allium restaurant + bar
42 Railroad Street
Great Barrington, MA 01230Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
allium restaurant + bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.alliumberkshires.com/
- Phone: 4135282118
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30 pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00 pm - 10:00pm | Late-night bar 'til 2 am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French / American, Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Dan Hardy
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: From one-of-a-kind weddings and museum galas to dinner parties and cocktail receptions, Allium, in partnership with Mezze Catering + Events, provides exceptional event planning and design, and flawless execution. Our company works with the finest, most reliable vendors in the industry. We provide personalized service crafting customized menus of seasonal foods prepared from scratch and are committed to the local food movement providing a wide range of fresh, seasonal foods from neighboring family farms in the Berkshires and surrounding region. For more info, visit www.mezzecatering.com
- Private Party Facilities: We specialize in farm-to-table modern American cuisine. We would be happy to individualize your event using local products.
- Private Party Contact: Troy Kinser 413 528 2118
- Special Events: Allium Restaurant + Bar hosts special events for organizations, companies and individuals. For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Cross Street: Main Street
- Public Transit: For public transportation within Berkshire county, contact Berkshire Regional Transportation Authority (BRTA) at (413) 499-2782 or (800) 292-2782. Great Barrington is also served by Peter Pan Bus (800-343-9999) and Bonanza Bus (800-343-9999) companies.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Parking is available on Railroad Street, at the end of Railroad Street in a municipal lot and in the parking lot behind the restaurant. During peak season and on weekends, parking may be challenging so be sure to allow enough time to find a space.
A word from allium restaurant + bar
Allium Restaurant + Bar serves casual contemporary American cuisine highlighting the best of the season in support of independent farmers and artisan producers using sustainable practices. Our chef sources local ingredients for a changing menu, paired alongside small-batch microbrews, local spirits and small-production wines. In addition to recognition as Boston Magazine’s Best New Restaurant, Allium has been granted an Editors’ Choice award in Yankee Magazine’s Travel Guide to New England. Allium serves dinner nightly beginning at 5 p.m. All major credit cards are accepted. Located in downtown Great Barrington, Allium is a member of Slow Food of Western MA and Berkshire Grown. The full-service restaurant is part of Mezze Restaurant Group which includes Mezze Bistro + Bar of Williamstown and Mezze Catering + Events, providing full-service event design and planning. For more info, visit www.mezzeinc.com.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
allium restaurant + bar - Best Restaurants in Great Barrington ›
allium restaurant + bar reviews from OpenTable diners
90 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (64)neighborhood gem (50)special occasion (23)romantic (19)vibrant bar scene (19)notable wine list (16)hot spot (15)good for groups (11)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (3)scenic view (2)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- HAPPY & SATISFIEDHAPPyDined on 10/12/2013Service was great . Food tasty and generous portions. Inviting space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love the pickled vegetables1pickyeaterVIPDined on 10/11/2013All the food was delicious. Something for everyone even non meat eaters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed In Great BarringtonDebsVIPDined on 10/11/2013Where to start? We chose Allium for an early pre-theater dinner based on other OpenTable reviews, and have determined that either the reviewers have low expectations, or the restaurant turned upside down in a few short days. It started to go south when the hostess seated us, their first dinner customers that night, near the kitchen in a large, empty room, rather than at any of the tables up front near the open windows, where we could enjoy the ambiance of beautiful weather and pedestrian activity. Then we were treated to slow, indifferent service and bland, tepid food. No wonder the burger joint across the street was full!
- Nice SpotDavidVIPDined on 10/6/2013We had a nice meal with the exception of a very rude couple seated behind us who argued the whole evening. We had shared plates for the evening and started with popcorn with Pecorino and truffle salt and two fantastic cocktails. We then had the beet salad and fried pickled red onions, followed by the steamed buns, pig face with kitchen made pastrami and tasso ham - quite nice. The service was good as was the wine list which had some interesting bottles with fairly reasonable prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing food.....idubbDined on 10/6/2013amazing food, best short rib I have had to date, however smaller portions if you go hungry. Will absolutely go back and order an app next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always wonderfulMroseDined on 10/5/2013We come for the well prepared, mostly locally sourced, delicious food. The nice servers and good wine and cocktails are added bonus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unevenbreezybillDined on 9/28/2013The small dishes (appetizers) were delicious. The main courses were bland.
- SweetOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/14/2013Very good meal that was worth the trip. All these items were very good: Marinated Olives, Kale Salad, Port Tacos, Sirloin SteakSpecial Features:
- Great Barrington Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/5/2013This is the sister restaurant to Mezze in Williams Mass.....food is terrific as at Mezze although the menu is not as upscale. Our experience was wonderful and we will return whenever we are in the area. The food, service and ambience were lovely....especially the food, fresh local and cooked to perfection....great place!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for carnivores and vegetarianCarolynSVIPDined on 9/4/2013They have a modern, inventive menu with a wide selection of dishes for all palates and diets. Their vegetarian dishes were delicious ) great salads, pastas, vegetable main courses) as was everything elseSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfort food and good winesComelonaDined on 9/3/2013This place was full on a Tuesday night. The fish tacos are a must and the chopped salad with beets, apples, blue cheese and almonds was delicious. We were surprised by the great number of vegetarian dishes. The vegetable ragout was very tasty. For dessert we had the berry cobbler which was amazing. I highly recommend it!Special Features:
- Not to be missedLuv2travelDined on 8/31/2013The food at allium is always delicious and fresh. Local produce is featured and it is always a treat to the taste buds!! We never miss this restaurant when we visit the Berkshires.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classy Great Barrington DinnerMroseDined on 8/28/2013Local and seasonal menu, gracious front of the house staff, yummy execution. I fell in love with Allium this summer and ate there 5 times in 6 weeks. Looking forward to their fall and winter menus.Special Features:
- Amazing Kale Salad!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/24/2013As always - Allium didn't fail to deliver amazing food! The Kale Salad is one of the reasons we return frequently to this neighborhood location. It is by far the most amazing Kale Salad that I have experienced. We also tried a number of the small plates last night - sharing between us, all of which were fabulous. My only complaint is that the food took quite some time to arrive. Otherwise, the service was great with exceptionally friendly staff.Special Features:
- Our waitress was serious andOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/24/2013Our waitress was serious and knowledgeable. There was - thankfully - no music playing in the dining room. The food was well presented and reflected careful matchings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/23/2013Brought out of town visitors to Allium and we all thoroughly enjoyed it! The menu was experimental and gave you the option of eating tapas style or traditional appetizer/main course. We loved the mussels, kale salad, fried onions, chicken and hangar steak. The ingredients were local, fresh and seasonal. Desserts were excellent too! We hadn't been to allium in a while and this visit reminded us we should go more often!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We always try something newjeanneDined on 8/20/2013We always try something new when we go -- and it never fails to please the palate. Great experience all around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A small but interesting mixOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/17/2013A small but interesting mix of dishes on the menu. Everything that we ordered was well prepared. It has a great old bar for food or just drinks and talk. Atmosphere is a funky mix of an old storefront with very contemporary decorations. Service was friendly and not rushed, even on a busy weekend night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative, but a little pretentious.joel67VIPDined on 8/15/2013Creative, but a little pretentious. Portions were a little on the "small side".
- Allium and MezzzeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/11/2013Allium and Mezzze are two great restaurants run by the same company. I have eaten at Mezze in Williamstown many times but this was my first meal at Allium. I needed to find a restaurant in Great Barrington Mass. and while searching online I found Allium and saw that it was part of the Mezze group. This made my decision easy and I was not disappointed. They have a limited menu of great food, locally sourced when possible.Special Features:
- A continuing gemOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/8/2013Allium continues to offer creative farm-to-table dining purveyed from local sources. Knowledgable staff, attentive service, simple and pleasant decor. I've dined here many times and willingly make the one hour drive to do so.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a find!OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/3/2013Dinner party of 4. We were told that the food was very good but service may be spotty. We found both excellent - wait staff appeared just when needed. Food allergies were particularly well addressed. Desserts were dangerously good. A memorable meal. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real find near TanglewoodFrankVIPDined on 8/3/2013Finding this gem of a restaurant near Tanglewood, Shakespeare & Company and all of the other great entertainment clustered around Lenox was a pleasure. It is well worth the little extra drive to Great Barrington for such good food and service and, I expect, it's usually easier to get in on popular nights during the season than the restaurants in downtown Lenox. Discovering all the other nice things in Great Barrington was also worth the trip. The menu offers plenty of variety and both the food and service were excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time here.....thefusspotDined on 8/3/2013I measure my eating experience by freshness, seasonality and wholesomeness and basically want something that tastes as though it has been cooked at home by a great chef who popped to the veg garden earlier to pick the ingredients. Not an easy standard to achieve. This restaurant, I can very happily say, offers just that experience. I could have eaten my starter salad again and again, so simple yet utterly delicious (what was that vinegar?) and my main of striped bass, quinoa and baba ghanoush a feast of the most delightful texture and flavours, cooked to perfection. My husband agrees - and he's almost as fussy as me. The decor leaves something to be desired as its' uninspired, but that's another art altogether, so I just savoured my food...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was uncharacteristicallyOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/3/2013Service was uncharacteristically slow. But that apologized by adjusting our bill.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall Good ExperienceILOVEBRUNCHDined on 8/2/2013The ambiance was good - modern/eclectic decor, but warm and inviting. It was a serene dining experience. The food was delicious and the waitstaff was good. Our food took longer than expected so we had to rush a bit at the end because we had theater tickets. Unfortunately, that meant we missed dessert, which sounded delicious, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth coming back!fabulousmealVIPDined on 7/31/2013If you are like us, you used to love this restaurant, then stayed away for years when they changed the chef. Well there is a NEW chef and she is fantastic! If you have not been back... GO! We summer in the Berkshires and have missed this restaurant, but now we will return again and again! Thank you Daire... And welcome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentAndyDined on 7/28/2013The availability of smaller plates, in addition to regular main courses, makes for greater choices. An appetizer and 2 plates, one a salad the other a meat dish, were quite filling (and delicious).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Allium redeemed itself fromJustMeVIPDined on 7/27/2013Allium redeemed itself from the less than wonderful experience of our last dinner there. Great food, prompt service and an overall enjoyable dinner. I had hoped that our last visit was an aberration and it appears that it was. This was an enjoyable experience for everyone in our party. One word of caution, however, to those who have never been there. The menu is big on appetizers and small plates, but limited on entrees. Two pasta dishes and four other main courses was it. However, even with the limited choices, our party of four were very pleased with our selections -- and the sampling of each others' dishes -- and I would not hesitate to recommend Allium to friends and foodies alike.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointment DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/27/2013This restaurant replaced Verdura, a fine Italian restaurant, as a destination in Great Barrington - a great town. Dinner began with a Stingy wine pour - not even half the medium sized glass. Then bread was brought around by a server - giving one slice (not roll!) at a pass. Then never came back again. Chopped salad was all leaf lettuce except for a few bits of celery and tomato. PEI mussels were not PEI mussels! Three out of twelve were closed completely! and they were mediocre. I am a well-travelled New Yorker with a house in NW Connecticut and am pretty flexible, but this place is not interested in diners or food. My companions were even more critical - we will not stop here again on our many trips to Tanglewood or to Williamstown.
- Food was good, had fish tacosdineout1Dined on 7/25/2013Food was good, had fish tacos and pork carnitas, both were tasty and spicy. Had chopped salad, which wasn't truly a chopped salad. Salad had one!!!! beet in it. When waitress was informed she later brought a ramekin of beets to the table, a thoughtful gesture. Soft drink glass was taken from table with no refill offered or brought to table. Charcuterie plate was good. We were next to a table of five VERY loud diners which really diminished our enjoyment.
- A Berkshires gemFoodiefamilyVIPDined on 7/23/2013We had a terrific meal at Allium. We shared a terrific kale salad, fish tacos (very tasty), and a pizza with crispy eggplant -- essentially an eggplant parm on a pizza. Both desserts (chocolate budino and berry cobbler) were rich and delicious. The service was on a slow side, but the restaurant space is simple and beautiful, and the meal was very enjoyable.Special Features:
- Stop the meal before the entreeDinerwarningDined on 7/21/2013Drinks were bad, martini glasses chunky, drinks warm, bar tender actually put an OLIVE in a Hendricks gin, no vermouth martini after we asked for cucumber -service was poor, only the waitress constantly ate in the first 40 mins-appetizer was overly salty and spicy, and poorly presented-at this point, we stopped the rest of the meal figuring a 42.00 dollar mistake was better than a 142.00 mistake.
- Service hurried Had vegetarianJudyDined on 7/20/2013Service hurried Had vegetarian ragout and beans were too tough to eat Limit menu, heavily weighted with porkSpecial Features:
- Great FoodDiningDivaVIPDined on 7/14/2013Allium is one of the best restaurants in an a rea with lots of great choices. The food is consistently excellent and the portion sizes are realistic so you can enjoy without feeling like you have an insurmountable task to just make a dent. I am always baffled, however, by how understaffed they appear to be. Usually, the servers are running constantly but just can't keep things moving at every table. Be sure to go here when you can enjoy a leisurely dinner and don't have any time constraints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went twice in two daysGorfdorfDined on 7/12/2013After going with my wife on a Friday night, we wanted to try more of the menu items, so we came back Satuday with two friends. The food is creative and delicious. The service was attentive and not rushed. The cost was in range.Special Features:
- Enjoyable and Excellent ExperienceSmileExpert1Dined on 7/12/2013A fabulous experience, enjoyed the food, and the ambiance. The space is beautifully appointed with considerable room between tables to give a private dining feel where I was seated near the window. The food was plentiful and the shared plates offered much variety. When we asked the server if we had ordered appropriately, she suggested that we remove one dish because it would be too much. We appreciated her honesty as we left satiated, content, and most pleased. I would absolutely recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I barely have the words...justokaug2014Dined on 7/12/2013....to express how outstanding our meal at Allium was. Found ourselves in the area for parents' visiting weekend and "took a chance" on Allium. SO GLAD WE DID. The food start to finish was OUTSTANDING. Some might label my husband and I food snobs....not true -- don't need "fancy" food, just GOOD food. Allium so far exceeded not only our expectations but exceeded so many of our prior eating experiences. Creative but not fussy. Vibrant, fresh...sensational. Do not miss the salted caramel ice cream for dessert!!!!!Special Features:
- Current menuOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/6/2013We had a very nice experience at Allium. The dinner was delicious. I had the kale salad which was very tasty and the mussels. I frequently order mussels and this was a particularly good preparation. It was a light "cream"sauce with herbs. The table service was friendly and efficient. We arrived one half hour early and the restaurant was fairly empty. We were told we would have to wait because of the reservations. We questioned this as it didn't seem logical. Given that the tables were empty they couldn't seat anyone coming in at our table. After two trips back to her supervisor the hostess agreed to seat us. She appeared inexperienced. Once we were seated we had a lovely evening. We would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing delaySiriusfoodieDined on 6/22/2013When we arrived with our 2 sons we were excited to have a special dinner out. The server seemed put off that the boys could not decide what they wanted to eat. She left to serve others and after some time came back to take our order. She came back very late into the meal came to check on us. Very disappointing experience. WIth such a delay we did not even want to stay for a dessert treat.Special Features: