Sutro's at the Cliff House
1090 Point Lobos Ave.
San Francisco, CA 94121Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
Sutro's at the Cliff House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cliffhouse.com/
- Phone: 4153863330
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30 am - 3:30 pm; Sunday 11:00 am - 3:30 pm Dinner: Every evening from 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Kevin Weber
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Jazz every Friday from 7:00pm- 11:00pm featuring local artists. Join us for drinks on the Balcony lounge or dinner in Sutro's. Thanks to our curved 2 story ceiling the acoustics are great in the restaurant.
A word from Sutro's at the Cliff House
Perched above the waves of San Francisco’s picturesque Ocean Beach the historic Cliff House is home to the stunning Sutro’s at the Cliff House restaurant. With the most spectacular ocean views in the City and contemporary American cuisine that draws heavily from the bounty of the ocean visible from every angle of the restaurant, dining at Sutro’s is the quintessential San Francisco experience. The menu features local seafood offerings like whole roasted Petrale sole, Dungeness crab, and local shellfish as well as fresh produce farmed using sustainable practices. The Cliff House also offers the more casual Bistro Restaurant (no reservations), open for breakfast, lunch and dinner and the Sunday Champagne Buffet (must phone for reservations).Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Sutro's at the Cliff House - Best Restaurants in Richmond District ›
Sutro's at the Cliff House reviews from OpenTable diners
390 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (356)special occasion (273)romantic (221)great for lunch (119)fit for foodies (116)great for brunch (82)notable wine list (60)good for groups (57)neighborhood gem (54)kid-friendly (33)hot spot (31)late-night find (8)vibrant bar scene (7)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- Ocean sideBlackmoonDined on 7/18/2014Both me and my wife loved the view and service at Cliff House. If your in SF, make this a must on your list to experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with a viewNu2OTDined on 7/18/2014First time at the Cliff House-- was not a disappointment. The view is wonderful, food and wine were good and the jazz band from upstairs provided nice background ambiance. Did not catch the sunset, due to the fog, but was still worth it!Special Features:
- Reliably good experienceDrTom53Dined on 7/18/2014I eat at Cliff House several times a year. Without fail, no matter the occasion, the experience is always quite good: food, ambiance, staff, view, and best of all, quiet enough you can have a conversation with your guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic!FoodiecoupleDined on 7/17/2014We celebrated our two year anniversary at The Cliff House and had an amazing time! The views are incredible and the food is delicious! The waitress even brought us a little dessert to celebrate and the night's menu with "Happy Anniversary" printed on it to take home. Lovely date night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous As AlwaysMarilynGDined on 7/17/2014We chose to come to Sutro's at the Cliff House for a small family reunion, which included 7 adults and one 3 year old toddler. We were seated at a large round window table, and enjoyed the view all through dinner. Our unhurried meal allowed us to talk and laugh as much as we wanted. Our granddaughter was enchanted by the view and sea life. The only disappointment for a couple of our party was that they were out of scallops. Our waiter was charming and very attentive to our needs. The food was to die for, especially the crab and artichoke ravioli, the vegetarian spring veggie basket, the duck, the ahi tartare, and the creme brûlée for dessert. Great kids menu, too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/16/2014This restaurant has amazing views. Located in a terrific spot off the Pacific Coast. Food was underwhelming tho. Thought it was just what I had ordered, but the consensus was equal around the table. Might head back to take my mom (she's been wanting to go), but won't go with an empty stomach.Special Features:
- Great View and Good FoodSFRobertDined on 7/15/2014We expected the Cliff House to be packed and full of tourists, but I guess it's far enough away from the touristy centers of North Beach and Fisherman's Wharf to be out of the way for tourists wanting dinner. If you can get window seating the view out over the ocean is great and very lovely especially at sunset. Even if you are more toward the interior of the restaurant the view is still pretty great. We asked for a window table and when one opened up we were able to move to it thanks to the accommodating staff. My food was just ok, I had the duck which was rather tough and chewy. Otherwise, nothing bad but nothing spectacular. On the Tuesday I was there they had 50% off a bottle of wine with the purchase of an entree, a nice deal.Special Features:
- Always a pleasureAnneDined on 7/15/2014We love the Cliff House. We go for all special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BreathtakingRhonoVIPDined on 7/14/2014This is one spot in San Fran that is a must! The view is breathtaking! Make your reservations in advance as the restaurant is small! The food is great as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- shelikofVIPDined on 7/13/2014"you got it" from the waiter is a turn-off. Slow service, but the view makes up for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still worth it!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/12/2014I realize the Cliff House is a cliche to most locals - but it remains a very special spot in the bay area, and the history contributes to that. We arrived early enough to walk along the gorgeous paths past the Sutro baths and towards the GG bridge. The views are so spectacular. And then to our beautiful table to watch the light change on the ocean - what's not to love? Our party just had appetizers and cocktails - still pricey but all quite delicious. We were well satisfied with our experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than just the viewChipDined on 7/12/2014Their food and service now matches the view...if that's possible. Tuna tartar off the charts. Fresh oysters cold and salty.Special Features:
- Dining experience not to be missed!Davis4joyDined on 7/12/2014My husband took me here 20 years ago on a first date. We just returned to share the experience with our teenage daughters on a trip down memory lane. We were seated immediately next to a window and treated to a first class meal in a quiet comfortable atmosphere. Let's just say our teenage daughters think we are pretty cool. Amazing views, service, and food. I know our coolness factor will be short lived, but our memory of that meal will last us a life time. Be prepared though, the experience will cost you around $50 per person without "drinks".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great viewMarygjuneDined on 7/11/2014Visit Sutro's for a great view, service, drinks and ambience. Food was good but some weak spots were crab cakes, have more tha needed breaking and crab was tasteless. Rest of food good, but the view of the Pacific is well worth the costSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnniversaryGemDined on 7/10/2014Outstanding in every way. My Crab Louie was the best I have ever had...4 different dressings hidden throughout the salad. Beautiful display. My friend had the steak and fries and was very pleased with both. Service was impeccable. Would highly recommendSpecial Features:
- Awesome food and ServiceKarlJDined on 7/9/2014Day boat scallops were the best scallops I have ever eaten. Everyone loved their meal - especially the pork chop.Special Features:
- A Delightful Experienceluv2travelDined on 7/8/2014Once again Sutro's at the Cliff House exceeded our expectations! Dick was our Waiter and always does an outstanding job. Vicki showed us to our table and took a few moments to highlight some of the original Sutro Bath photos. You can't beat the views either!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food on the CliffHappydinningVIPDined on 7/5/2014Dinning at the Cliff House was a delightful experience. The service was outstanding and the food matched the ambiance of this beautiful place. We planned our dinner to coincide with the sunset and we were happily treated to a beautiful one while enjoying wonderful food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the price for the ambienceInfrequentDinerDined on 7/5/2014I came away feeling that I had paid $150 for a wonderful experience with my wife (no alcohol purchased). However, the actual food wasn't very impressive. It was good, don't get me wrong, but at this price point ($36 for three scallops and risotto), you may expect better food. This is compensated for by the amazing views and wonderful service. SO, it was well worth it.Special Features:
- Needs To Catch-up with the TimesDinner4threeDined on 7/5/2014Food was fine, though for some reason Sutro's isn't aware that most people know the dangers of eating hormone treated farmed fish! Why not catch-up with the times and serve wild caught? - Also, making only two toilets available, requires guests to stand in line to use the restroom, which certainly steals the charm from the Sutro experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingWonderfulVIPDined on 7/5/2014The Cliff House clearly is busy just because of the view and the longevity of the restaurant. It was extremely disappointing to the snippy rude server to the over cooked pork chop to the boxed butterscotch pudding. Go and walk around the bath houses, walk the grounds of the Cliff House then go somewhere else for dinner. Completely overrated and a waste of money!
- DissatisfiedVIPDined on 7/5/2014The outstanding view, great bar staff and ability to take 7 people (I did make a reserveration) were balanced by the snootiest waiter I've encountered in years. If you want to be served by a haughty Jeeves, the butler, Demitri, is your man.Special Features:
- Enchanting!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/3/2014We had a wonderful experience at Sutro's! The table by the window allowed us to watch a lovely sunset, the food was delicious, and our waiter was terrific. The evening couldn't have been better!Special Features:
- Couldn't have been better...RogerDined on 7/3/2014The food, the selection, the ocean, the service - excellent! We'd go back in a minute!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ViewSeoulfoodsDined on 7/3/2014I thought the place was super stunning overlooking the waves and sutro baths. So would be perfect for special occassions. We went there for lunch and the crab salad was huge and tasted fine. The service for such a nice place wasn't up to par. The waiter felt very rushed and wasn't attentive. I felt like I was just at some casual busy restaurant but it wasn't even busy. However, if you want the experience of the beautiful place I would still recommend you go.Special Features:
- A evening to remember.FloridagirlDined on 7/2/2014All I can say is wow, and thank you for such a special evening. After watching the service around us I don't thing you will ever be sorry you came here.Special Features:
- Like you're dining in The Titanic!TitanticGirlDined on 7/2/2014Or some other magnificent ship, right at the edge of an iceberg, but instead of The Atlantic, The cold Pacific beneath, & given The Cliff House history, such a precarious perch indeed! The food makes it all worthwhile, luckily, however fate propels it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ocean viewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/1/2014This place was suggested by friends. Wish we had been told about the floor to ceiling windows and the ocean view. Would have scheduled an earlier reservation so we could enjoy the view. However, we still had a good hour of ocean view and the food was wonderful!!Special Features:
- Dining Plauditthepoet47Dined on 7/1/2014Out dining experience was absolutely outstanding! Everything was simply wonderful! We enjoyed a table for two window view........which was breathtaking! Our reservation was for 5pm, and there few diners at that time, so the noise level was nominal. The service was great, and the food was amazing! Absolutely one of the best dinners ever! Well worth the cost!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best meal in San Fransisco!CarolDined on 6/30/2014On honeymoon from Ireland, and on our last night in the city, we enjoyed a truly amazing meal here. The service was exceptional, the wine list amazing, and the room was very pleasant. Above all that, the food was really delicious. I'm only sorry we will not be able to come back and try the rest of the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the view, not the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/29/2014The views are amazing, the food was fine. There are far better restaurants in the city food wise, but if you have family/friends coming into town that want to experience a "SF Thing" w/ great views, you should take them here.Special Features:
- billcDined on 6/29/2014Wife had fish which looked and tasted good. I had the Thai Boulbaise which was so-so, not much shellfish and a lot of broth. Bread was excellent. Prices a bit steep for what we had, but service was good.Special Features:
- Fabulous Views and Great FoodDow59Dined on 6/29/2014Sutro's at Cliff House offered a wonderful alternative to brunch in the main dining room. In fact, even with our selections and a nice bottle of champagne, we did it for less without compromising on anything. We had a nice table against the windows that provided a fabulous view of seal rock and the ocean. Service was exceptional and we all enjoyed our lunch selections. We particularly liked the crab Louis and the ravioli. Thoroughly enjoyable experience that we will do again the next time we are in SF.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014An perfect experience. Everything from the cocktails to the dessert. The staff was top notch and the food was perfect. I cannot thing of a single thing I'd change about my experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- View is SpectacularSmileyFaceDined on 6/28/2014The view is spectacular and worth going there just for that reason. The Steak Frites was delicious and do recommend it for lunch. Everyone in our group had something different, such as the trout sandwich, and enjoyed what they had. Even though it was busy, the noise level was such that you could talk and be heard. I was surprised though that there wasn't another pasta dish other than ravioli and no hamburger was on the menu which you usually expect when you go out to lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great view..be careful of fog?TiffanyDined on 6/27/2014The food was expensive but incredible. We really enjoyed t. However, the reason we were will to pay so much was bc of the view. Unfortunately, the fog was so dense that we couldnt see a thing! The food still was really good, but we probably wouldn't have gone if we realized about fog before hand. Service was great and history of bath house was cool.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very accomodating serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/27/2014I had a 7pm reservation, my dining partner was 30 minutes late, and the staff was very understanding and accommodating. Wait staff was very attentive without being overly obtrusive. Spectacular view. The food was excellent; my salmon was perfectly cooked, and the desert we split was very rich and chocolate without being overly sweet. The view can be hit and miss because of the fog, this particular night it was very thick, but it was very mysterious as small flocks of seabirds would suddenly appear gliding by outside the window, only to disappear again. There was a jazz group playing upstairs at the lounge, very talented: We did not have time to take them in but I'm sure the view, the music, half an hour and an Irish Coffee would be swell.Special Features:
- Dinner at Sutro'sEssEffGrlDined on 6/26/2014Had a wonderful time entertaining guests at Sutro's. We were impressed with the service from everyone. The food was magnificent. It was a great, simple menu. The desert was delicious. The view was great. The manager even got us a ride back the Fisherman's Wharf, so thank you! My relatives will be telling their friends in New York about it.Special Features:
- Over rated seaside viewing stationGreatDined on 6/26/2014This restaurant (s) has a great location for sunset viewing unless it is foggy which is frequent in SF area The food is good not great with minimal vegetarian choices. The staff is friendly and try and accommodate requests. It is pretty far from downtown or fisherman's wharf. Need a carSpecial Features:
- Hold the fog!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/26/2014The restaurant's history attracts locals and guests, but given the price of the food, and unfortunately, a view of dense fog, it is not a place I will return to. We are used to paying for expensive meals, but the lack of view, a downstairs room with ambience with extremely high prices lended itself to an unmemorable meal. In fact, we've had more conversations about the price and lack of view than the food quality. Too bad for the chef, as the food probably was good, but not for an extreme price. We didn't realize that the main floor was a bar. We would have rather eaten dinner in the bar where there is an environment full of historical artifacts.Special Features: