69 Church Street
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.erbaluce-boston.com/
- Phone: 6174266969
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: Charles Draghi
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Farm to Table, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: erbaluce has several private dining options ranging from two private rooms upstairs for parties of 8 to 22 in the smaller room, and up to 60 in the larger room. Cocktail parties for up to 100 guests. erbaluce is also available to contract larger events encompassing both floors upon request and availability.
- Private Party Contact: Cheryl Centeno 6174266969
- Special Events: erbaluce offers regularly scheduled regional Italian wine tastings, farmers' market tastings, and guest chefs. for more information, please sign up for our newsletter on www.erbaluce-boston.com. You can also find us on facebook at erbaluce(boston).
- Public Transit: The nearest T stop is the Arlington Street stop on the Green Line. The restaurant is two blocks away, down Arlington Street toward the South End, on Park Square.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There is parking available in a small lot adjacent to erbaluce, as well as many large parking garages surrounding the restaurant, and there is ample street parking available as well.
A word from erbaluce
Charles Draghi and Joan Johnson's highly acclaimed contemporary Italian restaurant and wine bar. With Charles' simple, ever changing menus, rooted in traditional regional Italian cooking,and the best seasonal local ingredients. This restaurant has won numerous awards and kudos from critics, and many dedicated customers. Along side the Italian menus are equally lauded, all Italian wine lists, comprised of rare and traditional village wines. Joan has created the inviting ambiance of erbaluce, which is lovely, simply elegant, and romantic- recalling the classic trattorias of Northern Italy. The enoteca/wine bar is a cozy and lively meeting place, with its own menu of simple plates and a fun cordials cocktail list. Joan's welcoming presence in the dining room, along with Charles' inventive cuisine and rare wine offerings, make an evening at erbaluce a truly wonderful and unique dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
erbaluce reviews from OpenTable diners
155 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (114)neighborhood gem (100)romantic (89)special occasion (86)notable wine list (65)good for groups (19)late-night find (9)hot spot (8)vibrant bar scene (5)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014Outstanding food, excellent wine list and superb (but not overbearing) service.Special Features:
- Excellent spot in Theater DistrictOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/24/2014Erbaluce is a lovely little spot tucked down a side street in the Theater District. The food is delicious and creative. The service was great - friendly and casual, but attentive to detail and very responsive. The atmosphere is very sweet and intimate. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well-made, delicious mealShariMDVIPDined on 7/23/2014The chef creates delicious meals based on what he finds in the farmers markets daily. Everything we had was delightful and well prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tucked-away right in front of youNettaDined on 7/22/2014Erbaluce isn't on the main drag with the other restaurants in the Park Square area, but it outshines most of them! Don't let the location fool you - this is a gem of a restaurant, with a calming ambiance, attentive (but not overly so), informative service and spectacular food. We met with three friends to introduce Erbaluce to them and they were delighted with our "find." We each ordered something different - when was the last time that happened to you in a group? - because there were so many wonderful choices that we wanted a taste of as many as possible. Striped bass, Tagliatelle with wild boar ragu, Cavatelle with sausage, Porchette special - all were great choices. Brandon paid special and helpful attention to our wine selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing as alwaysmfynfDined on 7/17/2014I do not remember when we discovered this place, it sure was a number of years ago. We came back several times and were never disappointed. In fact, each and every time it was just fantastic. Our visit this week was no exception - absolutely gorgeous food, great atmosphere, excellent wines - what's more to ask?Special Features:
- Dinner at ErbaluceJanaDined on 7/13/2014We were looking forward to this dinner, however it failed to impress. We ordered the lobster special, which was cold and chewy with not much flavor. The wild boar was good, but again cold. After we received our entrees we never saw the waiter again, he never asked us how our food was, our cold, mostly uneaten food sat in front of us for quite a while and after waving him down we finally got our check. Disappointing for how highly Open Table recommended this restaurant.
- erbaluce in bostonhungrydudeDined on 7/12/2014My 21 year old son and I tried this place at the recommendation of a friend who lives in the boston area. I would characterize the food as average - certainly edible (except for a scallop app that was raw, cold and slimy) but not noteworthy in any way. I had the "chef's signature" dish of roast wild boar which was a little tough and chewy (I guess it was a tough boar) and my son's entree was a little on the watery side. We probably would not return any time soon as there are many other restaurants in the Boston area.
- Superb Italian with American TwistTheGoodDinerDined on 7/12/2014A gem. A small cosy restaurant with a delightful owner receptionist and a superb owner chef (husband and wife). Our waiter, who was most professional, told the history of the restaurant and explained the philosophy of the chef. The main course, the special of the night, was a lobster in a most tasty, slightly spicy refined italian sauce. What a treat!Special Features:
- A bit disappointed...AngieFoodCakeVIPDined on 7/11/2014The food was pretty good, but the ambiance was a bit lacking, and the service was extremely slow (though friendly). Not sure if it's supposed to be that way (more European style), but we weren't really prepared for it. I had definitely expected a bit more.
- Neighborhood GemOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/11/2014Charles and Joan and their entire team are professionals. Few Bostonian's have heard of Bay Village. It's a beautiful neighborhood nestled nicely on the edge of Park Square - Erbaluce's home and front door Erbaluce has a select clientele. And, although we want this wonderful bistro to be our well kept secret, we're willing to share it with you. Take the time to get to know Joan and her team. Joan's team will lead the way through Charles' splendid and always scrumptious offerings that change with the season, the evening, and his artistic whim - ask them for their recommendations and appropriate wine and cocktail pairings. Enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible experiencepberardiDined on 6/29/2014This restaurant has poor menu and terrible service.Menu is written in a terrible font very very difficult to read. Our waitress was not attentive at all, we noticed waiters brought breadsticks to tables as soon as guests arrived. Our waitress had to be asked to bring us the breadsticks. Food was left on our plates and our waitress did not even ask if there was something wrong with the dish. Espresso was horrible again our waitress didn't ask if there was anything wrong with it
- Angelic agnoliniOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/29/2014Outstanding food and service, the highlight of my last trip to Boston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect marriage of flavors!PeterRVIPDined on 6/27/2014The freshness of the ingredients and the originality of seasonings and flavors makes this place a epicurean's heaven in Italian cuisine. This place reminds me why I fell in love with family owned restaurants in Tuscany. Our waiter, Robert and owner Joan gave excellent service and are very knowlegable! I loved the the fact that instead of relying on butter and cream, the chef finds a alternative way to give the entrees/sauces a richness and heighten flavor combining different ingredients. I didn't leave the restaurant feeling like I ate too much! We traveled to Boston from New York for the weekend and now we can't wait to come back and dine at Erbaluce again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sadly DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/27/2014Place came highly recommended from a few colleagues and had good write ups but just didn't live up to it. Lobster was overly spiced and boar shoulder was very tough and chewy. I was so looking forward to this evening but it just didn't live up. Oh well.
- FlawlessNickDined on 6/27/2014The owner is the chef, and the chef is actually the chef, not a logo or marketing ploy. Every dish was executed flawlessly. We chose to go all-out, as this was a long-awaited first visit to the restaurant, and each course was better than the last. And I have to say, at the age of 51, I never ate or liked asparagus. Until Erbaluce. It was simple and sweet and my wife couldn't believe I was eating it. Just an excellent dining experience from top to bottom. And our young waitress, though relatively new and slightly unsure of some menu items (she was very quick to get the answers), helped to make it an extra-special meal with her sweet and friendly personality.Special Features:
- Perfect nightSouthEndFoodieVIPDined on 6/26/2014My boyfriend and I went here for his birthday. I had been once before and it was his first visit. The food and service are truly impeccable ! The wine list - wow. Our waitress was incredibly knowledgeable and friendly. My steak was out of this world and my boyfriends pasta so delicious. Just a perfect dining experience. Quiet and cozy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique, delicious, fresh!JDGJDined on 6/26/2014My first exposure to Erbaluce was being at the Copley Square farmers market, and noticing a man going from one produce stand to another, carefully picking out vegetables, and filling several large bags. I asked a vendor who that was, and was told that it was the chef of Erbaluce, who did this every day the market was open. We went for dinner, and Erbaluce not only met our expectations of super fresh food, but blew us away in terms of menu. Every dish we had was unique and spectacular. In a world where appetizers are often more interesting than the entrees, the entrees here were the best we've had recently. Unquestionably, the food at Erbaluce was more interesting and better than at many better-known spots around town. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful seafoodAnonymousVIPDined on 6/25/2014Perfect halibut, chilled pea soup amuse, and cheese plate.Special Features:
- Fabulous food and service!FriendVIPDined on 6/21/2014The chef takes a personal interest in each guest and came out to visit our table. Our server was very knowledgable and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic FoodJuneDined on 6/21/2014My husband has celiac disease thus he must eat a gluten-free diet. The chef is very sensitive to specific dietary requirements. He will even cook up some gluten-free bread if you let him know ahead of time. Very, very good food!Special Features:
- Sad to see changes in qualityananasVIPDined on 6/20/2014We have been coming to Erbaluce since they opened and go many times per year. They have been a favorite restaurant for us. Unfortunately our last visit was disappointing on many levels. A salad had not the freshest greens, hard pears, and hard dried out mozzeralla. One dish that was described as vegetarian on the menu came with pork in it. The dessert menu was less appealing than in the past so we did not have any.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/18/2014The food was fabulous, northern italian cuisine. The staff was very friendly and the service efficient. I would definately eat here again the next time I am in Boston.Special Features:
- Consistently fantasticAlanVIPDined on 6/15/2014Erbaluce...oh my favorite restaurant in Boston: Welcoming staff, excellent service, delicious unpretentious food. A la prochaine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ErbaluceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014We have been to Erbaluce several times, and it is consistently very good. A good menu, with daily specials; waiters who know what they are doing but are not overly enthusiastic or overbearing. A quiet atmosphere that, believe it or not, makes it possible to have a normal conversation even at a six person table. I highly recommend it to adults. My guess is that a young group, except for an important date or night out with spouse, would not like it as much as I.Special Features:
- Superb!DicksdotVIPDined on 6/14/2014Each meal was creative and delectable. My husband is still talking about the pork cheeks. Staff is knowledgeable and very well trained. Thanks for an enjoyable eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IncredibleanonymousVIPDined on 6/13/2014The food at Erbaluce is always delicious, but tonight it was really outstanding. Incredible flavors that I could never hope to recreate at home; rich without being at all heavy.Special Features:
- Beautiful food, wonderful serviceAnonymousVIPDined on 6/11/2014Erbaluce knocks my socks off every time. There are few places in Boston that come close. (I've also been to Babbo several times in New York, and while it's great, this is a superior experience.) I tried the specials, a scallop app, rabbit & veal tagliatelle, and halibut. All were amazing. Greg was at the bar and took great care of us, and steered us toward a great, affordable bottle of white. Chef came out to discuss his dishes, which we love. He's been doing this for a long time, and it's clear he's still passionate about his work and enjoys sharing his knowledge with patrons. We always leave here feeling very happy, and lucky. If you're going to splurge on food, do it here. The food is a sure thing, and the owners & staff are good people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/10/2014Everything was incredible - The food was inventive. The service exceptional - our favorite spot in BostonSpecial Features:
- Not worth the price and overchargedbostoneaterjasonDined on 6/6/2014I would not recommend this place to anyone because this restaurant charged me more than I paid for on my credit card. That is what I'd call ridiculous! The food was good and the service was nice, but nothing special from any decent restaurant. For the total price tag, the meal I had with my girlfriend was not worth it. Other Italian restaurants, such as Toscanos, are better.
- Great findjatoroDined on 6/5/2014The hostess was the sweetest person. The food was excellent!!!Special Features:
- Italian food at it's BestOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/4/2014Our experience at Erbaluce was incredible. Chef went above and beyond to make our night special and to accommodate many dietary needs. We had several members of our party with allergies and Chef took great care to make sure the dishes we ordered were not only safe but also incredible. The food was so regionally expressive of Northern Italian and the wine list had great value and unique finds. This restaurant is such a Gem in Boston and does Italian food better then anyone else in the city.Special Features:
- Another stellar experienceAnonymousVIPDined on 6/4/2014My friend and I love Erbaluce so much. The bar staff are attentive and very knowledgeable, and the wine is great. Chef often brings food to out himself, explaining what he's created. I adore his cooking. It is made with such care and creativity. There little in the way of heavy sauces and butter, so the ingredients really shine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1248 reviews are from the erbaluce reviews archive.
- Must Visit When In BostonAABenderVIPDined on 5/31/2014A monument to Piedmontese culinary traditions with an amazingly creative use of dishes and flavors. Kudos to the kitchen and Chef Draghi. The boar was worth the trip, and the Chef's four cheese (dessert) platter had the most amazing cheeses that I have ever had. The meal was memorable all around. Service was impeccable from maître d ' to bartender to busboy to waiter. Friendly, funny, helpful, professional. This restaurant is a real gem.Special Features:
- They do Everything RightnerowolfeVIPDined on 5/31/2014This is a lovely Northern Italian restaurant. The food is absolutely authentic, imaginative, and carefully executed. It isn't flashy, but they get all the pieces to work together. The husband-wife chef/front of the house owners are lovely people.Special Features:
- too badstevegVIPDined on 5/29/2014I truly wish that i could rate this restaurant with more stars. Despite very good food, the service is poor and the restaurant simply lacks something.....warmth, charm, savoir-faire ??? The food is creative and very good (halibut, raviolis) That's the good news. The service was very poor; our waiter was cavalier almost to the point of being indifferent. After a very long wait for our appetizers, we FINALLY caught his eye. He brought the salads with no explanation or apology. Despite it's food, changes will have to be made before this restaurant reaches the echelon of places to dine in Boston
- DaveLHIVIPDined on 5/27/2014Excellent food and attentive service made for a very pleasant dinner.Special Features:
- JweatsDined on 5/25/2014This was an absolutely wonderful dining experience with some very memorable and subtle flavor combinationsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet romantic atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/24/2014The food is more expensive than OpenTable suggests (I'd say $31 - $50 instead of $30 or less per person average), but it didn't throw the evening off. The restaurant's atmosphere was surprisingly refined and sophisticated. I was expecting something a lot less formal based on online information but this was a nice surprise. The food was very tasty, the dining room was small and cozy with candle-lit tables, the staff and chefs were very attentive to detail. My friend and I went after coming back from the Boston ballet and the dining experience and atmosphere provided by this restaurant made this place such a seamless and natural follow-up from the ballet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- erbalucesushiVIPDined on 5/23/2014We had a wonderful meal. We weren't rushed and we didn't feel like we were waiting for the food either. The special raviolis were superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Boston restaurantEfanDined on 5/22/2014The food at Erbaluce is, in my opinion, the best in Boston. Chef Draghi changes the menu daily to reflect the fresh food he buys locally, and prepares dishes using no butter or cream, just wonderful vegetable essences seasoned with herbs. Healthy, sophisticated, and delicious offerings, excellent service, quiet ambiance.Special Features: