Barking Crab Boston
88 Sleeper Street
Boston, MA 02210Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Barking Crab Boston
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.barkingcrab.com/
- Phone: 6174262722x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Jose Escueda
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: we cater all your needs, email firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
- Private Party Facilities: We feature seating from 40-155. In-season we accept private parties in the outdoor section of the restaurant for groups of 100+. The inside portion of the restaurant is available for private parties of 40-55 people.
- Private Party Contact: Christine Coogan 617-426-5093x
- Entertainment: . The "Wicked Hanging Chads" check our website for show times.
- Special Events: Please contact Debbie Cannata for information on special events email@example.com
A word from Barking Crab Boston
Barking Crab is a landmark Boston seafood restaurant celebrating our 20th season. Located on the Fort Point Channel in Boston's Seaport District, The Barking Crab features fresh crabs, lobsters, and day-boat fish brought in each morning. We feature traditional New England fare served in a funky urban clam-shack setting. We have a full bar including over 15 regional micro brews, cocktails, and an approachable value-priced wine list. We are family friendly and a short 2 minute walk from the Boston Children's Museum. Other area attractions include the Institute of Contemporary Art, Harpoon Brewery, the Harbor-walk, Boston Convention and Exhibition Center, and Boston's Financial District.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Barking Crab Boston - Best Restaurants in South Boston ›
Barking Crab Boston reviews from OpenTable diners
110 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
great for outdoor dining (62)scenic view (51)good for groups (47)kid-friendly (44)great for lunch (27)neighborhood gem (24)hot spot (21)vibrant bar scene (19)fit for foodies (16)special occasion (13)romantic (5)late-night find (4)great for brunch (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Boston gemcrustyoxfordDined on 6/6/2014Given the way the neighbourhood around it is being swallowed up by new buildings, this quirky Boston gem should be supported and enjoyed while you still can. A great atmosphere, friendly and efficient staff, and good food in a great location - especially if, like us, your next stop is the airport!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/2/2014The service is not as satisfactory as we'd expected. She couldn't explain different types of crabs quite clearly.Special Features:
- Not impressedPennyMurrayDined on 5/31/2014I ordered the swordfish and was not at all impressed. I guess the fish was ok, but I couldn't really even taste it, because of the heaping mound of highly acidic tomato sauce on top (which was supposed to be an eggplant caponata, but I don't recall seeing/tasting any eggplant). It was also served on a gigantic pile on lentils. Honestly, who wants that? I was looking for a simple, fresh piece of grilled swordfish. What I got was far from it. My husband ordered the tuna, and it was raw. Yes, I know it's supposed to be served sushi-style, but it was pretty nasty. The waitress peer-pressured him into keeping it as is, but he didn't eat it because, you know, it was a big hunk of raw fish. Fried scallops looked good; wish I had ordered those.Special Features:
- overrated... stay awayOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/30/2014we knew it was a tourist trap going in, but i was expecting better food... everything was overpriced and food quality was poor... you can definitely skip going to barking crab...
- Add to your itinerarymorepleaseDined on 5/29/2014Great place for travelers looking for local cuisine, as well as locals to hang out. Great outdoor eating area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a lovely diner.NikyDined on 5/26/2014The food was lovely and the service was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Make reservations!!Mama2njDined on 5/24/2014I found this restaurant on Trip Advisor's website. What a fantastic find! A bit on the pricey side but worth every penny!! If you are a seafood lover, this is the place for you! Granted they do offer chicken and pulled pork for those just looking for a good off the beaten track place with a true Boston feel! Being from Canada, I loved having all the locals around and hearing them all talking. The accent really is fantastic and you are made to feel right at home. The only CON I would have is that the bathrooms are TINY!!! LOL Overall, I will be recommending a stop here to anyone I know that will be travelling to Boston.Special Features:
- The following 374 reviews are from the Barking Crab Boston reviews archive.
- Good food but not so good serviceSETBDined on 5/22/2014The seafood platter was big and a good value. My husband is a big eater and it was plenty of food for him. The fried shrimp were average - served with french fries. The lobster and crab legs were very expensive. The tent area was the only area open when we went and it was loud. The service was not so great. There were lots of wait staff, but they seem unorganized. There was some live entertainment - one man playing guitar and singing - he was awful and very loud. He just didn't have a pleasant voice at all and it would have been better without the entrainment.Special Features:
- Never SatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/17/2014My wife and I have been here before, and though not amazing, has good food, and on a nice summer night we made a reservation. We arrived ontime and were told to wait outside. After waiting for 20 minutes a waiter came out and took the seats we were sitting/waiting on for a table inside. On this we left. We work too hard for our money, rarely get a night out, and won't waste it waiting for good that isn't spectacular. Don't take reservations if you can't honor them.Special Features:
- man vs food missed this oneOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/15/2014We sat next a man from LA and we all wished we were back in LA to get some good seafood. The fish had more dough and grease than anything. This was very disappointing!
- more than a bit priceyfatnhappyVIPDined on 5/5/2014for the cost of the meal I would expect more than sitting on picnic tables with the sun in my face. the service was nothing special. I would think for the price of the entrees they would at least include a side or two. And then .....they failed to give me my open table points! oh my!Special Features:
- Great "Hole In The Wall" dive.3gullsandabouyVIPDined on 5/2/2014Very cool... Great water front dive. Good food... Okay service but they were busy. Parking is $17 unless you get lucky and find one on the street but that is very limited.Special Features:
- Great night!mllopartDined on 4/29/2014Was a really great night! Good food, amazing 10lbs lobsters. People was enjoying the food, the ambience and everything. The waitress was really cool, she sit down with us and explained each dish so we could choose the right food. The views of Boston at night were amazing. Totally worth it!Special Features:
- The best of BostonJOKADined on 4/26/2014Service excellent, food out standing. The people were great. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Boston spotlindalDined on 4/21/2014We had dinner at the Barking Crab to celebrate our soon to be daughter-in-law's fantastic Boston Marathon run. We loved it and plan to return to the Barking Crab every year!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/21/2014Clearly customer service is not a big focus. We sat and waited for 20 past our reservation time to be seated while tables stood empty. Also, getting refills was like pulling teeth and when it was time to get our bill the waitress disappeared! I love crab but the hassle wasn't worth it.
- Eatser DinnerDTaylorDined on 4/20/2014Spent Easter in Boston and choose the Barking Crab thanks to the food network. Either Triple D or Man vs Food was at this place and that alone is reason to go. The food was really good. The place is a seafood lovers dream! We had great service while we were there. The only seating was in the outside patio which was sealed off . It appeared that they were doing some maintenance work on the main restaurant. We would definitely come back the next time we are in Boston again.Special Features:
- Cool local spotAarongrn14Dined on 4/13/2014This restaurant right on the water in Boston is a "hidden gem" that had a variety of fresh seafood choices. I had the chicken and waffle and in principle it was good. It was on the sweeter side which took away from the overall taste but I would recommend it still! The Barking Mule (their take on the local favorite Moscow Mule) kicked well with a very good ginger flavor and I highly recommend it as a cocktail to enjoy! The ambience and sound levels were tolerable and the group seating at picnic tables was fun and a way to encourage conversation with other diners! I put this on the list of places I will revisit on my next trip to Boston!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE BARKING CRAB!ZorbaVIPDined on 4/12/2014The indoor dining room oozes with ambiance. Fun and casual. Service is always friendly , and lightning fast, while never rushing you. Great Lobster rolls and chowder. Good assortment of brews as well. My son (18) demands a visit to The crab and I am always happy to oblige!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Crab Legs GaloreOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/11/2014Got the Crab Bowl and it does not disappoint! The restaurant was a bit chilly for the kids so it cooled the food quickly...but it didn't matter too much because it was all very good. And the chowder was delicious...a little smoky in flavor...I don't like to use the crackers only when the chowder needs a little something...needless to say, the kids ended up eating the crackers as their appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A smile goes a mile!PhoebeDined on 3/30/2014I was excited to share the Barking Crab with some overseas visitors, as to me, it is a nice American New England restaurant that serves delicious Lobster and Steamers. However, the Maitre de, with the rude unnecessary attitude and the short, sharp, negative responses was evidence of someone who can't handle the pressure of this position..as the place was hopping. It was NOT a great introduction to the establishment. Thankfully the crisp Sancerre washed the bad taste out of our mouths, and the steamed lobster delivered. I certainly will think about alternative places to take my next overseas guests, who want to experience great Seafood and a friendlier side of Boston..as there are plenty to choose from.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything I had hoped for and moreLoriWVIPDined on 3/28/2014From the minute I stepped into the Barking Crab I knew it would be an experience! The service was wonderful, the waiter well informed and helped us with our choice. Shared the clam bake for one, fried clams and crab legs. It was sooo much fun breaking Into the lobsters and crab legs but beyond that the food was absolutely perfect! The vibe was fun, a truly enjoyable evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/21/2014Great place for Kids and great seafood. Great location and very good viewsSpecial Features:
- All Bark no BiteBWITCH11VIPDined on 3/16/2014Used to love the Barking CRab...not now. New menu, not inviting, no daily fish specials...disappointing...and how do you forget to bring 2 soups? Tourist trap now...I'll stick with the Union Oyster House
- Great foodKtoniDined on 3/8/2014I loved the food, really good. The service was very good too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The rustic atmosphere perfectlydaltoVIPDined on 3/7/2014The rustic atmosphere perfectly suited the excellent, fresh seafood. Service was attentive and prompt and prices were quite reasonable.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still an institutionTonyBDined on 3/7/2014I have been going to the Barking Crab for years. It may not be your typical high-end fish establishment nor would it be known for its extensive wine list. It is very reliable in terms of providing a very decent middle-of-the-road comfortable and casual environment with a fun atmosphere and decent seafood. My most recent visit was during the cold days of winter but I do remember a much more vibrant fun place during the summer. Like Anthony's Pier 4, the Barking Crab always be an institution in Boston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun place to eat; food isFullPlateVIPDined on 3/1/2014Fun place to eat; food is reasonably priced and delicious. Service was excellent. We like going in the winter; busy but not packed like in the summertime!
- Best meal of BostonAnnaDined on 3/1/2014We absolutely loved this place!! The food was well priced, awesome beer, and fantastic service!! I would eat here every time I'm in Boston!!! I can't wait for the weather to be warmer and sit along the Harbor!Special Features:
- Delish!SeafoodluverDined on 2/22/2014We decided to grab a bite to eat after the boat show! Tried open table and found it his amazing restaurant! It was busy at 5 PM when we arrived so we chose to sit at the bar! We were totally blown away with the prompt service and friendly staff! Prices were decent mans the food was delicious! We will definitely go back and bring our friends! Love Love!,Special Features:
- Shari was wonderful!CatherineprovVIPDined on 2/17/2014It's so nice to go to a restaurant these days and not have someone working there have that hipster type mentality. Shari was a breath of fresh air. Great service! Dunge ness crab was wonderful also.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice diningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014I brought my beau here for his birthday/valentines day and was pleasantly surprised with the nice time. When we arrived, he joked that I'd brought him to a circus, because the exterior looked rundown and kind of like a red circus tent. Inside was lovely though. The hosts were very nice guys who were quick to show us to our table. Our waitress was an absolute doll. Super attentive and lovely. The food was on the pricey side but well worth it. Headed to the bathroom at one point and was so glad to see the pretty view of the water. It makes me want to go back in the summertime! Overall I highly recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot, terrible servicezadnorDined on 2/14/2014The Crab is still a great spot on the water with a view of downtown. But the problems that came in a few years ago with new management persist: medicare food and terrible, terrible service. Food has never been its strong suit and, honestly, it has only dropped off a bit. But they are always understaffed. Badly understaffed. On a recent vita it took us 45 minutes to get a second round of drinks, and on every visit getting service is a marathon undertaking. If you go, try to make it a time between lunch and dinner. Also, avoid late May and early June. They always have several student servers who quit at the end of the school year leaving the restaurant even more badly understaffed with servers who are just learning the ropes.Special Features:
- Great winter diningMaymeDined on 2/4/2014Cozy room with a fireplace. It was a little smoky when we arrived but it went away Food was fabulous as always. Thee is just no place else that has that many crab choices especially in the winterSpecial Features:
- a fish misscecmcVIPDined on 2/1/2014The lobster roll and the clam chowder are the best of Boston but they could add more options as grilled fish . They are a seafood restaurant on the ocean and it's too bad they cannot offer a simple grilled fish for lunchSpecial Features:
- Didn't disappoint!seafoodloverDined on 1/1/2014We'd done a lot of research on places to eat and reserved this place well before we arrived (we're from Yorkshire, England) as we weren't sure how busy it'd be on New Year's Night. It was bitterly cold ( the night before 14 inches of snow arrived ) Within a minute or so of arriving my daughter was presented with a beaker of hot water so she could warm her hands ! The staff were so friendly, we chatted for quite a while and only stopped because the order needed to reach the kitchen! The food was excellent and plentiful, too. This ranks as one of our favourite meals this holiday, and we'd already spent a week in New York. Thoroughly recommended - enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafood - friendly serviceTravelGirlVIPDined on 11/22/2013We had such a great time at the Barking Crab - seafood was inexpensive and was terrific quality - fresh and tasty. Our server was super friendly and made sure we had everything we wanted - she was full of suggestions and was very helpful in planning out our stay in Boston. Crab Cakes were excellent and plating was very nice. Clam chowder was perfect - creamy and full of clams - perfectly seasoned. Loved the Bloody Mary's - there was a bite but they weren't too spicy. The only negative was the strawberry short cake which tasted good but was super small for $6. Atmosphere was bar-like but in a pleasing way - entire staff was friendly and helpful; the restaurant was clean and well-maintained. I highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Accommodating!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/16/2013Very accommodating as I was running late and my friend was patiently waiting, thank so much!Special Features:
- All we hoped for andoreOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/15/2013Service was excellent and friendly. The food was even better than we'd hoped for. It was a fun, tastey and memorable meal.Special Features:
- Loved it!!!! AMAZING food :)CaseyCDined on 11/9/2013We were given a table, away from the cold door, & instead looking at the waterfront, water, lights, etc. Perfect! We had amazing drinks that the bartender served up - my friend had a "Dark & Stormy" and I have a Tangueray and Tonic, which was quite strong & very good. She was very responsive, & checked on us quite a few times. My friend got the "Crab Sundae"- said it was amazing. I ate three of the dinner rolls we were served - crispy, yummy, etc. Not fancy but SO good! I had the Salmon, and it was amazing. I don't eat shellfish, and was going to get a burger, and was so glad I didn't. The Salmon was served sitting in an amazing tarty-creamy sauce, w/ a few capers sprinkled in, & served w/ a little cup of white, sweetened rice, & brocolli.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.