Grill 23 & Bar
161 Berkeley Street
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
Grill 23 & Bar
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.grill23.com/
- Phone: 6175422255
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm -10:30pm, Friday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm; Bar: Opens at 4:30 Daily. PLEASE NOTE: Neither shorts nor athletic wear are permitted in the main dining room. They are permitted in the bars and private dining rooms, as space permits.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Jay Murray
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Wine
- Catering: For Private Dining Information, please contact Brian Mills
A word from Grill 23 & Bar
Grill 23 & Bar has been Boston’s top Steak and Seafood Grill for over 25 years. Consistently named Boston's Best Steakhouse by The Improper Bostonian Magazine and Boston Magazine, as well as New England's Best Steakhouse in New England Travel & Leisure Magazine. Always striving to offer our guests the best dining experience, Executive Chef Jay Murray delivers only the best all natural dry-aged prime beef to our customers. In addition to the A La Carte selections, Chef Murray creates an innovative and inventive weekly Signature Specials menu, which emphasizes the region’s freshest bounty. Grill 23 & Bar proudly offers a 900+ bottle wine list that encompasses wines from around the world and is the recipient Wine Spectator’s Best of-Award of Excellence since 2002.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Grill 23 & Bar - Best Restaurants in Back Bay ›
Grill 23 & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
344 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (217)notable wine list (163)good for groups (127)fit for foodies (123)romantic (107)vibrant bar scene (70)hot spot (66)neighborhood gem (54)late-night find (15)great for lunch (9)kid-friendly (8)scenic view (3)great for outdoor dining (3)great for brunch (3)Show More
- A fine steak houseTarzansgirlVIPDined on 9/19/2014Friends suggested that we dine here due to proximity to my hotel. Had lovely wine (house red), terrific cocktails, a perfectly prepared steaks. The side dishes of asparagus and creamed spinach were delicious but had a bit too much salt for my liking. The desserts were among the most enormous slices of cake I've ever seen and luckily tasted very nice. If you like steak, you will be happy here.Special Features:
- Came For Tots, Stayed For JoshcamiDined on 9/18/2014Grill 23, known for its 23 investors, was absolutely f a b u l o u s in every facet of the word! From the first people to greet us to our first dish, the calamari was beyond spectacular. Although the dining room seemed to be packed, our server still made us feel like the only table they had! OOMF. We had the swordfish steak which was great & truffle tots and mushrooms as our side. We had chocolate cake and profiteroles--good; beyond good. What really took our experience over the top was the kind and hilarious Josh that made us feel very at home. Can't thank that guy enough for his fantastic service which totally blew................all other servers outta the water!!!!!! Love this place would recommend to anyone for any dinner experience :)Special Features:
- Very disappointingRoxiannaDined on 9/18/2014I took my husband here for his birthday. He loves a good steak, but I don't eat meat and I can't consume milk products. I informed the waiter of this. Most good restaurants can accommodate a vegetarian or pescatarian, and in fact there were fish options on the menu. However, when I asked for olive oil instead of butter for the bread, it took three requests and it still was not brought until the entree arrived. When the waiter did bring it, he also brought parmesan cheese, he said, it was to make up for the late delivery. So no bread for me. After the meal my husband was finishing up his $200 bottle of birthday wine, so I thought I would have some coffee. The restaurant had no soy milk, or even non-dairy creamer, so no coffee for me either.Special Features:
- DISAPPOINTINGJudyDined on 9/14/2014We had heard so much about Grill 23 that we choose it for our anniversary dinner. MISTAKE! They sat us in the center of an empty Sunday evening restaurant. Appetizer of tomatoes/baratta - tomatoes were cubed and watery and baratta melted making it like an unappetizing cream of tomato soup! Oysters and accompanying sauces were great - best thing. Steaks were disappointing - had the 100 day aged sirloin and 100 day aged ribeye - had much better for much less. Service was spotty at best dinner delivered to wrong table and waiter walked away and had to be called back. Not so great for a high end restaurant. We also had to pour our own wine-after it was delivered, we didn't see our waiter for long periods of time. We will not return.Special Features:
- 11 year trend endsOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/13/2014I've been going to Grille 23 for 11 years. I've brought clients and friends alike. After my experience on Saturday evening, I will not be back. Several dishes were cold and was sent back, and then brought back out COLD. Service was sub-par. They then tried to charge me for the cold meals that had to be sent back to be reheated twice. Something seems to have changed at this iconic Boston restaurant. I won't be going back.
- Great meal!SSssVIPDined on 9/12/2014Had a great time and a great meal at Grill 23. Found the restaurant via OpenTable. Was in town with some college buddies for a football game. Wanted a good steak and this place delivered. Not cheap but good was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OkayNYsteakeatrDined on 9/12/2014Steaks were very good. Appetizers, not bad. Side dishes were average.Special Features:
- dinnereatswellwhentravellingDined on 9/11/2014very loud at 8:30 p.m. on a Thursday, almost too loud for conversation, but the food was amazing. best crab cake I've ever eaten - all crab, no filler. tuna/salmon appetizer better than most sashimi; beef was extraordinary. no room for desert, but took coconut cake to go - awesome. server was great - friendly, knowledgeable. only wish it was quieter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Boston surpriseao920Dined on 9/11/2014Arriving in Boston in the late afternoon, we wanted to try and have a really good meal. Preferably steak. We got exactly that. The Ceaser salad was mediocre but everything else was wonderful. I don't eat steak often but I have to say it was one of the best filet mignon I ever had. Melt in your mouth. If you are lucky enough to get a reservation, you will definitely enjoy your meal. It was a bit noisy, as most large popular restaurants are, so not the best for an intimate conversation.Special Features:
- Tasty but noisySafiriniDKDined on 9/11/2014Lovely place and a second visit. However this time not in one of the private dining rooms, do it was very hard to have a conversation due to the high noise level. Good food and wine though and attentive servant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive, but not worth the priceConsistentDined on 9/11/2014White jacketed servers were buzzing around this restaurant giving the impression of excellent service. It was just that, an impression. Being seated next to the bus station gave me a good visual or what was happening. It was so loud, it was difficult to hear the waiter. Shrimp cocktail was terrific and presented well. The waitress (not the waiter who took our order) brought the wrong entrees to our table, set them down and when we questioned her, she picked them up and presented them to another duo. How did she know if we touched or manipulated the plates in any way or not!? The baked stuffed potatoes were not good, asparagus was flavorful and cooked well. I won't be back-- I expected much more for the price.Special Features:
- Great steakOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/9/2014A little costly, but a top notch rib eye, dry aged. Get the cream corn! Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Not greatLBSYDined on 9/7/2014This restaurant came highly reccomended by the Four Seasons Boston and quite a few friends. The food was ok and the service awful. I would not suggest this restaurant. Maybe it was just a bad night.Special Features:
- Birthday CelebrationPucksDined on 9/7/2014We took our dear 87-year-old friend to his favorite restaurant in which he has been dining since the 1980's to celebrate his birthday. The service was fantastic, the atmosphere marvelous, and the food was superb. We started with the calamari appetizer which was done perfectly and served with a mildly spicy aioli sauce. Each of us ordered the beef tenderloin which was served with garlic mashed potatoes and a delicious stilton/port sauce. SWe also ordered a side of the wonderful creamed spinach for the table. We could not have been more pleased with Grill 23 or our evening there.Special Features:
- Dinner at Grill 23MauiwoweeDined on 9/7/2014Dinner was very good and our waiter, Matt, was excellent.Special Features:
- HildaVIPDined on 9/6/2014Great food and service. Excellent bar & wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steakhouse experienceJImBVIPDined on 9/6/2014We have been to a lot of very good steakhouses around the country, and Grill 23 measures up to the best of them. My wife had the filet, I had the ribeye -- both were perfectly cooked and had great flavor. Sides were also well-done and plentiful. The service was prompt and attentive. One note: If you want to enjoy the energy of this restaurant, be sure to ask for a downstairs table. We initially were led upstairs, and it was far too quiet. We immediately asked for a different table downstairs, and the hostess happily accommodated us. I would suggest requesting a downstairs table if you want to really enjoy all that this restaurant has to offer.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014Food was excellent, the side dishes could be a little smaller, too much waste, even for two people. Noise level was not relaxing.Special Features:
- Worth the $$JMEDDined on 9/6/2014My husband and I wanted to go somewhere nice for our anniversary dinner. Grill 23 was perfect! The service, food and atmosphere was great. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sub Par eveningcmdrbVIPDined on 9/4/2014We've been dining at Grill 23 for several years now. This was a disappointing outing. Our martinis tasted watered down. The tuna/salmon tartar was forgettable. I gather the bone-in rib-eye was removed from the menu. The chowder was very good. The dry aged rib-eyes were very good but my wife's was closer to medium than to the medium rare she had asked for. The onion rings were very good. We were relaxing after a hard week and didn't end up complaining or sending things back. In hindsight, I think we should have put up much more of a fuss. I have to say, everything except the chowder and the onion rings, however, was below par. Hope this is not a trend!!!Special Features:
- Amazingboston17Dined on 9/3/2014Our server was the best. He was attentive and catered to our dietary needs. The food was to die for and I would certainly go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best AnniversaryBruncherDined on 9/3/2014Perfect place for a special date. Excellent service. Delicious food. Amazing experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for special occasionsDavidDined on 9/3/2014A bit on the expensive side, although not for a higher end restaurant, which this is. The food is good, the venue very enjoyable. We've been here a few times now, and have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and ambienceGiovanniDined on 9/2/2014Food was excellent and well served. To increase the way to serve wine, better attention on wine temperature, some some red wines need to be moved into a decanter before being served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- surpriseluvgoodfoodDined on 9/2/2014Outstanding service. Would love to give it 10 stars instead of the 5 they allow. My husband's birthday dinner and I called ahead to ask about a surprise dessert. They not only asked what he would like, they asked what I would like for dessert and they surprised him with his and then served mine. My husband was very impressed. One of our top places to eat. Rib eye to die for!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maybe just a bad nightOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/2/2014I have been to Grill 23 many times in the past and loved it. It has honestly been over 2 years since I have been here and this meal was very disappointing. Hopefully just a bad night, but for such an expensive meal, I would have expected the food to be SO much better. Tuna tartare was not fresh at all, steak was not great either (had to bury it with bernaise sauce for flavor). The sides were not special at all, felt microwaved, also weird flavoring....the profiteroles dessert was fantastic. The service was excellent, but with all the Boston steak house options, my next meal will be somewhere else...
- Outstanding steakLoveMyVeggiesVIPDined on 8/30/2014We had the three "Best of the best" steaks. The New York strip was excellent. The 100 Day Ribeye was even better, and the Kobe was out of this world. Appetizers and desserts delicious as well. Service, including the valets, was attentive and professional without being stuffy. A new favorite.Special Features:
- Nice EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/30/2014We went to this restaurant for a birthday celebration. Our server, David, was very attentive without being intrusive. He allowed us privacy, but was always available when we needed him. My companion ordered the 2 pound lobster and said it was delicious. I ordered the sashimi style tuna and it was butter soft and delicious. The caramel profiteroles for dessert were sinful and good to the last bite. The food was very good, but we felt the prices were a bit steep compared to other restaurants in the area that serve similar good food for less money.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014Had a 8:30 reservation, but had to wait until 8:55. The bar was crowded, no way to get a drink, and we were trying to find a place to stand without being in the way of the kitchen staff. After dodging people for 20 minutes we decided to find another restaurant, but on our way out they found us table. The food was good.
- Terrible experiencebostoneatsDined on 8/29/2014The waiter spilled my drink, screwed up our order twice, and told me the substitution listed on the menu was impossible because the food was pre-made...Special Features:
- Poor restaurant week menuRLlllDined on 8/29/2014My fiancé and I went for restaurant week, and we were not impressed with their food. I got the short rib risotto, which sounds amazing, but it was not. The dish was bland, and you couldn't distinguish the meat from the risotto. It was overall pretty disappointing. I thought the goal of the restaurant week was to give a taste as to what their normal dishes are like, such that you'll want to come back in the future for a non-restaurant week experience. Needless to say, I don't think I'll be returning.
- Grill but not a steak housegoogoolDined on 8/29/2014For me the Grill 23 is just a good restaurant but not a real steak house. The Filet for 49$ is ok but not I am expected. The New York Strip from my wife was burnt.
- Kimber123Dined on 8/29/2014I went with a group from work. The food was very good. I was slightly disapointed that our side dishes weren't more elegant than mashed potatoes.Special Features:
- eareyeDined on 8/27/2014Very loud, and difficult to carry on a conversation. Wait staff a bit pretentious and not as attentive as you would expect at this level of restaurant. Food was outstandingSpecial Features:
- Snobby waiterJordiDined on 8/27/2014I brought someone for a business dinner. His conversation was with the other person >90% of the time treating me like my partner kid. At the end, he paid more attention when I flashed my CC. Wine and food excellent but overpricy.Special Features:
- Old-Fashioned Superlative ServiceTardiBosDined on 8/27/2014Great atmosphere. Sadly, food suffered a bit. Better to keep steaks natural, with no surface seasoning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/25/2014In a word- incredible. The food, ambience, and service are all top notch and make for a perfect dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, pity for the servicejak66Dined on 8/25/2014The food in general was good usual steak house stuff. Service was a real issue and ruined our last evening in Boston. From the second we sat down it was very hurried. While taking the order the waiter knocked over a wine glass spilling it all over my daughter's cardigan and dress. It was hurriedly cleaned up, the wine glass was replaced, my daughter was given an additional napkin to dry herself and the order taking continued. The cutlery was never replaced. The wet napkins were piled on the table for over 5 minutes until we asked someone to take them away. There was no offer for dry cleaning or other form of compensation. I asked help with the wine list. No sommelier showed, the waiter just pointed out few wines with no real knowledge.Special Features:
- Food never disappointsdeejaygeeDined on 8/24/2014This was not my first time here and it definitely will not be my last time here. The food was amazing. I ordered the Daily catch which was striped bass with mushrooms and the food was phenomenal.Special Features:
- SuperbFrankandCVIPDined on 8/24/2014The food the service and the overlall experience were superbSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.