Spin a Yarn
45915 Warm Springs Blvd
Fremont, CA 94539Neighborhood:
ContinentalPrice: $30 and under
Spin a Yarn
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://sakisspinayarn.com/
- Phone: 5106569141
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Sundays are reserved for private parties.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Continental, Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, BYO Liquor, Cigar Room, Dancing, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact the restaurant for more details.
- Private Party Facilities: Small or large, Spin a Yarn can host an event worthy of the occasion. Our private dining room has a capacity of 20 and the banquet room has a capacity of up to 160. It includes a private bar, dance floor, sound system, and 120 inch projection HDTV
- Private Party Contact: Saki Kavouniaris 5106569141
A word from Spin a Yarn
Spin a Yarn specializes in Greek, Italian, and continental cuisine. We strive to bring you the best possible food and service. We are committed to quality, value, and your complete satisfaction.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Spin a Yarn reviews from OpenTable diners
12 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (5)great for lunch (4)special occasion (4)good for groups (3)great for brunch (2)great for outdoor dining (1)romantic (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- We missed the noontime rushIntegrity36Dined on 3/29/2013We missed the noontime rush and the place was almost empty. Service was excellent and my seafood linguini was very good. One lunch fish dish was slightly overcooked otherwise the food was great.
- Best steakhouse in the SouthbayOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/27/2013My oh my, the portions are great, the food is good, and the ambiance is amazing. I had the prime rib, baked potato, and creamed spinach. It was absolutely amazing, could not have asked for anything better.Special Features:
- As usual the food was excellent.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/23/2013As usual the food was excellent. Salmon cooked to perfection and scalloped potatoes delicious. Green beans cooked tender crisp and nicely seasoned. Cheesecake was to die for. Only negative was that the waiter was rather sullen and the music from the bar was so loud that it made it difficult to hear conversations with friends dining with us.Special Features:
- I enjoyed the meal that IOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/23/2013I enjoyed the meal that I had.The restaurant was very clean,simple, nice ambiance.Special Features:
- Try Spin a Yarn again!winowomanVIPDined on 3/14/2013Had not been to Spin a Yarn in several years, and we were pleasantly surprised. Gordon Ramsey had done a Kitchen Nightmares show on the restaurant about a year ago, as business was lacking. It was excellent! The menu doesn't give a clear picture of all the food that you get. Included with your meal, you get soup or salad, your entree, and vegetables and a starch. I had the halibut and husband had the salmon. Both were huge, and perfectly prepared. Our server was Keith, and he was professional and very fun and personable. Next time we will try a meat dish, and we will be back. Prices are also very reasonable.Special Features:
- a typical steak house... nothingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/8/2013a typical steak house... nothing fancy. coming again... perhaps.
- We came here for my mom'sOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/6/2013We came here for my mom's birthday since we had bought the $100 gift certificate for $50 at Costco, and I had even watched the Kitchen Nightmares episode at work before going to prepare myself for what could possibly come. The place really did not disappoint. First of all, we had an awesome waiter - Keith - funny, sarcastic, but very attentive to every table of his. He cracked jokes about our food and the portions all evening, and they just made the already festive mood of our dinner even more jolly. He just wouldn't give us his name throughout the entire meal, so we had to ask the hostess. My mom didn't stop saying how funny and adorable he was the entire time. The atmosphere was also very classy, and there was a live jazz band playiSpecial Features:
- OK place for neighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/1/2013OK place for neighborhood steakhouse. Food was ok. The side dishes reminded me of college food. Definitely needs improvment. On positive note, steak and house salad were good.
- Kitchen Nightmares ImprovedOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 2/27/2013Five months ago I ate here. I wasn't too impressed at all with this place. After watching the episode of this restaurant again I decided to give this place another try. From the start I knew what I wanted - carpaccio and lamb chops. The carpaccio was delicious. The texture doesn't taste like raw beef. This appetizer adds elegance to this steakhouse. Having the carpaccio makes this place stand out from the rest of all other family-run restaurants in Fremont. The lamb chops are the best I ever had. They had a finesse presentation of the clean bones yet were displayed like pork ribs. In addition these lamb chops are huge. After this dish I was full. I can say I was very happy with my second visit at Spin a Yarn.Special Features:
- Eh.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/24/2013Overall the restaurant looked nice. We went on a Sunday night for a 6:30pm reservation. The restaurant had a lot of seating left in the bar area as well as 2 of the separate rooms. I was disappointed that they ran out of prime rib before our 6:30 reservation. That was too early in the night I feel to run out of something. The people who ordered fish meals smelled rather fishy. My husband ordered a rib eye steak for $36 and I ordered the $13 burger. The burger was tasty defiantly different than any other burger I've tasted. Overall it was really good. My husband's steak was ordered as Medium but came more Medium rare than medium. Overall if was tender and flavorful. Rather or not we would go back again is still up for debate.Special Features:
- The food and service was great!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/23/2013The food and service was great! Wife and I enjoyed the live sax player as well. Definitely will go again.Special Features:
- Why is this restaurant still open!BarryVIPDined on 2/17/2013Why is this restaurant still open? Went to dinner on Sunday at 6:30 pm, my first mistake. Two selections for dinner were not available because they were out of them. I ordered a whole crab, came cold, had no flavor, butter was cold and had no flavor, good cocktail sauce. For desert I ordered the coconut cream pie (have enjoyed in the past), it was awful, it had been sitting in rerig. for at least two days. I was flat and oily. The waiter hardly spoke to us and did not seem to care about what he served. After years of coming to Spin a Yarn, they have seen the last of me.
- Just okay food, service andOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/17/2013Just okay food, service and the decor is dated. We won't be going back anytime soon. I would not recommend to friends or family.
- Had to ask 3 or 4 times forOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2013Had to ask 3 or 4 times for our complimentary bread. Not a good way to start a supposedly romantic evening with my wife. It was downhill from there. Never going back again.Special Features:
- I decided on Spin a Yarn becauseOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/14/2013I decided on Spin a Yarn because I heard it was on a restaurant maker over show. I found to place to be just okay. I really enjoyed the prior configuration and ambiance. The pricing was adequate but I expected more because It was valentine's day. The place was okay, its not a destination for me anymore.Special Features:
- Ambiance was great ! FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013Ambiance was great ! Food was very disappointing and service was poor Fremont is my hometown and it had been a while since have dined their.problably not going to return .
- Not a good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2013I was expecting more elegant and special meal on Valentine menu, but the food wasn't as good as I thought. I can make those food at home better at home home myself. The desert presentation was worse than my kids. It was just adding 3 pieces of fruit ( one blueberry, one blackberry and one raspberry). It was the cheapest desert I ever seen in a steakhouse restaurant. I don't know if I would want to go again even though I bought gift card.Special Features:
- Not as I expected after havingOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/10/2013Not as I expected after having the Ramsay fix. Steak and pork chop were average but the pasta dish was terrible. I will not go back to this restaurant again.
- Not ideal for big parties.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/8/2013We had a reservation for 7:30 and had to wait an hour for a table... So if you plan on a party of 6 or more, this may not be an ideal place... The food was decent BUT.... Our waitress got our meat orders wrong. Medium well cooked meats were all medium rare and when asked to cook a little more, more just flipped the meat over and served it to us again. WOW!! And we wanted a specific wine bottle that was on their wine list and they didn't have it along with another bottle we asked for so we just settled and said bring us what u do have!Special Features:
- Dinner was great except theOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 2/7/2013Dinner was great except the pasta dish we orders had way too much bitter basil in it- it over powered the dish. Our waiter was the BEST!Special Features:
- This is a steak house, likecavallaroDined on 2/1/2013This is a steak house, like it says. Not a huge variety in the menu, but what they do, they seem to do well. The prime rib my husband had was a really great piece of meat, they carve it table-side. My seafood linguine was nice. All the food was good. The steaks are definitely better than somewhere like Outback or Texas Roadhouse....way better and slightly more expensive, but you will notice the difference. Drinks: Can't recommend their margarita....their mixed drinks menu is a little sparse. The wine list is fine, and "usual" restaurant pricing. Sweets: Only a few desserts, but good ones. The coconut creme pie and chocolate mousse are really good. We would eat here again, if we can get another good deal (50% off from Costco).Special Features:
- January Birthday Celebration!BlackAngusBirthdayDined on 1/19/2013It was my Wife's Birthday at Spin A Yarn! We made reservations for 3 prior to our visit and were almost seated right away. We wanted the carve at the table Prime Rib for the Birthday Lady, Saki, the owner, wasn't there that day and was disappointed that there will be no table-side carving. She ordered the Prime Rib anyways, I ordered the Rib-eye Steak and the third person in our party ordered the seafood linguine. The Prime Rib was spot on medium rare, the Rib-eye was perfect medium rare and the seafood linguine was quite delectable, although the waiter brought 'white' instead of red sauce. At the end of the Dinner, the waiter brought a slice of cheesecake with a candle and sang Happy Birthday to my Wife. We had a great time!Special Features:
- We have eaten here for a handfulOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/19/2013We have eaten here for a handful of special occasions and enjoyed it each and every time. The service is always excellent without being overbearing. The waiter was very pleasant and helpful. The servers kept the water glasses full and the table cleared in a quiet effective manner. The small front rooms have a warm relaxing feel. They specialize in steaks which are top notch. But also have some other great choices like the lamb chops, various pastas and seafood. The cheesecake was different than expected but very tasty and unique. Overall, this is a great place for a romantic dinner or special celebration of any kind.Special Features:
- Had a good french champagne,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/8/2013Had a good french champagne, Piper Heisdeck, in a split for a reasonable price. Also had it by the bottle at a reasonable price.Special Features:
- Quality of the food is consistentOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/7/2013Quality of the food is consistent but the service is ordinary.Special Features:
- Our entree's were excellent,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/6/2013Our entree's were excellent, particularly the lamb chops. Our service was also excellent...and friendly! Our guests said they would happily return, regardless of the nearly 1 hour drive it took for them to get there.Special Features:
- First I want laud the service,BarryVIPDined on 1/5/2013First I want laud the service, Keith, our waiter did a great job taking care of us. The Salmon was excellent and we especially enjoyed the banana cream pie for dessert.Special Features:
- Service wasn't very good onOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 12/31/2012Service wasn't very good on new years eve. Fixed menu, but underseasoned food. I had the prime rib the wife had a steak. The steak had little to no seasoning and the prime rib was under seasoned. It seemed like to get adequate service we needed to speak spanish from how it appeared the other tables around us were being serviced. We were never introduced to our server and so we didn't know to speak with until an older gentleman took our order. He was a little hard of hearing and on multiple occasions we had to wait until he was looking right at us to get his attention because he couldn't hear us say "excuse me". Maybe we were there on an off day, but ymmv.
- Food was really good. GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/29/2012Food was really good. Great service. Would definitely come back.Special Features:
- This was my first visit toOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/28/2012This was my first visit to this restaurant and i was pleasantly surprised. When i arrived early i decided to get a drink at the bar which was packed. A very lively crowd who seemed to be enjoying themselves. I did get a seat by the fireplace and enjoyed the atmosphere. When the rest of my party arrived we were shown to our table. Prime rib was excellent and done to perfection. We all enjoyed our food very much. I'd definitely return again.
- Great Gem in FremontOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 12/21/2012The Prime rib is tasty. It's nice being able to see the cutting of your meat at the table. The waiter's and staff all stop by and greeted us with genuine bon homme! Great soups. I love their soups. Lunch is always great. I like it because they always have something good to eat no matter what my mood. Everyone is going to have a good time there.Special Features:
- After reading the reviewsDissatisfiedDined on 12/20/2012After reading the reviews and watching the kitchen nightmares show we were excited to try the restaurant. However now we know why we have never tried spin a yarn and will not be back.
- A great findOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/29/2012This was our first time to this restaurant and it was a very enjoyable experience. It was nice to be able find this restaurant between Los Gatos and Alameda for a very nice meal for several of us coming from different locations.
- Too pricey, will return againOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/17/2012Too pricey, will return again only if prices go down.
- Gordon Ramsey Does It Again!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/27/2012My fiance and I are big fans of Gordon Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares. We watched an episode that featured Spin-A-Yarn, and since we lived in the area, we wanted to stop by and see if they had improved since Gordon stopped by. We have to say, they far exceeded our expectations! The restaurant was beautiful (apart from the stained-glass windows), the waiters were very attentive, and the food was phenomenal. I had the halibut, which was a pure white on the inside and perfectly cooked. I also had the lime corn as a side, and that was delicious! My fiance had the prime rib. From the show, we thought it would be rolled out on a trolley and cut in front of us, but it wasn't. That was probably the only disappointing part. You have to try it, though!Special Features:
- Not busy but service was slow.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/20/2012Not busy but service was slow. They did take can of our appetizer. Had nice live music during late dinner.Special Features:
- FREMONT'S FINEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!NewarkredDined on 9/29/2012WE CELEBRATED OUR DAUGHTER'S BIRTHDAY THERE & ALL OF OUR MEALS WERE EXCELLENT. THE WINE LIST WAS GOOD WITH REASONABLE PRICES. SAKI, THE OWNER SAT US AT OUR TABLE & IS VERY PERSONABLE. OUR WAITER WAS FANTASTIC & MADE US ALL FEEL AT HOME. WE WILL BE RETURNING NOT ONLY FOR SPECIAL OCCASIONS EITHER.Special Features:
- Kitchen Nightmares RevisitedOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/24/2012I admit I did come here after the episode of Kitchen Nightmares. So came here to give it a try. On their website lists porterhouse steak, which is my favorite steak, on the dinner menu. When I got there the waiter showed me the menu and there was no porterhouse steak. I showed him the website and asked if the restaurant has the porterhouse. He confirmed they don't serve it. What a bummer I felt like I was Gordon Ramsay. It took a while for me to decide the entree I wanted. For appetizers I ordered the Spin-a-Yarn prawns. They were good but nothing special. I ended up getting the prime rib as recommended by the waiter. It was moist and tender. If you are going to call an eatery a steakhouse you better have more than 3 steaks on your menu.Special Features:
- Great service made this aOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/22/2012Great service made this a great meal. Food was well prepared and presented, and we will definitely use this place for a special event.Special Features:
- Ambiance was great. The primeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/21/2012Ambiance was great. The prime rib is the best I have ever had. I consider myself a maprime rib connoisseur.Special Features: