Barking Crab Seafood & Bar
151 Swinburne Row
Newport, RI 02840Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Barking Crab Seafood & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.barkingcrab.com/
- Phone: 4018462722x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 11:30 - 9:00
Friday - Saturday: 11:30- 10:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Comfort Food
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We feature seating from 40-400. In-season we accept private parties in the outdoor section of the restaurant for groups of 100+. The inside portion of the restaurant is available for private parties anywhere from a party of 20 to a full buyout which can accommodate 250.
- Private Party Contact: Renee Cortellessa 4018462722x
- Cross Street: Thames
- Public Transit: The Barking Crab is located just two short blocks south of Newport's Gateway Center on America's Cup.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: We do validate parking for the lot directly in front of The Barking Crab for your first 2 hours. You will see our sign at the entrance. Additionally, there are multiple metered spots and public lots that can be accessed off of Thames St.
A word from Barking Crab Seafood & Bar
Barkinig Crab Seafood & Bar is the sister restaurant of the legendary Barking Crab in Boston. Opened in July of 2007, Barkinig Crab Seafood & Bar is centrally located on America's Cup blvd. in the Brick Marketplace retail district just one block off the waterfront. At The Barking Crab you will find New England cuisine at its best. We feature crabs including snow, dungeness, and king, as well as whole crabs when in season. We also feature live lobsters of all sizes. The menu also includes traditional favorites including lobster rolls, fried clams and seafood platters, beer-battered fish and chips, and for the land lover, Bone-In Ribeye. The restaurant has indoor and outdoor seating as well as 2 full-service bars and a raw bar. The main bar has 2 large screen plasma tv's perfect for game day.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Barking Crab Seafood & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
8 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (6)kid-friendly (5)great for outdoor dining (2)vibrant bar scene (2)great for lunch (2)hot spot (2)scenic view (2)fit for foodies (1)late-night find (1)neighborhood gem (1)Show More
- Real New England FareOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/20/2012Great spot for fresh seafood and excellent drinks.Special Features:
- Nice spot for a simple seafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/26/2012Nice spot for a simple seafood dinner and fun evening. Worked out great for our little group of tourists!
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/24/2012We were looking forward to east coast sea food but were disappointed; I had the Scrud and it was dry. In addition, there were inconsistencies like one meal having less bread crumbs and flavor than the exact same meal ordered by another person in the party or one person in the party received far fewer potatoes than that of others in the party. I will have to say that the meal was not any more impressive than that of our local chain sea food restaurants - sorry.Special Features:
- Service was extremely poor.OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/20/2012Service was extremely poor. Food was mediocre at best. Much better options in the area.
- Fantastic lobster roll andSuperluminalDined on 5/19/2012Fantastic lobster roll and fish sandwiches ... Overpriced blueberry lemonade!Special Features:
- ImlaynlowOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/4/2012Wonderful seafood options! Delicious clam chowder! My first main lobster and great crab claws! Had a fun time visiting with family and friends!Special Features:
- Not a good experience! TheOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/25/2012Not a good experience! The food was over cooked and over priced!!!
- Food was outstanding and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/13/2012Food was outstanding and service was super but the prices were outrageous for this type of restaurant.
- Good food, but we were surprisedDougDined on 2/19/2012Good food, but we were surprised that a number of the crab leg options were not available. So in a crab restaurant only the $50 king crab leg option was available that night (early in the evening). We'd read some reviews hat the service was slow, but that was not our experience. The location is great. Side dishes were tasty, but we didn't spend the $2 up charge for onion rings or asparagus.
- Food was very good and nice portionOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/28/2011the meal was very good overall. I had Crab Louie and it was outstanding! Fresh, loaded with lump crab and a more than adequate portion for the main meal. Also had fried oyster appetizer and they were sweet and tender, cooked to perfection. My husband had the fish and it was very good. More casual than I expected and family oriented during a school vacation. I would return for dinner but not during the week.
