Grill 23 & Bar
161 Berkeley Street
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
Grill 23 & Bar
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.grill23.com/
- Phone: 6175422255
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm -10:30pm, Friday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm; Bar: Opens at 4:30 Daily. PLEASE NOTE: Neither shorts nor athletic wear are permitted in the main dining room. They are permitted in the bars and private dining rooms, as space permits.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Jay Murray
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Wine
- Catering: For Private Dining Information, please contact Brian Mills
A word from Grill 23 & Bar
Grill 23 & Bar has been Boston’s top Steak and Seafood Grill for over 25 years. Consistently named Boston's Best Steakhouse by The Improper Bostonian Magazine and Boston Magazine, as well as New England's Best Steakhouse in New England Travel & Leisure Magazine. Always striving to offer our guests the best dining experience, Executive Chef Jay Murray delivers only the best all natural dry-aged prime beef to our customers. In addition to the A La Carte selections, Chef Murray creates an innovative and inventive weekly Signature Specials menu, which emphasizes the region’s freshest bounty. Grill 23 & Bar proudly offers a 900+ bottle wine list that encompasses wines from around the world and is the recipient Wine Spectator’s Best of-Award of Excellence since 2002.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Grill 23 & Bar - Best Restaurants in Back Bay ›
Grill 23 & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
329 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (214)notable wine list (153)fit for foodies (114)romantic (112)good for groups (107)vibrant bar scene (65)hot spot (53)neighborhood gem (43)late-night find (10)kid-friendly (9)great for lunch (6)scenic view (5)great for brunch (4)great for outdoor dining (4)Show More
- DeliciousEnchantingDined on 8/22/2014My date and I dined at Grill 23 for Dine Out Boston. Had a really great experience. The steak was perfectly cooked and full of flavor. I am not sure if the pork schnitezel is a regular item on the menu, but I wouldn't recommend it. Very bland, and disappointing. The truffle potato tots were just amazing. Could not stop eating them. Our server was very nice and attentive. I would defintiely return to this restuarant for dinner, except they are very pricy.Special Features:
- Sunset Catina is betterminhddDined on 8/22/2014really decent food on restaurant week. Buffalo New York is too sour and salty, New York Strip is bland and pasta is bland, really nothing better than pub food. Would not recommendSpecial Features:
- Nice please, tasty foodplato79Dined on 8/22/2014I took my husband here for his birthday. They had great steak and great starters. I would highly recommend the smoked beef chopped salad and the kobe cap steak. Also, definitely get the house made ice cream - it was amazing. We'll be back. Great night, great service, great food.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerGpereDined on 8/22/2014The setting of the restaurant was absolutely beautiful. We were seated at a window seat in the corner which was perfect for the quiet, romantic dinner we were hoping for. We both ordered Filet Mignon with a grilled lobster tail. The meat was delicious even though it was a bit overcooked from what we had ordered. We had asked for medium and the beef came out medium well. The disappointing part of the meal was the lobster tails. They were the smallest tails I had ever seen with not much taste to them. You couldn't have asked for better service of the wait staff. They were extremely attentive and pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grill 23....The Best!MBagsDined on 8/21/2014I have been to this restaurant, several times, and I have never, ever, been disappointed! Outstanding...Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/21/2014Disappointing menu for Dine Out Boston week. Buffalo steak appetizer was hot - no taste except hot sauce. No steak entrée choice for a restaurant specializing in it. Bread pudding dessert was dry and heavy. Service was very good which saved the evening.
- Disappointing for Restaurant weekOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014I went to during restaurant week,38$ for 3 courses, and was looking forward to an amazing meal. The ambiance and service were wonderful, but the food shocked me. The Buffalo steak looked like a scrap that the restaurant didnt want to waste so they fried it, coated it in store-bought sauce, and added a large amount of "out of the bottle" blue cheese dressing. I understand the irony of a bar food at a fancy place, but this tasted like cheap bar food. The pot roast was alright, but this is Grill 23, alright shouldn't cut it. The Cake was very good, and honestly the only thing that deserved the name Grill 23. Long story short, if Grill 23 can't give the quality of their name for 38$, many steaks cost more, they shouldn't do restaurant week.
- DescriptionalfredoDined on 8/19/2014This place is fenomenal. Great scene, service and food as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exactly what we neededBreezyDoJoDined on 8/18/2014After a very long weekend, we needed a great meal to get our strength back. Grill 23 did not disappoint. We were seated promptly and our server was very attentive. The wine list had some excellent selections and the food was off the charts good. I had the Kobe steak and it lived up to its reputation. The Swordfish Steak and Twin Fillets were also raved about. The sides were perfectly done. Sure, it's a loud steakhouse but that didn't get in the way of great conversation at our table.Special Features:
- Go!!!!AGF68Dined on 8/18/2014With all the chain steakhouses in the city you pretty much know what you're going to get and that's where Grill 23 has the advantage it has nothing to prove it has earned its status. The food is amazing, the service flawless and without question the best steakhouse in the city. Independant restaurants will always focus on the guest and that was the case at Grill 23 the entire experience was a perfect 10, and I will be back.Special Features:
- ABC Restaurant/Nothing SpecialOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/18/2014These guys have the business dinner down. They have good service and know how to sell you expensive wine. The food is nothing great but what you would expect from a fairly expensive restaurant. Good location in downtown Boston but would not go out of my way to dine there again. Too many other places where the food is fantastic and the service is exceptions. There is a certain snob appeal about this place and I think life is too short for that stuff unless you like that type appeal.
- Special NightsportsbostVIPDined on 8/18/2014We were celebrating our special anniversary with our family and Grille 23 was a perfect place to celebrate! The service and good was outstanding ! Everyone enjoyed the bass special and Caesar salad. As we were leaving the resturant did get a bit noisy, but everyone was having a great time! Thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic and memorableOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/16/2014It's very hard to find a special restaurant... this is one that will not disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OlivadiDined on 8/15/2014Grill 23 offers an energetic environment, an old world allure, a great wine list, and a very attentive staff. This restaurant is suitable for any occasion formal or informal. The menu offers a variety of dishes to satisfy any palate or dietary needsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/14/2014Overall wonderful experience from the time we arrived. The staff were so accommodating to our request for table change and then gave prompt and courteous service throughout the evening. Great wine recommendation, terrific presentation of the food and delicious! Highly recommendedSpecial Features:
- Business dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/12/2014We had reservations for 8 they easily accommodated an addition for 9. Great wine selection, attentive service, and fantastic presentation. We had an all round awesome dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very GoodMshapsVIPDined on 8/12/2014Certainly Top Steak in Boston, I dont even think that can be in questionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's a steak placeBackBay2PleasantBayDined on 8/11/2014It is what it is. For that much money, why not opt for interesting cooking? A great place to take people who have flat palates. Especially on expense account.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SteakfatkidatheartDined on 8/9/2014Classic steak house feel it's exactly as advertised a timeless experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing steaks and experienceSteveDined on 8/9/2014I've been to all most of the great steakhouses everywhere I've lived and visited. I make it a point to go out for a high quality steak at least 6 times a year. Grill 23 is one of the best of the best. The food was perfect and the staff was excellent. The sommelier was helpful but not pretentious at all and made a great recommendation. You cannot go wrong at Grill 23.Special Features:
- Just eat the steakTreatMeDined on 8/9/2014The steak was out of this world. We had filet mignon and the ribeye and they were amazing. Tender, flavorful, and cooked perfectly. The wine suggested was terrific. The appetizers, sides, and desserts were okay, with the hashbrown and the profiteroles being a bit burned. Morton's has better apps, sides, and desserts. They did put us in a quieter room, but the time it took us to walk there made it feel like we were in a factory. This place is gigantic, which was not what we expected from a non-chain.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb serviceLauraTDined on 8/9/2014The food and ambiance was great, but what made the evening special was after asking for an item we had previously enjoyed which was no longer on the menu, they brought it in from their sister restaurant so as not to disappoint us. Outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PatsfanDined on 8/9/2014Disappointing. We were early in the evening, the restaurant was empty, and I had asked for a quiet table near the window. We got neither until I pushed, and even then not really what we wanted...the appetizer, a "chopped salad" arrived 5 minutes after we ordered, and contained no salad and was awful. Our entrees arrived 5 minutes after we finished our salads. I ordered seared tuna, which was tasteless. My date's steak was nothing special. All in all, not worth the money at all...
- A bit Loud but Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014Is a somewhat noisy place, but the service, food, and otherwise great setting make up for it. Would definitely recommend and return!Special Features:
- Fine diningS6FezDined on 8/4/2014Last night in Boston before return to UK so wanted a great steak and was not disappointed, was a Monday evening so not very busy but received excellent service from first to last minute. Went for the Crab Cake start and fillet mignon asked for medium and it was perfect cheeky hot fudge sundae (I did say it was the last night of holiday) everything was A+ and a great last night was badSpecial Features:
- IlikedrpDined on 8/4/2014Great meal! Fantastic waiter. We will return to grill 23!
- Dinner for family reunionBostonsteak2014Dined on 8/3/2014Excellent food. Appetizer oysters were good too. "The best of the best" rib steak was absolutely amazing, we ordered another plate to share. Aged to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food, excellent serviceThayer2Dined on 8/2/2014Went for dinner with a party of 8. They put our party in a private room upstairs. The staff was friendly and helpful and the food exceeded our high expectations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food too much noiseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014Had a great meal, with great service, but the room was so loud it was hard to have a conversationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mkbostonVIPDined on 8/1/2014Have eaten at Grill 23 many times. was disappointed this time. perhaps it was what i ordered. salmon/tuna tartare very bland . the one soft shell crab with two scallops entree overrated and way over priced. ill be back but will stick with more traditional items.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back bay standoutRossDined on 8/1/2014Very attentive staff from host to bus. Food pricey but perfectly prepared and presented. Go early for all the good things and less noise ( which was so loud at times we could not hear each other)Special Features:
- Grill23NICADined on 7/31/2014Better steak then any place in NY. Bread was excellent and the butter was creamy and delightful. Flat bread is extremely spicy. I love spicy this was really spicy. Caesar salad was descent. The steaks Kobe, filet mignonette, to NY Sirloin everyone said wax fantastic. French frys are excellent. They can improve the cream of spinach. All in al it was a terrific eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/26/2014Recommended by a friend and totally enjoyed it. Great service and food. Pricey but worth it - will definitely go back!
- New bar upgrade changed ambianceLoriPDined on 7/26/2014The new bar upgrade changed the ambiance of Grill 23. Bartender not friendly that evening. We requested to be waited on by Chris and they did not accommodate our request. Food was okay. We are usually so impressed with the food and service and this evening we will be rethinking our next diner to Grill 23. Disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing fooddisappointingDined on 7/25/2014Our shrimp cocktail appetizer did not taste fresh. My wife's very expensive Kobe steak was chewy and fatty. We tried to send it back, but the restaurant offered us only free deserts in exchange. For the side dishes, the mashed potatoes were delivered lukewarm and the peas were dry and stale tasting. This meal cost $200. We had better meals in town for $75.Special Features:
- Enjoyed the Grill AgainSouthboroughVIPDined on 7/25/2014Another enjoyable evening at the grill. We reserved the Alcove and it was perfect for our out of town guests. Our guests were shocked that some of their favorites wines were available. The meals were very good with one exception - the rosotto. It never comes out right here. Stick to the main choices. Sordfish was excellent. Usually our service is perfect but our server seemed to have an attitude and it was early in the evening. He was rather shocked and questioned one of our guests when they ordered a beer along with dessert - bad form. All this said we will be back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/25/2014WE MADE RESERVATION FOR 6:30 PM FOR 5 AND WE STILL HAD TO WAIT BECAUSE OUR TABLE WAS NOT SET UP FOR 5. THE FOOD WAS WELL PREPARED BUT THE NOISE LEVEL WAS VERY LOUD . WE HAD TROUBLE WITH THE WAITER TRYING TO TAKE OUR ORDERS. WE CAME HERE FOR A SPECIAL OCCASION WHICH WAS MY WIFE BIRTHDAY. I DONOT THINK WE WILL BE BACK THERE ON A FRIDAY NIGHT. IT IS JUST TOO LOUDSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business Meetingsteak4meDined on 7/23/2014My coworkers and I took a client to Grill 23 & Bar for a late-night dinner. The ambience was pleasant but we found the restaurant to be very loud which made it difficult to have a conversation. I guess it didn't matter though, because as soon as the steaks came all conversation stopped as we savored the food! I had the 18 oz. ribeye which was AMAZING and my coworkers had the filets. We were all very pleased with the meal and would recommend Grill 23 & Bar to anyone looking for an exceptional steak. Maybe not the best place to conduct a business meeting but it's definitely an excellent place to go after and enjoy some great food and drink!Special Features:
- Business DinnerUIABizDined on 7/22/2014Grill 23 always delivers. Food and service are excellent, staff is attentive without being disruptive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grill 23 & BarCindyDined on 7/22/2014Beautifully decorated restaurant. Spacious dining area with multiple levels. Impeccable wait service. I had the skirt steak which came as 2 thin 3" squares of beef that very flavorful, and moderately easy to cut. My husband had the pot roast which cut with a fork and was divine. I really enjoyed the skirt steak, but was sorry I hadn't chosen the pot roast after one taste. We shared the profiteroles for dessert which presented as 3 pastry covered vanilla ice cream servings and topped with hot fudge and whipped cream....yum. This dinner was one of our favorite meals in the 14 days of touring the New England area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.