59 Penhallow Street
Portsmouth, NH 03801Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.ristorantemassimo.com/
- Phone: 6034364000
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
Monday - Friday: for groups of 5 or more - We ask that a guest call by 12:00p.m. the day of the reservation to cancel or we reserve the right to charge a $20.00 per person fee.
Saturday: all reservations - We ask that a guest call by 12:00p.m. the day of the res reservation to cancel or we reserve the right to change a $20.00 per person fee.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Jethro Loichle
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Ristorante Massimo is the perfect setting for celebrating a special occasion or hosting a corporate event. Here guests can enjoy customized menus, an intimate setting and impeccable service. Our elegant private dining room can accommodate up to 20 guests and special arrangements can be made for larger groups. State-of-the-art audiovisual equipment is available. We look forward to taking personal care of every detail of your entertaining needs.
- Private Party Contact: Massimo Morgia 603-436-4000
- Entertainment: Our staff!
- Cross Street: State Street
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Ristorante Massimo offers complimentary weekend valet service. Our private lot is available for guest parking midweek. Simply alert the maitre d' of your arrival via telephone and we will gladly provide access to our gated lot.
A word from Ristorante Massimo
Nestled like a hidden jewel in historic downtown Portsmouth, New Hampshire, Massimo's warmly lit brick and stone grotto walls, fresh flowers and oil paintings of magnificent Italian landscapes transports guests to Florence, Rome and Venice. Guests relax in a richly appointed atmosphere beneath mahogany-beamed ceilings and private parties unwind in their own intimate dining room. Ristorante Massimo offers authentic dishes from all regions of Italy. From innovative concepts to timeless Italian favorites, our executive chef creates each dish with a distinctive, refined touch as found in some of the worlds most celebrated restaurants. Thoroughly unforgettable, unbelievable satisfying. **limited dining room availability offered online**Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Ristorante Massimo - Best Restaurants in Portsmouth ›
Ristorante Massimo reviews from OpenTable diners
96 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
romantic (79)special occasion (75)fit for foodies (52)neighborhood gem (37)notable wine list (37)good for groups (8)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (3)hot spot (3)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- FabulousFreddyDined on 6/7/2014The restaurant is wonderful. Nice atmosphere and great food. Reserve early, there's never any seats left.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timedavid38766Dined on 6/4/2014I took a first date here and we had a great time. Our waiter, Maurice, was exceptional. The food was great and the atmosphere was perfect.Special Features:
- GeoffDined on 6/3/2014Good food, service and ambience. Everyone in our party enjoyed our dining experience.Special Features:
- HungryDined on 5/31/2014Massimos is always top-notch. Very consistent with excellent food and wine, and Massimo himself always makes everyone feel welcome. Our favorite restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- birthday dinnervisitingVIPDined on 5/24/2014Great place, very elegant place to dine, very good service, friendly and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 563 reviews are from the Ristorante Massimo reviews archive.
- a special placeseabroncoDined on 5/17/2014Massimo graciously welcomes and sets the tone for a wonderful evening. Waiters are helpful and food selection is fabulous. Great wines with a comfortable pricing range accent the outstanding taste of the food. A truly memorable evening with Massimo bidding you a good evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expected a little moreOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014What a beautiful restaurant! The atmosphere was lovely - the food however, not so great. The manager was very nice and came and spoke to us regarding our occasion. He was very accommodating. The service however, not so great. We clearly weren't a priority as some of the other patrons.Special Features:
- DisappointedDennisDined on 5/10/2014I have been to this restaurant before and really loved it. But this time I chose the special because the entre sounded so good with pouched shrimp over ravioli. The dish I received was fried soft shelled crab over ravioli. I like crab so I ate it...half way through I told our waiter what I had as I felt he needed to know so he wouldn't advise others it was shrimp. He apologized and said he thought that special was over and he would correct it but I was almost through so I said no that was alright. When I was done, a bowel of shrimp appeared..too lateSpecial Features:
- Dinner in ItalyFoodieDined on 5/8/2014Having dinner at Massimo's is as close to Italy as you can get without traveling there! The space is beautiful, food excellent, and service impeccable. Your host, Massimo will welcome you and make you feel like you are family. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine dining Italian styleNEfoodieDined on 5/5/2014Is an island of fine Italian dining in a sea of good but casual area restaurants. Visit when you've had your fill of the typically repetitive Italian menu. Michael and the other servers are attentive and knowledgeable about food and wine pairing (harder given variability of Italian wines) yet unobtrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Every time is a pleasureFoodLoverDined on 5/3/2014Massimo's warmth and enthusiasm about serving great food and managing a wonderful restaurant show in every aspect of the restaurant. Everyone from the weekend valet to bussers has a ready smile as well. The food is delicious and appropriately portioned. Magnifico! We enjoyed this visit so much, we made another reservation before we left the building!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply The Bestdrbarry1Dined on 5/2/2014You will not find better Italian on the seacoast with service and ambience to match.Special Features:
- great timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/26/2014While it was a little slow getting initial drinks ordered it got better as the night went on. The service and advice to our questions eas excellent and the food was coked to perfection...great restaurant and excellent choice when visiting Portsmouth!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- chipDined on 4/25/2014we did the chef sampling and their suggested wine pariings. the food was fabulous and the wine charge of 15 pp allowed us four different wines to go with each food. highly recommend this restaurantSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/24/2014Ristorante Massimo is one of our favorite places to eat. Massimo is so present in his restaurant and is such a wonderful man. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- excellent!majmomDined on 4/17/2014Wonderful and attentive service from Megan. Her recommendations from cheese to wine to dessert were all spot on! The ravioli of the day topped with ribeye was fabulous! We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in PortsmouthOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/16/2014Massimo's is a class act. 5 Stars all around. Staff is well-informed, ownership is present and the food was marvelous. Thanks so much, you made my wife's birthday dinner a night to remember. She ordered the Lobster Risotto and I ordered the Scallops. Homerun. Can't wait to try something else.Special Features:
- Great!FoodieDined on 4/15/20145 stars in all areas - massimo's is the best fine dining restaurant in Portsmouth! Great food, wonderful service, and beautiful space - it's as close to dining in Italy as it can get!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My first visit, during restaurantWilchDined on 4/11/2014My first visit, during restaurant week. Now that I know how excellent it is I'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stands out in a city fullmabgabDined on 4/9/2014Stands out in a city full of good restaurant choices.Special Features:
- Consistent Excellence2flygirlsDined on 4/7/2014Ristorante Massimo's is a delightful dining experience. The food is flavorful and innovative. The service is impeccable and the ambiance is warm and inviting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We went for Restaurant WeekKateDined on 4/7/2014We went for Restaurant Week and to celebrate a birthday. Everything was delicious. One of our VERY favorite restaurants!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a Restaurant Week FavoritekarenDined on 4/7/2014We first dined at Massimos during the summer and had a lovely experience. We decided to revisit it during Restaurant Week. Not the best choice. While the wait staff and ambience were wonderful our meals were lacking: everyone's scallops were gritty and a few were over cooked; the beef entree was gristly and the profiteroles were ho-hum with barely any filling. We were hoping for more from such a highly rated restaurant. We left wanting and disappointed.Special Features:
- Massimo is truly perfect!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/5/2014Massimo is an exquisite dining experience. From the time you walk in and are greeted by Massimo himself until the time you leave everything is impeccable. The delicious menu, extensive wine list, and service are always spot on. Massimo always makes you feel like a VIP, whether you have dined there many times or only a few. This is by far the go to restaurant for five star Michelin quality food and service in Portsmouth. You will not be disappointed by anything!Special Features:
- kev&bren anniversaryPT14dineDined on 4/4/2014The food was exceptional, and the waiter was even better. He paid special attention to my gluten allergy (Celiac), and made sure that everything that I ordered was made with this in mind.Special Features:
- Menu was not correctOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/3/2014We came during the restaurant week, the web menu had chicken and fish. However, when we came April 3d at 8pm, both chicken and fish were not available. My wife actually asked the servant to include chicken or fish into the 3 course offer, but the request was not granted. The ventilation above our table turned on with cold air, all people started getting cold, that was during desert time. Finally, the bill had an error, they charged us for 4 coffees while we only had 2, that was later correct upon our request.
- opening nite- restaurant weekabbeywoofDined on 4/3/2014Never disappointed, Massimo's venue was decadent cave like cellar with classical gold framed paintings and extensive wine collection on display . Maurice was attentive without being intrusive. Daughter said the steak was the best she has tasted. Scallops were perfectly seared, spinach and side were exquisite. The portion was on small side. The appetizers of fried oysters were excellent. A fan favorite is the profiterole and it did not disappoint! If you are a local and haven't yet experienced Massimo's, this is your chance to enjoy a special evening with a tasting menu that is affordable and enjoyable!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectionAlexandriaDined on 3/22/2014I usually don't write reviews but this place was simply perfect. The service, the food, the ambience, everything . Would recommend it to everyone and can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice FindfiremarshalbillVIPDined on 3/15/2014My wife took me here for my birthday. Found it to be an excellent restaurant that we will return to.Special Features:
- Discoverybuster007Dined on 3/15/2014Exceptional service! Exceptional food! Exceptional ambiance! Exceptional wine! Exceptional dining event! Best service I ever have had in 6 decades of going to restaurants! Will visit now many times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect date night!MegsDined on 3/8/2014Drinks, appetizer, dinner, and dessert were all spectacular! The service was excellent and we had the best table in the restaurant - it was a very romantic and perfect evening! We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/1/2014What a wonderful place to celebrate a special occasion. It is warm and inviting, very romantic, cozy but not close. The staff is attentive and knowledgable. The food is very good...2 of the 6 in our party were disappointed with their pasta course, surprising for an Italian restaurant, but everything else was great!Special Features:
- Excellent food and ambienceSmahtgirlDined on 3/1/2014Really liked this restaurant. Ed combined it with a walk around Portsmouth which is charming . We will go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food is fantastic. AnythingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/1/2014The food is fantastic. Anything you order is perfectly cooked and presented.Special Features:
- Food was bland and tasteless.OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 2/21/2014Not sure we will return to this restaurant. The atmosphere was outstanding and is what you pay for. The food was bland and tasteless in general, and the fish was overcooked and dry. The attractive presentation may be at the expense of flavor. A dry piece of fish can be accounted for by a bad night in the kitchen, but flavor comes from the recipe and the chef.
- Chef's TastingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/7/2014We attended a Chef's Tasting. our server was very friendly, spent time with us answering questions about the food and the wine. Very enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was wonderful, but theOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/1/2014Food was wonderful, but the evening was marred by the bad service. We had a 7:00 PM reservation and arrived about 10 minutes early. We were seated a liitle after 7:30. The waiter, Ken, took our order. The first course arrived and was excellent. When our main course arrived, we each ordered a glass of wine. Didn't see the waiter again for almost an hour. We had finished our main course and the plates had been removed. The waiter reappeared saying our wine was coming...since we had finished our meal, we cancelled the wine and asked for the check. Wine was on the bill. We were using a gift card and the amount of our bill , including wine, came close to the total of the gift card. We left the gift card and a small tip and departed.
- Marvelous Massimo'sSteveVIPDined on 2/1/2014Friends had been telling us about Massimo's for months so we, finally, set a date to go and it was worth the wait. Candace took very good care of us. Drinks were well described and tasty. The bread was beautiful. Our appetizer provided a nice variety while not being too filling. The food was delicious with good contrasts and intense flavours. The recommended wine was just right. The atmosphere is cozy with attractive decoration and paintings that take you right to Italy and without annoying televisions all over the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No surprisesDanielJHDined on 2/1/2014No surprises at Massimo ! We knew we would find good food and service and we had a wonderful birthday evening for my wife.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely delightfulOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/1/2014Delicious food , top notch service , romantic ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.