One if by Land, Two if by Sea
17 Barrow St.
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
One if by Land, Two if by Sea
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.oneifbyland.com/
- Phone: 2122558649x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thurs: 5:30pm - 9:30 pm Friday & Saturday: 5:30 - 11:15 pm Sunday Brunch 11:30am - 2:00 pm Sunday Dinner: 5:15pm - 9:30 pm Bar opens at 4:00pm daily
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Colt Taylor
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: One if by Land offers private dining for dinners and Sunday brunches. Contact email@example.com for more details.
- Private Party Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org 2122558649x
- Entertainment: Live piano music Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays, Mondays, & Wednesdays
Jazz duo Tuesdays, Thursdays, Weekend Brunches
- Special Events: One if by Land can be utilized for weddings, birthday celebrations, anniversary parties, film shoots, and more. Please contact the restaurant.
A word from One if by Land, Two if by Sea
Fine dining in a landmark Greenwich Village carriage house. Dinner 7 nights a weeks, Weekend Jazz brunch from 11:30 am-2:00 pm, Casual Dining at the Bar. Private dining available for parties of 15 and larger.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
One if by Land, Two if by Sea - Best Restaurants in Greenwich Village ›
One if by Land, Two if by Sea reviews from OpenTable diners
198 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
romantic (160)special occasion (134)fit for foodies (66)neighborhood gem (66)notable wine list (45)great for brunch (15)scenic view (15)good for groups (14)vibrant bar scene (12)late-night find (10)hot spot (8)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Great Date Spot in the VillageJoJoDined on 8/15/2014My wife and I wanted to celebrate our 3rd wedding anniversary at a nice, romantic restaurant. After searching some local foodie websites, I quickly noticed that One if by Land was featured on multiple top 10 lists; so we decided to give it a try. Our experience was wonderful. The food was delicious, the service was great, and the atmosphere was truly unique. Nestled in the middle of Greenwich Village, the restaurant occupies an old Carriage House that leaves a sense that you're dining in a piece of colonial history. Our server, Moon, was very friendly and engaging. He even brought us a complimentary dessert with the words "Happy Anniversary" spelled out in chocolate. I highly recommend One if by Land, Two if by Sea.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great meal ans settingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/15/2014When here for our second anniversary and were treated very nicely. Very good food and attentive staff. Not cheap by any means, but you get what you pay for. We would definately come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ambience; so-so foodAnotherReviewerDined on 8/15/2014For a moderately priced romantic restaurant in the city, the ambience is great. The staff, also, were wonderful. The food was the weak spot ... Left me less than impressed. Not bad, but nothing that's likely to seriously impress a sophisticated diner. (Hate to say it, but it's true!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Opportunity missedOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/14/2014I have he the distinct pleasure of dining at this wonderful restaurant on several occasions. It has always been one of my all time favorites. This past Thirsday night, I made a reservation for a friend and me and was very excited to have another memorable evening of great wines, fabulous food and splendid service. The wine was exceptional as was the food. However, the service experience fell far below expectations from both the reception desk to a very disinterested waiter. Very disappointing. When I made a comment to the reception desk lady as I was departing, I was disappointed again in her complete lack of interest or concern about the service experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They know your nameShikaraVIPDined on 8/14/2014Walk in and be welcomed as an old friend. Sit down to a wonderful meal, usually opened with a tiny portion of a wonderful cold soup no matter what you order. The food is fantastic. The service impeccable. It is an occasion no matter what the occasion.Special Features:
- Amazing!JaimePDined on 8/10/2014We went on the recommendation of a friend and were more then ecstatic with everything! The food was outstanding, the service was perfect, and area was magical! Will definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romanticuncle55Dined on 8/10/2014nice place to take that special someone in your life.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 18 Anniversary and will return!7heavenDined on 8/9/2014Jewel for those who don't want the city view or central park but the food was fantastic and location historic. My Wife and I were in NYC for our 18th anniversary and looking for a special place to eat. Neither of us prefers the big night city view, the food is much more important to us. We were so excited to come. Rated as a top most romantic places to eat and it was. LOVED the Beef Wellington. Would also recomend the Scallops. The desserts were also great, just wished there was a little more. Our Hostess helped us find just the right table, we moved 3 times before ordering. For us by far the most romantic is a table next to the Garden. We luckily landed one. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic SpotDoc255VIPDined on 8/9/2014Romantic restaurant with old world charm. All the food we ordered was Okay but too salty for our taste. Nothing I would rush back for more!Special Features:
- romantic dinnerjerseyDined on 8/8/2014Ambiance was nice food was good ... service ould have been better ... felt like we kept waiting to be asked what we wanted to drink .. waited to be given the menu and the bill ...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never gets old!StephaneDined on 8/8/2014We were back 6 years later for our anniversary and it was good to be back. Although I must say the good was good but not as great as I remembered it, the service was exceptional ! The lady at the entrance put us at the table that we did not really like so I asked her to change and she came back and put us at the table where we were 6 years ago next to the window. She was very sweet and was very attentive to us. On top of that we had Moon. He was phenomenal. Great advices, not intrusive but present enough to make it a special night for us . Overall a great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- raw salmonOctopusDined on 8/3/2014I had a delicious monkfish which was perfectly balanced. My wife on the other hand had a salmon which was raw inside. When we confronted the server we were told that the chef serves the salmon medium rare. Having prepared the salmon myself I know that depending on the thickness of the filet you need to adjust the broil time. It is to bad that the ego of the chef does not allow any mistakes. Broiled or steamed what's the difference? If it is not what the costumer expected then we can say that the chef intended it that way. The menu does not say that the salmon is served medium rare. Most of the dishes served are probably good but for the price it is not really worth a risk of being disappointed on that special evening.Special Features:
- Lovely!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/2/2014Highly recommend for a romantic dinner for two. They even brought out a special anniversary treat in the end. Must go back!Special Features:
- Olde World Charm in NYCnycginoDined on 8/2/2014This is the most romantic restaurant I have ever been to and I had a most enjoyable time there. The ambiance takes you back in time and the beautiful piano music in the back-ground was heaven sent. It is an olde world atmosphere here, like being back in Europe again. This is top-notch to take your someone special to. Romance rules!Special Features:
- scottcDined on 7/26/2014A special place for a special evening dinner. This is not a restaurant for the casual diner or someone looking to work on a budget, it is costly, but very elegant and appropriate for a nice dining experience. The diners surrounding us were all seemingly enjoying someplace out of the hustle and bustle normally associated with Manhattan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great and romanticJfabDined on 7/25/2014One If By Land is a great spot for a special occasion or a beautiful date night. Top notch drink menu, with obviously good to boot. But a wonderful landmark gem located in the west village .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- eveningoutVIPDined on 7/24/2014Great service from the moment we walked inside. This is a special restaurant with a charming garden area. Food delicious and service excellent. We look forward to our return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food, quaint ambianceBrookieDined on 7/20/2014We had the black bass and beef Wellington and both were amazing. Very friendly and professional staff and the historic building and soft lighting are very romantic. Great for groups or for a date spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not for FoodiessnobbyfoodieDined on 7/20/2014For a $400 meal for 3 people, the food should have been outstanding, and it was not. Your money is better spent at other fine dining establishments. I'm not sure why people come to this place, because besides the food being just okay, the service was definitely sub-standard. First, a soup appetizer arrived with no spoon. Then when entrees arrived at our table, they had not replaced our silverware. Additionally, we only had 3 courses, and yet service took over 2 hours for our dinner. I'm used to 2-3 hour dinner, but where we have more than 3 courses. Food tasted okay and was very slow to come out. Service was subpar. For $400, it should be an outstanding meal, and it was simply an ordinary "home-cooked" meal.
- Elegant BrunchJuliaMasiVIPDined on 7/20/2014If you are looking for an elegant spot to host a brunch or party then go straight to One If By Land Two If By Sea and book a table by the window. The food is sumptuous and the garden view will make you feel like are vacationing in the Enchanted Forest. And the iced latte's are the best in city.Special Features:
- bestdinerbestdinerVIPDined on 7/19/2014Our second time to1BL2BS... My birthday... The hostess made sure we got our garden seat and asked to move us.. Thanks! I wasn't too thrilled on the paella.. It was bland and under cooked.. Other than that the experience was wonderful!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very RomanticBigMacDined on 7/19/2014Excellent Service with even better food! My wife and I had the Chef's tasting menu and it was without a doubt the best dining experience of my life.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding serviceOneIfFanDined on 7/17/2014While we loved the ambience and thought the service was outstanding, the menu was too "precious." Except for the Beef Wellington, most of the other things were peculiar - not awful - but too experimental to know whether we liked them or not.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/15/2014In such a great and pricey restaurant, the service cannot and should not be anything less than brilliant. I experienced an inattentive, uninterested, tired waiter who could not wait to see how much tip he got. Not very classy. The live music/ambience was great, and the food was good (though not excellent). The price for the food does not match the quality. The ambience would be the only reason to come back.Special Features:
- SpecialOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/15/2014Took some out of town guests here, who raved about the beef wellington. Always romantic and full of stories at One if by Land... (who wouldn't want to check out Aaron Burr's carriage house?) A gorgeous and romantic institution of a restaurant.Special Features:
- Place to make memories....luckybumDined on 7/11/2014The ambiance is SUPERB! Romance is in the air...the staff s attentive and professional. The food is good. I recommend the Tasting Menu. This is the place to get engaged or really impress some one you want!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey but worth it.Luv2eatVIPDined on 7/11/2014Rather than appetizer, salad etc. this menu is small plates, medium, large and to share. We ordered two medium and one large to share. We are on low carb diets..(stupid to eat out...we know). But none the less they were very accommodating. Extra veggies instead of grits or potatoes. The scallops were the best I've ever had, my husband said the steak was good. We shared the lobster. It was good. The service was excellent.the place is pretty and flowers lovely. All in all a lovely evening.Special Features:
- Horrendously bad food experienceAviEatsOutVIPDined on 7/9/2014Sad that one of the city's most romantic restaurants has just failed on all levels. The lack of customers in the bar and the dining room showed that clearly the place has been on decline for a long time. Frankly, it is not even worth my time to say how horrendous it was in great detail but almost every dish went back and the ones we kept were because we were starving. Nice to know I kept the tabule and my date paid a fortune for it. He liked the peas and we are not a vegetarians. dump dump dump .....never going back.
- JenniferA1dineDined on 7/7/2014So exclusive they only have the address in front of the restaurant. Very classy with piano playing when you first walk in. Main meal was delicious and beautifully prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Escape by land or sea.abnrgrfoodieVIPDined on 7/5/2014Been many years since going to OIBLTIBS & it was not close to what it was in beauty, food, service, overall experience. Disappointing.
- Would not go again for the food ...Brooklyn77Dined on 7/5/2014It is just a wonderful restaurant, nice ambiance and great service. What we especially liked is the quiet atmosphere as you do not need to scream when you want to have a conversation, however, and most important, the food did not impress us much. It sounds sophisticated on the menu, looks good on the plate, but tasted boring and we would not go again for the food. The lobster papardelle were ok, but we also had monk fish, starters and dessert... The bar is nice and good for a drink! We were a party of four and would not recommend going there again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/3/2014Food excellent, slightly quirky environment, almost Adams-family like. Service with a hint of sinister potential lurking. A good evening nonethelessSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentFine4DinningDined on 7/3/2014There are not enough words in any language sufficient enough to adequately describe this restaurant. Excellent would be a good start. I now understand why it is consistently voted most romantic restaurant in the New York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very nice,OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/1/2014waiter a little inexperienced, should be able to intimately describe menu, not open it in front of guest and point out this or that. cocktail glass had crack in it. ordered a Kir (white burgunday and creme de cassis), told him that, but received a Kir Royale (sparkling with chambord). Good but not what I ordered. No pre fix in the summer and I had been on website so was looking forward to that. One of our guests raved over the appetizers and the octopus was also good. The signature Beef Wellington was very flavorful, but a true smear of sweet potato and a couple of young vegetables, could have been highlighted a lot moreSpecial Features:
- nice evening, cocktails, but priceypeteDined on 6/28/2014romantic dinner for two. we shared their signature dish - beef wellington. added some appetizers, side dishes, a couple of cocktails, and one dessert. $300 with the tip. other than the price, we enjoyed and left very full.Special Features:
- Don't be Suckered In by this PlacePoppedbubbleDined on 6/28/2014Another fancy joint that thinks so highly of its own glowing reviews that they serve up mediocre food that is vastly over-priced in a noisy environment with inattentive service. The best thing about this place was the bread guy and the water guy, we received the most value of the night for my money. The food from the smallest, slightly small and small tiered menu at outrageous, more outrageous and most outrageous prices is pure theft. Most of those Google reviews I believe are a load of cognitive dissonance, rationalization for beings suckers. Don't you be one.
- Always a delightful experience!KellenDined on 6/28/2014One if by Land, Two if by Sea is tucked away off Bleecker Street. It is a romantic spot with mood lighting, a live pianist, and nice decor. Come here for great food and service. I would highly recommend this restaurant for a special occasion.Special Features:
- EnchantingOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/27/2014I was dining alone, but even though One If By Land Was a "romantic" place, I felt comfortable and well cared for. Food was delicious and inventive (the little slice of pickled rhubarb on each raw oyster ahas inspired). I shall return, next time with my Main Squeeze.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3 if you like mediocre food.OTVIPVIPDined on 6/27/2014First time diner here. We enjoyed the ambiance of the room, not the food on our plates. I had their steak. It was prepared as I ordered , but the quality of the beef was poor. Very chewy and dry with no taste. The salad I ordered was warm and the utensils were hot to the touch right from the dishwasher. My date had the frog legs which were quite good. My favorite restaurant is Minetta Tavern. This could be my new favorite, if the food is better my next visit. I'll give it another chance in hopes that my poor meal was just a first time fluke.Special Features:
- Charming Romantic & Shh Overpriced.bruceDined on 6/26/2014We all know it's romantic. My oysters on the half shell were room temp...maybe that brings out the flavor? I prefer them bracingly cold. And the Beef Wellington is everything you've heard, but a bit overpriced at $55.00. Staff is lovely. You won't go wrong here, but it's not a cymbal clash, exactly.Special Features: