800 16th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20006Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.hayadams.com/
- Phone: 2026382570x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 6:30am - 11:00am, Saturday - Sunday: 7:00am - 11:00am; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm; Sunday Brunch: 11:30am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, American
- Executive Chef: Peter Schaffrath
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Private Dining available for groups of up to 20 guests.
- Private Party Facilities: The private room within the Lafayette Restaurant can accommodate up to 20 guests. Windows open to a panoramic view of Lafayette Park & The White House.
- Private Party Contact: Ahmet Hacikara 2026386600x
- Entertainment: Our pianist Tom Vogt is playing every Monday – Saturday evening and for Sunday Brunch
- Special Events: Brunch on most major holidays.
- Cross Street: H Street
- Public Transit: McPherson Square, Farragut West, Farragut North
- Parking: Hotel Parking
- Parking Details: Parking is complimentary for dinner. A parking fee of $10.00 via hotel valet parking for breakfast Monday - Friday and Sunday Brunch. $26 for Lunch Monday - Saturday.
A word from Lafayette Restaurant
Washington’s destination for power dining, the Lafayette Restaurant serves breakfast, lunch, dinner & Sunday brunch. With large windows opening onto Lafayette park & the White House, this sun-lit dining room is one of the most elegant settings in the capital & is certain to complement any dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Lafayette Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Lafayette Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
39 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (28)romantic (18)fit for foodies (13)scenic view (10)great for lunch (10)notable wine list (10)great for brunch (8)good for groups (6)hot spot (5)neighborhood gem (3)kid-friendly (1)late-night find (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Excellent. experiance!sandstoneDined on 4/6/2014We celebrated my husbands 49th birthday there for brunch. He was very satisfied with the overall experience and we will definately return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic Traditional diningmjsandfjsDined on 4/3/2014The setting with a view of the White House, exceptional service, outstanding cuisine and the perfect traditional historic ambiance, makes for the perfect dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous BrunchHolodnyVIPDined on 3/30/2014Excellent food with a lot of seafood choices. Generous serving of champagne. Attentive professional service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Made Daughter's Birthday SpecialKateNHDined on 3/28/2014Thank you to everyone at the Lafayette for making our daughter's birthday truly special! The maitre d' ordered a special cake for the occasion, and the service was impeccable. The pianist played "happy birthday" on cue, and the staff was unbelievably attentive to our party's needs. We stayed at the hotel and ate every breakfast there. Each day the staff of the Lafayette greeted us by name and made sure all our requests were fulfilled promptly and courteously. This restaurant is truly remarkable! Thank you, again.Special Features:
- Very Impressed!!!DeareDined on 3/28/2014Choose this restaurant for my birthday celebration. So glad that I did! My husband was impressed too. We had early reservations and the restaurant had not opened yet so the hostess escorted us to the bar downstairs. Bar actually had a vibrant look, a red décor with caricatures on the wall. Just as we requested, we were seated at a table with a view of the White House. Live pianist very nice added touch. Waiter very pleasant. Before we were served our entrée, we were given champagne sorbet to cleanse our palette. Never experienced that before. It worked because we were able to taste the flavors of our food after eating bread and appetizers and my cocktail. Definitely dine here again and recommend to anyone looking for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The service and food wereOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/24/2014The service and food were great! I would recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:
- Classic DC spot; excellent serviceSquashDukeDined on 3/24/2014Very attentive service from beginning to end. All-in all-round high-end dining experience. The day's special (halibut) did not come off well, and the tuna appetizer rather than a symphony of tastes featuring the fish delivered a cacaphony. The snapper main course and lobster appertizer stood out. The amuse-bouche, palate-cleasing sorbet, and other little extras kept this on track as a very nice dinner out.Special Features:
- I have been to this restaurantborn2eatVIPDined on 3/19/2014I have been to this restaurant previously and the food was good and service impeccable. This time, surprisingly, the food was good and the service was awful for a breakfast. We ordered juices and had to ask for them several times before they arrived, the food took a long time to arrive.The waiters were tripping over each other. It was like a circus. Very disappointing and not what one would expect at a hotel of this caliber.
- FantasticFantasticDined on 3/16/2014I took my wife for a birthday brunch and we have committed to go monthly.Special Features:
- Refined, warm, subtle cuisine,YankeeDined on 3/10/2014Refined, warm, subtle cuisine, organic and local produce, fine wine, knowledgeable and discreet staff, tasteful decor -- a gem of a restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchCeeBeeDined on 3/9/2014This was a great meal…food was excellent and so was the service at first. When we go to a brunch we like to stay….we felt like after a while the wait staff wanted us gone. They had stopped coming by our table to refill our drinks.
- WonderfulDCdinerVIPDined on 3/7/2014Love this restaurant. Crab cakes and salmon were both delicious. Service is outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- elegant evening outSgb1Dined on 3/1/2014An elegant restaurant. Food and service were very good, but a little short of excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We thoroughly enjoyed theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/1/2014We thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere, professional yet personable service, and great food. Compared to the 'hip' new places of the day, the Lafayette was refreshingly 'old school' without being stiff or snobby - it was all 'noblesse oblige'.Special Features:
- Fabulous time!SeanDined on 2/25/2014Can't say enough about the experience we had! From the little extras to the piano playing to the service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good date spotDC123DCDined on 2/22/2014Food was excellent. Extra bites between courses to cleanse the palate was a nice touch. Waiter was attentive but came no more than needed. Great date spot if you want privacy to talk. Live piano added some class. Pre-dinner cocktails downstairs in the Off the Record bar were a great start to the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High quality food & serviceericoa1VIPDined on 2/22/2014The food was excellently prepared and accompanied with exceptional service. The lobster/corn bisque was well seasoned, and the veal chop was tender/juicy and cooked perfectly pink. The chocolate soufflé was worth the 20 minute wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentFoodmasterDined on 2/15/2014Lafayette was the best dining experience I ever had. I was looking for a special restaurant to take my wife for Valentine's Day. I had never heard of the Lafayette restaurant but it had good reviews. The service was excellent and the food was wonderful. They had a pianist which made it even more romantic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food; Exceptional ServiceStringsAttachedDined on 2/15/2014My wife and I had the pleasure of dining at the Lafayette Restaurant for "Valentine's Day". We celebrated on the 15th so we had the benefit of a very quiet dining room and the regular menu. I had the corn bisque as an appetizer and beef tenderloin for my main meal while my wife had their arugula salad and crab cakes. Each course was excellent and very delicious; nothing was overcooked or improperly seasoned. The dining room is very elegant and filled with either classical music through speakers or live piano. Service was exceptional but not stuffy. I personally liked that as restaurants of this calibre can be overly formal at times. Our experience was great from the moment we stepped into the hotel to the moment we left.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful AnniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/11/2014I went here for a Valentine's and anniversary dinner and it was the best date I have ever been on. Everything from the decor to the food and service was absolutely superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service, good food, quietAlejandroDined on 2/8/2014Beautiful restaurant with outstanding service. Be sure to dress appropriately and prepare for a very low noise level. If you're looking for a romantic date, this is a great place. If you're looking for uproarious laughter, this is not the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itCrittytheCriticDined on 2/6/2014The food, the service, the ambience... impeccable! The evening could not have been finer. I had the immense pleasure of dining with my wife, mother-in-law, sister-in-law, and aunt. They enjoyed every bite, every laugh, and every tickle of the ivories. I just gained more brownie points and "get out of jail free" cards than any man in the DC Metropolitan area!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic night + Remarkable ServiceLasannahDined on 1/30/2014Ambience : Candle light was just awesome, dim lights, Resident pianist : Classical Jazz. Sat by the window, good view of historic downtown. Service: Our server/Waiter was the best ever. Period. He was very funny, engaging as well as very knowledgeable of the menu. It was my fiancee's Birthday- I told my waiter, and he made her feel extra special. His service was exceptional! Food: the food, yum yum . I had Pan Roasted Snapper. It was seasoned well, the texture was perfect. What made it extra delicious was the Kaffir Lime sauce, it was sooo good, my server brought me finish and scrape my plate!! Of all my dining experiences in DC, I will rank The Lafayette as top 3; especially for special nights: romantic date nights!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cannot do better in WashingtonOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 1/27/2014Cannot do better in Washington for food, ambiance and elegance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely eveningallik3Dined on 1/25/2014My husband and I shared our 9th anniversary at Layfayette. The restaurant was lovely. Piano played all night. Food was nice. Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Dining ExperienceBootleggingsDined on 1/17/2014Greeted at the entrance of the hotel by two valets who opened the double doors with a smile and a hello. Greeted again atop the stairs to the restaurant inquiring about a reservation. Host was incredibly friendly and nice and took the time to take our coats and offer up several options on the dining floor to dine. Wait staff was top notch, well educated on the menu, and friendly. The entire wait staff and operation was well orchestrated as everything from the bread, to the drinks, to the entrees, to dessert were all delivered, replenished, and cleaned up in a prompt, unobtrusive fashion. The piano player was also a really nice touch. All this with a great view of the White House across the street. Would dine here again in a heart beat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food, but CarefulKathyDined on 1/17/2014We were happy to see that Lafayette was participating in Restaurant Week, so we made reservations for us and another couple. Once there, we were not pleased to discover that they were NOT participating. Already seated with guests, we did not feel we could leave. We ordered a wine which turned out to be out of stock. The waiter brought us another as a substitute. We were shocked later to discover that it was substantially more costly. The waiter should have let us know that the wine was so much more. The wine wasn't that terrific, either, so paying more for a wine we didn't particularly like didn't make us very happy. In short, the food was excellent, but we left feeling deceived, not once, but twice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The service was impeccable,JimHVIPDined on 1/16/2014The service was impeccable, friendly and attentive. The food was very good. We enjoyed our dinner enough that we went back the next evening. Two great evenings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All we asked for..ViennaDinerDined on 1/16/2014We were celebrating a special occasion. At the time of booking we asked if possible to be sat "by" the piano OR fireplace and with a nice view. WHen we arrive it was perfect. We were sat right next to the piano AND the fireplace and had a view of the White house which was pretty cool since we just moved to the area!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- White House View & Great StaffOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/15/2014You cannot go wrong with the Lafayette Restaurant in the Hay-Adams Hotel.....especially for a business meal or any other "adult" get-together. The location is perfect, the ambiance ideal, and the service is impeccable, plus the prices are very reasonable indeed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Divine!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 1/8/2014Impeccable service, perfect food, and wonderful piano!Special Features:
- First class venueSklarVIPDined on 1/8/2014Great food and ambience, a stones throw from The White House ... really first classSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a lovely experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 12/31/2013We had a lovely experience. Unlike Plume, we left feeling like our money was well spent. We will return on our next trip to D.C.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DivineOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 12/23/2013It was an outstanding experience. One of the places in Washington, DC where you can expect an outstanding service.Special Features:
- memorable birthday dinnerhungrypedDined on 12/20/2013made my reservation for 10 and ended up with more people than I thought, so we ended up renting the private dining room it couldn't have been nicer. The staff accomodated everyone graciously. The food was delicious. For a truly amazing event in a gorgeous place keep them in mind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business lunch w/ excellent serviceiluvs122VIPDined on 12/17/2013Always enjoy going to Lafayette @ Hay Adams for business lunches. Excellent service and good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top of the linejingojohnDined on 11/24/2013The brunch experience was a delight. Buffet appetizers were delicious, the main course was perfection, and the desserts were to die for. Mimosas glasses were refilled, and the main course was a little slow being served; but this brunch is an experience not to be rushed. Expensive - so it should be reserved for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingFoodieforlifeVIPDined on 11/18/2013Great Restaurant across the street from the White House. The Dover Sole is a must if you like fish. You won't regret it!Special Features:
- Excellent all aroundFranDined on 11/8/2013We celebrated with our pre-wedding dinner here and it was perfect ! There wasn't one thing that passed our lips that wasn't excellent!!! Very nice - not pretencious at allSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantHayAdamsDined on 11/6/2013I took my wife to Lafayette Restaurant for her surprise birthday dinner. The service, food, and ambiance were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.