- We were there during a hockeypickymegDined on 12/26/2011We were there during a hockey tournament. We had a very large party (40 people) and the wait staff did their best, but the service time was horrible. It took more than 90 minutes for us all to get our food - including 20+ very hungry children. It wasn't until some of the parents got up and asked for bread and crackers that they brought that to at least help with the length of time it was taking to cook our meals. Some kids didn't even get their meals at all when all was said and done. Unfortunate because the food was very good, but a ridiculous and unacceptable amount of time to wait for food - no matter what size the party.Special Features:
- Definitely not worth the money!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/26/2011Definitely not worth the money! Everyone found their meals disappointing. We would not recommend the restaurant.Special Features:
- Fresh Seafood in Newport RILuv2doWIneVIPDined on 11/26/2011Delicious seafood in Newport, RI. Loved the cold lobster roll. It was chuck full of fresh lobster meat and tasted so good. NE clam chowder was excellent too. Everyone enjoyed their meals. A bit pricey but worth the trip:)
- Decent food, awful serviceAnnieDined on 11/11/2011The food we ordered at our late lunch was decent, but the service today was awful. If you go in expecting the same type of experience as the one in Boston, you'll be pretty disappointed. It took 20 minutes for anyone to come to our table, then after ordering our drinks (two beers and two waters), we waited another 10 minutes, only for the bartender (not our server) to bring us one of the beers. When we asked our server, she said, "oh, hold on" and a few minutes later came back with waters and a soda, instead of the beer that was ordered. When that was pointed out, she said, "oh, we don't have that beer anymore. Our beer selection has changed a lot since that menu came out." Go with low expectations for service. The crab cakes were great.Special Features:
- Went here for a group get-togetherScottVIPDined on 10/22/2011Went here for a group get-together on a Saturday night. Although the restaurant didn't seem that busy and there were empty tables nearby, we were not happy with the service. We sat there for 15 minutes before anyone came by and waited at least 15 minutes more for drinks. When the food came out, many of the items were lukewarm. I probably would not rush back.
- Won't go there again : (lisalisaVIPDined on 10/21/2011I have been to the Barking Crab in Boston and enjoyed it so I decided to go while visiting Newport. Bottom line, the food was good the service was terrible. We got there on a Friday night (8:30pm). The restaurant was not busy. We were seated in a corner way in the back. We waited 10 minutes before anyone helped us - when she finally did,she ran by and said " I'll be right with you" -we didn't see her for another10 minutes. The waitress did not snooker and was not friendly when she finally came to take out order. The food was good but took a very long time to arrive. We ended up eating at 9:30! Finally during dinner, two servers opened the large garage type dootheir summer dining. We froze and they would not close it! BAD!Special Features:
- Not worth a waitIronChefScottishDined on 10/16/2011Disappointing experience. Very limited menu. Chaotic atmosphere. Few choices for kids. Price higher then could be justified.
- They were very accomodatingUncleHarryVIPDined on 10/13/2011They were very accomodating with the reservation, since we were running very late driving to Newport. They held the reservation for 1 hour. food was plentyful and hot - maybe this was due to the late hour, but we were very pleased with the dinner.
- I want to really love theOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/8/2011I want to really love the barking crab - but it seems to disappoint in some area each time! Although I think the food is pretty good - the service could be better and when we ate there on Saturday - it took SO LONGGGGGGGG. OK - I know it was crowded and crazy in Newport given the warm weather but still the wait was way too long for apps and the kids meals. I do like the food, the ambiance is good - but the service and waiting for dinner for over an hour - was dreadful! I'll go back - and hope for better each time.
- Food was excellent. ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/4/2011Food was excellent. Service was very good. A little overpriced.Special Features:
- Overall I thought that BarkingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/3/2011Overall I thought that Barking Crab was tremendously over priced for what it was. My lobster was average, with little flavor and the side dishes were terrible (and again overpriced). I probably would only go back if there was nothing else.Special Features:
- Food was so so, they can doOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/26/2011Food was so so, they can do better for the price they charge..Special Features:
- Catch of day was overcookedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/21/2011Catch of day was overcooked and tough and the swordfish was dry as can be. The only good thing was the New England Clam Chowder.
- I had read the reviews regardingKatLowDined on 8/18/2011I had read the reviews regarding so-so food but was looking for a place to have a family reunion of sorts, with some younger kids in tow. A friend recommended it and it was on Open Table, which was a plus for large reservations. Fortunately it was pretty quiet that night so we, and another group of 10, had a large room to ourselves. One group didn't disturb the other! It did take more than 10 minutes for our waiter to come take our drink order and then another 10 to come back and take our food order. I don't know if they were shorthanded or not, but considering the place was pretty empty, it was a bit disappointing. Food wise, I was hoping for nice crispy fried scallops (this is a seafood place after all) but they were pretty soggy.Special Features:
- Kids meal is a huge rip-offShelbyDined on 8/13/2011The lobster roll was impressive. There was a substantial amount of lobster meat in it and well worth the price. The kids meal on the otherhand was a huge rip-off. I ordered my daughter the fish and fries but asked to substitute the fries for corn on the cob. I did this for health reasons and I know she doesn't like french fries. I had to pay an extra $2 for the corn!!! Her kids meal ended up being $9.50! Give me a break!Special Features:
- I had a great time and theOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/10/2011I had a great time and the food was great like always.Special Features:
- Good for Kids!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/7/2011Barking Crab didn't disappoint since we've been a bunch of times and all has been good each time. Lobster BLT was good - lots of lobster and fairly priced. Kids meals are generous and its a good spot for them...loud and not too stuffy! :) Perfect with kids. Will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Food was very good, we hadOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/5/2011Food was very good, we had the The Rockport - 2 whole Maine lobsters, 6 shrimp, 1 pound of clams,chourico, corn on the cob, and red bliss potatoes Delicious !!!!!Special Features:
- Really overpriced. SerivceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/4/2011Really overpriced. Serivce was good, but the food was nothing special. Seemed like it was frozen to microwave.
- It was awful. Food wasn'tmeg916VIPDined on 7/30/2011It was awful. Food wasn't fresh, and the staff were not trained or attentive to our needs. Noone cleared any dishes from our table throughout the entire meal. We couldn't find our server half the time. We even stacked the dishes, but no one got the clue. The icing on the cake was the ladies room. I found it a mess - garbage overflowing everywhere, water all over the sink and floor, etc. I ran into a staff member as I came out and told her the place needed attending to, and she said, "Oh, I'll get someone. It's not MY job!". Yikes! The place needs a management team that cares enough to train and supervise the staff
- Not a pleasurable experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/30/2011Not a pleasurable experience at all...very disappointed in the food
- Nice selection, a bit pricey.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/30/2011Nice selection, a bit pricey. Service needed some fine tuning.Special Features:
- Waiter wasn't as faithfulOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/28/2011Waiter wasn't as faithful as he could have been in checking on us- we had to flag someone else down for a few things we needed. He was very helpful in explaining menu choices however and did a good job making menu suggestions. It was a little overpriced compared to other area restaurants offering similar items, as we found out the following day, but overall was a nice experience. Good choice for a stop on our mini-vacation.Special Features:
- Two stars at bestOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/27/2011What a shame. After reading other reviews on this restaurant. They reviews were mixed. I wanted to see for myself. But was very disapointed. Ordered "steamers" as an appetizer. The seasoning they used was way to overpowering. You couldn't taste the steamer at all. Not to mention they were gritty. The Dungeness crabs were the highlight of the night. However, you don't get any sides for a very high priced entree. Finally, the server was very forgetful and had a non friendly attitude and personality. We had to ask for more butter twice, and didn't get it until the end. Once the check came it wasn't spilt how we asked. Overall, I would not recommend The Barking Crab. Plenty of other great restaurants with awsome seafood and much better service.
- No trip to Newport is completeugabooVIPDined on 7/27/2011No trip to Newport is complete without seafood. We chose barking Crab for lunch on a Wednesday afternoon. Place was busy, but service was prompt. Had the fried clams and shrimp cocktail for aps. Clams were so good, light batter, not greasy. The shrimp were large and firm and tasty. Had a naked lobster roll and a a lobster BLT for our meals and the roll was full of lobster, claws and knuckles, no tails, and the lobster BLT had lobster salad in it, mixed with mayo. Both were excellent. Cant wait to go back!Special Features:
- Food is good. Service startedBirthdayplannerDined on 7/16/2011Food is good. Service started a little slow, but became very friendly and helpful.
- ridiculously loud, slow servicenotimpressedDined on 7/16/2011ridiculously loud, slow service at prices far beyond quality of food
- We ordered salads, crab legsOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/16/2011We ordered salads, crab legs and a steak. The service was mediocre, had to repeat requests. The steak was completely dried out and tasteless. When the bill came back to be signed it was soaking wet as was my credit card. Definitely overpriced and unimpressive.
- The food is good for whenOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/12/2011The food is good for when you are in the mood for seafood. While the prices are higher than in more remote restaurants ($31 for a lobster roll) it is well prepared. I dined there at about 1:30 and the place was still busy with tourists such as myself. Very few locals that I could tell by. The service was slow in the beginning but the food came out fast after ordering. My only gripe is the loud music coming from the bar next door.Special Features:
- Shells everywhere great serviceCatherineprovVIPDined on 7/7/2011Service was excellent ... Very friendly. Food on the other hand... Oysters had so much shel in them and we found plastic in our calamari. Good for very casual dining. Just hire someone who can shuck an oyster better.Special Features: