Mount Hill Tavern
2120 Colonial Road
Harrisburg, PA 17112Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Mount Hill Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mounthilltavern.com/
- Phone: 7175406840x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday 11:30 am to 9:00 pm
Friday - 11:30 am to 10 pm
Saturday 5:00 pm to 10:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jason Clark
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Mount Hill Tavern features three private rooms for your event. Our smallest, across from our wine cellar, holds up to 16 guests. The Mezzanine can fit 24 guests comfortably with room for an A/V presentation. Our largest room is in the historic Fritchey Tavern room off of our lobby, which holds up to 50 guests. That space was built in 1798, and we restored it to how it would have felt back then, with original wood floors, trim, and windows. A fireplace with gas insert provides a wonderful atmosphere.
- Private Party Contact: Angela Shirk-Martin 717-540-6840x
- Entertainment: Join us again on the lawn every Thursday and Saturday this summer from 6:30-9:30 for our "Mount Hill Tavern 2014 Music on the Lawn" series. Thursday evenings this year will feature jazz, pop, classics, soul, R&B and blues.
Seating will be available on the patio, or guests are free to bring their own tables and chairs for seating on the lawn. Our full dinner and beverage menu will be available on the patio and on the lawn.
- Special Events: Mount Hill Tavern features three private dining rooms for your special event. Please visit our website at www.mounthilltavern.com or give us a call at 717.540.6840 for details.
A word from Mount Hill Tavern
Mount Hill Tavern provides Harrisburg with bold American flavors, exceptional service, & an extensive wine program. Our casual menu offers our unique presentation of some classic items as well as new innovative creations from one of the areas top chefs Jason Clark. We have a full bar as well as a beer list featuring craft beers on draft. We are so pleased with the final look & feel which pays homage to the historical relevance of the location & incorporates updated interior design components. One will find an abundance of historical materials & colors integrated with modern restaurant concepts. We have two levels of seating indoors in addition to our bar, as well as a large seating area outdoors on our patio.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Mount Hill Tavern - Best Restaurants in Harrisburg ›
Mount Hill Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
94 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (62)great for outdoor dining (58)fit for foodies (46)romantic (39)neighborhood gem (39)notable wine list (34)great for lunch (26)scenic view (24)good for groups (22)hot spot (6)great for brunch (4)vibrant bar scene (4)kid-friendly (4)late-night find (3)Show More
- nutmanDined on 6/9/2014What a great dining experience. Food, service and atmosphere were fantastic. If you are looking for a place to dine for a special occasion you owe it to yourself to give this place try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just great.njeater987VIPDined on 6/7/2014We sat on the patio for our kids' birthday dinner after a long day at Hershey Park - the service was attentive, the offerings were varied and incredibly well-prepared. The view was magnificent. A great find for travelers to get away from the touristy offerings closer to Hershey - you will be thrilled with every bite!Special Features:
- Nice dining experienceoinestepDined on 6/6/2014My wife wanted to go here for her birthday. Great atmosphere, great good, and the mixed drink was tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great LunchAHogenDined on 6/6/2014My friends and I all got the the soup/sandwich/salad lunch combos. I had the reuben and the apricot salad, both of which were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top Harrisburg Restaurant ListsweetenglishpeaDined on 6/4/2014Hi, We will be adding this restaurant to the top 10 we have discovered in the Harrisburg area. The menu had creativity, many good choices and was presented well. The grounds and building were exceptionally maintained and clean. Definately returning to this restaurant.Special Features:
- Outdoor Dining GemTHincRDined on 6/4/2014We stumbled upon this place while on a business trip. We're happy we took the risk. What a delightful culinary experience supported by exceptional service. My wife had the lamb goat cheese ravioli and I had the Boston Bibb salad. Both excellent and highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best Resturant in PAOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/4/2014Chef Jason and his staff are very creative and provide a different spin on traditional foods. Mount Hill Tavern has the quality of food that you would find in fine dinning restaurants in New York City. The restaurant provides you with private dinning that you can entertain import people in your life or clients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mount HillSuseDined on 6/4/2014Hold many business lunches here, but also good for lunch with friends. Upscale menu, service was great this time. Occasionally a bit slowSpecial Features:
- Mt Hill Lunch Crushes CompetitionDottieVIPDined on 6/3/2014I took a good friend for lunch at Mount Hill, wooing her from her usual favorite place (Macaroni Grill). She enjoyes their lunch combos. I felt she would find the crab/corn soup, salads, and half-sandwiches to be more creative and filled with superior ingredients. Mt. Hill is one of my favorite Harrisburg restaurants, so I wanted her to try it. The food, ambience, and great service left Macaroni Grill in the dust. She loved her greens salad with arpicots and nuts and the crab soup. I loved my choices, too. For $12, you get large portions of delicious food, creatively served with outstanding chips and a huge pickle slice. Mt. Hill crushes the competition in the area for lunch.Special Features:
- Good, butBomar11VIPDined on 5/31/2014The evening we went it was a beautiful weather. We sat on the lovely 2 tiered patio and had a very good meal. Don't miss the popovers in the bread basket . The food was tasty but we felt that the menu was a bit overpriced. Cathy was a fantastic server. I would go back again and sit outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the best Mt. Hill has ever been!!onlyGreatFoodDined on 5/30/2014Absolutely amazing! The food was the best I have ever had! Chef Jason and his team are truly working magic and preparing amazing food that usually you would find in big cities, not little Harrisburg. Chef Jason has turned Mt. Hill Tavern into one of the top restaurants in central pa! And from what I hear, only better things are to come!! I will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 498 reviews are from the Mount Hill Tavern reviews archive.
- surprisingly good foodtaomarkDined on 5/24/2014The restaurant is beautiful and the food rises to the occasion. Interesting, if limited menu. Salads were spot on. Entrees were well prepared and served hot. All told a wonderful place to have dinner on a saturday night. Also great lunch menu, excellent place to have lunch.Special Features:
- Special but not over the topOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/24/2014I've always enjoyed excellent food here. There is a nice variety, with interesting dishes. The quality is excellent. Would be pricey for a family but nice for special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly SurprisedAHogenDined on 5/24/2014My husband and I have eaten at Mount Hill Tavern several times since it opened a few years ago. It started off very good, then became mediocre at best. We decided to give it another try, as I heard that they got a new chef. The food was excellent! I ordered lobster tail and my husband got the Maine scallops. Both were delicious and perfectly cooked. The server recommended a wine which paired perfectly with our entrées. We had a great dining experience. We will definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GeeEpicuriousjaygeeDined on 5/24/2014Celebrated Mothers day on 5-23-14/Staff let us select our table & I selected by the main floor wait station. Service quick&Waitress was very helpful. Chef was at our table and thoroughly explained the menu & answered our questions. The appetizers were perfect. We had pork belly tacos, blue crab chowder and the chef combined 2 appetizers into 1 that was super( meat and cheese platter w/ all the sides). Wonderful presentation / food was just tremendous. Wife/Daughter split the filet w/ brandied mushrooms(awesome) *Done to perfection, Oldest Daughter 1/2 portion Bolognese over Peppardelle still had some to go/I had grilled peach&goat cheese salad w/crab-cake...Awesome flavor & Best crab cake in Harrisburg. 3rd visit...Can't wait for 4thSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just hubby & ICityGirlatheartDined on 5/23/2014Went for a quiet Mother's Day dinner for two, since we had entertained our Mothers on Mother's Day. Great time, great food, generous portions. Ran into our neighbors and chatted with them for a while before leaving. Always a pleasure eating here and will check out their summer music series as is sounds like a ton of fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not chef Jason's best nightOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/22/2014We have been fans of Chef Jason since his days at Final Cut. Food and service were impeccable there. However, Thursday evening at Mt Hill, everything was just off. Slow, unattentive service, with below average food. Crab cakes were not his usual best jumbo lumb as the menu describes and the lobster ravioli was undercooked so I had to send it back. The second dish was the same. They took off the bill but we ended up eating our dishes separately. Not what you expect with a $100+ dinner bill even with the ravioli removed. Sorry Chef but I think you lost loyal fans. If you weren't on the line Thursday then you need to fix what was broken or your Mt Hill Tavern will not survive. Sorry.
- siglechienDined on 5/17/2014Food was of good quality, creatively prepared and presented, but portions were excessive in size. Upstairs dining room is small and noisy.
- DisappointedPhyllisDined on 5/17/2014I'd been for lunch a couple of times and was quite satisfied. Always wanted to experience dinner. We were seated right away to a table holding the menus. We waited for more than 10 minutes to be greeted by our waitress. That might seem petty but she only had one other table at the time. She took our drink order but did not tell us her name. She did tell other diners who came in after us. We had the Canyon Oaks (house) wine which was very good. I ordered the Maine Sea Scallops. It wasn't hot and the scallops could've used another 30 seconds or so. It was very expensive. Not sure if I'll go back unless it's for lunch.Special Features:
- Fabulous meal and wonderful servicewant2eatDined on 5/12/2014The scallops, macaroni and spinach combination was absolutely wonderful. The four large scallops were prepared to perfection...browned just the way we like them. We like a quiet setting, so we were there early and on a week night. Our waitress, Ashley, was terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere, so so foodMtneerDined on 5/11/2014We visted Mount Hill for Mother's Day. Maybe it was the special menu, but the food was nothing memorable. The soups were bland, as were the entrees. The service was good and the ambiance was terrific. All in all it was a so so experience. I'd like to give them another try with their regular menu, but with so many proven choices, and those yet to discover, that may be a while.Special Features:
- Mother's Day LoveAshley717Dined on 5/11/2014We ate here for Mother's Day brunch in a large group. Everyone was impressed overall. My one year old started getting fussy and the waitress quickly brought us a roll for her to eat. I was so impressed with the service. Understanding a customers needs and being proactive is what makes for great service and Mt. Hill Tavern definitely went above and beyond. The food was great and even though we sat inside the outdoor seating will definitly be bringing us back this summer !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Slow ServiceJmacDined on 5/10/2014We were a party of 4 with reservations. When we arrived, we sat for 10 minutes before the server asked for our drink orders. There was way too much time between courses. Other parties that arrived after or at the same time we did were served quickly. The food was fantastic, and for that reason, I would recommend this restaurant to a friend but not sure if we would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thursday Nite at Mt. HillGymratDined on 5/8/2014Always consistently good food and service. Ambience like no other in area. Caliero/Peck duo were added bonus as we ate in the tavern side. Thoroughly enjoyed evening and Mt. Hill has become a favorite spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Alpaca1BigguyDined on 4/26/2014Food was average service was great. Noise level was so loud that could not enjoy dinner
- Spring MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/25/2014The new spring menu is wonderful. Part of our group had crab cakes, which as always were fantastic, one person had filet and could do nothing but rave about it, and someone had the prosciutto carbonara. The beer selection is great if you like different beers, draughts are always changing but have a good seasonal selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerjrsteveDined on 4/19/2014The service and ambience at Mt. Hill Tavern were outstanding. However the food was not up to the same standard. Although my cornish hen was done to perfection, my wife's crab cake was bland. We both had asparagus that was too thick for this time of year (late April). This is an excellent south central PA dining location. Our only recommendation is for the chef to take advantage of fresh local ingredients and cook them in a way that highlights their natural flavors and textures instead of forcing them into a preconceived menu.Special Features:
- Birthday celebrationHBurg2Dined on 4/15/2014I took my wife here for her birthday. The server greeted us at the table with birthday wishes for my wife by name (reservation was in my name and I told them it was for her birthday). The food was very good as was the service. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Combos RockDottieVIPDined on 4/10/2014The soup and salad lunch combination is a wonderful value. Mount Hill offers excellent choices and features the best cream of crab soup In the area. Their iced tea and coffee are great, not a mean feat in bland Harrisburg. It's a terrific place to carry on business at lunch.Special Features:
- Not happy with serviceJoePADined on 4/7/2014We made a reservation via Open Table and indicated that it was my wife's birthday. No mention of it during our meal, but the couple behind us were honored on her birthday. I did not ask for anything on open table, just mentioned it. But that is really not our gripe. This is what happened: 1) Young lady, very nice, very unprofessional waited on us. 2) She asked me, the guy first, what I wanted and I diverted her to my wife. 3) There is much more, but ran out of space on this review.
- Great food ...friendly staffOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/4/2014We frequent MHT quite a bit for business and personal occasions. The staff is friendly, food is superior. I particularly live the crabcakes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rehearsal dinnerfoxinsoxDined on 4/2/2014A few years we had our rehearsal dinner upstairs. Had about 25 people and they comfortably Sat us all. Wonderful staff and good wad great! . We came back for our wedding anniversary and had a very nice quite dinner. Staff again wad wonderful and food was great. . Thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls night outgirlsnightoutDined on 3/26/2014We all enjoyed the relaxed unhurried atmosphere for our girls night out. The food was great and the dessert divine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very goodMagnum531Dined on 3/24/2014Overall I was very pleased with the decor, the service, and the food. Dinned with a group of 7 and everyone in the group was pleased with thier meal. Service was great and good value for the dollar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK but not worth the priceKevinMDined on 3/22/2014A beautiful setting, very nice historic building but could use some better atmosphere in the plain dining area. Service seemed a bit rushed while we were not in a hurry. We have no problem spending some money for a nice dinner, but this place needs to be about 25% cheaper for the whole experience. Food was decent, but not very creative. Rather boring. They seem to cater to the rich older local crowd. For this kind of money, there are better choices in the area.Special Features:
- A Gem of a Placedwb55Dined on 3/22/2014This was the nicest dining experience we have had in years. The food selections were numerous, the food, was excellent, the service great, the restaurant enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what I expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/22/2014I went there for my birthday expecting something fantastic from a recommendation of a friend and can honestly say I was very disappointed. I thought the prices were outrageous and the quality of food was no better then an Applebee's. The atmosphere was ok nothing special. The service was ok. Personally I would not recommend this place to anyone not worth the money. Very disappointed.Special Features:
- Barely acceptableAdequateDined on 3/19/2014I specifically asked for a quiet table that allowed for a relaxing evening while we celebrated my young adult daughter's birthday. We were seated in a room with 6 or 7 other close tables. The noise level was so bad we could barely hear each other while we waited 10 minutes to be acknowledged. We then waited 50 minutes for our meals that were adequate but not worthy of the price, lack of atmosphere, and in attentive service. It is a shame because it is a beautiful building with unlimited character and potential. The area needs a fine dining facility like this claims to be but fell short of actually being. By the time we got our food we simply wanted to be on our way. They could do better.
- Portions were just right..timingDoitagainDined on 3/17/2014Portions were just right..timing was good..Ceasers salad was so so needs improvement for the price.a little flair perhaps.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousDewolfVIPDined on 3/14/2014Food and service is always very good. Would recommend to anyone. A bit pricey but well worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.