1009 South 8th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19147Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.biboubyob.com/
- Phone: 2159658290
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Wednesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: Cash Only
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Pierre Calmels
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: No
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Chef's Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant
- Private Party Facilities: Bibou can seat up to 32 guests for private parties. Please call the restaurant for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Charlotte Calmels 2159658290
- Entertainment: French music!
- Special Events: Please, contact Bibou directly for requests
A word from Bibou
Bibou is a small French Byob located in Bella Vista. Exclusively using fresh products, Chef Pierre Calmels offers dishes such as "Pieds de Porc" (pigs' feet), escargots, as well as many other traditional French dishes.Continued
Bibou is cash only.
Bibou is cash only.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Bibou reviews from OpenTable diners
101 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (88)special occasion (73)neighborhood gem (66)romantic (44)hot spot (11)notable wine list (3)good for groups (2)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)scenic view (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Outstanding interesting French foodScottDined on 3/19/2014Highly recommended for those with a true interest in food. Subtle flavors, French table service, wonderful butter and bread. The beef bone marrow is unique, foie gras dreamy, beef liver like you don't remember from your childhood. The chef made the rounds at the end of the evening and he is charming.Special Features:
- Must TryCeeCeeVIPDined on 3/19/2014Food was exquisitely prepared and beautifully presented. Highly recommend for fine French fare. Chef going to each table was a nice, warm touch. Pricey for a BYOB but worth it. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impressed !OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/13/2014They obviously love their customers... Chef came to introduce himself and see how we enjoyed our meal personally.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LIttle gem with wonderful foodPhillyAmyDined on 3/12/2014Although the menu is rather small, the food is excellent - beautifully presented, innovative flavors. BYOB is a nice feature, since it can be expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food and Friendly ServiceGoatDined on 3/9/2014We read on line that the food was very good and the service was not so friendly. The food was truly excellent, and all of the staff was very friendly and knowledgeable. The chef came out to each table and we talked for a minute - a great touch. You could tell that with the food, they paid attention to every ingredient and detail. The flavors blended perfectly. I have traveled to France over 30 times and eaten at some very good restaurants. I would take Bibou's over any of the dining experiences there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High qualityIllbebackDined on 3/9/2014I took my girlfriend here for her birthday, and chose a night with a tasting menu (Sunday). I chose to go on that night because I felt that the choices would be narrowed down to the best ones available (I might be wrong about that). Our waiter was very knowledgeable about everything on the menu, he had a virtual story for every item and painted a great picture for what was to come. He answered all of our questions about the food and everything else with a genuine smile, top notch service. The food was something like a picture out of a magazine, and tasted as good if not better than it looked. After and amazing 4 course meal, the chef came out into the dining room and introduced himself to us, and everyone else in the room. BYOB 10/10Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I loved the style of the restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/8/2014I loved the style of the restaurant -- it is small, friendly and feels like a French country inn. The food was good but we were expecting amazing food and were disappointed, especially in the two fish entrees we tried. The dessert, a frozen walnut souffle, however, was great!Special Features:
- PerfectionBrunhildeVIPDined on 3/6/2014The very gifted and very hard working Chef Ron is amazing as must be his supporting kitchen staff. We don't know how he continually turns out perfectly cooked, delicious food. His mix of subtle textures and use of seasonings (both traditional and more exotic) reveal , rather than conceal, the quality and wonderful tastes of the primary ingredients.This is true regardless of whether the primary ingredient is a meat, game or seafood.. His accompaniments are prepared with care and with an obvious understanding of the relationship of each item in the plate to every other item in the plate. (Frequently overlooked elsewhere.) Each plate is a treat to the eye as well as to the palate.Just beautiful. Chief Pierre's kitchen is in good hands.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing foie-gras and dessertYiannisDined on 3/2/2014We went for dinner on a Sunday night. Knowing the place from several friends,he had mixed feelings about going there. The bread was good and it came with top quality butter. The fixed menu was kind of limited especially for someone who is rather difficult (snail, foie gras or shrimp). The artichoke soup was above average, the foie gras was simply perfect (excluding the excessive sweetness of the bread bed) and the main courses were pretty good but nothing exciting. The cheese platter was brief but well-selected, and the dessert was another big surprise. The limoncello sorbet was OK, while the almond souffle was heaven in our mouth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Honestly, I was disappointed.OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 3/2/2014Honestly, I was disappointed. It was Sunday night, so they had a limited menu, but the fish dish (grouper) was only mediocre, and the duck was actually dry and tasteless. Appetizers were very good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- highly recommendedfoie2GrasDined on 2/19/2014All dishes were outstanding...of course we completely enjoyed the foie gras matched with mango as our appetizer. The duck and beef entrees were amazing. We will be back! Plus the chef comes out to every table after the meal...that is a homerun in my book and we love the BYO Wine policySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy!EatTooMuchDined on 2/9/2014Dined here with a friend on a Sunday after getting a reservation at a decent eating hour. Great little spot, but very limited seating. This isn't a negative by any means- really give the restaurant a great little bistro feel. The food was excellent and we opted for the Prix Fixe menu to be able to sample a wide range of plates. We were more than happy with the selections, timing of the courses and the staff's selections. My only negative is we were a bit too full to fully enjoy dessert! The chef came out to say hello and inquire about our experience and the team works well together to make sure your needs are met. A great little place and will absolutely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently excellentJaviDined on 2/2/2014Great service and food. Loved the foie gras and the foie gras mousse. The boar pie was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic ExperienceEvanstadVIPDined on 2/2/2014Wonderful Philly BYOB restaurant with well-prepared French food and excellent service. Great flavors and presentation. The Sunday 3-course Prix Fixe was a total bargain. Our server was very warm and helped us greatly in choosing our courses. The other staff members also were great and attentive. We had a nice chat with the chef de cuisine Ronald Fougeray about the restaurant, the staff and his cooking. A lovely birthday experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BETTER THAN EVERBrunhildeVIPDined on 1/30/2014Perfect food with perfect service. What more can one say?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- quality foodDonEscobarDined on 1/30/2014It doesn't take a foodie to appreciate the care and detail that were put into every dish we ate. The great reviews you'll read are absolutely warranted and well deserved. We are lucky to have Bibou in Philadelphia! You must give it a try, if you haven't yet. You will not be disappointed. With that out of the way, here's what needs significant improvement. The senior waiter coordinating the rest of the wait staff was off-putting. He acted like he was obliged to bring in that air of snobbery that we unfortunately stereotype the French with. This was so out of place for a rather cozy and intimate restaurant where the Chef came out to say hello to each table. Sadly the rest of the otherwise friendly staff seemed to take his cue. What a shame!Special Features:
- Intimate and imaginativelocallocavoresDined on 1/29/2014Bibou is small and intimate. Its imaginative menu and delectable food, a highlight of which was a whole boned bronzino stuffed with delicately flavored mousse, delighted both our palates and eyes. Staff made diners feel like family, and during a lull the chef visited tables to chat. We'll return as soon as we can get a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/24/2014This is always a wonderful experience with top notch food and excellent service. Thank-you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!pickydinerVIPDined on 1/22/2014Visiting one night in Philly and had read reviews on this restaurant. They met and exceeded our expectations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine but not as good as last timeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/18/2014I booked a late night dinner at Bibou well in advance--disappointed with most of the food because we'd highly anticipated our meal so much after our first amazing experience there. Meal was "fine" but not special or memorable as the first time. Seared foie gras appetizer was excellent (highlight of the meal) but snapper (in parchment) was lackluster with an odd milky orange-colored sauce on the side. Duck in philo tasted a lot like Thanksgiving turkey dinner. Even the chocolate dessert didn't stand out-- good but not impressive or memorable. Food tasted good enough but was nothing to rave about. Seems like the balance of flavor and interesting, successful pairings that made Bibou so amazing our first time just weren't there this time.
- Among the bestMarcHVIPDined on 1/18/2014One of the most outstanding resturants in a very hot foodie scene in Philly. Everything was outstanding from the food to the service. Loved that the chef came out and chatted with us. Expense kept down because it was a BYOB Very difficult getting a reservation but worth the wait to get one Will returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bibou BYOB...fabulousmolehill1Dined on 1/4/2014Never had a disappointing meal here. On this visit we had the famed escargots as well as several of the specials: truffle risotto, bone marrow, and the wild boar. Every dish was beautifully prepared and absolutely delicious! Can't recommend this gem of a restaurant highly enough. It is a must dine!Special Features:
- Not that specialOverratedDined on 12/20/2013OK food but definitely not worth all the hype. Overly cloying sauces that overwhelm a lot of stuff (including the escargots and the venison). Certainly not as good as a couple of other French places in town (Cochon or La Minette).
- excellent!!lauren11VIPDined on 12/20/2013I've heard rave reviews about this restaurant for years, but I was apprehensive because it was French and nothing on the menu jumped out at me. O M G. If you like good food, just make a reservation & go...incredible!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic night out for two foodiesWinterWarmerDined on 12/14/2013We could not have enjoyed the evening more; snow was falling, service was flawless, the food preparation was inventive and truly delicious. We will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect EveningBubbaDined on 12/6/2013I love Bibou. I have been there several times now and it is always a new culinary experience. The menu changes with new interesting dishes, the wait staff is awesome and i again left feeling very satisfied. What a gem. Make sure you have a reservation as we saw people politely turned away at the door without them. Easily one of my favorites.Special Features:
- very cozy romantic Frenchmsm3Dined on 12/5/2013very cozy romantic French type bistro/restaurant, the perks are byob and the free 2 hr municipal park lot next door It was our first time and we will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One must be the best.BestVIPDined on 11/21/2013We have been to Bibou a number of times and have loved it from the first. The food is at the center of the experience but the friendliness and attentiveness of everyone from the chef to the wait staff adds to the experience. Thanks to all of you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but the seating...MacThespianDined on 11/15/2013We really enjoyed our dinner at Bibou, save for one thing: the chairs were not comfortable at all. They're made for skinny diners, and neither I nor my companions really fit that description. Still, the food was so good that I'd endure the chairs again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3rd Time Still a CharmGrady223Dined on 11/14/2013Each time gets better. This place is a gem with free parking next door. Our favorite restaurant in Philadelphia! I hope their expansion to Rittenhouse does not affect the 8th St location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ClassicVickiMauDined on 11/6/2013This is a very small intimate restaurant. Our first time here and if we ever get back to Philadelphia we will go back..Very good food, excellent service and personal attention. I really liked the intimate atmosphere. Be sure and make reservation far in advance.Special Features:
- Exceptional, exceeded expectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/2/2013Absolutely brilliant - food, service, experience. An intimate space with 10 or so tables. Can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BibouFoodieDined on 11/2/2013We had a superlative meal at Bibou. The room is small, but cozy. Noise level was low to moderate. Everything we ate was perfectly done, perfectly seasoned, perfectly presented. The service was impeccable, friendly, and very knowledgeable about the food. We have just completed a trip across the U.S., spending a total of 18 days in San Francisco, Chicago, and Philadelphia and this was hands down, our best meal and dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bibou BYOB, the Best of the BestJamesVIPDined on 10/23/2013I took my girlfriend here for her birthday on a Wednesday night and we both LOVED this place. French Chef Pierre Calmels greeted each table and made the whole experience very memorable. A+Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hope the new place does notlargreenVIPDined on 10/23/2013Hope the new place does not create problems for my favorite dining spotSpecial Features:
- Fabulous!BAphilaDined on 10/18/2013Fantastic food and excellent service! Will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PleasantDeliciousDined on 10/16/2013The staff in the restaurant, including the chef, were very friendly and it was delicious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't Go WrongDebDVIPDined on 10/11/2013Like French cuisine? Like the opportunity to try outstanding yet unique dishes? Go here! Quality comes to mind when I think of Bibou in an unpretentious setting. The food is delicious. Service excellent. Space is quaint. You should go... I will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply wonderful!CindyGVIPDined on 10/10/2013We went for our wedding anniversary and will return for other special occasions. The food is so beautiful; the service is warm, knowledgeable and thoughtful. I felt as if I'd been in Paris. Thank you!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One Night In PhiladelphiaKeatsDined on 10/9/2013We had only one night in Philadelphia and after reading reviews for many restaurants we chose Bibou. It was an excellent choice. Everything was perfect! I highly recommend this excellent restaurant to anyone that truly loves excellent in an intimate setting.Special Features: