A Fish Called Avalon
700 Ocean Drive
Miami Beach, FL 33139Neighborhood:
Miami Beach / South Beach
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
A Fish Called Avalon
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.afishcalledavalon.com/
- Phone: 3055321727
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Nightly: 6:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kal Abdalla
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: A Fish Called Avalon offers professional planning assistance and custom menu options for all of your entertainment needs. Our specialized hospitality service ensures that your group meeting, dinner party, cocktail reception, or special event will be a success. Please call 305.532.1727 to plan your next party.
- Entertainment: Caribbean, Latin and Jazz
- Special Events: A Fish Called Avalon is a perfect location for your group dinner, cocktail reception, company party or any special event.
A word from A Fish Called Avalon
Located in the heart of The Art Deco District on Ocean Drive, A Fish Called Avalon features Modern American Seafood with tropical influences, impeccable service and nightly entertainment that further captures the true ambiance of South Beach.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
A Fish Called Avalon - Best Restaurants in Miami Beach / South Beach ›
A Fish Called Avalon reviews from OpenTable diners
92 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (65)fit for foodies (49)romantic (45)scenic view (41)special occasion (40)neighborhood gem (22)hot spot (17)good for groups (14)notable wine list (13)late-night find (10)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (2)vibrant bar scene (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Amazing dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/21/2014The food was delicious, fresh seafood and our server Santiago was phenomenal! Highly recommend this restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good restaurantmedjine24Dined on 6/14/2014i went thee for my 21st birthday, and the experience was great the food was perfect a little expensive but it's south beach what would you expect the only problem was they close a ilttle bit too earlySpecial Features:
- Still continues to delivercrdlondonDined on 6/10/2014We first visited AFCA in 2004 and have returned on each subsequent visit to Miami. I am pleased to say it still continues to deliver the same quality food and ambience. We started with the shrimp cocktail and the special bang bang shrimp (both excellent). For entrees we had the crab crusted grouper and the tuna. Again both excellent. Loved the humous dip served as a pre-appetizer (although we were served our appetizers pretty quickly so didn't have much time to enjoy it). We were seated on the outside terrace (as requested) and it is always fun to watch Ocean Drive go by.Special Features:
- Lights too dimYdumasDined on 6/7/2014Overall the food and people were great. I feel they need a bit more lighting in order to see the menu and know what you want. Also, waiters need more knowledge of the menu and recommendations to their guests. Food too a bit long to come out and the restaurant was not at full capacity. Enjoyed the ambience of the location,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flavor sensation!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/6/2014Awesome....the bread with their special hummus is out of this world! The fried calamari, salad with pear cucumber& blue cheese, the grouper were all fantastic. This place is for foodies! Plus we ate outside with a great view and lots of people watching.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Miami dinner enjoymentYummyforSouthBeachDined on 5/29/2014Great food from drink to dessert. Grant was a fantastic waiter who knew the menu well. 2 adults plus 4 year old $200. 18% gratuity included automatically. Outside dining was very enjoyableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great endingSamiamDined on 5/28/2014My adult children and I were visiting South Beach on vacation and had our last night dinner here. The food was great, the waiter was adorable and very helpful. The outdoor seating was fun but it got a little dark. The dessert was my favorite, I would definitely recommend the creme brûlée. The experience definitely ended our vacation on a high note.Special Features:
- The following 885 reviews are from the A Fish Called Avalon reviews archive.
- Very good!RandyDined on 5/22/2014Great dinner, great food and service. Great sitting outside watching the South Miami folks getting ready for Memorial weekend.
- Good fish restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/21/2014We asked our hotel for a recommendation and a friend had also been here. We started with scallops and calamari - the latter was tasty but dare I say too much?!! then we went for lobster - whole - which needed to be tackled. It was good. My criticisms would be; we did book but arrived to find that they'd put us inside - so we waited for 40 minutes in the bar for an outside table - and they'd done the same to another couple; I'm not expecting fine dining - but really hate it when the waiter does not wait until everyone at the table has finished eating before removing the plates - my friend was actually still chewing when the waiter took her plate! Generally a good experience.Special Features:
- Good but not GreatVogelDined on 5/19/2014I think Avalon has ambitions to be a great fish resturant. And they try hard. Nothing to complain about really. But the ambitions comes with a price tag - its expensive to eat here and the food they serve doesnt match that level. It looks nice but doesnt taste that much.Special Features:
- GMAT24GGGGDined on 5/18/2014Too expensive for subpar food. Not worth the trouble of trying to find parking (which took me an hour to do).
- Great Find!double2luvDined on 5/16/2014Celebrated our 17yr anniversary and were not disappointed!Special Features:
- EllenEllenVIPDined on 5/13/2014Service was great. Food was great. Will come back next time in Miami.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service average foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/11/2014This was our third time eating here while visiting SoBe. The view and the people watching from the porch is terrific. The hummus served with the bread is very good. Our salads were tastey and fresh. The paella was decent. The key lime pie was mushy and didn't seem fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EllenEllenVIPDined on 5/11/2014Everything was completely delicious! At least 50 characters in lengthSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very NiceDaniDined on 5/10/2014Located on the lower end of the Ocean Drice you see a lot of people while you're dining an exellent fishmenu. Recommandable, but reservation necessarySpecial Features:
- Jurata GelharLauraDined on 5/10/2014Excellent service, food is heavenly, perfect location, overall hot spot!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Avalon on south beachOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/9/2014A fish called Avalon is one of our favorite seafood restaurants on south beach. we always try to sit on the upper street level seating so that we can watch everyone go by without them being in our face. the food is always good at Avalon and the creme brulee is a great dessert. the only rub in the whole evening was our server. he was very friendly but seemed distracted most of the time that we were there and didn't know the menu as well as he should have. We'd go back for the food and the views on Ocean dr. but we were disappointed in the serviceSpecial Features:
- Unexpected EleganceDrbtanshaDined on 5/8/2014This was our first time to South Beach and we weren't quite ready for the urban beach scene. But, "A Fish Called Avalon" went a long way towards making this a very nice vacation. All of the high ratings I found for this restaurant are greatly deserved. Our server was entertaining (just enough). The food was spectacular. We purchased a bottle of Kistler which was $50 less expensive than the restaurant the night before. I had the special Mahi Mahi and it was delicious. My wife had the Grouper and she loved it. The Spanish guitar background music was not over powering. And you were entertained by the unusual traffic walking past the restaurant which is typical for South Beach. We sat on the porch. Inside seating is available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a classic that won't disappoint...pjs64maDined on 5/4/2014This was a return visit for us for dinner and it was once again perfect.... we requested a table outside and it was ready for us upon arrival..... the food portions were generous and priced appropriately.... the noise level was expected being on Ocean Dr but we enjoy the sights and atmosphere so it didn't not take away from our wonderful dining experience.... they had a gentleman on the porch playing and singing live and that was a compliment to our dining as well..... after a very disappointing dining experience the night before elsewhere, we enjoyed and appreciated A Fish Called Avalon even more, we will return and recommend!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hot SpotGourmandDined on 5/3/2014Restaurant has a varied menu to meet all palates. I had the ahi tuna which was well prepared and served over an Asian slaw with sticky rice. Two sauces (one soy and the other, Mango, I think) accompanied the dish. There was a Wasabi decoration which I also used as a "dip." We ate inside which was nice and quiet. If you eat outside the constant flow of car and pedestrian traffic can be noisy. Also, there is a guitarist but he is drowned out by the surrounding noise. We passed on dessert. Nothing particularly exciting but there was enough variety to satisfy any palate.Special Features:
- never disappointssouthbeachohioVIPDined on 5/2/2014this place is amazing...it is the only restaurant in South Beach we return to every time we visit...we always want to try something new but make sure we come here at least one night for the music, the food and the incredible service. This time, Orlando was unbelievable. he smiled and said YES to every single request we threw at him.Special Features:
- Out door diningSteveVIPDined on 5/1/2014Food was very good. Our guests raved about the seared tuna. Escargot was wonderful. The best place to dine is on the patio. The sidewalk dining would be constant pedestrians going by @ inside is too dark.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thanks to the chef!!LolaDined on 4/30/2014We liked everything very tasty and délicious!! A really good address!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a great experience!Foodie57VIPDined on 4/27/2014Dined here for my birthday the other night. To start off the bread was great along with our wines by the glass. Super octopus and scallop apps. Loved my halibut entree and my hubby raved about his paella. Our server was friendly and helpful. A great first time dining experience and worthy of my 5 star rating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a must in MiamimomoffourboysDined on 4/25/2014My husband and I enjoy this place everytime we are in town, beautiful place with great cocktails and fresh seafood. Nothing better then that!Special Features:
- Spectacular SEAFOOD!!!BobbyUSNVIPDined on 4/25/2014Excellent seafood and excellent service! Thank you!Special Features:
- South Beach GemChefJamieAnnDined on 4/23/2014Great place for a romantic and delicious experience. You still experience the lively street but from a far classier setting. Try sake and taragon twin lobster tails..perfectly cooked...to die for! Seared scallop appetizer is also a must have. Interesting and diverse wine list to boot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fish service could be betterOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/17/2014Excellent menu especially the fish - recommend the octopus and mussels starters - out of this world. Welcoming on arrival, great indoor table. A little dark - number of customers had to use flashlights to read the menu. Service started off really good, nicely timed starters and drinks but then all became very rushed and uncoordinated. Mains arrived before our appetiser plates had been cleared and we had 60 seconds to choose dessert. Main course plates were also cleared whilst one of us was still eating. We gave this feedback at the time and our waiter was genuinely interested in the feedback. Definitely try it ...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good Paella5StartasteDined on 4/16/2014Seafood Paella fit for two. More than any one person could ever eat. Just split one order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great View. Great food.Lorenec3VIPDined on 4/14/2014Great view of trendy Ocean Drive people watching. Food was great. Had escargot appetizer, lobster tails for main entree came with green beans and mashed potatoes. Great flavor.Special Features:
- Horrible serviceRussDined on 4/13/2014That was my first and last visit. The service was horrible and the food was just ok. I should have gone to Joe Stone Crab instead of wasting my time and money. I came from really far to try out this restaurant because it was a special occasion for me and my wife and it was a huge disappointment.Special Features:
- Unproffesional waiter...TackzDined on 4/12/2014Very nice restaurant. Great food. Friendly hostess. Attentive water boy & food runner. Mediocre waiter, who was impatient, spoke to me like a frat guy & literally took the check out of my hand as I was signing it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Tuna since Maui!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/12/2014What a find! Called on a Sat. nite to say running late, no problem. Sat us right away, greeted very quickly. Sheldon was our server, was fantastic, read the pace we wanted to move at, and timed everything perfectly. Had a wonderful Calamari for an app with a glass of prosecco followed by the most beautiful, tasty tuna we have had in a long time. Hate it when restaurants throw the term "sushi grade" around when it isn't. They threw the twrm and meant it!! Wonderful night! Thank you A Fish Called Avalon and Sheldon!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- so disappointingJtampaDined on 4/11/2014Avalon usually provides an intimate and special atmosphere. However, during a recent dinner (reservations at 8 PM) the management crammed in families off of the beach without reservations creating a much difference experience. For those of us that make Avalon a must on every visit as the food is really outstanding (as it was this night as well), it was more than disappointing to have our night ruined so the Avalon could force walk ins off of the beach into small tables overlapping with customers who had spent time to prepare for an elegant evening. Not the night we had looked forward to for months.
- Great food!GrlsweekendDined on 4/11/2014Food was great, service was amazing! Just very classy upscale outdoor dining option.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!HollysDined on 4/10/2014I very much enjoyed my experience at A Fish Called Avalon. Food was fantastic, portion sizes were very generous, and the staff was very helpful! It was a bit too chilly to eat outdoors so we were bummed to miss out on the South Beach flair and people watching from their patio. I hope to dine there again on my next SB trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!LisaSVIPDined on 4/10/2014Loved the food, wine, view and there is nothing like sitting on Ocean Drive in an elegant setting watching the world go by! We will be back.Special Features:
- SOBE Treasurevecchio49VIPDined on 4/9/2014Wonderful experience. The food was great. The service was excellent. It is the best restaurant on the strip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No better place to watch sobeeNeilgulfcoastDined on 4/6/2014Right on ocean ave, the Fish called Avalon is the best place to watch south beach walk, drive and saunter by, in full regalia. Food and service were great - don't be fooled if you walk by at 2:30 in the afternoon and the place is dead - it's transformed a few hours later.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.