The Capital Grille - NY – Chrysler Center
155 E 42nd Street
Located in the Trylon Towers of The Chrysler Center
New York, NY 10017Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
The Capital Grille - NY – Chrysler Center
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thecapitalgrille.com/
- Phone: 2129532000x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday – Friday: 11:30am – 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Monday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Tuesday – Saturday: 5:00pm – 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Juan Arboleda
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: For group dining or other special events, please contact the Sales Manager today.
- Cross Street: Between Lexington & Third Avenues
- Public Transit: Grand Central Terminal: 4, 5, 6, 7 & S subways. Metro-North Railroad. Buses: M1, M2, M3, M4, M42, M98, M101, M 102, M104.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking is available daily for $10.00 after 3:30pm at the ICON Parking Garage on 40th Street between Second and Third Avenues (one closest to Second Avenue). For additional information call The Capital Grille at 212-953-2000.
A word from The Capital Grille - NY – Chrysler Center
You are cordially invited to join us for an evening or afternoon of relaxed elegance and exceptional cuisine. Our impressive menu of nationally renowned dry aged steaks and the freshest of seafood will ignite your culinary imagination as our award-winning wine list of more than 5,000 bottles awakens your inner sommelier. And as our gracious, knowledgeable servers delight you with their uncanny ability to anticipate your every need, you’ll experience firsthand why the American Culinary Federation recently bestowed upon us their “Achievement of Excellence Award.” Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or hosting a business luncheon or dinner, we can help you flawlessly pull off any private dining event. Located in the Chrysler Center.Continued
* If you are making a reservation from outside of the U.S., please email firstname.lastname@example.org
* If you are making a reservation from outside of the U.S., please email email@example.com
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Capital Grille - NY – Chrysler Center reviews from OpenTable diners
352 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (193)notable wine list (136)good for groups (130)fit for foodies (118)great for lunch (105)romantic (91)hot spot (59)vibrant bar scene (55)neighborhood gem (55)scenic view (28)late-night find (18)great for brunch (15)kid-friendly (12)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- showgalVIPDined on 8/8/2014We always enjoy our experience at the Capital Grille. Staff is very helpful and pleasant. Food is great. Restaurant Week selections were very generous.Special Features:
- Excellent!03142014VIPDined on 8/8/2014Excellent! Melissa was most knowledgble about the selections of wine - we really enjoyed the wine tasting special promotion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/8/2014Very thing was great from service to food. Would be great for large parties too.Special Features:
- Waiter made the mealEhhhDined on 8/8/2014The food was really nothing to rave about. Christian was our server and he was a pleasure. Really the entire staff seemed very pleasant. The temps of the steaks were off. 1 of my party had to send it back. The food was cold when it reached the table. Thank God for NYC Restaraunt week because the experience wasn't costly.Special Features:
- Inconsistent meatIamAfoodieDined on 8/8/2014We were here for restaurant week. The portions were good (14oz sirloin!), but unfortunately my meat was really chewy. My coworker's meat was fine, so I guess I got a bad cut of meat. Clam chowder was just ok, but the flourless chocolate espresso cake was really good, so at least I was happy to end my meal with that. Service was great!Special Features:
- Great restaurant week menuLiketoeatDined on 8/8/2014We've been pigging out all week at Restaurant week. I must say that the menu here has been the best of the lot. Great choices and reasonably sized potions. Beautifully prepared. Delicious food. Great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never a misstepMPaulJCVIPDined on 8/7/2014What I like most about Capital Grille is the consistency: crisp, professional, white-glove service with top quality food. Certain clients need the Capital touch. This location is the best that I've been to. The managers respect their regular clientele and know how to make them feel welcome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Me and My KidsJoyceDined on 8/6/2014I took my two adult children for Restaurant Week dinner. The food was great, Rachel was very nice and we had a really nice time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT TIME IN THERE!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/6/2014Really great there. Nice taste and romantic restaurant ever seen. But little noisy in front side. I want to go there again next time!Special Features:
- Fantastic DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/6/2014We went last night to celebrate my grandmothers 87th birthday and could not be more pleased with the entire experience at Capital Grille. I have already recommended it to friends if they have a special occasion. Every part of the meal was delicious and the service was spectacular. All of the little things too, from confetti on the table to champagne toast to the card - it all made the night unforgettable. THANK YOU!
- ShauVIPDined on 8/6/2014Had fhe restaurant week menu, food was ok but will not go back and spend more money there. I thought the food was bland. Filet mignon was cooked exactly as requested, nice size portion for salmon. Great breads and chocolate cake, reaasonably priced wines, would have liked a refill on my coffee. Got very noisy.Special Features:
- QuennieDined on 8/6/2014food was superb, nice ambience, great service, people are friendlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExquisiteFiosDined on 8/5/2014The service was impeccable! Once your order is placed it seems as if the entire staff works together to bring the best experience in perfect harmony. The food prep, wine, and dessert will leave your palate satisfied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and servicejusjaysonDined on 8/5/2014My girlfriend and I came here for restaurant week. My filet mignon was perfectly cooked. We were treated well and the service was outstanding. My only complaint was the annoying, barely audible music which droned the low tones of a walking bass the entire dinner.Special Features:
- Business DinnerStanVIPDined on 8/5/2014Great food and wine. Unfortunately, so noisy could not comfortably carry on a conversation.
- Absolute delightchowDined on 8/5/2014I came here for Restaurant Week with my girlfriend and we were both glad to have a table reserved; the place looked packed on a Tuesday night. But despite the crowd, we were able to enjoy our dinner in a lovely, quieter room towards the back. Our waiter was gracious, attentive, and really made us feel special among the crowd of other diners. I understand Restaurant Week's menu choices are really limited, but there wasn't much variation in the available entrees. Nonetheless, the food was delicious! It makes me want to return and try all the other items on their regular menu. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- One of my favorites!FoodieFeedbackDined on 8/5/2014Never disappointed when I eat at The Capital Grille...one of my very favorite things about NYC.Special Features:
- Just so soWarrenVIPDined on 8/4/2014Service was very good, but food was not. Steak was overcooked, and sides were nothing special as were fish and chicken for others in party. Ambiance was very pleasant, but overall prices were too high for only a fair meal.Special Features:
- Great SteakhouseEricVIPDined on 8/4/2014My wife and I recently had an excellent meal at the Capital Grille. My steak was delicious,perfectly prepared, but my wife is not a meat lover so she had salmon which was equally good. The cheesecake I had for dessert was one of the best I've had, not too heavy, not too light. The noise around the bar can be a little intense, but we were lucky to be seated in the back room, which was quiet. We were impressed by the friendliness of the staff. Sometimes a restraurant of this kind can be stuffy but this was not the case at the Capital Grille.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dee-Lish!GaddiDined on 8/3/2014The Filet mignon was so delicious and melted in my mouth. I don't eat steak that often but I would if it were cooked that way for me all the time.Special Features:
- Good but not greatJoseeDined on 8/3/2014Noisy, food ok but i had better steak in manhattanSpecial Features:
- Best steak I've ever hadOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/3/2014Was here for NYC Restaurant Week with my fiancee. Was brilliant. Steak was the best I've ever had and the service was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Birthday CelebrationMZaccVIPDined on 8/3/2014made the reservation, advising the Capital Grille that it was to celebrate my daughters birthday. Our table had birthday confetti and, our waiter Scott brought champagne to our table! the food choices were excellent and Scott made sure that with the appetizers we had enough to service the table. we chose main courses of halibut, filet mignon and salmon and each was mouthwatering and cooked to perfection. the sides of mashed potatoes disappeared quickly and had to be replenished. smooth and creamy, just right! the flourless chocolate cake is still my favorite with a denseness that is just right and the cheese cake so creamy no creme fraise is needed! much appreciation to Scott, he made our day a special one!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall a good experiencetonino147dDined on 8/1/2014Tasty food, one "medium-rare" steak came RAW so it was returned. It took the hostess 20 mins to sit us on a table even though we had a reservation and we showed up on time. Apart from these negative things, the whole experience was very good. Service was good, very clean restaurant and in a great location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lollyVIPDined on 8/1/2014Marvelous food excellent service. I have been here many times and I am never disappointed.Special Features:
- Decent at bestAudreyDined on 8/1/2014I went to this restaurant for restaurant week. When we got there, they brought us all the way to the back to a completely different, closed off room- I suppose where they stick all the restaurant weekers. I found that to be extremely biased, as if we weren't good enough (or we didn't have enough money to be seated with the rest). The service was alright, but I could just feel their eyes on us, as if to say "you do not belong here". The appetizer was sad; For the main, I got the filet mignon which was nice, but I have had better. For dessert, I got the flourless espresso chocolate cake, and that was pretty damn awesome. We were given the check while we were eating our dessert, like they wanted us out of there ASAP. I'll never go back.Special Features:
- Birthday celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/1/2014The food never disappoints at Capital Grille...outstanding and delicious!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steakhouseSophieVIPDined on 8/1/2014We went for restaurant week recently and had a fabulous dinner. The most food for your dollar with a 14oz steak. Would recommend for any time as I have always had a great experience at the location on 42 streetSpecial Features:
- franDined on 8/1/2014Great steak and filet for restaurant week; tender and cooked to perfection! Fabulous wine special , generous pours. the waiter and bar tender were extra attentive. They didn't rush us even though it was restaurant week.Special Features:
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014Everything was absolutely amazing! From service, to the food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceBestMealEverVIPDined on 8/1/2014Capital Grille had some of the best service I have ever experienced. I went here for restaurant week and ordered the Clam Chowder soup to start. Our waiter later told me that it was sold out but brought out some lobster bisque which was fantastic. I will definitely be recommending this place to a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant weekCaptZaffDined on 7/31/2014While the reception desk seemed a bit preoccupied (I was ignored until I walked directly up to someone), they were punctual and had a table ready at exactly my reservation time. My girlfriend and I went for restaurant week, and the menu was amazing, the portions filling (the citrus salmon was perfect), and the $25 per person wine tasting was surprisingly effective (and delicious). Very quiet, with roomy booths the buffered the surrounding sounds, and the decor and ambience were beautiful and relaxing, and seating spacious and comfy. The complimentary bread bowl was full, clam chowder transformative, and our waiter good-humored, well versed on the menu, and accommodating. Recommended if you have money to spend (or restaurant week to enjoy)Special Features:
- Restaurant Week - Great!dknycDined on 7/31/2014We went for restaurant week and had a great meal. Was a great deal and great service. Will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always ExcellentJoletsDined on 7/31/2014Whenever I'm having a serious craving for really good steak, The Capital Grille is my go-to. I haven't been to other locations in the city as I'm partial to this one, but whether it's a girl's night out, night with the family, or date night, the Capital Grille is consistently exceptional. They really do get it right with the service, food, knowledge of the staff, wine, and ambiance. Even when we went during restaurant week, ordering from the restaurant week menu, I saw no difference in service or food quality. I have been a customer for years and will continue to be, it is one of my favorite go-to steak restaurants in the city.
- Wonderful ExperincediningonGoodFridayDined on 7/31/2014We went for restaurant weekend, and we were treated royally. The steak was amazing, and the service couldn't have been better.
- Lunch and SeafoodPJYANKVIPDined on 7/31/2014I've been to this location a few times and ate steak each time. No complaints at all. This time I tried the lobster/crab burger. It was extremely ordinary and even more disappointing at the price ($22). Stick with the steak.Special Features:
- ExcellentLuv2dineDined on 7/30/2014The ambiance, food, and the staff excellent. The best yet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sb504Dined on 7/30/2014We were celebrating out of town guests and it was a perfectly memorable night!Special Features:
- excellentqueens86Dined on 7/30/2014Had an excellent dining experience for restaurant week. Our server Heidi was very attentive and helpful, we will be returning soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NYfoodieVIPDined on 7/30/2014First time here during "restaurant week"... Small but nice selection of choices.... Mainly a steak place... Salmon was quite good... Lots of windows and unusual architecture ... Mostly business people here... Lots of "energy"... Would return...Special Features: