22 Monument Square
Portland, ME 04101Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.davidsrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 207-773-4340
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm Happy Hour: Mon. - Fri.3:00pm - 6:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: David Turin
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Off premise catering is offered on a limited basis, generally for regular guests by request only. Because of this limit, every party is unique and memorable.
- Private Party Facilities: We accommodate parties up to 30. We do offer the whole restaurant for private events as well.
- Private Party Contact: Kim Smith 2077734340
- Cross Street: Preble Street
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: We recommend that our guests park in the adjacent Monument Square parking garage, or the Free Street lot, which is immediately adjacent to it on Free Street. The Elm Street Garage, across from the Public Library is also available and within easy walking distance and the Public Market garage is located behind the library across the street from the restaurant. Most people are able to find street parking if they drive around for a minute or two.
A word from David's Restaurant
Located at the foot of Portland’s arts district on Monument square, Portland ME David Turin, Chef / Owner moved David’s to this historic location in 1998. The restaurant is a tastefully and creatively decorated update to the “Great Fire” surviving building which housed the presses for The Portland Telegram Newspaper at the turn of the century. The open kitchen allows diners to watch the creation of meals which feature the bounty of regional resources prepared without culinary boundaries. David’s cuisine has one foot in tradition and another in the contemporary influences of many of the world’s great cuisines. The New York Times … “an intelligent hand in the kitchen of the sort you would find in better New York restaurants for half as much.. The Portland Press Herald… “This restaurant is doing amazing things and at the same time keeping prices reasonable- Four and a Half Stars!” Portland Magazine … “Truly a spectacular meal” “Best of New England 2008” – New England Travel MaContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
David's Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Portland ›
David's Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
145 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (92)special occasion (63)neighborhood gem (53)romantic (36)notable wine list (29)hot spot (22)great for outdoor dining (20)good for groups (20)great for lunch (19)vibrant bar scene (13)kid-friendly (8)scenic view (5)great for brunch (4)late-night find (4)Show More
- The food was excellent andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/13/2009The food was excellent and the atmosphere was very nice.Special Features:
- Fabulous! Great selection,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/12/2009Fabulous! Great selection, something for everyone. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Usually eat lunch here, butOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/11/2009Usually eat lunch here, but recently had dinner. Meatloaf w/ mushroom gravy was delicious -- meatloaf was moist and very flavorful. We sat near the open kitchen and it did get a bit smoky as time went on, but a good meal.Special Features:
- Loved the place. Food wasPitoDined on 10/28/2009Loved the place. Food was delicious and creative. Service was great.Special Features:
- Highlights: Great jazz musicOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/25/2009Highlights: Great jazz music with a live piano/bass duo; Excellent fresh bread; The brown sugar clam chowder was unique and the duck was well prepared and tasty. Overall, a good restaurant, and definitely preferable to any upscale chain. Our waitress was excellent! Lowlights: Decor was not warm and inviting, or memorable - it felt a little depressing.
- it was a great meal and theOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/17/2009it was a great meal and the prices are very acceptable i've spent more at chain resturantsSpecial Features:
- Service: Reservations at 7OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/17/2009Service: Reservations at 7 pm. Arrived 6:40 Finally seated t 7:45 pm. No apology for lateness by hostess. Waiter didn't tell us specials. Ordered a bottle of wine, waiter didn't pour wine after first serving. Waiter was scarce and never asked if we liked food. Wine list was good and prices reasonable Food: Osters rockefeller Could not taste oysters at all. Tuna tartar napoleon tasted mainly garlic. Bread and olive oil. Bread good but poor quality olive oil stirred with raw garlic and DRIED herbs was simply nasty. Lobster ravioli. Too much going on. Like to taste the food and not just the sauce. All in all - I wouldn't return.
- Pleasant place to eat. GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/16/2009Pleasant place to eat. Good place to talk. Very good service. The food was good, but not outstanding. The wine list provided a nice range of choice.
- Dinner was superb and on parOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/13/2009Dinner was superb and on par with more expensive restaurants in Portland. Each dish, from the Steak au Poivre to the open faced lobster ravioli was prepared to perfection and served with a flair. The friendly and experienced staff made our special occasion even more memorable. We'll be back to David's soon!Special Features:
- This is our third visit toOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/10/2009This is our third visit to Davids and we have thoroughly enjoyed each dining experience. The food has always been exceptional and has left us raving each time. We will definately dine at Davids again.Special Features:
- Food superb, but service variedMartyVIPDined on 10/9/2009Food superb, but service varied from snippy at front desk to barely competent at the table. Arrived c.10 minutes early for our reservation & were told would not be seated until the precise time - no apology or explanation given. At precisely the correct time, we were still made to wait - all 4 tables booked for that time "had to be seated in the order they booked". So if someone was a no-show, we'd wait how long before being seated!? Then waited c. 7 minutes to get menus & water. Waitress was pleasant but clueless - unfamiliar with the menu. When asked, she said she was new but had received extensive training. Food made up for a *lot* of the issues though - apart from a rather bland tuna tartare it was uniformly excellent.Special Features:
- Reservation was honored, timely,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/9/2009Reservation was honored, timely, in early evening. The table behind us, kind of close, had some loud talkers who quieted down when food came. Waitstaff were either spread a little thin or a bit disorganized. Delicious garlic knots (not unique to this restaurant) were precisely the number of diners; the basket was replenished upon request. The server at our table was knowledgeable about the cuisine and seemed surprised (as we were) that one of the specials for an appetizer was no longer available by 6pm (Perhaps a special from lunch?). One diner, not a garlic fan, had trouble selecting a garlic-free starch. Everyone was very, very pleased with their chosen appetizers and entrees: creative,tasty and fresh. Slow service precluded dessert.Special Features:
- First of all. Natalie H.-OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/3/2009First of all. Natalie H.- fantastic bartender. Please go here just to see her. We arrived about 20 minutes early (we had reservations) and were told by the very nasty hostess that we would wait at least that long. We decided to sit at the bar to wait for our table. We fell in love with Natalie immediately- silly, friendly, and knew how to make her drinks. We then chose to just eat at the bar as we wanted to avoid a potentially unfriendly server. I was very disappointed as I chose to order a special...which the kitchen ran out of at 7pm on a Saturday. My husband also received the last of the oysters on the halfshell. Come on. Oysters in Maine? And you run out? Anyway. Our meals were very good- Nick had filet mignon, sweet pot
- Everyone enjoyed their mealOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/25/2009Everyone enjoyed their meal and we were not rushed to leave when we were done eating. This was a going away lunch for a co-worker and it was nice to be able to chat for a while after our meal. Also, when I made my reservation via open table for 7 people, I specified that this was a special lunch and we were seated at the front window. Everyone commented that they were always stuck in the back when eating there and enjoyed the front window view.Special Features:
- We had an EXCELLENT dinner.JackDined on 9/18/2009We had an EXCELLENT dinner. Mine was seared tuna. My wife's was mushroom ravioli. Both dishes were absolutely delicious.Special Features:
- Our reservations were forOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/15/2009Our reservations were for 1:30 PM but they were able to seat us at 1:00 PM without any agrivation. The service was wonderful and unobtrusive. The food was what what each member of the party of 4 thought it should be. Everyone as very pleased. The choices made were, haddock sandwich, meatloaf, salmon and haddock diners. The rasberry cheesecake was superb. CharlieSpecial Features:
- While the food was very good,OpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 9/12/2009While the food was very good, the servings were small - I left still hungry.Special Features:
- We had heard good things aboutOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/10/2009We had heard good things about David's for years, but just had not gotten around to seeing for ourselves. What a pleasant surprise....it far surpassed our expectations. David has done a wonderful job with this little gem on Monument Square. Our little party of three had diverse tastes and everything from the pizza to the tuna steak was memorable in presentation and taste. We'll definitiely be back soon.Special Features:
- Food was great, and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/5/2009Food was great, and service was wonderful. Menu choices available for vegetarians as well as seafood lovers and meat eaters. Noise was building as we left.Special Features:
- Fantastic dining! I supposeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/4/2009Fantastic dining! I suppose I'm a "foodie" from Manhattan; but, this was the BEST meal I've had in months. Beautiful all around!Special Features:
- We had a great time on ourOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/29/2009We had a great time on our dinner. We celebrated our birthday and anniversary. The food was awesome. I highly recommend the calamari salad. Ym YiumSpecial Features:
- As we were 1/2hr early, weOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/22/2009As we were 1/2hr early, we spent some time in the bar w/ the very friendly bartender who was very knowledgeable about the local scene~she had some suggestions for the rest of the evening about town that turned out to be just what we wanted. If you get the chance to sit at the chefs counter for dinner I highly reccomend it. Watching the kitchen staff work their magic over a couple of hours was amazing - not to mention their willingness to carry on converations and answer any and all questions. Now the food-OUTSTANDING!!! We started off w/ a tomato/mozz salad and then had a dinner special of haddock w/ lobster meat w/ my wife having the pepper/sesame crusted ahi tuna. We both agreed it was one of the top 5 dining experiences we've ever had!Special Features:
- Lamb was very tasty--musroomBobNahantVIPDined on 8/15/2009Lamb was very tasty--musroom dusted Haddock with mussels and Risotto was a winning combo--The Oysters Rockerfeller were outstanding--a great choice when you have had your fill of Lobsters and steamers in Maine (althogh they have those too for the die-hards)Special Features:
- Wonderful dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/12/2009Wonderful dining experience at David's Restaurant. Nice atmosphere and very good service. I was with a group of 4 and every one of us found our meals outstanding. Can't wait to go again!!
- Service was really the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/10/2009Service was really the best thing about this restaurant. They were very accommodating of special dietary needs for my mother and both the wait and kitchen staff could not have been nicer.
- The food was excellent aspstamperVIPDined on 8/7/2009The food was excellent as was the service.I would definitely go back.Special Features:
- A wonderful experience inkcbnyVIPDined on 8/2/2009A wonderful experience in Portland! Great food, in a relaxed setting, with live music on a Saturday evening.Special Features:
- David's was great overallOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/31/2009David's was great overall although the portions of food were overall very, very small. The garlic knots were cold and our waitress was not very alive. I ased for a romantic spot in my reservation and my wish was not granted. The price for the quality and quanity of food was average. I know your not going to eat a ton of food, but my mash potatoes were 3 spoons worth.Special Features:
- This was my first time atOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/31/2009This was my first time at David's and I must say that it did not live up to my expectations. The hostess was not friendly or informative, service wasn't great and a little haphazard and the meal was not described completely so when it arrived there was an additional sauce on the plate that was not expected and not enjoyed. I was really expecting greater variety on the menu and an overall better meal and experience. I may give David's a second chance, but I think it will be some time before I am ready to do so. The meal and the experience was disappointing.Special Features:
- We were expecting somethingOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/31/2009We were expecting something a little more exciting in terms of the food. I had lobster which was good. My husband had chicken which was a little dry.
- The pizza was the best weOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/28/2009The pizza was the best we had ever had since we left Atlanta! The pizza buffet was a great deal! Thanks for an enjoyable birthday lunch!Special Features:
- Lousy service and althoughOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/23/2009Lousy service and although we had a reservation two weeks ahead we had to wait and were seated at the worst table in the restaurant. Hated the whole experience ad the menu choices were strange too.
- I went there with my husband,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/11/2009I went there with my husband, and two very close friends for an early dinner. The food was amazing. Thank you!Special Features:
- Went with great expectationsScottyDined on 7/10/2009Went with great expectations and left somewhat disappointed; we felt rushed as we were asked for our orders moments after receiving pre-dinner drinks and then the dinners arriving very quickly. The meals were 'okay' but not at the level the reports had indicated we would expect. All in all somewhat of a let-down.
- The meal was excellent. ItOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/10/2009The meal was excellent. It was well-prepared and tasty. Good cost/value ratio.Special Features:
- The food was wonderful andOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/3/2009The food was wonderful and the service was great! Definitely would go back!Special Features:
- There was a big group of usJjunDined on 6/29/2009There was a big group of us - we had a blast! Great service, good food and a fun place to gather!Special Features:
- We love Davids and go thereOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/27/2009We love Davids and go there often ! the only reason I said ambiance was good vs. outstanding is because we were seated in the back room & usually are upfront. Upfront by the kitchen is great.Special Features:
- Great dining experience. PortlandOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/24/2009Great dining experience. Portland has many options and this was a night out with my boss and best client, they were both impressed. I'll be back.Special Features: