Barking Crab Boston
88 Sleeper Street
Boston, MA 02210Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Barking Crab Boston
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.barkingcrab.com/
- Phone: 6174262722x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Our Tent is only open on Friday & Saturday evenings through October 31st.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Jose Escueda
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org/617-426-0872 for details
- Private Party Facilities: We feature seating from 40-155. In-season we accept private parties in the outdoor section of the restaurant for groups of 100+. The inside portion of the restaurant is available for private parties of 40-55 people. Please contact email@example.com/617-426-0872 for details
- Private Party Contact: Matt White 617-426-0872x
- Entertainment: . The "Wicked Hanging Chads" check our website for show times.
- Special Events: Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org/617-426-0872 for details
A word from Barking Crab Boston
Barking Crab is a landmark Boston seafood restaurant celebrating our 20th season. Located on the Fort Point Channel in Boston's Seaport District, The Barking Crab features fresh crabs, lobsters, and day-boat fish brought in each morning. We feature traditional New England fare served in a funky urban clam-shack setting. We have a full bar including over 15 regional micro brews, cocktails, and an approachable value-priced wine list. We are family friendly and a short 2 minute walk from the Boston Children's Museum. Other area attractions include the Institute of Contemporary Art, Harpoon Brewery, the Harbor-walk, Boston Convention and Exhibition Center, and Boston's Financial District.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Barking Crab Boston - Best Restaurants in South Boston ›
Barking Crab Boston reviews from OpenTable diners
116 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
great for outdoor dining (64)good for groups (51)scenic view (50)kid-friendly (42)neighborhood gem (25)hot spot (22)great for lunch (22)fit for foodies (18)vibrant bar scene (16)special occasion (13)late-night find (8)romantic (5)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Great crabCharlotteTravelerDined on 8/3/2014Open Table reservation honored right away. Great view, charming, rustic, casual interior. The Alaskan Crab legs were giant and excellent. The Fried Combo Platter started out ok but quickly turned soggy and definitely not so good. Good beer list. Very good service - the waitstaff hustles to serve, help and clean tables. Glad we went for the experience and the crab.Special Features:
- H2OfrDined on 7/30/2014Very nice dinner. Great Atmosphere and service. Great Food too except Oysters less good than expected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unique experiencemhunteDined on 7/27/2014We were looking for a unique restaurant to try while we were down by the harbour. It was almost too perfect as the rain that had taken place almost all day stopped just in time for us to really enjoy this awesome outdoor restaurant. The food was great and very reasonably priced. Although we had heard mixed reviews in terms of noise we are a young couple and enjoy/are used to loud bar type restaurants and that does not deter us from choosing where to eat! In fact I think it added to the ambience and 'fun' feel of the place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok but better food elsewhereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/26/2014Service was ok, Food ok and lobster roll was disappointing compared to other places we went to. The mussels were delicious but our waiter could not even explain how they were going to be cooked. Would go down the street on our next trip to Boston.Special Features:
- CDubyaDined on 7/9/2014Our family had a great meal and enjoyed our visit. Service and food was fantastic. Worth a stop.Special Features:
- Eclectic outdoor atmosphereMeliDined on 7/4/2014With the entire restaurant being primarily outdoors it's great for enjoying the harbor view while enjoying a beer and excellent crab! I thoroughly enjoyed the barking crab and always make it a habit to return there on my trips to Boston. Very convenient walk from the train and historical views of the tea party.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good, not worth the priceDaveDined on 7/1/2014I like the place, I like the atmosphere, I liked the food, but I didn't like the prices. WAY overpriced for basic fried food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Broken credit card machineKatWVIPDined on 6/28/2014We came to celebrate my finances birthday. I was paying for dinner (obviously.) When I gave my card they returned with it asking if I had a card that didn't say "debit" on it because their credit machine wasn't accepting debt cards. They suggested I use the ATM. I told them I have an out of state bank and would get hit with both their outrageous ATM fee and a fee from my own bank. My fiancé ended up buying his own celebration dinner. It left a bad taste in my mouth. They didn't offer to pay the ATM fee or anything. The food was good though. But I work at a hotel and likely won't recommend to my guests for special occasions without mentioning this problem.Special Features:
- The following 386 reviews are from the Barking Crab Boston reviews archive.
- good eatsYummyVIPDined on 6/22/2014In Boston just for the evening and came across this place on accident. Only the tent part was open, so if you're a small party get ready to share the picnic table with a bunch of other people. My friend had the grilled lobster and loved it. I had the king crab legs and loved it as well. Great view of the water. If you wanted simple seafood in a touristy place, go here. I didn't mind the loudness.Special Features:
- Exactly rightKatyDined on 6/22/2014My mom flew into town for the weekend, and her request to us was to find a spot that felt like the piers in her hometown of Corpus Christi, TX. Barking Crab was Boston's perfect corollary, and we drank beers and ate fish at the picnic benches right on the water of the Fort Point canal. (OT's reservations are for inside only, but we requested to transfer outside once we arrived) Their fish and chips were seriously some of the best I've ever had, and the oysters were so fresh and tasty!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous little restaurant!VacationdinersDined on 6/14/2014We researched places online before visiting Boston because we don't like hoity toity! Loved the Barking Crab!Special Features:
- Crabcw01Dined on 6/13/2014Made a reservation for 2 on Opentable but they don't really seem to understand what to do with these bookings. They were not ready to seat us at the time of the booking, I suggested we would go to the bar to wait but had to ask again after 15 mins for our table. We were eventually just seated on a shared bench other other diners - which is fine but I can't see how the reservation helped at all. The food was really nice and reasonably priced. Table service was a bit hit-and-miss but was friendly.I would recommend this to a friend.
- JeanaLoveFoodDined on 6/12/2014Awesome food,reasonable price and beautiful locationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Boston gemcrustyoxfordDined on 6/6/2014Given the way the neighbourhood around it is being swallowed up by new buildings, this quirky Boston gem should be supported and enjoyed while you still can. A great atmosphere, friendly and efficient staff, and good food in a great location - especially if, like us, your next stop is the airport!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/2/2014The service is not as satisfactory as we'd expected. She couldn't explain different types of crabs quite clearly.Special Features:
- Not impressedPennyMurrayDined on 5/31/2014I ordered the swordfish and was not at all impressed. I guess the fish was ok, but I couldn't really even taste it, because of the heaping mound of highly acidic tomato sauce on top (which was supposed to be an eggplant caponata, but I don't recall seeing/tasting any eggplant). It was also served on a gigantic pile on lentils. Honestly, who wants that? I was looking for a simple, fresh piece of grilled swordfish. What I got was far from it. My husband ordered the tuna, and it was raw. Yes, I know it's supposed to be served sushi-style, but it was pretty nasty. The waitress peer-pressured him into keeping it as is, but he didn't eat it because, you know, it was a big hunk of raw fish. Fried scallops looked good; wish I had ordered those.Special Features:
- overrated... stay awayOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/30/2014we knew it was a tourist trap going in, but i was expecting better food... everything was overpriced and food quality was poor... you can definitely skip going to barking crab...
- Add to your itinerarymorepleaseDined on 5/29/2014Great place for travelers looking for local cuisine, as well as locals to hang out. Great outdoor eating area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a lovely diner.NikyDined on 5/26/2014The food was lovely and the service was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Make reservations!!Mama2njDined on 5/24/2014I found this restaurant on Trip Advisor's website. What a fantastic find! A bit on the pricey side but worth every penny!! If you are a seafood lover, this is the place for you! Granted they do offer chicken and pulled pork for those just looking for a good off the beaten track place with a true Boston feel! Being from Canada, I loved having all the locals around and hearing them all talking. The accent really is fantastic and you are made to feel right at home. The only CON I would have is that the bathrooms are TINY!!! LOL Overall, I will be recommending a stop here to anyone I know that will be travelling to Boston.Special Features:
- Good food but not so good serviceSETBDined on 5/22/2014The seafood platter was big and a good value. My husband is a big eater and it was plenty of food for him. The fried shrimp were average - served with french fries. The lobster and crab legs were very expensive. The tent area was the only area open when we went and it was loud. The service was not so great. There were lots of wait staff, but they seem unorganized. There was some live entertainment - one man playing guitar and singing - he was awful and very loud. He just didn't have a pleasant voice at all and it would have been better without the entrainment.Special Features:
- Never SatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/17/2014My wife and I have been here before, and though not amazing, has good food, and on a nice summer night we made a reservation. We arrived ontime and were told to wait outside. After waiting for 20 minutes a waiter came out and took the seats we were sitting/waiting on for a table inside. On this we left. We work too hard for our money, rarely get a night out, and won't waste it waiting for good that isn't spectacular. Don't take reservations if you can't honor them.Special Features:
- man vs food missed this oneOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/15/2014We sat next a man from LA and we all wished we were back in LA to get some good seafood. The fish had more dough and grease than anything. This was very disappointing!
- more than a bit priceyfatnhappyVIPDined on 5/5/2014for the cost of the meal I would expect more than sitting on picnic tables with the sun in my face. the service was nothing special. I would think for the price of the entrees they would at least include a side or two. And then .....they failed to give me my open table points! oh my!Special Features:
- Great "Hole In The Wall" dive.3gullsandabouyVIPDined on 5/2/2014Very cool... Great water front dive. Good food... Okay service but they were busy. Parking is $17 unless you get lucky and find one on the street but that is very limited.Special Features:
- Great night!mllopartDined on 4/29/2014Was a really great night! Good food, amazing 10lbs lobsters. People was enjoying the food, the ambience and everything. The waitress was really cool, she sit down with us and explained each dish so we could choose the right food. The views of Boston at night were amazing. Totally worth it!Special Features:
- The best of BostonJOKADined on 4/26/2014Service excellent, food out standing. The people were great. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Boston spotlindalDined on 4/21/2014We had dinner at the Barking Crab to celebrate our soon to be daughter-in-law's fantastic Boston Marathon run. We loved it and plan to return to the Barking Crab every year!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/21/2014Clearly customer service is not a big focus. We sat and waited for 20 past our reservation time to be seated while tables stood empty. Also, getting refills was like pulling teeth and when it was time to get our bill the waitress disappeared! I love crab but the hassle wasn't worth it.
- Eatser DinnerDTaylorDined on 4/20/2014Spent Easter in Boston and choose the Barking Crab thanks to the food network. Either Triple D or Man vs Food was at this place and that alone is reason to go. The food was really good. The place is a seafood lovers dream! We had great service while we were there. The only seating was in the outside patio which was sealed off . It appeared that they were doing some maintenance work on the main restaurant. We would definitely come back the next time we are in Boston again.Special Features:
- Cool local spotAarongrn14Dined on 4/13/2014This restaurant right on the water in Boston is a "hidden gem" that had a variety of fresh seafood choices. I had the chicken and waffle and in principle it was good. It was on the sweeter side which took away from the overall taste but I would recommend it still! The Barking Mule (their take on the local favorite Moscow Mule) kicked well with a very good ginger flavor and I highly recommend it as a cocktail to enjoy! The ambience and sound levels were tolerable and the group seating at picnic tables was fun and a way to encourage conversation with other diners! I put this on the list of places I will revisit on my next trip to Boston!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE BARKING CRAB!ZorbaVIPDined on 4/12/2014The indoor dining room oozes with ambiance. Fun and casual. Service is always friendly , and lightning fast, while never rushing you. Great Lobster rolls and chowder. Good assortment of brews as well. My son (18) demands a visit to The crab and I am always happy to oblige!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Crab Legs GaloreOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/11/2014Got the Crab Bowl and it does not disappoint! The restaurant was a bit chilly for the kids so it cooled the food quickly...but it didn't matter too much because it was all very good. And the chowder was delicious...a little smoky in flavor...I don't like to use the crackers only when the chowder needs a little something...needless to say, the kids ended up eating the crackers as their appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A smile goes a mile!PhoebeDined on 3/30/2014I was excited to share the Barking Crab with some overseas visitors, as to me, it is a nice American New England restaurant that serves delicious Lobster and Steamers. However, the Maitre de, with the rude unnecessary attitude and the short, sharp, negative responses was evidence of someone who can't handle the pressure of this position..as the place was hopping. It was NOT a great introduction to the establishment. Thankfully the crisp Sancerre washed the bad taste out of our mouths, and the steamed lobster delivered. I certainly will think about alternative places to take my next overseas guests, who want to experience great Seafood and a friendlier side of Boston..as there are plenty to choose from.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything I had hoped for and moreLoriWVIPDined on 3/28/2014From the minute I stepped into the Barking Crab I knew it would be an experience! The service was wonderful, the waiter well informed and helped us with our choice. Shared the clam bake for one, fried clams and crab legs. It was sooo much fun breaking Into the lobsters and crab legs but beyond that the food was absolutely perfect! The vibe was fun, a truly enjoyable evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/21/2014Great place for Kids and great seafood. Great location and very good viewsSpecial Features:
- All Bark no BiteBWITCH11VIPDined on 3/16/2014Used to love the Barking CRab...not now. New menu, not inviting, no daily fish specials...disappointing...and how do you forget to bring 2 soups? Tourist trap now...I'll stick with the Union Oyster House
- Great foodKtoniDined on 3/8/2014I loved the food, really good. The service was very good too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The rustic atmosphere perfectlydaltoVIPDined on 3/7/2014The rustic atmosphere perfectly suited the excellent, fresh seafood. Service was attentive and prompt and prices were quite reasonable.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still an institutionTonyBDined on 3/7/2014I have been going to the Barking Crab for years. It may not be your typical high-end fish establishment nor would it be known for its extensive wine list. It is very reliable in terms of providing a very decent middle-of-the-road comfortable and casual environment with a fun atmosphere and decent seafood. My most recent visit was during the cold days of winter but I do remember a much more vibrant fun place during the summer. Like Anthony's Pier 4, the Barking Crab always be an institution in Boston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.