Cal's Wood-Fired Grill & Bar
1068 Riverdale Street
West Springfield, MA 01089Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Cal's Wood-Fired Grill & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.calswoodfiredgrill.com/
- Phone: 413-827-9353
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 12:00pm - 2:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am- 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 3:00pm-10:00pm, Saturday: 3:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Weekend Brunch
- Private Party Contact: Dan Goodin 413-827-9353
A word from Cal's Wood-Fired Grill & Bar
Located on the bustling Riverdale Road in West Springfield, Massachusttes, Cal's Wood-Fired Grill & Bar offers a creative, casual American menu with a vibrant atmosphere. Featuring a large bar area and separate dining rooms, Cal's is the perfect location to meet friends for happy hour, take your family for dinner, or to host a corporate meeting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Cal's Wood-Fired Grill & Bar - Best Restaurants in Springfield, MA ›
Cal's Wood-Fired Grill & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
61 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (25)special occasion (21)good for groups (21)fit for foodies (18)great for lunch (13)romantic (13)vibrant bar scene (10)great for brunch (8)notable wine list (7)kid-friendly (6)hot spot (3)late-night find (3)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Dinner Fridaylove2dineoutDined on 4/25/2014We ate @ Cal's on Friday. The restaurant was fairly crowded and thus a little noisy. Food was very good, as usual. I had Fried Scallops, spouse had Ravioli Chicken dish. The server (male) was attentive and efficient.Special Features:
- Easter brunch menu was greatOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/20/2014Must be one of the best holiday menus in western mass. Service was excellent!!Special Features:
- Never FailsmmadvVIPDined on 4/19/2014You can always count on Cal's for a great meal and relaxing atmosphere.Special Features:
- Great spot for dinnerMrsH1Dined on 4/11/2014Excellent service; very friendly staff. Delicious food! Try the beet salad and mushroom raviolis - yum! Very easily accessible from I-91; plenty of parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerspinDined on 4/10/2014Went for Mom's birthday with a party of nine. Very accommodating, good was delicious, service was great and they even brougth out a dessert with a candle for her. Everyone was pleased with their meals.Special Features:
- Excellent First Date Spotchelsc31Dined on 4/8/2014Took my partner here for our first date and was not disappointed - from our cocktails to the main course to the service in general, I was very happy with everything that happened. Overall 4/5 rating since our waitress only had 2 tables and probably could have been more attentive; but she was very courteous and appeared to be happy to be there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxed visit, great foodDB01085Dined on 4/5/2014Busy weekends, reserve you'll wait in the bar for a table to open. Booked through Open Table for a busy Saturday 6:30, arrived about 10 minutes early, and were seated immediately. Our server, Michelle, was absolutely outstanding. Knowledgable about the menu and the specials, and never rushed. Rhode Island Calamari appetizer, we each had a before dinner cocktail, two seafood entrees, finished with dessert. Michelle checked back to be sure everything was prepared as we wanted, never seemed to be rushing to turn the table. We weren't slow, maybe 70 minutes from arrival to departure, but sometimes a busy establishment takes on an assembly line mentality, Cal's and Michelle never made us feel unappreciated. Really glad we finally tried Cal's.Special Features:
- always good food. it was justOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/29/2014always good food. it was just very busy and a bit noisy this night. we were seated about 20 mins late from our reservation time but they were apologetic and on top of it. overall a great place to dine. will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyablec2westsideDined on 3/26/2014Good food, great service, nice atmosphere--an enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were meeting a friend thatLufoDined on 3/19/2014We were meeting a friend that we hadn`t seen in a long time. They were very kind and let us chat as long as we wanted.( It was a late lunch and not crowded) I look forward to going back. Living in CT it`s a bit far but do enjoy the other restaurant in that group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific spot!!BlandDined on 3/15/2014Third time here and will return again. Server attentive and food wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always reliably goodRJBWestfieldDined on 3/14/2014I love their wood fire grilled steaks, the filet Mignon was excellent. Fried Calamari appetizer was also delicious, nice light batter, cooked just right. June was an excellent server, very friendly and courteous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was very good. A littleOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/8/2014Food was very good. A little pricey but worth it if you are willing you are willing to pay it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad we had a gift certificatedatenightDined on 3/1/2014I won a gift certificate and probably would never have gone to Cal's except for it. We were very happy with the restaurant. Even though our waitress forgot our appetizer, the meal was good and we probably wouldn't have been able to finish our meal with the appetizer. Our food was good - I had Chicken Francaise over pasta and my husband had Seared tuna. We were pleasantly surprised. I would recommend it to others.I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatJRB23Dined on 2/28/2014Great place. Food was perfect, our service was great. Nice restaurant, decent location. Two very big thumbs up!Special Features:
- Overall ImpressionPlannerDined on 2/23/2014We really enjoy the food and the $21.95 Sun/Mon special. It would be great if the restaurant could better accomodate larger parties. The service and the food is always very good and we'd like to bring more people!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- could have been better.....jacksmomDined on 2/22/2014we had reserveration and still had to wait about 15 minutes, there was no where to really wait except in the doorway with the servers walking back and forth. Our appetizer came out in about 2 minutes....because it was not ours, we mentioned it to the waitress but she blew us off. I ordered the filet mignon which was excellent; my husband ordered the surf and turf, the shrimp was dry and overcooked as was the NY strip. The atmosphere was extremely hectic, the waitstaff were running around like a bunch of chickens, it felt very stressful. The acoustics where not great as the noise level was very high, but on a saturday night I suppose that can't be helped.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstanding68marineDined on 2/22/2014Made reservations late afternoon, had time we wanted for the four in our party, our second time dining here, everything was great, service and food, would recommend this restaurant to friends, great place to dine, no disappointments here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodJefFDined on 2/22/2014First of all, I was extremely surprised that the restaraunt was very crowded at 5:30PM on a Staurday afternoon. I had made reservations and we were promptly seated. We had the Grilled Cod, Swordfish and Chicken Francese. The portions were amply sized and perfectly prepared. Tomas is to be commended.Special Features:
- Once again - excellentSteveDined on 2/20/2014been here several times - always good - my family and friends all like Cal'sSpecial Features:
- Just don't botherOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/16/2014Honestly all the food seemed bought and defiantly not fresh. Dirty glasses. Way to expensive for the (bad) quality of food and portions are way to small. Example got gorgonzola bread as an appetizer and got two tiny pieces of (store bought) Italian bread w/ a smear of cheese. It was bad! Waste of my money! Waste of time! Super disappointed and I will never go back there again! Got chicken parm and tv dinners taste exactly the same... Yuk.
- bad nightPartyOfFourDined on 2/16/2014We have been here many times and have a had good-excellent experience. Unacceptable this visit. Party of 3. Sirloin- chewy, tasteless. Stone Pie-Dry and flavorless. The last was inedible. Pork medallions- Tasted of the Hormel,prepackaged/marinated variety. Over seasoned with unappealing seasoning, very artificial and odd tasting. Over-cooked to very unappealing gray color with a heavy, oniony, salty, gravy. Thankfully I ordered buffalo wings for an appetizer. (Which were very good)..so I at least had something to eat. I had only one piece of the pork and did NOT take it home. Waitress did not enquire to ANYONE in our party as to how our food was, or I would've spoken up.
- Very GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/16/2014The food was very good, I enjoyed the 4 course meal, I left with a good full feeling. I would come back to try their Brunch. I would recommend dining there to anyone who asks me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food at Fair PricesKaren4VIPDined on 2/16/2014Decided to visit Cal's after a trip to the RV show at the Big E. We are not from the area, so we relied on customer reviews before making our dining choice. It was a good choice. Service was attentive, and the food was very good. Being a Sunday, their $21.95 4-course prix-fixe was a bargain. Excellent calamari and salad prefaced a decent house made mushroom ravioli with sautéed chicken breast. The only minor complaint was the chicken was quite dry, but remedied by the rich mushroom sauce that enveloped the dish. Apple strudel with vanilla sauce was outstanding. My husband enjoyed the pizza Margherita. All in all, a very good choice for dining in the area. A nice change from the sea of chain restaurants along the same road.Special Features:
- Great place for a dinner outfftjackDined on 2/15/2014This was a wonderful place for a romantic dinner. The atmosphere was calm and relaxing. The service was attentive, friendly, and helpful. We will definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Fish in the areaJDinerDined on 2/15/2014Cal's is consistently good. The fish is well prepared and there are plenty of choices. The dining room is busy and can be a bit loud. This visit, our server was very good and everyone loved their dinners. Using Open table to make a reservation is the best, we were able to walk right in and get seated while there was quite a crowd of walk-ins waiting to be seated. The only negative is the lack of parking, it seems the parking lot is always packed and there are really limited options if you can't find a space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentines DayslimDined on 2/14/2014Everything was great will go again next time down and in the areaSpecial Features:
- hmmmmAndersonDined on 2/14/2014The restaurant looks good and the food tastes great only prob I b had was that the waitress took like 15mins just to take our order and the end of them meal another 10mins just to bring the cheese bookSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleased as usualadmiralDined on 2/14/2014Our meal was excellent as always. Service seemed a little off... waitress seemed to be rushed and distracted. Forgot to bring me my appetizer. Not a big deal and it was quickly corrected. We are just not used to them getting anything wrong.Special Features:
- Nice dinner, slight disappointmentCtDinerDined on 2/14/2014Visited Cal's on Valentine's Day. With an early reservation there was no waiting for seating for a nice table. Somewhat surprised only one special (considering the occasion) but regular menu has a good selection. Our server was'nt overly friendly but got the job done. Our meals were very good, disappointment came when I asked to substitute a potoato or something else for the cauliflower risotto that cames with my entree. Our waitress seemed unsure and then said that I would just have to take what it comes with on the menu. After salads, we noticed other tables had baskets of bread, so we asked our waitress if bread was available and she then brought out a basket of hot rolls. Nice dinner but not the best we've had at this price point.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!frequentdineDined on 2/1/2014We go out quite frequently and we were pleasantly surprised by this vibrant, energetic, and wonderful restaurant! The food was fabulous. Service was attentive without being overbearing. Great ambience. One member of our party of four thought is was a bit dark for menu reading. Highly responsive to severe food allergies of our friend. A bit expensive, but worth it. Tremendous choice for a special night out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday visit to Cal'sTSLSVIPDined on 2/1/2014Cal's was good for this visit. The Service was particularly good and efficient. For this visit, it was a bit louder than usual given we were seated near several large parties.Special Features:
- As UsualmmadvVIPDined on 1/24/2014Cals Never fails to impress. Outstanding food and friendly service.Special Features:
- Great restaurant. We wereOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/24/2014Great restaurant. We were in town for a train show and went there 2 nights in a row. Everything was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WowAnnabelDined on 1/19/2014To treat a son for his birthday and have it almost perfect, makes this special occasion all that, special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love to bring special friendsBestfriendsDined on 1/12/2014Love to bring special friends here. Never have been disappointed. Our server was not typical of any of our experiences there. I would still return and recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/11/2014I realized when we got to the restaurant I mistakenly made reservations for 4 instead of 5, and although they were extremely busy, they still accommodated us within 15 minutes of our arrival and our reservation time. Food was great, service outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Routinely Excellent in Every WayJWeisbrodVIPDined on 1/11/2014Great food, great service, and comfortable atmosphere are the hallmarks of Cal's. We have eaten here a few times and it is steadily a good choice for dinner.Special Features:
- Customer service was poor.BusterDined on 1/8/2014Customer service was poor. Hostess and server were mechanically friendly and not sincere. Food was good - not great.
- Surprisingly great!KeljonhorstVIPDined on 1/2/2014We needed to get off the road due to a snow storm and picked this restaurant out of the blue. We loved the menu, and all of our food was really excellent! Our waitress was very professional but down to earth. We will be excited to try the other restaurants by this organization.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.