The Frog and Turtle
3 Bridge Street
Westbrook, ME 04092Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
The Frog and Turtle
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thefrogandturtle.com/
- Phone: 207-591-4185
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 9:00am -1:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 9:30pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Barbecue
- Executive Chef: James Tranchemontagne
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Contact: James or Sasha 207 591 4185
- Entertainment: Wednesdays: Live music from 7:30 to 10:00pm Thursday: Tony Boffa Trio 7 to 9:30pm Friday: Friday Night Music Show 9 to 11 lot of great local acts.
A word from The Frog and Turtle
What is a gastro pub?” Gastronomy is the study of preparing and consuming food. A pub is a neighborhood spot for affordable food and good times. When you combine the two you get a neighborhood spot with a focus on food prepared from scratch with fresh ingredients.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerComfort Food
The Frog and Turtle - Best Restaurants in Westbrook ›
The Frog and Turtle reviews from OpenTable diners
49 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (33)fit for foodies (31)great for brunch (21)good for groups (17)special occasion (17)vibrant bar scene (7)hot spot (7)late-night find (6)romantic (6)notable wine list (5)kid-friendly (5)great for lunch (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- A Favorite!SacMbcVIPDined on 11/23/2013When in Westbrook...our favorite dining spot is The Frog & Turtle. Great menu full of comfort food and fun atmosphere with wonderful service. You can't go wrong!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/22/2013I recommend this restaurant for any occassion. Great food, have yet to be even slightly disappointed in the food. Favorite place to go.
- F&T gets great marks, as always!KingsterDined on 11/16/2013I've never had a bad meal at the Frog and Turtle. James and his crew make some of finest meals I've had in the Portland area. If you haven't made it here, you should definitely put it at the top of your list!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!ZoeTDined on 11/14/2013Great food! Was VERY impressed with the spicy seafood stew special! VERY full of seafood! Live band played while we ate. Will go back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Staff and Ambiance.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/9/2013We have been to the F&T several times as it is a lively kid friendly bistro with a good atmosphere. The staff are fantastic - keen to help, and it caters to families, aswell as couples on romantic nights. They often have live music and the bar is a great place to sit and watch the hours tick away! The food is good and comes in generous portions. The only drawback to this place are the appallingly long wait times - nearly 90 minutes from ordering, to the food arriving! The kids were OK and we know it takes a long time but have seen families get up and leave in the past. Didn't really bother us as we were expecting it. Not many other places in the area so this sticks out as a good night - Good place - highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Frog and the what?PickyVIPDined on 10/20/2013Despite the unusual name, I don't think they serve either one. We went for brunch. It was standard fare, good and well-priced. I had eggs, potatoes and toast. What's different about them is that they serve several varieties of donuts, cooked to order. My favorite was the jelly, which was raspberry, and I don't typically like jelly donuts. We also had a seasonal pumpkin cream, which was good. The only negative thing about the place was that it took forever ( about 45-60 minutes) to get our food, and the place was nearly deserted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As always, the food is excellentSacogalDined on 10/13/2013As always, the food is excellent and well worth the trip. The Gip is wonderful and the French Toast is heavenly! Be careful when ordering drink specials, though. We had 4 people in our party and ordered a total of 7 drinks, which landed us a $160.00 bill for bunch. Yikes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect anniversary setting!MadfishDined on 10/12/2013Highly recommended for anyone looking for a great meal with great people!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good all be it an2bspldVIPDined on 9/28/2013Food was good all be it a bit overpriced. Everything is cooked to order however, taking this into account, service is still a bit slow and lacking, including on drink service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- another pleasant eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/27/2013The frog and Turtle has been the go-to choice for special occasions over the years. Birthdays, our engagement, anniversaries and I even went into Labor there. We've had consistently good service and the fact that each dish is made to order allows the staff to meet our requests regarding dietary restrictions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always good. We both had dinnerEmellaDined on 9/18/2013Always good. We both had dinner salads ... a little expensive but fresh and yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love frog & turtle and haveStamarisDined on 9/17/2013Love frog & turtle and have recommended it to many!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- favorite brunch !!!!ScottparkerVIPDined on 9/15/2013When ever I'm in town I make sure to visit this restaurant. Wait staff is incredible and energetic. I can't say it enough, outstanding !!!Special Features:
- The salmon entrée and themrecDined on 9/14/2013The salmon entrée and the special trout entrée of the day were exquisite. Even the bread in the bread basket was delicious and homemade.Special Features:
- Wonderful Birthday CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/13/2013Balloons awaited my birthday girl at our favorite table. Food, service and music... can't get enough of "our" place. Thanks James!Special Features:
- Another really nice visitWstbrkMikeVDined on 8/30/2013F&T has been in the neighborhood for a long time. James is one of those people who obviously adores his community and his commitment to it is beyond clear. My wife and I decided to stop back for the charcuterie plate. It's always a tasty treat and our server clearly took pride in the kitchen as she described the evening's offerings. At her suggestion we added the Salmon tartare which was delicious. Our cocktails, Lemon meringue and their Bourbon Smash were just what we needed to make a simple evening out into an event. We also added one of the flatbreads (chicken, brie and mushrooms) which we both agreed we could probably skip. The flatbread was fine. It just wasn't special. We're going back on Wednesday for 50 cent wing night & cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SLOW servicefoodieVIPDined on 8/29/2013The food was very good. And, once we got our order in, things did move along. My problem with this place is always (we have been there at least 4 times) the service, especially initially. We were seated immediately, but then sat there for over 20-25 minutes before a waitress even came to take a drink order. Then another 10-15 for the drinks and to take our food order. The food came out relatively quickly comparatively, I guess. I don't blame the kitchen, put it that way. We were there well over 2 hours for a salad and an entree, 2 drinks. This happens every time we've been there over the past 3 years, we only go there now when there is music we want to hear as we know we are going to be there for a few hours.Special Features:
- A FavoriteSacMbcVIPDined on 8/24/2013The Frog & Turtle is one of our favorite restaurants! We are always guaranteed a relaxing, delicious dining experience. My all time favorite is the chicken crepe, so I ordered that and my husband ordered the duck special of the evening. We both loved our meal and Sarah took good care of us. We will definitely go back!Special Features:
- Slow with very uncomfortable seatsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2013I appreciate the effort needed for handmade, fresh food but it took way too long. We had 6 pm reservations and didn't leave until 8:40 pm. We only had salads, entrees and dessert. (With young children, we purposely made an early reservation so we could be home early.) The chairs are straight back, hard wooden chairs with no cushions. Extremely uncomfortable for that long.
- Always fun!ClaraDined on 8/9/2013We always have a great time at the Frog and Turtle. I can trust that my food will be great, my drinks will be fantastic, and the server will be happy and accommodating!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Westbrook GemOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/9/2013After attending an opening at the Saccarappa Gallery, our group walked right around the corner to the Frog and Turtle. Fantastic service and fun, artful atmosphere. Very friendly staff. Food was superb and the band was great. It was difficult to talk even before the band began due to noise level. Prices were reasonable and a good time was had by all!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great place with great food.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/8/2013If you want a nice quiet place to eat, this may not be the place for you on the nights they have music. But if you want great music, great food, and a really nice evening, then definitely check out the Frog & Turtle. Also if you are in a hurry to get somewhere, this is not the place for you. Many people have complained about the length of time to get their food. THIS IS NOT FAST FOOD PEOPLE! Everything is made from scratch and made to order. And the quality of the food reflects that. We love this quaint little restaurant, and will go back many more times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food as always, just noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/8/2013We had our usual great food experience at Frog & Turtle last night. Wait staff was awesome as always and really knew their stuff as I had guests from out of town. We all loved it. the only drawback was the noise level. We could not carry on a coversation well and when the band started at 7pm (A little EARLY) it was even worse. The band was great and I should have checked your site or Facebook page for the event, it just took away from our evening. We will be back though, we live in Westbrook, and our guests said they would return also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cute Maine DinerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/4/2013Food was good, doughnuts were homemade and very tasty but almost like dessert. I ordered an eggwhite omlet well done and it was anything but well done. The home fires were delicous, very crispy and salad served with meal was fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, Good serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/2/2013We had a wonderful meal at the frog and Turtle. The food was very good and the service was excellent. We would return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Left disappointedBlueberriesDined on 8/2/2013Our evening started out wonderfully -- we had an energetic, knowledgeable waitress who was enthusiastic about the food. Drinks and appetizers came quickly and were fairly good. However, it took an hour for our entrees to arrive. Two of the three in our party were served several minutes before the third. We had no silverware when our meals arrived and the food was too hot to consume. Concurrently, a band started playing it was overwhelmingly loud in the dining room; we could not converse at all and resorted to texting. The late dinner, inattentive service, overpriced dishes and loud music really put a damper on our experience. We hope it was an anomaly and would like to go back to try again, but feel the food is overpriced for the market.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Erin our server was extremelyMCWatsonDined on 7/20/2013Erin our server was extremely pleasant. The food was wonderful and we enjoyed our visit very much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Pub-SIde Menu EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/19/2013Sometimes we buy a bottle of wine, order magnificent entres and melt for a couple hours. Tonight we were all about eating and drinking with no muss nor fuss! The Mrs. had heavenly fish cakes and I had an awesome burger called "The Jalbert" with onion rings. Great beer on tap and the house pino grigio washed down a truly delicious meal. Thanks James!
- Amazing foodBerg71Dined on 7/19/2013A fun night out with the girls and this was the perfect place to stop for some amazing food. Everyone loved the lightly battered onion rings. My meal was the lightly battered haddock and it was amazing! I hear the Buff Jimmy pizza is awesome as well. The light batter on both were perfect! I definitely would return to try more dishes.Special Features:
- How can diners even begin to talk?FlexibleDined on 7/17/2013My review scores might be totally different had we been there when there was no music. We could NOT begin to talk at our table. Is there no "rule of thumb" on how loud the music is in a given (and limited) amount of space? I think the musician MIGHT have been enjoyable had he been singing without benefit of amps. Perhaps the restaurant should invest in French doors between their two small eating spaces. I would love to try the food again, but I would only go there at lunch or before the start of the music.Special Features:
- Wing nightLeftwithaSmileDined on 7/17/2013Wings- unique sauces, delicious Fries simple, but great Creme brulee.....to die for. Beer- good slection, reasonable prices Staff very nice, professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a wonderful SundayOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/14/2013We had a wonderful Sunday brunch. James and his staff knocked it out of the park. Yummy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale Pub with a Cozy, Local FeelOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/13/2013Our recent night dinner at F&T was pretty perfect! We started w/the drink special -- fresh watermelon margaritas. Refreshing, yet not too sweet or tart. Service throughout was friendly, attentive & professional. We enjoyed dry rub braised short ribs, tender and deeply infused w/flavor, served with French cut green beans & roasted potatoes. The steamed mussels were nicely mid-sized in a slightly spicy cajun broth and large satisfying bites of sausage. Their gourmet bleu cheese burger ("Jalbert") w/sautéed mushrooms & thick bacon was juicy and flavorful! Everything was seasoned well and portions hearty enough to share. I like that they take reservations, although we did not need them for Saturday night, and we will definitely be returning!Special Features:
- Mixed green salad was excellentdnrrevueDined on 7/13/2013Mixed green salad was excellent and a great combination of flavors. Meals were disappointing; chicken crepe was lacking in flavor of any kind and the steak didn't appear to have been seared as the outside was just tannish. Service was very good. I might return for salad and a sandwich at lunch, but this was my second dinner experience with similar results and i would not recommend this restaurant for dinner.Special Features:
- Great MealgoodeatsDined on 7/12/2013We are never disappointed when we eat at the Frog & Turtle. This time, we brought our kids (6 and 9). While there is no "kids menu" they were quick to tell us that they could come up with some kid options. They offer a variety of fancy burgers, but were happy to make a plain burger for my son. The other son had BBQ chicken wings, and loved them - the order was plenty for him, we actually brought some home. There is always a fantastic special - my husband won't order off the menu, preferring to hear the specials. He had a wonderful seafood soup, with italian sausage, a variety of seafood, and half a lobster in it! The Frogarita flatbread was amazing. It's a fun atmosphere and no one seemed to be bothered my kids' exuberance.Special Features:
- Very good, but too noisyDavidDined on 7/12/2013Excellent food, good menu, good beer and ale selection (important to me)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best steak everRebaportDined on 7/9/2013We love this place. We went for my birthday and had the best steak I have ever had. I love my steak med well and most places use this to excuse a rubber steak. Not here- my steak was cooked the way I like and I could still cut it with a butter knife. The service was good and so were the drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- could be greatmaineinmass1VIPDined on 7/5/2013This place could be a neighborhood gem. Service was terrible. It took a long time to get our drinks. it took an hour to get our appetizers - onion rings and a hummus appetizer. They were out of flatbread that night. They claim to have vegetarian options but their creativity with those options is poor. A vegetable crepe was disappointing: filled with mashed potatoes, a few leaves of uncooked spinach and unmelted cheddar. The goat cheese ravioli's were huge sheets of pasta with tiny pockets of goat cheese- too much pasta sheet. The sauce was good on the raviolis though. The pain of the terrible slow service (we were there for 2.5 hours for an appetizer and entrée) and the mediocre, disappointing food makes this place miss the mark.
- Good food and great serviceRichardDined on 7/3/2013Dined here with my wife and had a great time. The server was a pleasant young man who really knew the menu. Service was prompt, but not rushed and live music was enjoyable. Have a cheese plate and try the steak! Ps. Salads were great too!I would recommend this to a friend.
- FIllin' me mug!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/21/2013This was my wife and my first visit since I joined the F&T mug club. I filled my mug with cold, frosty Grey Lady wheat ale twice as I inhaled a Buff Jimmy flatbread pizza. The Mrs. had a great salad topped with Maine shrimp paired with a nice, dry Pino Grigio. We adore the place... but we're hoping for outdoor dining at some point. No big deal, just close Bridge Street! Thanks James and crew!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.