmosphere. Great place after a day of meetings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect in Every Way!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/6/2013We had cocktails in the Atrium and then dinner in the Ship Tavern. Franc was our wait person and he added to the wonderful dining experience! The food was delicious and his recommendations were spot on! We will be back, how can you go wrong with the Brown?Special Features:
- Slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/4/2013The food was good, but overpriced. The service was very slow even though they didn't seem busy. I witnessed two tables waving to get the attention of a server. The tip was built into the bill, which seems to be the only way to get a tip with such poor service. The waiter failed to bring a drink after two requests. Other requests were ignored, such as, 'no horseradish' or 'sauce on the side'. Overall a very disappointing experience.