728 Fifth Avenue
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.astisandiego.com/
- Phone: 6192328844x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 11:00am - 11:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 11:00am - 12:00am
Happy Hour: 3:00pm - 6:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, European, Italian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering Menu - Please call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Semi private dining available for small and large groups. Please call 619.306-4465 for details.
- Private Party Contact: Marcela Davies 619-306-4465x
- Special Events: Groups and large parties have enjoyed Asti's accommodations for over 19 years. You will find that Asti's staff will take care of your group and special event from prior arrangements, throughout the dinner/event to following up.
A word from Asti Ristorante
Asti, located in the heart of San Diego's Historic Gaslamp Quarter, has been providing guests with an exquisite fine-dining experience since 1994. Watch the passersby as you dine out on the patio for a pleasant shaded lunch or while indulging in a candlelight dinner. Come on inside to experience the warm, elegant ambiance of the dining room. For the convenience of our guests, Asti can also arrange transportation to and from the restaurant.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Asti Ristorante - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Gaslamp ›
Asti Ristorante reviews from OpenTable diners
48 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (19)neighborhood gem (18)special occasion (16)romantic (15)fit for foodies (14)great for lunch (11)notable wine list (10)good for groups (9)hot spot (6)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (2)scenic view (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Horrible experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2014I chose this restaurant because it was recommended on opentable and I read the reviews. This place was awful, I wanted to bring my wife to a nice Italian restaurant and couldn't believe the quality of food they were serving. The entrees were about $30 dollars apiece and at that price the food should be at a expected level, NOT. All of the food I received was pre-cook and heated up for my order. I told the manager that I felt my roasted potatoes were old and dried out and he responded that they had been made at 1oclock in the afternoon, it was 9pm. My string beans were dark and wilted and scallops were over done. As for my wife her pasta noodles were mushy and no where near
- sweetheart214sweetheart214Dined on 2/14/2014excellent food, excellent service. you will need a reservation very busy on Valentines Day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnavailableTravelerDined on 2/13/2014I had a coupon so chose Asti but when I arrived they didn't have my reservation. No available table in outside dining area and people weren't moving. I saw a table next door at Panvino (?) Italian Cucina and had the most amazing Italian experience! Skip Asti and eat at the authentic Italian owned restaurant next door. Gave Asti two stars just because others were eating and staying but I didn't eat there due to mixup of reservation.Special Features:
- Excellent DinnerBridgetDined on 2/13/2014Went for dinner, great food, not crowded, excellent service, would highly recommend you try it!Special Features:
- Great food and Great serviceCbake88Dined on 2/13/2014The service and food was absolutely amazing. We will definitely go again and will definitely tell friends and family about this place.Special Features:
- bestchhopsgreatwineDined on 2/13/2014I had a great experience in the resturante. The waiter was delightful and the food was good. The atmosphere was very romantic. This is a place I will eat again and bring my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!!salido99Dined on 2/6/2014This was our 2nd visit to Asti Ristorante. The first time was with a large group and this time we returned for a romantic anniversary dinner. The food is fabulous and the service is great. This is a small intimate restaurant, we will definately return on our next trip to San Diegp.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was excellent. The waiterRJA1Dined on 2/3/2014Food was excellent. The waiter was great. He suggested how big the protions were and how much to order (saved some money). Also was attentive and polite. Osso Buco was great and large enough to share. Outside dining was nice and heaters made it very comfortable. Would definitely go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- we had a large group and hadDanielDined on 2/1/2014we had a large group and had a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was great! EveryoneOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/25/2014The food was great! Everyone enjoyed their entree. Service was excellent, waiter was friendly and informative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and central locationBobMDined on 1/24/2014Very attentive waiter, we asked for fast service because of a later concert and we finished early. Only negative was the house specials menu didn't state the prices so we had to ask the waiter. All were very pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place is amazing! MyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/18/2014This place is amazing! My husband and I drive 2.5 hours to have dinner hereSpecial Features:
- Italian SurpriseLTDRDined on 1/16/2014Very well done guys! I was pleasantly surprised by the service, food, and prices! We went on a weeknight around 7pm and were seated right away. The place filled up shortly thereafter and everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves. Beer and wine prices and selection were good and not overwhelming, and the menu was the same. Plenty of classic Italian fare with some Southern Cali twists. I would definitely recommend Asti, and will be back next time I am craving good Italian.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Uninspired Dining ExperienceFfitzpatVIPDined on 1/6/2014Featured Quail and Risotto and were out of Quail. Ice Tea not available at lunch. Halibut that they recommended was quite good. Service was attentive. Parking was a challenge. Other places not in the Gaslamp District would be a better choice.
- High dollar for bad cookingJediswimmerVIPDined on 1/5/2014It was one of the 1000 point reservations and my significant other and myself regularly expand our culinary experiences. We decided tot take this place for a whirl. To be honest, this was a waste of time and money. I overpaid significantly not only for a pasta dish but for an overcooked and badly seasoned lobster. We took the recommendations from the server, who seemed to be the manager, and sad to say while the atmosphere was nice, the food fell flat on it's face. I will not be making a 2nd trip to this establishment.
- Good food, overpriced for the localcvd5007Dined on 1/3/2014The food was good, but significantly overpriced compared to Little Italy. As someone that lives in SD, I wouldn't go back. As someone that want to experience the Gaslamp vibe, it's in a great location with solid Italian food. It's within the $20-$35 range for a pasta dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- new year's evedhdpDined on 12/31/2013New year's eve was very popular for this restaurant and all reservations past 8pm couldn't get seated; we were seated at 9p. Our server was nice and attentive. However, I did overhear another server say "no more asian customers" (to another server). I would love to assume it was a joke (but don't think so), and it was completely inappropriate to say this in front of other diners. The food took some time (given the night) but came out hot. Some servers were joking around and dropped a wine glass next to our table; some glass hit my foot and luckily it didn't hurt me. The shrimp & fettucine was good but I wasn't overly impressed. I'm not sure I'd bother coming back considering my experience with the servers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inattentive/Distracted ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/31/2013Service was not good. Waiter may have been distracted by other customers. The filet mignon received as part of the pasta dish was inedible (way too rare). The waiter never asked how it should be cooked. The entire dinner is ruined when food has to be sent back to be properly cooked or arrives poorly prepared. Unlikely to return here.Special Features:
- Excellent service but...JeremyDined on 12/26/2013The staff were very good and the ambiance was charming. I ordered a roast chicken stuffed with a spinach mixture which was delightful. I would certainly order it again. However my wife ordered the parmesan crusted chicken and was thoroughly disappointed. The quality of the chicken was good however the preparation reminded me of a truck stop diner. Because it was smothered in sauce the whole meal was soggy. Also there was essentially no side dish to the meal so she received a soupy plate of chicken and that's it while my roast chicken came with vegetables and tasty mashed potatoes. I understand that chicken parm isn't exactly high cuisine nonetheless I would expect more effort from an establishment with this reputation.
- THE FOOD WAS GOOD, BUT.............MidnightroseDined on 12/25/2013When one makes a reservation, one would expect to be seated within a 5 minute time frame. Waiting in the cold, on the street for half an hour is just not acceptable. It was only when one of our party blew his stake, did we get a table. Not good enough Asti. It's redeeming feature, however, was the food, but it is incredibly expensive, not to mention the wine. Would we go back? I doubt it very much. There are hundreds of restaurants in San Diego, whose food is on a par.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Un-ExpectedFloRidaVictoryDined on 12/25/2013Traveled on Christmas Day. Our experience did not match reviews. Reservation seating was prompt - good. Noise level - Very loud - Not good. Service was good although asked only once to fill our water glasses. Seemed staff was short handed. Extremely busy. Lots of people waiting outside. Ambience was disappointing from the reviews. Set up is far from "romantic". Tables are packed inside small space. Outside dining is literally in view of people waiting. Reviews commented on portion size being large - not the case. We ordered eggplant parmesan (eggplant was very thin) and Chicken parmesan. It was decent although chicken was very thin as well. Salads are not part of the entree nor was Italian dipping oil for the bread. Would not recommend.Special Features:
- Christmas Dinner DisasterdivadeelishDined on 12/25/2013We made reservations here for dinner on Christmas thinking we were going to go to a nice, upscale restaurant and enjoy a lovely Italian meal. Well, even though we had reservations we still had to stand on the sidewalk for about 20-25 minutes and wait for a table. When we got a table, it was a cramped four top squashed between other tables and extremely uncomfortable. Service was slow and since our table was right by the front door, the draft was quite cold. My husband ordered the Veal Marcella, which was $29.00. The waiter suggested he get the veal shank since "its our most popular." So, we took his suggestion. When the bill came, the veal shank was $47.00! For ONE veal shank and some baby carrots on the side.
- Good food.KojonesVIPDined on 12/22/2013The lasagna was a great traditional dish that was free hand attacked with a great sauce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food is pretty and theportionsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/26/2013The food is pretty and theportions are large. Service was excellent.Special Features:
- New favoritecatfuzzDined on 10/19/2013Tried a new italian restaurant before the theatre and it was wonderful, fun, great service and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- molto buonoFoodloverDined on 10/11/2013Great food, great service, a bit of authentic Italy in San Diego. Highly recommend the lamb chops which were delicious and cooked to perfection! The swordfish dish was also fantastic. Wonderful evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was the fourth time I havedd1125Dined on 10/8/2013It was the fourth time I have eaten here and the service has gotten worse each time. They seemed aggravated we were there.
- Evening Specials No Published PriceRaccoonsDined on 10/5/2013Enjoyed our meal at Asti on a Saturday night. The restaurant was working from a "paper" reservation list when we arrived and our reservation was not on it. Took about 5 minutes to prepare a table for 2 inside. We each had a glass of Chianti Reserva and a salad to start. Entree portions were very good and huge.... took home at least half. Service was excellent except for the waiter who sat down on the bench seat next to us to talk to some "regulars" who happened to be seated next to us...no acknowledgment or asking if we minded his intrusion. There are no published prices on the specials menu.....ask if you are concerned. From our experience the specials were higher than the "regular" menu prices. Second visit to Asti.....we would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply not goodEleLVIPDined on 9/25/2013Pricey for poor food. Risotto tasted like boxed rice, olive oil was stale.
- San Diego in the Heart of the CityevamarieVIPDined on 9/24/2013While visiting San Diego a friend of mine insisted that we eat at Asti since it was the best seafood dish she had. The seafood dish was delicious. We sat down at the right time because the server only had to left of those special dishes. The server was kind and brought us extra pesto sauce - it was so good we wanted more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One more beautiful evening at Asti!GeorgeTDined on 8/31/2013Asti is our #1 favorite restaurant in San Diego. Especially love being able to dine outside on the street side patio. The waiters, staff and management are outstanding across the board...many of them remember you even after a year!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The service and food are alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/17/2013The service and food are always top notch at Asti. This restaurant is one of our favorites.Special Features:
- Great foodEdmundVIPDined on 7/27/2013The lamb shank was incredible and the risotto was quite flavorful. My wife had the seafood risotto and it was equally delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable dinnerJoanDined on 7/19/2013We had a very enjoyable dinner at Asti's on Friday night. Comic-con was going on so the Gaslamp district was extremely crowded. Our waiter was very helpful in recommending several dishes which were great. My husband had the seabass and I had a prawn and scallop dish which was excellent. All in all it was a very enjoyable dinner.Special Features:
- ItalianIndulgeandDineVIPDined on 7/5/2013We had a gift card to Asti that had been sitting around for at least a year (probably more). I decided to give it a try just in case the restaurant shut down, that seems to be the thing in San Diego. Asti is very small and quaint. The food & service were both very good. We went for dinner and one of the waiters was rather loud because the place is so small it tends to feel as if you're having a conversation with the entire restaurant. Overall it's a good place for pasta, very touristy due to location.Special Features:
- Great food Reminded me ofOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/21/2013Great food Reminded me of a New York restaurant Great service tooSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It will doSantaDined on 6/18/2013Got pulled in off the street by the hosteses, sat right out front with my wife and 3 kids. I have to say I thought the waiter was a little put off by having to serve a family. A lot of eye rolling and did not make us feel welcome. Extensive menu, food was good but when you are used to eating in the North End in Boston this Italian food fell short of what I would call very good italian. With all the other options on 5th Ave, dont know that I would go back. I had the Gorganzola Gnocci which was very good and my wife had the shrimp scampi which was lacking in flavor. Both healthy portions. Kids ordered pasta as kids do... and apparently that was beneath our watier.Special Features:
- Tourist TrapOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/4/2013Way overpriced, low quality food. Even the Chicken Parm ($28) was awful - soggy chicken, bad sauce, over-cooked vegetables
- Intimate restaurant, great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/1/2013Loved Asti....highly recommend sitting at one of the outside tables. The caprese appetizer with proscuitto is a must, and the creme brulee dessert was fantastic as well. It was hard to decide what to order as the menu was very extensive and had plenty of options for everyone. Service was attentive but not to the point of being intrusive. Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerSunshine1994Dined on 5/16/2013This is a fantastic restaurant! I went here on a recommendation from the hotel staff for my 40th birthday dinner. Excellent food & wine, along with very friendly staff. I went with a girlfriend and we sat in the outside area, which is great for people watching & random conversations with people. I would highly recommend! PS - the restaurant never actually got my reservation from Open Table but set a table for us in less than a minute.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.