Mount Hill Tavern
2120 Colonial Road
Harrisburg, PA 17112Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Mount Hill Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mounthilltavern.com/
- Phone: 7175406840x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday 11:30 am to 9:00 pm
Friday - 11:30 am to 10 pm
Saturday 5:00 pm to 10:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jason Clark
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Mount Hill Tavern features three private rooms for your event. Our smallest, across from our wine cellar, holds up to 16 guests. The Mezzanine can fit 24 guests comfortably with room for an A/V presentation. Our largest room is in the historic Fritchey Tavern room off of our lobby, which holds up to 50 guests. That space was built in 1798, and we restored it to how it would have felt back then, with original wood floors, trim, and windows. A fireplace with gas insert provides a wonderful atmosphere.
- Private Party Contact: Angela Shirk-Martin 717-540-6840x
- Entertainment: Join us again on the lawn every Thursday and Saturday this summer from 6:30-9:30 for our "Mount Hill Tavern 2014 Music on the Lawn" series. Thursday evenings this year will feature jazz, pop, classics, soul, R&B and blues.
Seating will be available on the patio, or guests are free to bring their own tables and chairs for seating on the lawn. Our full dinner and beverage menu will be available on the patio and on the lawn.
- Special Events: Mount Hill Tavern features three private dining rooms for your special event. Please visit our website at www.mounthilltavern.com or give us a call at 717.540.6840 for details.
A word from Mount Hill Tavern
Mount Hill Tavern provides Harrisburg with bold American flavors, exceptional service, & an extensive wine program. Our casual menu offers our unique presentation of some classic items as well as new innovative creations from one of the areas top chefs Jason Clark. We have a full bar as well as a beer list featuring craft beers on draft. We are so pleased with the final look & feel which pays homage to the historical relevance of the location & incorporates updated interior design components. One will find an abundance of historical materials & colors integrated with modern restaurant concepts. We have two levels of seating indoors in addition to our bar, as well as a large seating area outdoors on our patio.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Mount Hill Tavern - Best Restaurants in Harrisburg ›
Mount Hill Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
84 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (56)great for outdoor dining (48)fit for foodies (44)romantic (40)neighborhood gem (34)notable wine list (32)scenic view (23)good for groups (20)great for lunch (19)hot spot (8)great for brunch (7)vibrant bar scene (4)kid-friendly (4)late-night find (1)Show More
- OK but not worth the priceKevinMDined on 3/22/2014A beautiful setting, very nice historic building but could use some better atmosphere in the plain dining area. Service seemed a bit rushed while we were not in a hurry. We have no problem spending some money for a nice dinner, but this place needs to be about 25% cheaper for the whole experience. Food was decent, but not very creative. Rather boring. They seem to cater to the rich older local crowd. For this kind of money, there are better choices in the area.Special Features:
- A Gem of a Placedwb55Dined on 3/22/2014This was the nicest dining experience we have had in years. The food selections were numerous, the food, was excellent, the service great, the restaurant enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what I expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/22/2014I went there for my birthday expecting something fantastic from a recommendation of a friend and can honestly say I was very disappointed. I thought the prices were outrageous and the quality of food was no better then an Applebee's. The atmosphere was ok nothing special. The service was ok. Personally I would not recommend this place to anyone not worth the money. Very disappointed.Special Features:
- Barely acceptableAdequateDined on 3/19/2014I specifically asked for a quiet table that allowed for a relaxing evening while we celebrated my young adult daughter's birthday. We were seated in a room with 6 or 7 other close tables. The noise level was so bad we could barely hear each other while we waited 10 minutes to be acknowledged. We then waited 50 minutes for our meals that were adequate but not worthy of the price, lack of atmosphere, and in attentive service. It is a shame because it is a beautiful building with unlimited character and potential. The area needs a fine dining facility like this claims to be but fell short of actually being. By the time we got our food we simply wanted to be on our way. They could do better.
- Portions were just right..timingDoitagainDined on 3/17/2014Portions were just right..timing was good..Ceasers salad was so so needs improvement for the price.a little flair perhaps.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousDewolfVIPDined on 3/14/2014Food and service is always very good. Would recommend to anyone. A bit pricey but well worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Special PlaceGymratDined on 2/28/2014Took a special lady out for a first date and Mt. Hill helped make some memories.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExpensiveDelightedDined on 2/28/2014The food was excellent! However, expensive. I will only go on special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Adequate serviceCricket17Dined on 2/22/2014Our server seemed very nice, but she was inefficient. Our appetizers came out without issue, but when our entrees were served, only 3 came out at once. We waited many minutes for the other 3 plates, and of those 3, 2 were sent back to reheat the steak. My husband and I told our server we wanted another beer when our meals came up, but she didn't check back with us, as a runner was the one to give us our plates. We flagged her down to ask for more drinks. When it was time for dessert, 4 people got theirs, but again, my husband and I had to wait. The other 4 were almost finished when I got my carrot cake and I was finished by the time my husband got his dessert. High marks for the food, low marks for the wait staff.
- I would not recommendBryonDined on 2/20/2014Took my wife for a quiet romantic Anniversary Dinner, the Restaurant was noisey and the entrees (in my estimation ) were overpriced.
- best aroundOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/18/2014My fiance and I went to Mount Hill Tavern for V-day dinner. It was absolutely fabulous! We both loved our entrees. Our waitress was very pleasant. This place is by far the best fine dinning around. It is definitely worth the price. We will be returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous DinnerBonesDined on 2/15/2014Took my GF for the valentines day special menu. We both had excellent food! Portions were very filling and the service was outstanding!!! I would recommend this place to anyone looking for great food at decent prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always TastyErickDined on 2/15/2014Enjoyed the Valentine's Dinner. All three courses were delectable. Will be back again and will recommend to friends!Special Features:
- Always enjoy coming here!redmedicmamaDined on 2/15/2014The atmosphere is wonderful! The food is delicious and cooked properly. I have yet to have a meal that I dislike. The prices are reasonable. The desserts are inventive!Special Features:
- V-Day DiningRichDined on 2/15/2014While the service was great, the food lacked taste and the seating arrangements were WAY too close. While I understand it's the holiday weekend, it's not exactly romantic to have to sit right on top of people and listen to each other's conversation. The menu was OK selection wise but was completely over-priced for the taste quality. Everything was very bland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's DayfinedinningnewbDined on 2/15/2014My wife chose to make a reservation for Valentine's Day 2014 and the dinning was excellent. The food tasted great and the ambience was outstanding. The only slight negative was the service was slow, but it was Valentine's Day and busy so this is easily overlooked due to how good everything else turned out to be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent choice for a romanticFredDined on 2/14/2014Excellent choice for a romantic Valentine's Day dinner!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great valentines dayLarryDined on 2/14/2014Exterior looked great. Staff was very welcoming and not pretentious as at some fine dinning places. Decor was perfect to fit the colonial era building. Service was quick and remained attentive during the meal. Fillet was perfect and strawberry sorbet a fantastic ending.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect V-Day DinnerPerfectSunshineDined on 2/14/2014We had a wonderful experience at Mount Hill Tavern, as per usual. The food was phenomenal. Wine, always tasty. The pre fixe menu was perfect for a holiday dinner. A++ all around. My only criticism would have been a dress code or some sort of customer control which I know is very hard, however, we had a bunch of lovely couples around us until a certain group came in that should've taken their dates to Wendy's or McDonalds for Happy Meals. The tavern is a fine establishment and shouldn't allow people in sweatpants and jeans wandering around during special occasions IMO.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timelike2eatDined on 2/14/2014The food was great and so was the service. Best meal I ever had..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- special night outpenguinsDined on 2/14/2014We visited on Valentines day. There was a limiited menu, but we were able to find suitable selections even though I do not like seafood. My husband loves seafood and was very pleased with his seafood appetizer. The steaks were very tender and cooked exactly to ordered. My favorite part was the desserts! Banana Foster was divine--especially the icecream. Wonderful place for adults to relax.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business meal done rightmatthardtDined on 2/11/2014I had a couple of coworkers in from out of town and needed to conduct a meeting, then have dinner. The MHT team had read my request on open table, sat us out of the way, and infomed us that after getting us drinks they would leave us along on ordering dinner until the meeting was over and we were ready. They were excellent through the meal. All food was mostly organic and raised/grown in this area. Atmosphere was great. Food excellent. Very good wine list. I would recommend this experience to everyone.Special Features:
- Special needsSneakersDined on 2/10/2014Knowing simple things like whether your chips are gluten free would be very helpful for those with special needs. Most Hershey restaurants have really solved this problem and do a great job with allergy needs. A lot of side dish choices aren't necessary, just a few simple ones would be nice. Maybe a plate of celery and carrots when someone can't eat the fries. Lots of cardiac patients would appreciate an option like that.Special Features:
- We had a fantastic birthdayDavidDined on 2/8/2014We had a fantastic birthday celebration for my wife's 59. The filet was the best I have ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ChoiceGoodfoodloverDined on 2/8/2014I loved the food. There were so many fantastic choices it was hard to select what i wanted. The crab mac and cheese with the scallops was so amazing I could have made a meal of it alone. Great place to eat. I want to return to try more of the dishes. they all look so good.Special Features:
- AwesomePamelaDined on 2/6/2014This was our first visit but will not be our last. The food was mouth watering good. The best french onion soup I ever had. We will be back.Special Features:
- CharmingOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 2/1/2014Lovely old stone house with great food and even better service. Hannah is the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful evejellybeanDined on 2/1/2014would recommend to everyone. fabulous food and atmosphere, very nice dining experience...first time there, but won't be the last.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for Special Nite OutIvyLeavesDined on 2/1/2014My husband took me here for my birthday. Drinks were well made and generous pours. Cheese plate was amazing. Chicken Frances was a bit on the salty side, however this could have been due to the Parmesan. Nutella French Toast was sinful and perfect way to end the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliably goodmagpieDined on 1/31/2014Mount Hill delivered again. The food was very good (perfectly prepared steak) and we enjoyed the return of the Nutella French toast for dessert. We were seated in the the old, original part of the building which is very unique and wonderful. Our server was attentive but not hovering. Another great night out at Mount Hill Tavern.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the Tavern at its bestJurgielewiczDined on 1/25/2014This was my second time dining at the tavern, and we were blown away.We each had a prime rib eye which was cooked perfectly. Cole our server was knowledgeable and attentive. I will definitely be returning. Mount Hill Tavern is a neighborhood gem. ThanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food but ...WinnieDined on 1/25/2014We dined here to celebrate a friend's birthday.We had the Smoked Gouda appetizer + the short ribs with gnocchi + both were excellent.Good wine list. Problem started with the delivery of our entrees.There were 4 in our group and 2 of the meals were correct.Someone ordered the Bolognese and ended up with Bouillabaisse which he kept because it looked great and it was. When my meal was delivered, I was away from the table and they brought salmon instead of scallops.Server acted like she didn't believe that they had made an error + waited until I came back to ask me directly.Everyonebegan eating while I sat and waited.Server didn't offer any compensation + this is a high end restaurant. We would go back again but be more careful when ordering.Special Features:
- lovely as beforeDiningduoVIPDined on 1/25/2014This was our second time at Mount Hill and we loved it. Absolutely no complaints. We took our daughter this time and she agreed. The portions were just right too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Experience!Loki81Dined on 1/18/2014This was my first time here since I've lived in the area 8 years! I've always drove right past it. I finally made a reservation for a date and this place lived up to the hype. Food was excellent and well portioned for the prices, everyone was kind and happy. Our server was on point and quick with everything but we never felt rushed. The decor is great and has a very home feel with a clean modern edge. Overall I highly recommend going here. I will be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy birthdayAdymVIPDined on 1/17/2014Food was excellent. The kitchen service was a bit off.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/14/2014A-1 Service, fantastic food and beautiful facility! Ample parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food/Small PortionsDebbieDined on 1/7/2014Food was delicious as always. Did appear to have much smaller portions this time.Special Features:
- Great Special DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 1/4/2014I'm not from Harrisburg but my wife and i were looking for a special place to have dinner while in the area and this restaurant was fantastic! Unique food and atmosphere, great price, wonderful meal, fantastic service. I would give you 6 stars if I could!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice, Butmdb1Dined on 1/4/2014Beautiful restaurant, very good service, and food was delightful. However, the whole experience was overpriced.Special Features:
- Worth the trip...mommyskotDined on 1/4/2014The wine list is not extensive but well rounded. The charcuterie and cheese platters were wonderful. The seating upstairs is nice for a romantic evening or a small event. Thankfully we were not forgotten up there. The steakhouse entrees were well prepared as were the crabcake, potpie and papperdelle. A Hidden Gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.