69 Church Street
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.erbaluce-boston.com/
- Phone: 6174266969
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: Charles Draghi
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Farm to Table, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: erbaluce has several private dining options ranging from two private rooms upstairs for parties of 8 to 22 in the smaller room, and up to 60 in the larger room. Cocktail parties for up to 100 guests. erbaluce is also available to contract larger events encompassing both floors upon request and availability.
- Private Party Contact: Cheryl Centeno 6174266969
- Special Events: erbaluce offers regularly scheduled regional Italian wine tastings, farmers' market tastings, and guest chefs. for more information, please sign up for our newsletter on www.erbaluce-boston.com. You can also find us on facebook at erbaluce(boston).
- Public Transit: The nearest T stop is the Arlington Street stop on the Green Line. The restaurant is two blocks away, down Arlington Street toward the South End, on Park Square.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There is parking available in a small lot adjacent to erbaluce, as well as many large parking garages surrounding the restaurant, and there is ample street parking available as well.
A word from erbaluce
Charles Draghi and Joan Johnson's highly acclaimed contemporary Italian restaurant and wine bar. With Charles' simple, ever changing menus, rooted in traditional regional Italian cooking,and the best seasonal local ingredients. This restaurant has won numerous awards and kudos from critics, and many dedicated customers. Along side the Italian menus are equally lauded, all Italian wine lists, comprised of rare and traditional village wines. Joan has created the inviting ambiance of erbaluce, which is lovely, simply elegant, and romantic- recalling the classic trattorias of Northern Italy. The enoteca/wine bar is a cozy and lively meeting place, with its own menu of simple plates and a fun cordials cocktail list. Joan's welcoming presence in the dining room, along with Charles' inventive cuisine and rare wine offerings, make an evening at erbaluce a truly wonderful and unique dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
erbaluce reviews from OpenTable diners
156 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (115)neighborhood gem (101)romantic (89)special occasion (87)notable wine list (65)good for groups (19)late-night find (9)hot spot (8)vibrant bar scene (5)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Favorite Boston restaurantEfanDined on 5/22/2014The food at Erbaluce is, in my opinion, the best in Boston. Chef Draghi changes the menu daily to reflect the fresh food he buys locally, and prepares dishes using no butter or cream, just wonderful vegetable essences seasoned with herbs. Healthy, sophisticated, and delicious offerings, excellent service, quiet ambiance.Special Features:
- Second VisitJanetDined on 5/18/2014I was very happy with my second visit to this cozy restaurant. While I think the menu is a bit stuffy, I enjoy trying new tastes and this is the place for that. My friend and I both ordered pasta dishes which were tasty and perfectly proportioned. We enjoyed having the little dessert cookies afterwards and the coffee was very good! One note was that our server was preoccupied with other customers and was not very friendly to us, more mechanical. Maybe it was a bad night for her. Would surely come back here next visit to Boston.Special Features:
- I never get tired of ITALIANKeepingUpDined on 5/18/2014Erbaluce is a little hard to find; on a small side street right in downtown Boston. A major treat is that they use no butter in their cooking, so many dishes are lower in calories and fat than the usual rich Italian. Pastas are all quite good, freshly prepared with high quality ingredients. Their daily specials are excellent; on our night there, one member of the party ordered the roast boar. Tender, seasoned perfectly, and beautifully presented. A little pricey, but I would recommend it. Our only drawback (and we didn't say anything about it) is that we were seated right next to the bar rather than in the small main dining room. Not a big problem, and the traffic and noise was well managed.Special Features:
- Outstanding in every way!GastronomDined on 5/16/2014erbaluce continues to be an outstanding Boston restaurant! Chef Chuck is so imaginative. Each night he creates flavorful cuisine using seasonal ingredients in unique and healthy ways. How he can do this with no butter or cream is amazing. Very knowledgeable staff, too, and Joan is gracious and welcoming. Handy to the theater district, too. Keep up the good work! Can hardly wait to come again.Special Features:
- amazing flavorsbettyVIPDined on 5/15/2014Dinner was amazing. Seasonings on the pasta with mushrooms, pork special and salads were particularly memorable. We hadn't been there in a while but will return as soon as we can. Elizabeth (Betty) GreenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique food choicesCapefoodieDined on 5/15/2014Very unique food combinations, excellent presentation, pleasant and attentive wait staff. Nice wine list. Worth a try, especially when in theatre district.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Secret FindluvtoeatVIPDined on 5/9/2014Anyone interested in daily menu's apply! Be surprised by the creativity of the chef at this secret restaurant. Hidden behind and amongst the Park Plaza area, is a great place to eat. All the food is fresh and cooked to order. The four of us went last week before a concert. It was packed and lively. The service was excellent and the fair was to die for. I had been twice before and it still stands out amongst the best in town. We will return!Special Features:
- This place is Fabulous!dak1Dined on 5/7/2014We continue to frequent this place in a cute little enclave of Bay Village. The food is inventive and the service is impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always ExceptionalCurtVIPDined on 5/2/2014Erbaluce remains the most innovative place for Italian food. Still preparing fresh, sustainable ingredients with a touch of genius How, for example, could the pork cheek on my companions plate have tasted so lean and tender and perfectly seasoned to this pecatarian? This is the kind of restaurant that challenges your assumptions about food. I hope they keep it. (Not inexpensive.)Special Features:
- DisappointingMitchVIPDined on 5/2/2014No one to greet us, kept waiting until someone came by. Server was excellent but food just eh. Nothing special.
- Tourist from LAlibbabeVIPDined on 4/30/2014My pasta was too al dented, my friend' s was too mushy. Very long wait between appetizers and main dishes. Main dishes were good , but not cabbage rolls.
- A very nice experiencepczernyVIPDined on 4/26/2014This was our second trip to Erbaluce and as was the case for our first visit everything was excellent. The menu selection is quite varied and the service was just excellent. If I had a complaint it would be that there was a rather obnoxious group at another table but fortunately, they left shortly after we arrived. Obviously, that isn't something that a restaurant has much control over.Special Features:
- Great food, but a little rushedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/26/2014I had the wild boar and my friend had the pork cheeks. Both delicious! Definitely try one of their signature cocktails. Only complaint is that we felt a little rushed by the waitstaff and the food almost came out too fast to enjoy, but other than that great experience.Special Features:
- Unique experienceKennethDined on 4/25/2014The food was simply some of the best that I've had while in Boston. I loved it. The ambiance was great, service great, and hostess/manager was warm and friendly. Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!!!Juju284Dined on 4/25/2014Amazing food with amazing blend if flavors! From the white bean purée with olive oil to the biscotti a feast for the taste buds!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for special occasionsbtownfoodieDined on 4/24/2014Went here for boyfriend's birthday - food is a little salty & pricey but overall delicious. Waiter was friendly, overall ambience was perfect for the occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pre-theater dinner.KL24VIPDined on 4/22/2014My fiance and I tried this restaurant on our walk to the theater and were very impressed. Service was excellent and our waiter made sure to ask if we had a time constraint due to the show. It took a few minutes to get the full menu as the chef was still out shopping, however, our meal was well worth the wait. The razor clams were extremely fresh. The duck entree was perfectly roasted and apportioned nicely. The sea snail pasta special was a delightful surprise. The sauce was extremely flavorful and the pasta was al dente, a quality hard to find at many Italian restaurants in Boston. We are so happy friends recommended this hidden gem. The menu changes nightly based on what the chef finds at the market so we will definitely be dining again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Complex dishes.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/18/2014This is the kind of place we love. Complex dishes with many ingredients leading to complexes flavors and aromas. We had three appetizers, 3 entrees (including the signature wild boar dish) and we passed plates so we each got a third of each. All delicious.Special Features:
- Hard to find but worth the trouble.justvisingDined on 4/15/2014erbaluce is a fine Italian restaurant. The address is not easy to find. Various GPSs failed miserably but Google Maps prevailed. Apparently even the cabbies of Boston can't find it. Once found it was worth the trouble. The staff was attentive without hovering. It was lively without being so noisy that we couldn't carry on a conversation. The food was quite good and the wine was excellent. Boston has many fine Italian restaurants but not many take reservations. erbaluce was a great choice for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Erbaluce offers a creativeEdgarDined on 4/12/2014Erbaluce offers a creative menu with fresh ingredients. Our waiter was attentive, knowledgeable and personable. The apps were amazing. The wild boar was outstanding, but think twice about the black tail whole flounder with almond pesto. I'm a big fan of flounder and don't mind working around the bones, but there wasn't much meat to be had and what I got was either gelatinous or mealy. I would have sent it back if we weren't running for a show. Still, I'd go back as, overall, it was a very positive experience despite that one entree.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lucky FindoutandaboutDined on 4/12/2014Looking for something convenient to the Revere Hotel I checked out Boston Magazine for theater district restaurants and erbaluce was one of the choices. It is convenient to the hotel but set back from the bustle of Stuart Street in the Bay Village neighborhood, which has a lot of charm. We had the first reservation of the evening at 5pm so we were promptly seated and our waitress quickly took our drink order and told us about the evening specials. We tried a carrot appetizer that we had never seen on other menus; it was very tasty and we would order it again. I had the carbonara and my husband had the fish special, both were very good. With our coffee we received complimentary sweet bites, a nice touch. We'll recommend to others.Special Features:
- DisappointedJacksonVIPDined on 4/11/20142nd visit. Was looking forward to returning. Service was fine. Food was terrible for all (party of 4). There are too many other great options. With all 4 apps and entrees being so poor, we will not return. Ok with a miss or two but not all misses.
- Always up to expectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/6/2014I needed a place for a fun, celebratory dinner with a friend. Erbaluce did not disappoint It never does. Food was great and the service, friendly and generous. Busy and buzzy without killing dinner conversation.Special Features:
- We love Erbaluce. The foodLKfoodieVIPDined on 4/5/2014We love Erbaluce. The food is always excellent and the service attentive. We have discovered several wonderful wines there. Do ask the servers advice. I am disabled and the owner is always willing to open the side door and make way for the scooter I and dependent on. They are sensitive about seating me where I am comfortable. It is confusing that they don't have a fully accessible bathroom. There is no grab bar. This simple step would make the whole experience perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not nearly as good as first visitReggieDined on 3/30/2014Our first visit to Erbaluce was a lovely evening with excellent food and service. We put it on our short list for a return visit a few months later. This most recent visit the restaurant was noisier, the service was average at best, and the food flavors were more bland. One of us had the same entree as before and it was noticeably inferior in presentation and in taste. Not sure what happened, but this last experience does not leave us as eager to return as the first visit did.Special Features:
- Two after the WiburMJ335Dined on 3/29/2014Seated promptly, excellent service from the entire staff. Appetizers and the entree were well prepared and enjoyable. Would recommend and would go again.Special Features:
- An Italian TwistSensei01913Dined on 3/29/2014Unique dishes with twist - - venison, wild boar, not your plain old pasta and the fresh catch. Rare finds in wine; good but not great service; friendly and very yummy deserts ( best boschoti ever). Lives up to its website description.. Definitely make a visit or two or more....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great meal and wonderful ambiencesprite125Dined on 3/28/2014Came here with my husband to celebrate my birthday during restaurant week. A lovely meal that wasn't heavy despite it being an italian restaurant. Starters: squash and crab soup, and speck (prosciutto-like) w/ apples and sesame oil. Both were yummy. The mains: he had the rigatoni while I had the wild boar. Delicious overall! Great flavors, well cooked. The only flaw was the desserts: Chocolate bread pudding (just ok); lacked zip. The candied pear was in a caramel sauce but it just wasn't sweet enough. The owner did stop by to thank us for coming and gave complimentary dessert treats -- candied kumquats, honey meringues, and cocoa dusted fudge -- those were SO GOOD!! Overall service, ambience, and food all recommended.I would recommend this to a friend.
- We have been here severalOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/27/2014We have been here several times and never have been disappointed. The food was excellent as always. Great spot!!Special Features:
- Amazing food, slightly crampedvinnyDined on 3/27/2014The food was fantastic, and our waiter helped us choose g I od wine pairings. The price was pretty good for what it is. My one critique is that the dining room is tiny, so you don't get a lot of room to spread out. All in all, one of my favorite boston spots!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dining experienceSeattleiteDined on 3/23/2014I sought a Boston restaurant to host a small group of friends while visiting the city. Erbaluce was very well located and was a great atmosphere and provide a great selection and warm, thoughtful service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great choice for a special mealRobertVIPDined on 3/22/2014We experimented with a number of new foods and flavors. The food was outstanding and a wonderful experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable meal with friendseatsfoodDined on 3/22/2014Friends and i recently dined here prior to a show. The restaruant handled our needs exceptionally well including accomodating our slightly late arrival, due to traffic, and our time constraints due to attending a show. Our waitress was knowledgable and friendly. Our food was delivered promptly and we all had excellent meals and yet we did not feel rushed. Definitely would recommend it and also would plan to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Does not stand up to the hype at alOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/21/2014My partner and I had the displeasure of dining at Erbaluce this evening. The food was medicore at best. The tagliatelle were bland and soggy. The calamari were tasteless and overcooked. The buccatini were slightly redeeming of the meal but left quaite a lot of be desired. The service was inattentive and hurried. There is better Italian food to be had elsewhere in Boston. Avoid if you can!
- Overly imaginative?Dinedon12613Dined on 3/21/2014This was my second and last time at Erbaluce. The food is overly complicated and the combinations don't work for my palate. We shared an appetizer of cured ham w/shaved raw butternut squash. It was strange and neither the texture nor flavors worked. We each had the fish wrapped in escarole. I found them bland until you got to an odd sauce. For me the food is pretentious and trying too hard to be unusual. Finally, we specifically noted we had ballet tickets yet our main course arrived such that we "inhaled" it and had to run (literally) to the Opera House.
- We got lost looking for theNewFavoriteDined on 3/20/2014We got lost looking for the restaurant. But the hostess was nice to seat us right away. The service was slow. The server basically told us the full menu as "specials for the day." The service was slow. The hostess was walking between the tables, but not paying attention to the dinner orders. I never saw the server going into the kitchen to check if dinner was ready. It was not spectacular:(Special Features:
- SUPERB!ApheksDined on 3/19/2014I was recommended this restaurant by a good friend, and I was not in any way disappointed. In fact, my lady and I went in for Dine Out Boston week, but ended up ordering off the normal menu. Our server was splendid, and gave us some valuable suggestions as to what type of wine to pair with our respective dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect PairingsmayaVIPDined on 3/19/2014We had a light dinner before the opera which was overflowing with flavors. The salads were perfect starters. Then the special bay scallops and '31' ingredient pasta with the restaurant wine selection was an excellent finish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice, but not greatSweetbizkitVIPDined on 3/18/2014The food was good, fresh ingredients and very well cooked pasta! But the rigatoni with mascarpone was a little bland.. Service was outstanding and the ambiance is really nice. Did not make it to my personal favoritesSpecial Features:
- Table noiseNFLsfittestVIPDined on 3/15/2014Straight off we like Erbaluce, have taken people a few times and been taken a few times. Food is good & wait staff competent. This time we got stuck at a table in the back right corner of the room, beside a wait station. Do you know that sound of emptying your dishwasher when you out your flatware in the drawer ? Imagine three people there doing it. That's what it was like. That's an extreme reduction in quality for the price you pay. Despite a sweet tooth, we skipped dessert and headed for quite spot where the flatware storage is well away from the table. Will continue to like Erbaluce, but not quite as much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.