1009 South 8th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19147Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.biboubyob.com/
- Phone: 2159658290
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Wednesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: Cash Only
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Pierre Calmels
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: No
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Chef's Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant
- Private Party Facilities: Bibou can seat up to 32 guests for private parties. Please call the restaurant for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Charlotte Calmels 2159658290
- Entertainment: French music!
- Special Events: Please, contact Bibou directly for requests
A word from Bibou
Bibou is a small French Byob located in Bella Vista. Exclusively using fresh products, Chef Pierre Calmels offers dishes such as "Pieds de Porc" (pigs' feet), escargots, as well as many other traditional French dishes.Continued
Bibou is cash only.
Bibou is cash only.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Bibou reviews from OpenTable diners
91 reviews since May 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (82)special occasion (65)neighborhood gem (56)romantic (44)hot spot (10)scenic view (3)good for groups (2)great for outdoor dining (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- quality foodDonEscobarDined on 1/30/2014It doesn't take a foodie to appreciate the care and detail that were put into every dish we ate. The great reviews you'll read are absolutely warranted and well deserved. We are lucky to have Bibou in Philadelphia! You must give it a try, if you haven't yet. You will not be disappointed. With that out of the way, here's what needs significant improvement. The senior waiter coordinating the rest of the wait staff was off-putting. He acted like he was obliged to bring in that air of snobbery that we unfortunately stereotype the French with. This was so out of place for a rather cozy and intimate restaurant where the Chef came out to say hello to each table. Sadly the rest of the otherwise friendly staff seemed to take his cue. What a shame!Special Features:
- Intimate and imaginativelocallocavoresDined on 1/29/2014Bibou is small and intimate. Its imaginative menu and delectable food, a highlight of which was a whole boned bronzino stuffed with delicately flavored mousse, delighted both our palates and eyes. Staff made diners feel like family, and during a lull the chef visited tables to chat. We'll return as soon as we can get a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/24/2014This is always a wonderful experience with top notch food and excellent service. Thank-you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!pickydinerVIPDined on 1/22/2014Visiting one night in Philly and had read reviews on this restaurant. They met and exceeded our expectations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine but not as good as last timeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/18/2014I booked a late night dinner at Bibou well in advance--disappointed with most of the food because we'd highly anticipated our meal so much after our first amazing experience there. Meal was "fine" but not special or memorable as the first time. Seared foie gras appetizer was excellent (highlight of the meal) but snapper (in parchment) was lackluster with an odd milky orange-colored sauce on the side. Duck in philo tasted a lot like Thanksgiving turkey dinner. Even the chocolate dessert didn't stand out-- good but not impressive or memorable. Food tasted good enough but was nothing to rave about. Seems like the balance of flavor and interesting, successful pairings that made Bibou so amazing our first time just weren't there this time.
- Among the bestMarcHVIPDined on 1/18/2014One of the most outstanding resturants in a very hot foodie scene in Philly. Everything was outstanding from the food to the service. Loved that the chef came out and chatted with us. Expense kept down because it was a BYOB Very difficult getting a reservation but worth the wait to get one Will returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bibou BYOB...fabulousmolehill1Dined on 1/4/2014Never had a disappointing meal here. On this visit we had the famed escargots as well as several of the specials: truffle risotto, bone marrow, and the wild boar. Every dish was beautifully prepared and absolutely delicious! Can't recommend this gem of a restaurant highly enough. It is a must dine!Special Features:
- Not that specialOverratedDined on 12/20/2013OK food but definitely not worth all the hype. Overly cloying sauces that overwhelm a lot of stuff (including the escargots and the venison). Certainly not as good as a couple of other French places in town (Cochon or La Minette).
- excellent!!lauren11VIPDined on 12/20/2013I've heard rave reviews about this restaurant for years, but I was apprehensive because it was French and nothing on the menu jumped out at me. O M G. If you like good food, just make a reservation & go...incredible!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic night out for two foodiesWinterWarmerDined on 12/14/2013We could not have enjoyed the evening more; snow was falling, service was flawless, the food preparation was inventive and truly delicious. We will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect EveningBubbaDined on 12/6/2013I love Bibou. I have been there several times now and it is always a new culinary experience. The menu changes with new interesting dishes, the wait staff is awesome and i again left feeling very satisfied. What a gem. Make sure you have a reservation as we saw people politely turned away at the door without them. Easily one of my favorites.Special Features:
- very cozy romantic Frenchmsm3Dined on 12/5/2013very cozy romantic French type bistro/restaurant, the perks are byob and the free 2 hr municipal park lot next door It was our first time and we will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One must be the best.BestVIPDined on 11/21/2013We have been to Bibou a number of times and have loved it from the first. The food is at the center of the experience but the friendliness and attentiveness of everyone from the chef to the wait staff adds to the experience. Thanks to all of you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but the seating...MacThespianDined on 11/15/2013We really enjoyed our dinner at Bibou, save for one thing: the chairs were not comfortable at all. They're made for skinny diners, and neither I nor my companions really fit that description. Still, the food was so good that I'd endure the chairs again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3rd Time Still a CharmGrady223Dined on 11/14/2013Each time gets better. This place is a gem with free parking next door. Our favorite restaurant in Philadelphia! I hope their expansion to Rittenhouse does not affect the 8th St location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ClassicVickiMauDined on 11/6/2013This is a very small intimate restaurant. Our first time here and if we ever get back to Philadelphia we will go back..Very good food, excellent service and personal attention. I really liked the intimate atmosphere. Be sure and make reservation far in advance.Special Features:
- Exceptional, exceeded expectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/2/2013Absolutely brilliant - food, service, experience. An intimate space with 10 or so tables. Can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BibouFoodieDined on 11/2/2013We had a superlative meal at Bibou. The room is small, but cozy. Noise level was low to moderate. Everything we ate was perfectly done, perfectly seasoned, perfectly presented. The service was impeccable, friendly, and very knowledgeable about the food. We have just completed a trip across the U.S., spending a total of 18 days in San Francisco, Chicago, and Philadelphia and this was hands down, our best meal and dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bibou BYOB, the Best of the BestJamesVIPDined on 10/23/2013I took my girlfriend here for her birthday on a Wednesday night and we both LOVED this place. French Chef Pierre Calmels greeted each table and made the whole experience very memorable. A+Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hope the new place does notlargreenVIPDined on 10/23/2013Hope the new place does not create problems for my favorite dining spotSpecial Features:
- Fabulous!BAphilaDined on 10/18/2013Fantastic food and excellent service! Will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PleasantDeliciousDined on 10/16/2013The staff in the restaurant, including the chef, were very friendly and it was delicious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't Go WrongDebDVIPDined on 10/11/2013Like French cuisine? Like the opportunity to try outstanding yet unique dishes? Go here! Quality comes to mind when I think of Bibou in an unpretentious setting. The food is delicious. Service excellent. Space is quaint. You should go... I will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply wonderful!CindyGVIPDined on 10/10/2013We went for our wedding anniversary and will return for other special occasions. The food is so beautiful; the service is warm, knowledgeable and thoughtful. I felt as if I'd been in Paris. Thank you!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One Night In PhiladelphiaKeatsDined on 10/9/2013We had only one night in Philadelphia and after reading reviews for many restaurants we chose Bibou. It was an excellent choice. Everything was perfect! I highly recommend this excellent restaurant to anyone that truly loves excellent in an intimate setting.Special Features:
- Awesome !2hourdriverDined on 10/9/2013My sister and I are always looking for cozy very Parisian gourmet restaurant. We have now found one. Bibou. We drove 2 hrs. to get there ( we live in Auburn, PA ) and it was well worth it !! Service is excellent and the food is outstanding. and of course, the Chef, he's sweet and tres, tres, charmant !! What a wonderful experience ! and as the Chef said when we said good bye, A BIENTOT.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!SmallBigEaterDined on 10/9/2013Service was excellent. The restaurant is small and intimate--excellent for couples or a small gathering of good friends. Food was delicious: think French comfort food. And the chef came out and greeted each of his guests--a touch I thought especially thoughtful and nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and service.sivgarDined on 10/3/2013Always a treat to eat at Bibou. Excellent food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- revisitSheilaDined on 10/2/2013I came to Bibou when they first opened and have been there 3 times since. Its' a pain in the A--- to get a reservation.. There are several very good restaurants in Philly now and nowhere do you have as much a problem. The food is still good but the very "tired" appetizer menu hasnt changed in these years and the Chef Kamels comes out, charming as usual and says they change the menu every week. I don't think the restaurant deserves the fanfare it gets but they seem to have their loyal customers.Special Features:
- Great meal!TriciaDined on 9/25/2013This was my second time to Bibou and it was as good as I remembered. My husband and I came for our anniversary. Bibou is the perfect place to celebrate a special event. The service was outstanding and the food excellent. Bibou is better than many of the wonderful French bistros I visited when at Paris in May. The best part is the personal attention the owners have in the place. The owner took the time to answer my email about wine pairings. The chef greeted my husband and I and remembered the email. The place is truly a gem and I can't wait for their second restaurant to open!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bibou continues to astoundJWJ1Dined on 9/21/2013Bibou continues to astound night after night. The food, the service, the charm... Best of luck to Pierre and Charlotte in their new endeavor. Perhaps getting in to the original might be just a bit easier!Special Features:
- Great food but don't be too hungryPhilaFoodieDined on 9/19/2013Excellent but would almost need two of each dish to be fully satiated - and this would be a real treat, because the cooking is really worth it! Nice, personal touch: the chef walks around and chats with his dining guests. Can't wait to check out your new restaurant on Rittenhouse in November - hopefully it will have a wine list that can match the food, and not be a cash-only place, which makes things more difficult to expense for business meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lives up to expectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/19/2013I've been trying to get a "reasonable" reservation (something other than 5 or 9:30 and later) for months. I finally snagged one and loved the entire experience. Tiny place (hence the difficulty on reservations). Excellent wait staff. Food was exquisite. Hubby had chilled heirloom tomato soup, sweetbread pate and red drum. All superb. I had chanterelle fricassee which was good. I played it safe with a filet mignon. Excellent. We both ordered desserts that were good but the "complimentary" macaroons and meringue cookies were my favorite. Bread - to die for. Chef came and greeted us warmly for the finishing "outstanding" touch. Next time, bone marrow. It looked fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bibou can't be beat.Chef1VIPDined on 9/18/2013How many reviews does it take to confirm that this is one of the best restaurants in Philadelphia. The food is excellent in preparation, presentation, french style and quality. We shared 4 entrees; all were excellent. Appetizers were near perfection. Service was very alert, polite, and although not in tuxedos were perfectly consistent with ambiance. A BYOB and reasonably priced. I've tried numerous times to get a reservation via OpenTable, but always unable between 7 and 9, even months in advance. On chance I tried for a Wed. 8:00 P on the same day and got a reservation, but was certain it was a computer error, or I used the wrong year, or month. It can happen and we enjoyed the surprise as though we'd won a lottery.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went for a special occasionOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 9/18/2013Went for a special occasion and it was a really special meal!!Special Features:
- Doesn't get better than thisgenemgVIPDined on 9/15/2013Great food, BYOB, $45 for 4 courses on Sunday, perfect and friendly service. Cannot recommend it more highly. This was one of the best meals I've had in a long time, and certainly the best bargain within 100 miles.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in PhiladelphiaFoodie4youDined on 8/17/2013The overall dining experience is singular, the service is mature knowledgeable warm and friendly, food prep and presentation best in Philadelphia, seating is a little to tight but you can friendly conversation with nearby dining partners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I would still like to seeM4REELDined on 8/17/2013I would still like to see a change or addition to all courses. We love this place -- the ambience, the service, the quality [particularly for BYO], the acoustics and unpretentiousness -- but we find we have trouble selecting from an odd offering that limits our choices.Special Features:
- Sketchy Neighborhood, No ParkingFoodFirstAndForemostVIPDined on 8/15/2013This restaurant is either in the ghetto, or dangerously close. It took us 45 minutes to find a parking spot. The food is very good, but the experience would be so much better in a better location. We were concerned for our safety, and the safety of our vehicle. It is in a very rough, rundown, low-rent area. Not quite a housing project, but close enough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sophisticated BYOB wine service. ChlargreenVIPDined on 8/14/2013Sophisticated BYOB wine service. Chef driven fine French diningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.