B&O American Brasserie - Hotel Monaco
2 North Charles Street
Baltimore, MD 21201Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
B&O American Brasserie - Hotel Monaco
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bandorestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4436926172x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday, 7:00am - 10:30am
Lunch: Monday - Friday, 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 8:00am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Matthew Kane- Chef de Cuisine
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: The B&O chef team caters all Hotel Monaco - Baltimore events. The Hotel Monaco has space that can accomodate groups 10-250 ppl. The Hotel Monaco is perfet for that private business meeting or a dream weddig.
Please contact our Director of Catering Randie Haber for details at
- Special Events: For private dining inquiries inside B&O American Brasserie please contact Events Coordinator Marissa Gossage at Marissa.firstname.lastname@example.org
A word from B&O American Brasserie - Hotel Monaco
Housed in the historic B&O Building and named after the Baltimore & Ohio railroad, B&O American Brasserie features an approachable menu of brasserie fare. Guests can sip on hand crafted classic cocktails while enjoying top notch service. The eclectic menu features hand cut steaks, sustainable fish and many vegetarian options. The experience includes a bustling bar, an inviting lounge; an open kitchen all housed a beautiful dining room that evokes modern sophistication.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
B&O American Brasserie - Hotel Monaco - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
B&O American Brasserie - Hotel Monaco reviews from OpenTable diners
80 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (46)special occasion (38)romantic (35)neighborhood gem (24)good for groups (20)great for lunch (18)vibrant bar scene (17)great for brunch (16)hot spot (15)notable wine list (9)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (5)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Beautiful setting, too expensiveAnnieVIPDined on 5/10/2014Beautiful, historic building, beautifully restored. The wait staff was pleasant. The portions were tiny, but expensive. My fish looked like an appetizer portion. When I pointed this out to the server a second portion of fish was served. This was nice, but should not have been necessary. The dining room was up a steep flight of stairs, difficult for someone with health problems.Special Features:
- Great experienceMikUltraDined on 5/3/2014We stayed at the Hotel Monaco and made reservations at B&O out of convenience, and not knowing what to expect. We had a great experience there from the food to our service! We could not have picked a better place for dinner our group of 6 ladies celebrating our bride-to-be! The bread pudding was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot in Baltimore!csjwkjDined on 5/1/2014The B & O Brasserie, which is just a short stroll from Inner Harbor, is a neighborhood gem. The cocktails are unique and well prepared, the food is fresh and delicious, and the service is outstanding. (Ask for Kat!) Pizza from the open oven is thin-crusted and creatively topped, and the burgers with caramelized bacon, blue cheese, and garlicky aioli are yummy. The roll could be more interesting, however. Take the walk up Charles Street to the beautiful former B & O headquarters and give yourself a treat! Check out the Hotel Monaco's marble staircase and Tiffany glass windows in the lobby while you're there.Special Features:
- PoutineDisadenDined on 5/1/2014Definitely pays to ask about the specials, their own take on a Canadian classic - Poutine, stuffed with their signature fries, Rabbit, Shortribs, Pork Belly and foie gras gravy, just a wee bit salty but very scrumptious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wedding dinner fantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/25/2014The management and staff could not have been better with our planning for a wedding dinner. They took care of the many requests for changes without hesitation and really cared about us. Food was great.Special Features:
- Expected more, got lessmanfrommdVIPDined on 4/23/2014I had been to the American Brasserie before, albeit a couple of years ago, and remembered it as being fairly good. Time has not been kind here. Although the serving staff and quasi-management tried to please us, the food frankly was not too good. Two entrees had to be sent back because they were cold and the other two were not prepared as ordered (0 for 4). When our replacement meals came (with apologies) they were mediocre and overly salted. It's rare when I don't finish the meal, but in this case it just wasn't worth the extra salt intake. By the time the dessert menus came, my party agreed, no más. Probably will be many years before returning. I hate giving bad reviews, but this one was deserved.
- Easter BrunchcecemDined on 4/20/2014The Easter Brunch was a huge disappointment. By the menu, I expected excellent food stations and lots to eat. The dishes in warmers were barley warm, and nothing special. The cold cuts were fatty and poor in taste. The desserts were dry, and the servers at the omelet station had a very bad attitude. It was also very expensive. The quality was no better than Cracker Barrel where I could have eaten for about $10 rather than $35.Special Features:
- old downtownOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/19/2014We expected to find more of a B&O motif, but only found a few posters. The food was excellent, but some might find the portions small. The pork tenderloin was delicious as were the scallops and the flounder. The oysters were tasty but tiny. The desserts were the usual variety and very good. Our waiter was attentive and helpful. It is located at Charles and Baltimore so a part of town that could use nice restaurants. By the way valet service was prompt and cordial. The prices were around $30 for the main entree. I am not sure we will come again, but it was a satisfying experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great disappointment!PeteVIPDined on 4/16/2014We had eaten at the B&O before. While it always tended toward the eclectic, it was always possible to get a simple steak or fish dish. Now the "eclectic" tendency has totally taken over the menu -- with the chef's rendition ending up as a totally tasteless list of offerings. Everything we tried was bland!! The drinks are good, however, but when in Baltimore from now on, we will look for other dining options.
- Very UnevenMaureenVIPDined on 4/13/2014This was our first time at the B & O Brasserie. Our waiter was excellent and attentive without being overbearing. However, we did need to ask for fresh bread for the table. The food was very uneven. The spring onion soup which was very creamy but totally lacked flavor. I had to hit the salt shaker hard....twice, and gave it a good shot of pepper too. This was very unusual for me to do. I ordered the pork loin which was phenomenal. It was incredibly flavorful and cooked to perfection. I don't eat collard greens but my friend ate them and said they were the best she had ever had. She had ordered a vegetarian dish which was just so-so. Food was either spectacular or not so good. For the money it should all be spectacular.Special Features:
- Amazing dinner and service!emurphDined on 4/11/2014My fiancé and I were visiting Baltimore, and we found this restaurant on opentable. Very nice ambience walking in. Went right to table. Waiter had extensive knowledge of cocktails and wines just by a description of what we were looking for. He also had great descriptions of appetizers and entrees. The roasted brussel sprouts were amazing. We hadn't been waiting long, but our waiter brought us conplimentary glasses of champagne for our long wait for food, but we hadn't even noticed we were waiting. Crab cakes and zucchini cakes were exquisite. Definitely would recommend this to a friend or even a stranger!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food. Not much B&O to see.JeffPDined on 4/5/2014Since the restaurant is named B&O I was expecting to see more of the railroad theme here. We were seated in the upstairs dining room and we could have been in any restaurant. Not a sign of anything B&O. The food here is good but was not served as hot as it should. My steak and truffle fries were very good. The crab cake could have been smaller with a larger proportion of crab. And the coq au vin was ok. One diner enjoyed the spring vegetable soup and our butter lettuce salad was fresh. The desserts were very good. Although we did not spend time in the lower level the bar seemed like an enjoyable place to spend time. Perhaps the more livelier lower level would have been better suited to our Saturday night dinner.Special Features:
- Love the food but LOVE the cocktailmrsfancypantsVIPDined on 4/4/2014I love seeing the combinations they have for their food offerings as well as their delicious hand crafted and unique cocktails. Just wished they changed the menu more often.Special Features:
- I was expecting morejehrbearDined on 3/23/2014After seeing this restaurant listed on Baltimore's top 50 restaurants I knew I was going to have a great dinner and dinning experience. I am a foodie and the meals were not meet my anticipation. Nice ambiance and service.
- great food and servicemsssDined on 3/22/2014The food and service was excellent. We went for lunch and it was very quiet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but HeavyLkeatsDined on 3/21/2014The menu was nice and food good but very rich. Even the lighter fare clearly made with butters, creams and bacon fat. Could definitely scale back and make selections lighter and healthier. Great service and ambienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good meal but overpriced thejazzVIPDined on 3/19/2014good meal but overpriced the best brussel sprouts I have ever had indifferent service at best. waitress was too casual, not very informed; delivered the meal cold. Find someone who appreciates your customers and wants the job; understands the clientele. nice settingSpecial Features:
- Fantastic FindOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/18/2014Couldn't have been happier. The staff was very friendly, the food eas excellent and they even accommodated our car while we went to a concert. Will definitely return..... many timesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth it1234VIPDined on 3/18/2014Attending a show at the Baltimore Arena and found this restaurant to be in the proximity - an area that does not seem to have much to offer. B&O might be good for that area but overall not a place i'd recommendSpecial Features:
- Solid option will not disappointOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/15/2014Good food and great service. Much better value than new hotspots in Harbor East. Waitress overheard we had a birthday and brought a free champagne toast. Menu is not huge, but has good mix of "meat and potatoes" and some "foodie" options. Highly recommended for any occasion.Special Features:
- Fantastic Find!foodlovrDined on 3/11/2014This was my first time to the restaurant, what a fantastic find! The food/atmosphere/service and drinks were all amazing - definitely recommend for others to check it out!Special Features:
- Great times!!TaosurfDined on 3/11/2014Amazing food and service!! Can't wait to come back with some friends and enjoy the great cocktails!!Special Features:
- Great brunch!AlanDevonVIPDined on 3/9/2014The Cassoulet Skillet is fabulous; best sunny-side up eggs ever. Fresh squeezed OJ was great and the portion was huge.Special Features:
- Great from start to finishHappydinerDined on 3/8/2014From the time that I booked the table to when the check was paid, everything was wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!BridgetteDined on 3/8/2014The lamb and pork chop was cooked perfectly! The drinks were delicious and the service was outstanding! We will be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner reservationStanDined on 3/8/2014Food was good but it took awhile to come to our table. Perhaps that was due to the crowd. We wanted dessert, but we did not have enough time to order. Our waiter, Rade, was very friendly and hospitable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as anticipatedJanetDined on 3/7/2014The restaurant boasts/exudes a more luxurious feel upon entrance than what was actually offered. Table wasn't clean when we were seated, though we had a reservation and it seemed to already have been set for us. They only offered 4 types of white wine in half bottles (1 sparkling, which doesn't count in that category in my opinion) and they were out of 2 of the 4! My appetizer was my favorite part of the meal- Maryland Crab Bisque, though I have certainly had better at other Baltimore restaurants. My entree however left more to be desired- I ordered the braised lamb shank with pumpkin seed risotto and butternut squash- lamb was flavorless, and they did not serve actual risotto- just chunks of pumpkin, pumpkin seeds, and craisins together.
- Interesting selectionMikeFromDundalkDined on 3/7/2014Not for those who don't enjoy a little adventure. Nothing was normal. Even dishes that you think were normal had an a thing or two that was different. I would recommend checking the menu before dining. Everything I had was excellent, though my wife had a hard time finding something she liked. If you are OK with the menu then I would highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food Good TimesFrankDined on 3/6/2014I went with a friend before seeing a play at the Hippodrome. It was a great start to the evening -- service was fabulous, excellent drink menu, and the food was to die for. I can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice placeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/6/2014We stopped by the B&O for dinner before a show at the Hippodrome. It is less than a 10 minute walk along Baltimore Street. The atmosphere and service was outstanding. The food was what I would expect for the price. I will definitely go back the next time I go to the Hippodrome, but I'm not sure that I would return (but I may) for any other occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It has a very limited menuOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/6/2014It has a very limited menu with high prices. Not a good value.. Some liked the food others did not.
- good first impressionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/6/2014This was my 1st time at the B&O, and I would definitely return for a special occasion myself, as well as recommend to others. It's a bit pricey, but I loved the ambience, and the service was very good ... was a little concerned about that based on reviews, but I was pleasantly surprised. The brussel sprouts were amazing, and the crab cake was very good but unfortunately served just barely warm. Overall, it was a great start to a wonderful theater evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hoping this time was a fluke...LoriVIPDined on 3/6/2014This wasn't our first time to B&O...we've had several great meals in the past. Unfortunately, dinner this past week really missed the mark:( . While we were seated for our reservations promptly at 6pm, it took over 1.5 hours to get through 2 courses and 1 drink (nothing ordered off-menu). We made our server aware that we were headed to an 8pm show --> she acknowledged with a smile and still took extremely long in between refills and courses (note: the place wasn't that packed). From the kitchen: the medium-ordered steak was prepared RARE and the Scallop entree (while delicious) was smaller than my salad appetizer with 3 medium-small pieces. Had this been our first time, we'd likely never return. Experience:Price ratio was way off!!Special Features:
- Guyot got it wrongOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/2/2014Guyot said B&O was one of thebest brunches in Baltimore. And while the service was good nothing could over the quality of the food/menu. Took me 15-mins to decide on what was the worst brunch menus I've seen in a while. My date ordered cold smoked salmon and the waiter suggested a shredded beef sandwich for me. The lox was not a great quality and the bagel looked like a frozen Sara Lee product. My sandwich was no better. beef was fatty, the roll was stale--and my fries came cold. There were maybe 10 people in the whole. So 1) don't listen to Guyot--it simply is not a reputable site; and 2) while the food was terrible, the service and drinks were well done. So there's hope... with a better kitchen manager, chef, and menu.
- Shockingly DisappointingJjmmaaVIPDined on 2/28/2014The B&O American Brasserie has been on our list for several years and we finally had the opportunity to go on a Friday evening. We walked into a overwhelming loud bar scene.and had a difficult time finding the hostess stand tucked away in a corner. I worked my way through the crowd to the hostess and waited 15 minutes while she chatted on the phone. It was another 15 minutes before they found us for dinner. They noise level in the dining room was so loud, we could not hear each other at the table.. The restaurant was in disparate of an updating, worn tables and chairs, menus stained and wrinkled, linens with holes, the overall feeling was the dining room was an afterthought. Service was mediocre and the food disappointing for the price.
- Wonderful Food, Delicious Drinks,CharmCityNoobDined on 2/28/2014Try the cocktails or sample from the extensive whiskey menu. All the food we tried was tasty. Though we made a reservation, we were seated 30 minutes late, however the dining experience was worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and great experienceChrisBmoreDined on 2/28/2014Very few things to say about this restaurant, and they're all good. I had been here once before years ago and decided to come back before a show at the hippodrome. Make sure you have a reservation, because it was busy. The food was fantastic, the service was very good, and the price was a little less than i would have expected for an upscale restaurant inside a historic hotel. We had a party of four, and all four meals were fantastic (the braised short rib for Friday's special was incredible). Parking wasn't bad, either. I would highly recommend this for any special occasion.Special Features:
- Not for older folks!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/28/2014I took my elderly mom and two elderly (over 80) aunts here for dinner before a show. The meal was excellent but the noise level was excessive. The biggest drawback is the main dining area is up a very long flight of stairs. We managed ok but then found out the restrooms are all back on the main level. Definitely not for the handicapped or elderly!! But our waitstaff was excellent and the food outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/26/2014Three of us dined at the B&O before a show at the Hippodrome. I have to mention that our waitress, Ashley, was fantastic! She was charismatic, helpful, and she got us out in time for our show.I would recommend this to a friend.
- HORRIBLEdisgustedDined on 2/26/2014Normally we don't do reviews but felt this one merited the worst experience ever. The only reason i gave this a one - star is there was no option for a zero. Rather than re- live the experience - diners and travelers do yourself a favor and go elsewhere. Over priced ands just terrible food and service. BTW it was a Wednesday not even a weekend