Brasserie Jo - Boston
120 Huntington Avenue
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Brasserie Jo - Boston
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.brasseriejo.com/
- Phone: 6174253240x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 6:30am - 11:00am, Saturday & Sunday: 7:00am - 12:00pm; Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Bar: Sunday: 10am - 1am, Monday - Wednesday: 8:00am - 1:00am, Thursday - Saturday: 8:00am - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Nicholas Calias
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Salon Privé, the private dining room in Brasserie JO, is an elegant choice for your next social gathering or business dinner. Appointed in the same rich cherry wood and marble as the main dining room, the walls are decorated with vintage French posters, giving it an unusually exuberant air without the stuffiness of an ordinary banquet space.
A word from Brasserie Jo - Boston
Internationally renowned chef Jean Joho presents Brasserie Jo, Boston's only authentic French Brasserie. Joho's extensive menu features simply prepared light offerings, entrees and desserts that incorporate Alsace and other regional French influences.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Brasserie Jo - Boston reviews from OpenTable diners
110 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (45)fit for foodies (37)good for groups (34)neighborhood gem (30)notable wine list (30)great for lunch (27)romantic (26)great for brunch (26)late-night find (15)vibrant bar scene (13)hot spot (12)great for outdoor dining (9)kid-friendly (8)scenic view (1)Show More
- Excellent BrunchCarolitaDined on 6/15/2014My family took my father here for Father's Day Brunch. We had a n excellent dining experience. The food was excellent and the service was impeccable! I will be back, and I'll definitely recommend it to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- going downhill?HouryDined on 6/13/2014service and food is going downhill and table for two is tooo close to other tables, not once did waiter come to check if everything is okSpecial Features:
- A pleasant and satisfying placepierzyna01Dined on 6/11/2014This is the second year in a row that we spent our weddiing anniversary at Brasserie Jo before attending Film Night at the Boston Pops. The food and service was great, desert was free courtesy of the Boston Pops tickets. All in all, a very pleasant way to spend a romantic evening -- at less expense than some neighboring restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice placebruhamaDined on 6/11/2014I like to go here from time to time when I don't want a lot of ambient noise or hustle bustle. Lunch was good, service a little too good (interrupting important conversation), but locating us at a table where we could only face a partial wall when there were quite a few other open tables felt odd. I'll still return, though.Special Features:
- Server helped us get to BSO on timediner21VIPDined on 6/10/2014A recent dinner was potentially stressful as, due to traffic, we were 30 min. late and had a performance at Symphony Hall to get to by 8 pm. Once our server heard this, he stepped up the pace of beverage delivery and taking our food order. The choices appeared in time for us to both enjoy our meal and get out the door when we needed to. Good job.I would recommend this to a friend.
- like it for French bistro foodAlisonDined on 6/9/2014Love the food and atmosphere. The salad Nicoise is excellent and the pomme frite are the best in Boston.Special Features:
- yummyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/9/2014Thank you for a wonderful lunch! Have heard of Brasserie Jo through family and made it a priority to visit during our trip to Boston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very EnjoyableNoneVIPDined on 6/7/2014Selected this restaurant based on OpenTable membership and reviews. It was an excellent dining experience. Highly recommended!I would recommend this to a friend.
- MikeMikeVIPDined on 6/7/2014Great. Thank you. You made our Boston visit that much more!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CapeloveVIPDined on 6/5/2014Good, great wait staff, and comfortable atmosphere. I will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1690 reviews are from the Brasserie Jo - Boston reviews archive.
- BEST moules ever!!YummyEats23Dined on 5/30/2014Found myself in Boston overnight with a yen for good steamed mussels. Searched up on the web and this restaurant came up again & again--I was not disappointed! A full pound and a half of delicious steamed mussels served in the most amazing soup/sauce--not too overbearing or salty (which is my complaint for most steamed mussel sauces). The country pate appetizer was light and tasty and the waiter's suggestion of the Endive salad was perfect. I'm not usually a fan of endive salads due to the tendency toward bitterness, but this salad was actually sweet and refreshing--tossed with bleu cheese, apples and candied walnuts. Oh--and the freshly baked full baguette served in its bag was the perfect way to sop up the sauce from the mussels!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently outstandingCrusaderVIPDined on 5/30/2014Another outstanding dinner at Brasserie Jo! It's perfect for special occasions, business entertaining, and all pre-Symphony dining (Symphony Hall is a short stroll down the street). The food never ceases to impress. While all of the waitstaff are very professional and helpful, my favorite is Ernie, friendly, polite, helpful, responsive, and extremely knowledgeable about all aspects of the menu. Don't forget dessert! Profiteroles, chocolate mousse are legendary.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/29/2014This is a reliable but not exciting choice for dinner before concerts at Symphony and Jordan Hall
- VeryGood Food, but So-So ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/28/2014We enjoyed our meals at Brasserie Jo -- the salads and the French-style flatbread pizzas were especially good -- but portions were small for the money and our waiter disappeared at times (when we wanted to pay our bill and get going to a play, we found him watching a baseball game on a nearby TV). So, while this is a convenient spot in an area where there aren't great pickings, we might not rush back here, given the only-so-so service.Special Features:
- SkippyVIPDined on 5/27/2014We loved the food and atmosphere! Good choice of wines, too.Special Features:
- B Johakan07Dined on 5/22/2014Going for the last 4 years. Same good quality service food and drinks. Fee you are at home. Welcoming staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- brasserie jowilnedDined on 5/21/2014The restaurant was perfect for a meal after a recent trip to paris. The menu was fine with a variety of options. The food was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DynahVIPDined on 5/17/2014Our waiter was new and had more tables than he was comfortable handling, though he was friendly he was not adequate at multi-tasking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French mealJSNJVIPDined on 5/15/2014Good food, need to train staff so that they can explain the menu well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner Mother's Day 2014vivekDined on 5/11/2014Many families with kids at 6:00 PM. Very nice ambiance. Limited choices on menu. Items overpriced. Service fair to poor. We had to chase down our waiters. The waiter combined all the leftover items into 1 take home package ( doggie bag).Special Features:
- don't go for brunchrebeccaiVIPDined on 5/11/2014I have eaten at Brasserie Jo several times for dinner and have always enjoyed the food. This time I went for Mother's Day brunch. I should have known not to go to a restaurant for a buffet brunch that does not regularly serve a buffet brunch but I thought they could pull it off... I was wrong! The food was very disappointing, especially considering the price ($45 / adult). The French toast was dry, the fish was salty and carving station had chicken!! Dry, bland chicken!
- Mother's Day & other occasions.jayemlewDined on 5/11/2014I highly recommend Brasserie Jo! I was just there for a great Mother's Day Brunch. The food choices were amazing! Omelets made to order, a dizzying array of sweets, bacon, ham, roasted potatoes, chicken, salad, fruit, cheese & crackers. I don't even have enough room here to list it all. I've been to Brasserie Jo for other occasions as well. Once before a night at the symphony and again during Boston's restaurant week. I've never had a thing here that wasn't delicious. I think everyone should give this place a try.Special Features:
- Mothers Day brunchGilreignVIPDined on 5/11/2014Disappointed! We always enjoy our meals at Brasserie Jo. This was our first visit for Mothers Day. We had come to an Easter brunch previously. We had a wonderful experience then, with a mimosa bar and brunch as well as the regular menu available. This visit was entirely a buffet brunch, which we did not expect. The price was high for the food received. I was surprised that no mention of the special brunch was mentioned when the restaurant confirmed the reservation. The staff was disinterested, I heard several customers ask if there were Mother's Day flowers available. The answer was "Oh yah, over there." I will return for regular service, but never again for a holiday!
- UnderratedanonVIPDined on 5/9/2014We had a great steak frites and steak tartare. Cute bistro style surrounds, even if maybe a little dated. Excellent value.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a nice business dinner!JCinPAVIPDined on 5/6/2014I get so tired of steak houses on the road. This place had great food at excellent prices--not cheap, but very reasonable providing outstanding value. I said notable wine list because it was the same way, lots of good wines in the $30-50 price range. Fantastic dinner venue.Special Features:
- Very DisappointedElaineVIPDined on 5/4/2014Poor service. Very!!. Food was questionable flavor, temperature, quality. Had the duck with peas. temperature of 3 items were all different. Will go down as the worst French restaurant I have eaten in. Barely saw the waiter. The bus boy was excellent and kept apologizing. He needs promoted. My champagne $18 a glass was flat and took 15mins to reach me!
- looking upLloydVIPDined on 5/4/2014This visit was so much better than the last one, where the food had to be sent back twice and the service was rude. Excellent steak (and fries!), excellent short ribs, good service (though we had to wait a while to attract the server's attention to get some ground pepper). Lovely window table nd quiet ambience made conversation easy. Such a good place when everything is working.Special Features:
- Great pre - entertainment venueBeforeBalletDined on 5/3/2014They were very considerate to serve in a timely fashion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sound Brasserie ValuesgantiereaderDined on 5/1/2014This establishment plays the brasserie role well with a cordial welcome, professional service, and excellent dishes from a varied menu that's not too busy. Oysters and clams on the half-shell if you want them; appetizers that could serve well as a series of small plates; and well designed main courses. I had one of the weekly specials - fennel-crusted halibut - which came out perfectly cooked and served with a selection of fingerling potatoes (not too many) and small, fresh greens and mushrooms that created an astonishing criss-cross of flavors in the mouth. Quite impressive and not ostentatious. Total for aperitif, appetizer, main course, wine, dessert, and coffee came to about $87 with gratuity.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Lunch with Friends!DandJSVIPDined on 5/1/2014We were a party of six friends that were able to talk quietly with each other around the table. Our food was excellent and the service professional and attentive. We were extremely pleased.Special Features:
- For a... Select CrowdpfdoyleDined on 4/25/2014I went here with my girlfriend on a date, not knowing that it was a hotel lobby restaurant. The food was decent, nothing too special, except that it was very overpriced in my opinion. Definitely caters to an older crowd, so we two college students felt pretty out of place. Service was alright, again, not spectacular. I probably would not go here if I weren't staying at the hotel, especially considering the dozens of other great restaurants in the area.Special Features:
- Oppi328VIPDined on 4/23/2014Brasserie Jo is a great restaurant to go to before the theatre. It is very French with great menu items and terrific service! For our appetizers, I had a Boston Bibb salad, and my husband ordered the French onion soup. Both were excellent! For our entrees, My husband ordered the duck. It was a little too salty but tasty. I had a special of the evening which was poached salmon with artichokes. It was absolutely outstanding!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Easter BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/20/2014I overlook Brasserie Jo's often as a hotel restaurant but when we stop back in I remember why I enjoy it so much. This is a great brunch, very child friendly and outstanding choicesSpecial Features:
- Could be much betterRogerVIPDined on 4/19/2014Long wine list. Did not have 3 of the ones I selected. Waiter was rude. I hate this kind of waiters
- Great for authentic French foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/19/2014Steak frites excellent as well as the coq au vin and onion soup. Would highly recommend. Came across this restaurant after we couldn't get reservations at Stephanie's on Newberry. Will definitely make this one of our go to places in Boston!
- OKOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/19/2014Service is friendly and good. Quality of food is good, standard French fare, nothing that jumps out.Special Features:
- Brunch perfection!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 4/19/2014I came here for brunch this past weekend (not my first time) and this place is great! From the quick and friendly service to the AMAZING food and wonderful ambience (great music and respectful diners), I highly recommend this restaurant! You can sit in or outside as well. Just be careful, if you go for brunch, their unlimited coffee supply (left on the table) can cause the jitters! Delicious coffee though :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brasserie Jo's easy eleganceBostonJDeanDined on 4/18/2014For several years Brasserie Jo has been my choice of venue for dinner prior to a performance at the Huntington Theater or Symphony Hall. My last visit, with a dear friend after a hectic Friday workday, was yet another fine experience. Beginning with the exact table I had requested, what could have been a routine quick dinner played out as a quiet celebration of fine food and fine, unobtrusive service. The atmosphere is calm and elegant, but never stuffy. I am greeted warmly by serving staff that have seen my face for years, as well as by new additions to the team. I keep going back.Special Features:
- Dependable vittlesFrankophileVIPDined on 4/17/2014As always, we enjoyed the food we ordered at Brasserie Jo, starting by splitting a Tarte Flambe, moving on to sharing a delicious Roasted Bass, and finishing with the decadent Profiteroles. Service was fine, if not particularly attentive, but be aware that this is not one of those places that pays attention to any comments you might include in your OpenTable reservation. After a poor service experience during a pre-theater visit last month, we made sure to impress upon our server this time around that we had a 7:30 curtain a few blocks away. This information, which we had included in our reservation this time around as well, had clearly not been passed along to him.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/15/2014We had an excellent dinner in this classically French restaurant. The service was attentive, without being overbearing and our waiter was very helpful with his knowledge of how food was prepared, suggestions on wine selection, etc. Looking forward to going back!Special Features: