339 N. Dearborn
Chicago, IL 60654Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bin36.com/
- Phone: 3127559463x
- Hours of Operation:
Mon-Thurs: 6:30am - 12:00am, Fri 6:30am - 2:00am, Sat 7:00am - 2:00am, Sun 7:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: William Hewitt
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: BIN 36 can accommodate 10 to 400 people.
Wine Tastings and classes
Corporate & private reception and dinner parties
Great team building ideas
Wedding receptions and bat mitzvahs
Bachelorette and surprise parties
Casino nights & lots of other fun things!
- Private Party Contact: Elizabeth Bolger 3123270459x
- Special Events: Ongoing series of classes on a monthly basis around wine, cheese, and food!
A word from Bin 36
Bin 36 is a casual, friendly and affordable spot where wine novices can enjoy over 50 wines by the glass. Learning about wine does not have to be complicated! BIN 36's staff is enthusiastically prepared to offer people a great environment to learn and enjoy wine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Bin 36 reviews from OpenTable diners
101 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
notable wine list (79)fit for foodies (50)good for groups (39)special occasion (36)romantic (25)neighborhood gem (22)great for lunch (21)vibrant bar scene (17)late-night find (13)hot spot (9)scenic view (4)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- MadameDined on 5/20/2014I went for lunch with girlfriends and had the hummus with pita chips which was outstanding. Our waitress was very attentive and personable. It was overall an outstanding experience. Loved the French pinot noir. I would love to return in the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Motown Pe PartyMookieDined on 5/17/2014Food and service were great. Sitting on top of other patrons for a romantic meal...not so greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and extensive wine listBettiboopDined on 5/17/2014Great place for pre or post theater dining. Extensive wine list and excellent suggested pairings for each menu item. Flights offer opportunity for trying new wines. Limited number of entrees but our selections were awesome in both taste and presentation. I had the trout and my husband had the pork - both excellent. The wait staff was knowledgeable and attentive. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overpriced and overratedchicagonewbiesVIPDined on 5/11/2014Food quality was poor, not anywhere close to what we expected. Blue cheese was old and moldy where it should not be, and other semi-soft ones seemed over-ripe and old. House smoked salmon had no flavor and home-made pastries tasted like store-bought. Servers talked over the food (not very sanitary at all!) and did not even seem to realize how bad that was. Went there because of some good reviews and found the place to be overpriced and overrated.
- overpriced!!!jp11Dined on 5/11/2014Food quality was ok, however, price seems high and overpriced. Atmosphere was great though...Special Features:
- Meh....CookieJarDined on 5/9/2014We have been to Bin 36 on at least 5 other occasions. Our recent visit was disappointing. The olives were the best thing. The Chef's Cheese Plate was bland and overpriced. The meatballs were meh, the chicken liver mousse was a bit garlicky, and we miss the gougeres, those wonder cheese puffs of Bin 36 past. Not one to be negative, but with so many exciting places to choose from in Chicago, I'd hesitate to return unless the menu is updated.
- PhilVIPDined on 5/8/2014First time in quite awhile that I have been to Bin 36 although I used to go often. It still is an excellent restaurant. Great wine menu, excellent cheese plates, small menu but varied enough to please most. I love their roasted chicken. It was much quieter than it used to be but I assume it is no longer trendy, just still good. I liked the decrease noise level as there were 6 of us and noise enough ourselves. Glad I re-visited this old favorite.Special Features:
- BoringPhilVIPDined on 5/8/2014I've been to Bin36 a couple of times over the past five years and always enjoyed dinning there. Apparently, the management is resting on their laurels because their menu is blah. I ordered the monk fish and it was overcooked and dry. With so many great restaurants in Chicago I'll go elsewhere next time.Special Features:
- Nice Workday Lunch Spotdine4enjoymentDined on 5/7/2014I had been to Bin 36 for events, but never to dine until now. I really enjoyed the experience. The Rare Ahi Tuna salad was delicious. I forgot to ask for dressing on the side, but that was okay as the salad was not heavily dressed. I really enjoyed the mushroom walnut soup, which was blended. I would have been even better with a few walnuts on top for garnish. Overall, good experience I hope to have again soon.Special Features:
- True hospitalityElle1Dined on 5/3/2014My friend and I entered the restaurant and were promptly seated by a nice man dressed in a suit (the owner, maybe?). I approached him when we did not get a service after sitting approximately 8-10 minutes. He, then promptly took care of us for an hour with complimentary wine and cheese, then continued to check on us the rest of the evening. TRUE CUSTOMER SERVICE. His great hospitality would take me back several times and would highly recommend it for friends. ANDDDD GREAT AMBIANCE!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't fall for "cheese pairing"OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 5/3/2014The cheese plates were way overpriced. They charge you $17.40 for four very small pieces of cheese, as part of their cheese "pairing" appetizer. Don't fall for it.
- Trout perfectionDDWdinerDined on 5/3/2014Alright already, the cheese plate special was also spectacular! Dined with a group of eight. Something for everyone, including my gluten free, vegetarian and non pork eating friends. Service was great although getting food to table was a little slower than expected. This did not affect our experience. We had a great time and I would definitely return. I loved the fact that they serve wine flights and 1/2 glasses of wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real treatMikeDined on 5/1/2014Every time we eat at Bin 36 we're happy! Enough said!Special Features:
- Fun & Delicious!ElleDined on 4/29/2014We were at a medical convention and took a group to BIN 36. What fun selecting our wine and cheese flights. And, the food was scrumptious too....Special Features:
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/26/2014Very nice selection of wines. Immense choice of cheeses. Prompt service. Knowledgeable staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and interestingJimboDined on 4/26/2014Three of us went there for dinner. The cheese plate gave us a good start. We all tried different wine flights, a nice way to try new wines. The wines are mostly good, not great. All entrées were prepared nicely, again good, not great. Service was very good - informed and attentive. A bright lively place, apparently popular for girls nights out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/25/2014This was the first time we'd been to Bin 36 in many years. The food was excellent. We all enjoyed the different dishes we had. There are many wines on the wine list. The dining room we were seated in was very bland and almost looked as if it was extra unused space pressed into service. Clearly it wasn't but that's how it felt.Special Features:
- Air Force friends reunionRetiredDined on 4/24/2014We are retired Air Force wives who have lived all over the world. Dining experience and food outstanding. Wine, food , dessert best ever. Will recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place.mmmmmVIPDined on 4/21/2014Our service was wonderful. I used to come here all of the time and had not been in years. It was even better than I had remembered and such a wonderful place to go with friends on a weekday night. The wine was the best Pino Noir I have ever had and the food was just as wonderful. We enjoyed hummus, lentils, muscles, and even rapini. I would highly suggest going.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter BrunchJillyDined on 4/20/2014This will be this third year we have had brunch at Bin 36 for Easter. We are 2 people. The food selection is very good and has something for everyone. I thought that this year the desserts were kind of skimmpy and the beef was not very tender, but other than that we were very happy, as usual.Special Features:
- So soBellatrixxVIPDined on 4/20/2014Went for Easter brunch. It wasn't anything special. They provided a buffet with average food. For the price I was expecting more food and more of a selection. Just isn't a place I would recommended for food.
- Fab brunchjojettDined on 4/20/2014Outstanding Easter brunch. Second year in a row for this occasion. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality ExperienceJadflyDined on 4/20/2014I'm not a wine drinker so wine bars are pretty much lost on me. I had breakfast, and later Easter brunch at Bin 36. The food and service were very good; some of the best scrambled eggs I've had in some time. The buffet style brunch offered plenty of selections and everything was either freshly or well prepared. Bin 36 is an open/airy environment in a convenient location. I prefer a more subdued atmosphere, but it fit the bill for what I wanted. You won't have any disappointments here. Reasonably priced and if you are a wino, all the better.Special Features:
- A gem of a place!EusebioDined on 4/18/2014This restaurant is a place where one can enjoy good food, cheeses, wines and delectable dessert at a reasonable price, with a pleasurable learning experience that exposes the palate to a cuisine of the new generation. Oenophiles will enjoy this place. The staff is knowledgeable and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining as it should beOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/18/2014Great time Friday evening. Very knowledgeable staff, superb food and wine. Looking forward to dining there when I am next in Chicago. Ideal for those looking for quality and a unique experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 Buck Grilled Cheesedebs13VIPDined on 4/16/2014You can't go wrong with a $5 grilled cheese and cup of really great tomato soup! Keep these $5 lunches coming Bin!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Wine bar, service so-soOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/12/2014I loved everything about BIN 36. The one thing, was the service. The server seemed completely uninterested and was not very attentive. It took almost 15 minutes before he even came to our table. However, the ambiance was so good and energetic that it wasn't really noticed. I will definitely be back and hope that maybe the server was having an off night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great wine, cheese and small platesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/12/2014Had the cheesemonger selected cheese plate, oxtail ragout, oysters and crabcake and a blended red. Wine and cheese selection are superb and come with notes with details on each. Highly recommend for date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for wine lovers!DavidDined on 4/3/2014I dined at Bin 36 with a group while attending a seminar in Chicago. Terrific choices of wine flights and a menu that pairs wines with specific dishes: Great idea! Excellent cheese plates and tapas. The food was very good and the place is an eclectic mix of wine shop and bistro. If you like what you drank, you can buy a bottle on the way out. Another great idea! Can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun evening, great serviceToddDined on 3/29/2014We had a great time at Bin 36 on a Saturday night. The special cheese flight for the evening was excellent, and the wines were paired perfectly. The entrees were good, but nothing special. Next time I think I'd rather have a wider variety of small plates instead of the entree (I don't know what small plates the table next to us ordered, but they looked delicious - I was a little jealous). Service was outstanding.Special Features:
- Great wine bad foodLannieDined on 3/29/2014The food is awful but it makes up for what it is known for which is wines and a beautiful tasting barSpecial Features:
- Didn't know what to expect...OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/24/2014But was I surprised and pleased. From the moment we walked into the restaurant until we left, the hospitality continued. Meg, our server was genuine, engaging and created personal service. I will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back for another celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/22/2014I first dined at Bin36 8 years ago for a birthday celebration - the experience was so great that we continue to come back for "celebrations" whenever we are in Chicago - great wines, great service, great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty food, Great winesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/22/2014Food was great, service was great, wine selection was amazing. Although they have entrees, we chose to share small bites. Everything was delicious and we loved the variety of cheeses. Ambiance was nice. Good-looking crowd; some big groups, some groups of 2-4 people. We were surprised it wasn't busier.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but PriceyJulieDined on 3/13/2014I had a travelzoo discount - it's actually the reason I went to Bin36. Without the discount, it would have been completely overpriced for the serving size.Special Features:
- BEST BURGER IN TOWN!Bin36RegularVIPDined on 3/13/2014Bin36 has the BEST burger in town! Great location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch Special 5 bucksdebs13VIPDined on 3/13/2014For 5 bucks you pretty much can't go wrong but Bin's burger was unexceptionable and rather overcooked. I asked for MR and I got MW. Disappointing but I'll still go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is fine, nothing outstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/12/2014Food is fine, nothing outstanding but it's among the better choices in the area for a casual meal with a great wine selection.Special Features:
- Its a beautiful place.hostesshipsDined on 2/28/2014Its a beautiful place.hostess was pleasant. My waitress wasn't very attentive. Enjoyed my oxtails and the flight sparkly white wines...my company was not please with the constant cleaning without excusing themselves and asking was we done with dishesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WIne Class with EnochChgoLvr2VIPDined on 2/27/2014We enjoyed our first wine class with Enoch, the somelier at Bin 36. The class continued as we enjoyed a delicious dinner with our terrific server, Meg. Meg selected four wonderful cheeses for the cheese plate, the blue cheese celery soup was outstanding and the wild boar chili was just what I needed to warm me on a cold night, along with the very interesting South African wines we sampled in our class. Not to mention the very tasty crab cake my husband and I shared, along with the unique bloody mary deviled eggs and aranchini we snacked on before the class. I look forward to more classes and more delicious food at Bin 36. I have been there often at lunch, but was surprised to experience such a different atmosphere for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.