69 Church Street
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.erbaluce-boston.com/
- Phone: 6174266969
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: Charles Draghi
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Farm to Table, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: erbaluce has several private dining options ranging from two private rooms upstairs for parties of 8 to 22 in the smaller room, and up to 60 in the larger room. Cocktail parties for up to 100 guests. erbaluce is also available to contract larger events encompassing both floors upon request and availability.
- Private Party Contact: Cheryl Centeno 6174266969
- Special Events: erbaluce offers regularly scheduled regional Italian wine tastings, farmers' market tastings, and guest chefs. for more information, please sign up for our newsletter on www.erbaluce-boston.com. You can also find us on facebook at erbaluce(boston).
- Public Transit: The nearest T stop is the Arlington Street stop on the Green Line. The restaurant is two blocks away, down Arlington Street toward the South End, on Park Square.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There is parking available in a small lot adjacent to erbaluce, as well as many large parking garages surrounding the restaurant, and there is ample street parking available as well.
A word from erbaluce
Charles Draghi and Joan Johnson's highly acclaimed contemporary Italian restaurant and wine bar. With Charles' simple, ever changing menus, rooted in traditional regional Italian cooking,and the best seasonal local ingredients. This restaurant has won numerous awards and kudos from critics, and many dedicated customers. Along side the Italian menus are equally lauded, all Italian wine lists, comprised of rare and traditional village wines. Joan has created the inviting ambiance of erbaluce, which is lovely, simply elegant, and romantic- recalling the classic trattorias of Northern Italy. The enoteca/wine bar is a cozy and lively meeting place, with its own menu of simple plates and a fun cordials cocktail list. Joan's welcoming presence in the dining room, along with Charles' inventive cuisine and rare wine offerings, make an evening at erbaluce a truly wonderful and unique dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
erbaluce - Best Restaurants in Theater District ›
erbaluce reviews from OpenTable diners
161 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (122)neighborhood gem (97)romantic (92)special occasion (91)notable wine list (70)good for groups (19)hot spot (10)late-night find (9)vibrant bar scene (4)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Great!ILoveTrufflesVIPDined on 8/19/2014Neighborhood gem, great fresh delicious food, reasonable prices for what you get.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a GemNancyRVIPDined on 8/17/2014This neighborhood restaurant is both creative and delicious. All items are perfectly prepared and presented. Love it.Special Features:
- excellent restaurant !OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014Excellent restaurant, with innovative menu. Great service and great atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MediocreSeeargyDined on 8/15/2014Nothing special. Kind of felt like I was eating in a converted rec room. Good carbonara thoughSpecial Features:
- amazing!!LArtusifanVIPDined on 8/12/2014Great food and service! Very welcoming environment and amazing carbonara with duck egg yolk!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food marred by bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/9/2014Food was good and fresh as expected. Waitress was too inexperienced to provide adequate descriptions of preparations or guidance on wine recommendations. Based on her failure to read signals from placement of flatware and inconsistent timing of wine to course, she had inadequate experiencd in fine dining. First course took 45 mins to arrive. It was a salad. Requested wine pairings sometimes came well after course was presented. Delay of 20 mins between clearing of last course and presentation of bill.Special Features:
- Some highs and lowsFoodies4VIPDined on 8/9/2014We have a very good meal here but there were some inconsistencies. The Heirloom tomato and burrata appetizer with walnuts and a balsamic reduction was one of the best caprese type salads I have had. In contrast, the Agnolotti pasta was served in a green garlic herb sauce that had a very off-putting flavor. The other two meals were good but nothing else really stood out.Special Features:
- California lady splurges with kidsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014I brought my cash-strapped MIT boy and his friend to this restaurant after seeing the Blue Man concert on a Friday night. I was able to get a table easily. This is a high end place. We are not high end foodies. But they were not snobbish toward me or my underdressed company. Each bite was a surprise to our palates. We has a sunflower appetizer. It was beautifully presented but the flower itself was a little drab. I think it needed a sauce or something to brighten it had. I had the bass which was scrumptious and the kids had steak which they savored. . The wine was beautifully paired. It was pricey but worth it. We will not forget this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tucked AwayPopePepeDined on 8/8/2014My girlfriend and I ate what was possibly the best dinner we'd had in a long time here. The setting was wonderful, the food was a revelation. From the braised sunflowers to the chef selected cheese tray, this restaurant makes great use of classic recipes, update to modern farm to table organic presentations. A great and knowledgeable staff rounds out this great experience. This is one place worth seeking out.Special Features:
- Delicious food!JB86Dined on 8/8/2014We had an overall great experience! The food was delicious, my friends and I all cleaned our plates. The only thing that would be an improvement on the experience -- please change the menu font! It is incredibly difficult to read, especially if you aren't overly familiar with Italian cuisine. I couldn't even read the cocktail menu well (same cursive font).Special Features:
- Where is the chef?JuneDined on 8/8/2014We made later reservations for 5:30PM due to the chef out shopping at the farmers market the last dinner we had here. So this time no chef until about 6:15PM due to he is shopping at the farmers market????? This chef makes the best gluten-free chick pea bread which was available. But early diners loose out because the chef is not there because he is shopping.Special Features:
- sagetaDined on 8/7/2014awesome restaurant, great food and great environmentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hard to find but worth it!EpicuriousVIPDined on 8/6/2014We were here once before (a year plus) and had a fabulous meal. Second time was also a charm! The menu is eclectic but very fresh and very local. I had a steak that was incredible. My wife had wonderful bluefish. Our friend had pasta carbonara ( he liked it but didn't share...) Salads before meals were very fresh and different. Alcohol is a bit of a problem if you want hard liquor ( infused only) but a big wine selection. Staff was a little full of playful banter but very knowledgeable as well. Park in the Revere Hotel Parking lot (Old Radisson) They validate.Special Features:
- PhenomenalDanielaVIPDined on 8/2/2014Godly good, fresh Italian food. Chef came to our table and talked to us about his garden. There is nothing more I expect from a dining experience.Special Features:
- Erbaluce - best Boston restaurantDonnaMedfordDined on 8/1/2014We started going to Erbaluce about 5 years ago prior to seeing the Shakespeare on the Common every July/August. What started as an annual tradition turned into going there 4-5 times a year as we just kept wanting to keep having these great meals, creative and perfectly prepared. We started going to Erbaluce for birthdays and with friends from out of town, to treat them to what we feel is Boston's best restaurant. The wait staff are all superb, extremely helpful in helping us navigate the extensive wine list - not to tell us what to order, but to guide us based on our palettes and the character of the selected meal. We can't recommend Erbaluce highly enough.Special Features:
- a little to loud for my tasteCheakyVIPDined on 7/31/2014it took over an hour before our first course arrived. We looked around the room and no one had food in front of them. It seemed rather odd since everyone did not show up at the same time. Dinner lasted 3 1/2 hours and it was not because we were slow eaters. Food was slightly overseasoned and descriptions were unclear. It was our first time at the restaurant and not sure I will give it a second try.Special Features:
- Beautiful food, excellent serviceAnonymousVIPDined on 7/30/2014My friend and I are regulars, because the food is always thoughtfully prepared and very high quality, the wine is great, and the service is exceptional. This time, we both tried some new dishes. My friend loved the meatball app from the bar menu and the lobster special. I had a shrimp app special. Both seafood dishes were perfect--not at all over-cooked. My entree was the pork cheek dish, which was amazing. It wasn't as heavy as I expected, but silky and decadent. I would absolutely recommend that dish!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014Outstanding food, excellent wine list and superb (but not overbearing) service.Special Features:
- Excellent spot in Theater DistrictOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/24/2014Erbaluce is a lovely little spot tucked down a side street in the Theater District. The food is delicious and creative. The service was great - friendly and casual, but attentive to detail and very responsive. The atmosphere is very sweet and intimate. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well-made, delicious mealShariMDVIPDined on 7/23/2014The chef creates delicious meals based on what he finds in the farmers markets daily. Everything we had was delightful and well prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tucked-away right in front of youNettaVIPDined on 7/22/2014Erbaluce isn't on the main drag with the other restaurants in the Park Square area, but it outshines most of them! Don't let the location fool you - this is a gem of a restaurant, with a calming ambiance, attentive (but not overly so), informative service and spectacular food. We met with three friends to introduce Erbaluce to them and they were delighted with our "find." We each ordered something different - when was the last time that happened to you in a group? - because there were so many wonderful choices that we wanted a taste of as many as possible. Striped bass, Tagliatelle with wild boar ragu, Cavatelle with sausage, Porchette special - all were great choices. Brandon paid special and helpful attention to our wine selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing as alwaysmfynfDined on 7/17/2014I do not remember when we discovered this place, it sure was a number of years ago. We came back several times and were never disappointed. In fact, each and every time it was just fantastic. Our visit this week was no exception - absolutely gorgeous food, great atmosphere, excellent wines - what's more to ask?Special Features:
- Dinner at ErbaluceJanaDined on 7/13/2014We were looking forward to this dinner, however it failed to impress. We ordered the lobster special, which was cold and chewy with not much flavor. The wild boar was good, but again cold. After we received our entrees we never saw the waiter again, he never asked us how our food was, our cold, mostly uneaten food sat in front of us for quite a while and after waving him down we finally got our check. Disappointing for how highly Open Table recommended this restaurant.
- erbaluce in bostonhungrydudeDined on 7/12/2014My 21 year old son and I tried this place at the recommendation of a friend who lives in the boston area. I would characterize the food as average - certainly edible (except for a scallop app that was raw, cold and slimy) but not noteworthy in any way. I had the "chef's signature" dish of roast wild boar which was a little tough and chewy (I guess it was a tough boar) and my son's entree was a little on the watery side. We probably would not return any time soon as there are many other restaurants in the Boston area.
- Superb Italian with American TwistTheGoodDinerDined on 7/12/2014A gem. A small cosy restaurant with a delightful owner receptionist and a superb owner chef (husband and wife). Our waiter, who was most professional, told the history of the restaurant and explained the philosophy of the chef. The main course, the special of the night, was a lobster in a most tasty, slightly spicy refined italian sauce. What a treat!Special Features:
- A bit disappointed...AngieFoodCakeVIPDined on 7/11/2014The food was pretty good, but the ambiance was a bit lacking, and the service was extremely slow (though friendly). Not sure if it's supposed to be that way (more European style), but we weren't really prepared for it. I had definitely expected a bit more.
- Neighborhood GemOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/11/2014Charles and Joan and their entire team are professionals. Few Bostonian's have heard of Bay Village. It's a beautiful neighborhood nestled nicely on the edge of Park Square - Erbaluce's home and front door Erbaluce has a select clientele. And, although we want this wonderful bistro to be our well kept secret, we're willing to share it with you. Take the time to get to know Joan and her team. Joan's team will lead the way through Charles' splendid and always scrumptious offerings that change with the season, the evening, and his artistic whim - ask them for their recommendations and appropriate wine and cocktail pairings. Enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible experiencepberardiDined on 6/29/2014This restaurant has poor menu and terrible service.Menu is written in a terrible font very very difficult to read. Our waitress was not attentive at all, we noticed waiters brought breadsticks to tables as soon as guests arrived. Our waitress had to be asked to bring us the breadsticks. Food was left on our plates and our waitress did not even ask if there was something wrong with the dish. Espresso was horrible again our waitress didn't ask if there was anything wrong with it
- Angelic agnoliniOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/29/2014Outstanding food and service, the highlight of my last trip to Boston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect marriage of flavors!PeterRVIPDined on 6/27/2014The freshness of the ingredients and the originality of seasonings and flavors makes this place a epicurean's heaven in Italian cuisine. This place reminds me why I fell in love with family owned restaurants in Tuscany. Our waiter, Robert and owner Joan gave excellent service and are very knowlegable! I loved the the fact that instead of relying on butter and cream, the chef finds a alternative way to give the entrees/sauces a richness and heighten flavor combining different ingredients. I didn't leave the restaurant feeling like I ate too much! We traveled to Boston from New York for the weekend and now we can't wait to come back and dine at Erbaluce again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sadly DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/27/2014Place came highly recommended from a few colleagues and had good write ups but just didn't live up to it. Lobster was overly spiced and boar shoulder was very tough and chewy. I was so looking forward to this evening but it just didn't live up. Oh well.
- FlawlessNickDined on 6/27/2014The owner is the chef, and the chef is actually the chef, not a logo or marketing ploy. Every dish was executed flawlessly. We chose to go all-out, as this was a long-awaited first visit to the restaurant, and each course was better than the last. And I have to say, at the age of 51, I never ate or liked asparagus. Until Erbaluce. It was simple and sweet and my wife couldn't believe I was eating it. Just an excellent dining experience from top to bottom. And our young waitress, though relatively new and slightly unsure of some menu items (she was very quick to get the answers), helped to make it an extra-special meal with her sweet and friendly personality.Special Features:
- Perfect nightSouthEndFoodieVIPDined on 6/26/2014My boyfriend and I went here for his birthday. I had been once before and it was his first visit. The food and service are truly impeccable ! The wine list - wow. Our waitress was incredibly knowledgeable and friendly. My steak was out of this world and my boyfriends pasta so delicious. Just a perfect dining experience. Quiet and cozy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique, delicious, fresh!JDGJDined on 6/26/2014My first exposure to Erbaluce was being at the Copley Square farmers market, and noticing a man going from one produce stand to another, carefully picking out vegetables, and filling several large bags. I asked a vendor who that was, and was told that it was the chef of Erbaluce, who did this every day the market was open. We went for dinner, and Erbaluce not only met our expectations of super fresh food, but blew us away in terms of menu. Every dish we had was unique and spectacular. In a world where appetizers are often more interesting than the entrees, the entrees here were the best we've had recently. Unquestionably, the food at Erbaluce was more interesting and better than at many better-known spots around town. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful seafoodAnonymousVIPDined on 6/25/2014Perfect halibut, chilled pea soup amuse, and cheese plate.Special Features:
- The following 1262 reviews are from the erbaluce reviews archive.
- Fabulous food and service!FriendVIPDined on 6/21/2014The chef takes a personal interest in each guest and came out to visit our table. Our server was very knowledgable and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic FoodJuneDined on 6/21/2014My husband has celiac disease thus he must eat a gluten-free diet. The chef is very sensitive to specific dietary requirements. He will even cook up some gluten-free bread if you let him know ahead of time. Very, very good food!Special Features:
- Sad to see changes in qualityananasVIPDined on 6/20/2014We have been coming to Erbaluce since they opened and go many times per year. They have been a favorite restaurant for us. Unfortunately our last visit was disappointing on many levels. A salad had not the freshest greens, hard pears, and hard dried out mozzeralla. One dish that was described as vegetarian on the menu came with pork in it. The dessert menu was less appealing than in the past so we did not have any.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/18/2014The food was fabulous, northern italian cuisine. The staff was very friendly and the service efficient. I would definately eat here again the next time I am in Boston.Special Features:
- Consistently fantasticAlanVIPDined on 6/15/2014Erbaluce...oh my favorite restaurant in Boston: Welcoming staff, excellent service, delicious unpretentious food. A la prochaine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.