1606 North Main St.
Walnut Creek, CA 94596Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ottavio-osteria.com/
- Phone: 9259308008x
- Hours of Operation:
Pranzo (Lunch): By request
Cena (Dinner): Monday-Thursday 5:00PM - 9:30PM
Friday and Saturday 5:00PM - 10:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Modern European, Italian
- Executive Chef: Valentino Luchin
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Catering available upon request and consultation.
- Private Party Facilities: The intimate atmosphere and exclusively designed menus make OTTAVIO the perfect venue for your private party! With the open kitchen as OTTAVIO's heart and soul, Executive Chef/Owner Valentino Luchin will delight and entertain guests as he passionately prepares innovative cuisine from his Veneto region. As a wonderful alternative to off-site catering, OTTAVIO is perfect for a restaurant buy out, accommodating 30-50 guests. Join us for an extraordinary private dining experience!
- Private Party Contact: Michele Luchin 9259308008x
A word from Ottavio
OTTAVIO, an Osteria from the Veneto region of Northern Italy, embraces culinary traditions innovatively interpreted by renowned native Executive Chef Valentino Luchin. House-cured wild boar, duck, and venison prosciuttos - earthy sugos - smoked fish and chops - fresh daily made pastas, gnocchi, and bread - and an ever changing seasonal bounty of local product are key elements in our delectable dining experience. Nestled in on bustling North Main, OTTAVIO's open kitchen is the heart and soul of our warm and intimate Osteria. We welcome you to join us and see for yourself what this award-winning and acclaimed establishment is all about!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Ottavio - Best Restaurants in Walnut Creek ›
Ottavio reviews from OpenTable diners
50 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (34)neighborhood gem (33)special occasion (26)romantic (21)notable wine list (8)good for groups (7)hot spot (4)late-night find (2)great for lunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- First time dining at thisSherbearVIPDined on 12/18/2013First time dining at this hidden gem for 4 of us. Very impressive varied menu. Dinners were nicely presented, with good portions, and all were quite good. Can't believe we haven't been here before, but we'll definitely return. It's a small restaurant, easy to miss, but worth the effort to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok but not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/17/2013After reading all these great reviews online I expected a wonerful experience. What we got was an empty restaurant. Our host/waiter/cook/owner seemed nice but it seemed like it took a long time for our food given nobody was there. Atmosphere seemed kinda sterile. Food was decent. Probably not going back.
- You'll like this bistro-like gemSheafeDined on 12/16/2013Attentive service, excellent menu inclusive of a range of Italian dishes. The four of us made different selections . All came nicely prepared and presented. We shared plates and enjoyed them all. The wine list offers mostly Italian wines, moderately priced. Since the restaurant has only about 15 tables all within a small space, the noise level can be a problem. But, we'll not be hesitant about returning to Ottavio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- my birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 12/7/2013the Papardelle and the rabbit were amazing mentioned my birthday on reservation, restaurant never acknowledged it hostess was extremely friendly with patrons behind us, after seating us, never said another word to usSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great surpriseLetsEatVIPDined on 11/26/2013Decided to try a new restaurant with out of town friends and we were delighted. My veal with truffles was excellent. The swordfish was perfectly done and the ricotta gnocchi was delicious. We started with salads that were all good and very large. We shared a chocolate dessert that we all agreed was yummy. Waiter Joel was very helpful and attentive. Definitely a place I will go back to dine. Full bar and nice selection of Italian wines. Go! Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/16/2013Went there for the first time to celebrate a birthday. Started with the cheese and prosciutto appetizer. The cheese was so smooth and creamy and the saltiness of the thinly slice prosciutto complimented perfectly. Our party had the veal chop, rigatoni with a duck sumo, risotto with butternut squash, and cheese gnocchi. Each meal was well prepared with a good balance of flavors. The service was attentive without being intrusive. The prices are not inexpensive, but we felt it was a good value for the quality of the meal and service we had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FamiiarityBroadwayDined on 11/13/2013Been here many times. Always pleases. Remarkable and creative (but not odd) menu. Superbly prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sadly, just meh.smithoutVIPDined on 11/9/2013The menu is really wonderful and interesting, but the execution is varied. We ordered a tomato carpaccio with burrata and gnocchi with duck for appetizers, which were very good. However, two of the main dishes were sent back for poor taste and lukewarm temps. In addition, our lamb sirloins, which were ordered medium rare, came out tough and medium plus. We left the lamb on our plates, but did enjoy the vegetable sides, which were cooked especially well. We are repeat customers (6+ times), and this is the second time that our food has been inconsistent. Sadly, with the main chef away, the food is just not as good. I think we will pass on this restaurant in the future unless the head chef returns from abroad.Special Features:
- Great food as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/8/2013The restaurant was surprisingly quiet, it is usually so busy. Food was excellent as always. We had a great time, the service was good. Loved the burrata cheese - melt in your mouth. House cured boar, venison and smoked duck was delicious, great mustards to go with. Really enjoy Ottavio.Special Features:
- The food was outstanding andSparkyDined on 11/8/2013The food was outstanding and the service was excellent. This is a smallish venue and previously the noise was extreme, but this time it was a little earlier and it was rather quiet - quite enjoyable actually. The menu has a good variety of dishes for all tastes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had an excellent meal atOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/6/2013We had an excellent meal at Ottavio for our 20th wedding anniversary. Our server was friendly and knowledgeable. Food was outstanding. Best dish was the speck risotto.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed...FoodieVIPDined on 10/23/2013Very disappointed in our food. Arugula salad was wilted, soggy, and had no peppery snap. Rabbit polenta dish was soupy, had very overbooked vegetables and lacked seasoning. Wine list is Italian and one of the most expensive wines by the glass was bland (perhaps the bottle was leftover from the evening before?). We had a very nice and attentive waiter.
- Personally, I didn"t caresomanyplacessolittletimeDined on 9/25/2013Personally, I didn"t care for the sardines. But everything else was delicious, as always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnniversaryWCDaveDined on 9/13/2013My wife is a gourmet cook and an Italian food snob. She loves Ottavio and requested it for our 38th wedding anniversary. That says it all.Special Features:
- I'll go back again!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/11/2013This was my 2nd time dining at Ottavio and if anything, the food was better this time! Everything was fresh and properly prepared. The choices on the menu although not lengthy have enough breadth to satisfy everyone's taste. The goat milk pannacotta with coffee/chocolate "sauce" was awesome...the tart of the goat offset the sweet perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food is always deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/17/2013The food is always delicious and the waiter is always so helpful in deciding what to order. The bread is super fresh and the food never dissapoints!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Italian food in Walnut CreekOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/10/2013We enjoyed a lovely summer dinner at Ottavio. Their menu has a variety of fresh tasting Italian appetizers and entrees that don't often appear on many Italian restaurant menus. The Caprese salad was appealing to both the eyes and the taste buds. The scallops were cooked perfectly and the fish entree tasted amazing with just the right amount of flavoring. The staff was knowledgeable and kept our water glasses full with fruit-flavored water! They don't serve California wines but they do have a good Italian wine list. We think it is comparable with the better Italian restaurants in San Francisco without having to cross the Bay Bridge!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Walnut Creek's Best Kept Secret!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/26/2013Excellent yet different Italian not for the gastsronomically timid! Wonderful resturant now on our "special-places" list!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very tasty foodSunnySandyVIPDined on 7/19/2013The food was excellent and the service, too. Not many people dining but we had an early reservation. Parking is very difficult.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The service was excellent;maggiefiDined on 7/11/2013The service was excellent; however, the food as a whole was a let down. While the appetizers, bread and pesto spread were very tasty, my entree (the scallop special) was extremely overcooked to the point of being hard and rubbery. I had to send it back and instead got the grouper, which was much better but slightly overcooked. The grouper was also supposed to have artichokes served with it, which it did not. One of the main reasons I ordered the dish (as a substitute for the scallops) was because I love artichokes:( My boyfriend ordered the gnocchi, which was extremely rich and creamy--it seemed more like a winter than summer dish. Also, it was supposed to be served with duck, but we were wondering if it was pork instead.
- Excellent as always. We reallyPHcoupleVIPDined on 6/23/2013Excellent as always. We really enjoy our dinners at Ottavio. Great pasta and creative Venetian cuisineSpecial Features:
- The food was well preparedOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/17/2013The food was well prepared and fresh. Two of the small plates make a nice meal. I had the Heirloom Tomato and Buratta Salad alond with a Scallop appetizer that was very fresh and very filling. The only caution I would have is that if you are looking for more traditional Italian food, this is not your spot, but I loved the food and the many choices as did my dining partners.Special Features:
- Nice placePlateheadVIPDined on 6/16/2013Very good appetizers but main dish, fish, was good but a bit salty, very accommodating staff
- OttavioOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/15/2013It's a lovely spot but the food was not very good. Starting with my wife's drink (not mixed properly) and on to her salad (wilted greens) and then my main course which was served in a very heavy sauce masking the meat's flavor we were disappoint6ed. While the servings were quite generous the preparation was not up to par.
- Authentic Italian foodDWatkinsDined on 6/15/2013We enjoyed our meal. The heirloom tomatoes were fantastic! The menu seemed more of a Fall offering but good. All in all a good meal!Special Features:
- Great night out!likestotrynewplacesDined on 6/1/2013Everything was great! We tried the beef carpaccio, swordfish carpaccio, and caprese salad for appetizers and they were all fabulous. The bread was super fresh and the entree were delicious. Service was fantastic and the cocktails were fun. My only complaint would be the heat. We were under a fan so it was bearable but the place was still pretty warm. Thanks for a marvelous night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So underratedEricaBVIPDined on 5/29/2013I've been to Ottavio several times now and the food is consistently excellent. When my father insisted on bringing me 'real' food after I had my baby boy, Ottavio's Seafood Bigoli was my request (my husband is in love with their Wild Boar Sugo.) We eat out a lot, and this is definitely one of the best restaurants in Walnut Creek. I don't know why this place isn't busier than it is - it should be slammed every weekend, just like Va de Vie. I love to see small, family-run businesses like this succeed, so I tell everyone about it. It really is worth trying - you won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian Gem in Walnut CreekDeniseDined on 5/26/2013Great place many people have missed because they didn't see it. Tucked into the space next to the Stadium Pub is a quiet, intimate dining space offering amazing Northern Italian food. Highly recommend the wild boar sugo. The special flavored sodas are a great accompaniment if you don't opt for a wine from their small, but select list. Choose a window seat for people watching or back in the restaurant for a quieter, more private dining option.Special Features:
- A taste of Italy in Walnut CreekGuiseppeVIPDined on 5/26/2013We are always happy when we dine at Ottavio. Truly, the food brings us back to some of the best meals we've had in Italy. We particularly like the appetizers and salads and often order several and make a meal of them for the 2 of us. The wait staff is very helpful and attentive. And it's pleasantly quiet....not one of those places where you have to lean in to hear what your companion is saying.Special Features:
- Great as ever. Food twiceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/18/2013Great as ever. Food twice as good and half the cost as Prima which is only 1/2 block away.Special Features:
- Nice atmosphere, So So food.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/17/2013The seafood dish had an overtone of iodine, with a musty flavor that was not enjoyable. I asked to sub the rice for pasta and was charged an extra $4, not being told there was an upcharge. The pasta was thick and tough. My husband had the Kobe beef which was probably not Kobe as it was a little tough. His sauce was good though. There was only one Chardonnay to "choose" from on the wine list so I would say is a bit limited. The meal for two was $100. A bit pricey. We ordered one salad, two entrees and two glasses of wine. No dessert or appetizer and only the one salad. Overall we would not return.Special Features:
- ExcellentCcccadyDined on 5/16/2013The roasted duck and polenta was delicious. I have already recommended Ottavio to all of my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food is delicious, serviceEager2enjoyVIPDined on 5/12/2013The food is delicious, service very good and the ambiance very pleasant. I will definitely return and recommend to my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedRover6caDined on 5/12/2013Very limited menu for those with food problems. Food was in appealing looking. I will not return to this restaurant.
- Family GemChingVIPDined on 5/12/2013We were there for mothers day, and my children were surprised how good and fresh the food especially the nocchiSpecial Features:
- best italian place in walnut creek!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 5/3/2013Good and interesting menu nice ambiance, and good loocation. I found the dishes and preparation were interesting and very well prepared, this contrasts with the sameness of many italian places. Its actually hard to find good quality restaurant food in Walnut Creek and we appreciate this place.Special Features:
- as ever, simply greatOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/29/2013Basic Italian faire executed with skill and imagination. We love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingSpudVIPDined on 4/27/2013Been to Ottavio twice in the past and totally enjoyed it. However, this time was quite disappointing. Out of the four entrees ordered, only one was not over-the-top salty. Also noticed when leaving that the name of the chef on the business card was not Ottavio, but someone else.....new owner with different seasoning habits perhaps?
- We try new restaurants inLuvtoeatDined on 4/27/2013We try new restaurants in WC every time we have Lesher Center tix. I am still amazed that we find hidden gems. We will definitely be back. The food was delicious. The party of 4 all felt the same!Special Features:
- THe foof was just about theOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/25/2013THe foof was just about the best I have ever had,very rich and filling so I had enough left for lunch the next daySpecial Features: