22 Monument Square
Portland, ME 04101Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.davidsrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 207-773-4340
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm Happy Hour: Mon. - Fri.3:00pm - 6:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: David Turin
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Off premise catering is offered on a limited basis, generally for regular guests by request only. Because of this limit, every party is unique and memorable.
- Private Party Facilities: We accommodate parties up to 30. We do offer the whole restaurant for private events as well.
- Private Party Contact: Kim Smith 2077734340
- Cross Street: Preble Street
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: We recommend that our guests park in the adjacent Monument Square parking garage, or the Free Street lot, which is immediately adjacent to it on Free Street. The Elm Street Garage, across from the Public Library is also available and within easy walking distance and the Public Market garage is located behind the library across the street from the restaurant. Most people are able to find street parking if they drive around for a minute or two.
A word from David's Restaurant
Located at the foot of Portland’s arts district on Monument square, Portland ME David Turin, Chef / Owner moved David’s to this historic location in 1998. The restaurant is a tastefully and creatively decorated update to the “Great Fire” surviving building which housed the presses for The Portland Telegram Newspaper at the turn of the century. The open kitchen allows diners to watch the creation of meals which feature the bounty of regional resources prepared without culinary boundaries. David’s cuisine has one foot in tradition and another in the contemporary influences of many of the world’s great cuisines. The New York Times … “an intelligent hand in the kitchen of the sort you would find in better New York restaurants for half as much.. The Portland Press Herald… “This restaurant is doing amazing things and at the same time keeping prices reasonable- Four and a Half Stars!” Portland Magazine … “Truly a spectacular meal” “Best of New England 2008” – New England Travel MaContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
David's Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Portland ›
David's Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
146 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (93)special occasion (63)neighborhood gem (53)romantic (36)notable wine list (29)hot spot (22)great for outdoor dining (20)good for groups (20)great for lunch (19)vibrant bar scene (13)kid-friendly (8)scenic view (5)great for brunch (4)late-night find (4)Show More
- Perfect for Grandson's B'Day MealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/16/2014I chose David's to celebrate my Grandson's 22nd Birthday. It proved to be everything I could have hoped for! We had a wonderful meal in a quiet, relaxing atmosphere. I had the pan seared Scallops which were perfectly done and my Grandson ordered the Pork tenderloin. Yes, David's is a the top of my list!Special Features:
- Always a pleasureMp76Dined on 3/16/2014David's routinely exceeds my expectations in every dept. I always feel I made a great choice, when I fine there. Cuisine is consistently wonderful, staff is friendly, and the location is great! I'll definitely continue to dine there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousEnjoyableDined on 3/15/2014As always David's delivered a spectacular meal. The food is always top notch, you can't go wrong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly recommendedjimbazinDined on 3/15/2014This was the second time we dined at David's, but certainly won't be the last. As with our first time there, the meal was perfectly prepared and delicious, and the wait staff was on it - attentive, but not intrusive. Highly recommended for a truly fine dining experience.Special Features:
- Delicious!DisappointedVIPDined on 3/14/2014We've done a lot of traveling and love to eat out. Absolutely one of the best restaurants we've been to. The food was delicious and the staff was informative and knowledgable. They really know what they're doing. I'd recommend to anyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Broad MenuRobertDined on 3/14/2014We wanted to go somewhere with a broad menu, and found that David's delivered on this. When you have group of people which includes some people who are less "adventurous," going somewhere with a breadth of choices is important And the overall quality of the meal - each meal that each of us chose - was excellent.Special Features:
- skimpyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/14/2014have been going to davids for YEARS. prices are going up, portions are getting t-i-n-y. we had a party of 4, and we were all still hungry after having appetizers and meals. one person got mixed grill-steak was probably <3 oz, 2 small shrimp, and 2 scallop. sides are also very small- 3 spears of asparagus for a veggie?? Food is always good, unfortunately, lots of restaurants out there, and probably not going to go on our own unless invited by another party.Special Features:
- Small servingsSkyriverDined on 3/13/2014Yes the food is very good, but The servings are on the smaller side. If you came with an appetite You'll leave with it mostly intact.Special Features:
- alwaysjudyqDined on 3/10/2014if within 50 miles of Portland, I make sure to find a way to take time to dine at david's. the top 4 in my travels across the U.S. jquintiSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOldSchoolDined on 3/9/2014The food was delicious but the higher prices of the food doesn't really match the casual ambience and decor of the restaurant. But that doesn't mean it wasn't a great meal! We would definitely go back. Great cocktail list too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- restaurant weekelenkaDined on 3/8/2014We went for the restaurant week menu. We were a little disappointed at how tight the tables were in such a small space. We expected the restaurant to be a bit more spacious. I know it was crowded because of restaurant week, etc. but it just felt all over that everything there was jam packed, furniture and other stuff. I know they have a restaurant within a restaurant (Opus) which I found very intriguing until I saw it. Another jam packed area behind a curtain. My husband said tear down the curtain and make one good, spacious restaurant. Walters knows how to make it work. Food was good. I'll just always have the impression of being there like a sardine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maine Restaurant WeekRidleeDined on 3/7/2014My friend and I went for Maine Restaurant week this past Friday and it was outstanding. I found every course to be more delicious than the last. Our server was very helpful in selecting our meal. I would highly recommend this restaurant and plan to be back in the future.Special Features:
- Loved the food but ....LovedolddavidsDined on 3/6/2014Food was great but they have cut the dinning room in half and the ambince was lost in the process. I only saw a few good tables for a party of 2. We were there celibrating our 10 yr and could hardly hear each other pack in like sardines on a Thursday evening. I request a table in the dinning room and later found out that the dinning room was split for there new adventure. I was verry disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maine restaraunt weekSteveDined on 3/4/2014My wife and I had a great experience at David's during Maine restaurant week. The food, service, and setting were all excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week PickPortdiningDined on 3/4/2014Colleagues and I decided on David's for a midweek treat during Restaurant Week. Menu options were varied; we each had a different entree. We all agreed that first courses were better than second courses. I don't eat dessert and staff was not receptive to a non-dessert swap, which was entirely disappointing. Overall, service was prompt and pleasant. Decent happy hour offerings. Restaurant was loud and our table was located in a heavily trafficked area. Considering usual menu costs, the Restaurant Week special was fair, but our food was not a good representation of overall quality nor value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "Amazing Food, Staff & Atmosphere"GO21Dined on 3/1/2014Atmosphere was lively, waitress and staff was awesome and food was amazing. We’ve eaten at several of the famous chief establishments throughout Manhattan and my wife and I rated our experience at David’s equal or higher. We eat out a couple of times a week and this was our first time at David’s, however, it’s now on the top of our list of favorites and I’m sure will be a mandatory once a month stop for us moving forward.Special Features:
- Excellent servicegoodeatsDined on 2/28/2014David's Restaurant has delicious food and excellent service, very attentive wait staff!!Special Features:
- Solid high end dinning experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/26/2014Solid high end dinning experience. Excellently prepared seafood including tuna tartar, salmon entree and sushi quality tuna steak. flourless chocolate torte was amazing. Will return when we come back to Portland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A perfect way to start .....AubLibDirDined on 2/24/2014....a special evening. This was a gathering of colleagues prior to a special literary event. Everyone in our group thoroughly enjoyed the drinks, appetizers and entrees in a wonderfully genial setting. This was all complemented by very gracious service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fab As Usual!JRossDined on 2/22/2014We have been dining at David's for many years and are never disappointed! The food is always first rate and the service prompt and friendly! Bravo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeJoseVIPDined on 2/22/2014Gave this place a shot on a Saturday night. Thank god we did! Food was the best I had in at least 2yrs. Service was spot on even with our 3 month old baby. Our waitress was outstanding(Kristen I believe). I am ALWAYS going back to this place when in Portland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- David Turin never disappoints!MelliniDined on 2/21/2014The two of us have been following David Turin since he opened his very first restaurant (Sante) in Plymouth, MA, in the mid-80's. He continues to do an amazing job with his establishments. We absolutely loved our evening (Friday, 2/21) at David's Restaurant. The food was superb, the service was great (thank you so much, Kristen! We had a wonderful time with you!), and the whole experience was enjoyable and memorable. We will absolutely keep David's on our list for future visits to Portland. And we'd highly recommend it to everyone. Thanks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerrificsalarDined on 2/16/2014Never disappointed when dining at any of the David's restaurants. Thanks for a lovely delicious belated Valentine Dinner. SalarSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for Valentines DayJosephDined on 2/14/2014Fantastic service paired with phenomenal food. Would recommend to any couple for any occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's Day OuchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2014We LOVE David's but were embarrassed as the server we had clearly was not enthusiastic and sharing the vision and attention to detail that makes/made David's a special occasion go to for us. From not communicating the vegetarian option for the automatic Hors d'oeuvres, to watching our sever camp out at the service window and bar while not paying attention to details & then we asked that the medium filet that was extra rare in the middle be grilled for an extra minute (to return 15 minutes later a shriveled inedible catastrophe)...you get the point. The kicker was seeing the couple next to us and the complete level of impeccable service, respect and upholding of David's 'vision' as well as her ear to ear smile lavished on her table....Sad...Special Features:
- Winter ReprieveAMMBDined on 2/8/2014Perfect evening out with friend celebrating birth of his grandson. Delicious food, excellent service by most personable staff and Tasty cocktails. Can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceDebowhitDined on 2/8/2014Everything about this restaurant was great. However, we asked to be seated at a different table. We had a reservation and there were plenty of empty tables in the location we were interested in. Our server, who was fantastic, tried to have us moved to an empty table but the greeter let her know those tables were taken. Really, did people request every one of those tables? Doubtful. The greeter is the only thing that kept me from giving this restaurant 5 stars all the way across. We could have easily been moved to a different table and it wouldn't have been an inconvenience at all.Special Features:
- Deliciousaejp2013Dined on 2/7/2014We had a lovely dinner here although the service started slow. The mussels were absolutely amazing as were our entrees. What the server lacked initially, she more than made up for it throughout our meal. Looking forward to returning.Special Features:
- Yes, I had a burgerKateDined on 2/6/2014It's true. I went to one of the finest restaurants in Portland and ordered a burger. This was angus beef, cooked to absolute perfection with a delicious cheddar and thick crispy bacon on the most perfect grilled bun. Best burger ever! Okay, the Frangelico cheesecake did not disappoint either!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedbigdogDined on 2/1/2014Favorite place to go when staying in Portland. Food on this visit was tasty as usual but not done well. Tuna was supposed to be rare but was actually cold. Pasta was cold. Partner asked for salmon to be done medium but was served rare. Mussels for starter was outstanding but could of used a side of bread for broth. Service was perfect as usual. Busy night so maybe chef was tired.
- IncredibleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/29/2014This was the first time that my boyfriend and I had been to David's, and we definitely will be back. The food was unbelievable and the ambiance was very energetic. The waitress was very attentive which was much appreciated after a few let downs at neighboring restaurants. Overall I was very impressed with our experience at David's.Special Features:
- Dependably great eatingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/28/2014Four of us ladies. Excellent blended red wine. Bread basket yummy! Mushroom raviolis were wonderful. Dumplings also excellent. Highly recommend this for a small group or pair. Never disappoints me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A perfect dinnerErikDined on 1/25/2014We went to David's for our anniversary dinner. The food was more than outstanding and our server was attentive and skilled. The noise level was a little high, but it was Saturday night and everyone was having a great time. This is not a cheap place but the cost was well worth the quality of the food.Special Features:
- Always great!tviiVIPDined on 1/17/2014Our most recent trip was for our anniversary, as always it was perfect! Thank you for the anniversary wishes and wonderful meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Portland GemRickVIPDined on 1/16/2014I found David's from reviews on both Open Table and Yelp and we were not disappointed. We had two entrees, one a seared tuna and the other a crusted salmon, and both were beyond excellent. Perfect preparation and presentation, and the sides on the plates complimented the meal. Only disappointment were the mussels...they were good but not great... Definitely would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Must Try And ReturnPortlandLocalDined on 1/15/2014We have been to David's many times. A great spot to go before or after local show which is what we did...again! Service is always perfect...they pay attention to what you may need without being at your table constantly or not enough. We had the tuna tartar as an app! And the scallops for me and filet for my husband. Just delicious! This is one of the places at the top of the list when we have friends and family come to town. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable good food.A littleOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/15/2014Reliable good food.A little shabby but convenient ,pretty well priced and good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!DDAYDined on 1/11/2014Had a wonderful experience at David's! The waitress was very friendly and on top of her game. Food was delicious! Portion sizes are just right. Didn't I over ate but was comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great Experience!darrowby85Dined on 1/5/2014Our 3 teenagers agree with us that this is one of the best dining out experiences we've ever had!Special Features:
- Good Choice when in PortlandPhillyVisitorDined on 1/4/2014We had a very nice dinner at Davids. The location is great and the atmosphere was vibrant. We were seated in the bar which was a slight disapointment as it was cold by the door. The mixed grill was pretty good - the shrimp and scallops were geat, the steak was not very tender. The slad was good and the scallop appetizer (which my wife had as her entree) was very good. Overall we would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.