790 8th Avenue
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.pigallenyc.com/
- Phone: 2124892233
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 6:30am - 11:30am
Saturday & Sunday: 6:30am - 10:00am
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 5:00pm
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 5:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 12:30am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Geoffrey Bruijneel
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Our executive chef has crafted multiple menus to accommodate every event. Wether it is buffet or family style, a sit down dinner, or breakfast and lunch boxes on the go we will work with you to fulfill your request and specifications. Our fully stocked bar plays host to many varieties of spirits and specialty cocktails. Not to be outdown is our extensive wine list which features wines from around the world.
- Cross Street: Corner of 48th street and 8th avenue
- Public Transit: The C or E trains to 50th street The 1 or 9 trains to 50th street. The N or R trains to 49th street.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Closest parking garage to Pigalle is at 49th street and 8th avenue. Additional parking available at 49th between 8th and 9th avenues and 50th street between 8th and broadway.
A word from Pigalle
A throw back to the 1950's, this authentic Paris cafe in the heart of New York theater district on Eighth Avenue will not only seduce you with its elegant charm and quiet ambiance but will take you to Paris with all its delights. Inside the restaurant, a zinc top bar circles from the main dining room to the cocktail lounge. White,green and gold ceramic tiles line the wall behind the bar leading to a glass enclosed wine room. The main dining area has saffron colored walls, a pastel terracotta tiled floor, and antique mirrors along the ceiling. Wide cylinder shaped sconces form a circe overhead while wall sconces cast a soft glow throughtout the room. Colorful rattan furniture line the front of the room to create a casual cafe feel. Rows of light wood French doors open Champs Elysees style onto the sidewalk of people watching pedestrian at this busy cross section of theater land. This loving re-creation touches all the visual and culinary bases. The essence of a French bistro.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Pigalle reviews from OpenTable diners
56 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (20)fit for foodies (19)great for lunch (18)great for brunch (13)good for groups (9)notable wine list (9)special occasion (8)late-night find (8)kid-friendly (5)romantic (5)vibrant bar scene (3)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Pigalle Fails Miserably!loncandersonVIPDined on 5/25/2014I have eaten at Pigalle and recommended it countless times because of the ambiance and food. We were the first table to arrive nevertheless service was slow. We started with absinthe which took almost 30 mins to arrive. Appetizers arrived slow, drinks arrived slow, and then the beef tartare arrived another 30 minutes later; 2 hours had passed. The staff were flustered, the manager dismissive, and the chef used an inferior piece of meat for the tartare. When we tried to pay we were told that the system was down and would take 15 minutes to come back online - other staff members were visibly frustrated. After 10 mins we were told we could pay by cash or continue to wait. After waiting another 10 mins we paid by cash and left.
- Fine spot in Theater DistrictBlortDined on 5/22/2014Pigalle provides delicious food of sensible proportions at an expected price. I enjoyed well prepared Duck with a nice vegetable pairing. Seating is somewhat cramped, and even during week, it fills up Right before shows typically start (that is, it thins out around 7 p.m.).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OOH-LA-LAPaonia12Dined on 5/17/2014The food is fabulous and the chef accomodating. An individual in our party wanted escargot for her appetizer and it was no longer offered on the brunch menu. We asked our waiter to ask the chef and the chef was most accomodating and specially prepared the dish. It was delicious as was the rest of our meals. The bar tender also prepared an alcoholic beverage that he wasn't familiar with. When we told him what made up the drink, he prepared successfully prepared it. Pigalle is a wonderful experience all around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dessertsAeweDined on 5/10/2014You have to get the Creme brûlée at this restaurant! It is one of the best I have ever had. All the food was delicious. We ordered off the menu as the prixe fix menu was dull. Great wine list and excellent service. They were crowded but we didn't feel rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy!NormanDined on 5/9/2014Really good food. Especially enjoyed the Belgian beers.Special Features:
- pigalle experienceJoedudeDined on 5/3/2014Very loud during lunch. Food was good until dessert- worst crème brulee ever. My wife's dessert was bad too_ must of been sitting in fridge for days.Special Features:
- Solid French cuisineJillwDined on 4/27/2014This is an excellent spot if you're going to a Broadway show in the area as we were that night. My croque madame was a little overdone on the crust, another's salmon was superb, a mixed vegetable platter was very nice as was a paté and soup. This is a great place to go for both light and heavier fare..there are such choices at all hours of the day from salads to "plat principals." I brought two people who'd never been before and they are looking forward to going again to sample other menu choices because there's such a variety. I gave it an outstanding review because though not a fancy restaurant, it hits all the right notes as far as relaxed comfort, "comfort" french food, nice ambiance to sit and talk, excellent wine and service.Special Features:
- PigallewnpveronaVIPDined on 4/27/2014Great for pre-theatre. The service is very quick. Food is good. And they don't rush you out.
- GTHJrVIPDined on 4/26/2014A great place for a larger than average party (we had 8). Everything arrived as it should, hot and at the same time. Food is very good; atmosphere is like a true Paris bistro.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch near Time SquareSandyDined on 4/26/2014Reasonable prices, great food - who could ask for more. It will be a regular spot for me when I visit NYC. I have been recommending it to everyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Last chance saloonNot2old2eatDined on 4/25/2014Having gone to the trouble of making a reservation we were bitterly disappointed to be given a table which was in a circulation walkway. With hindsight we should have said no but being British we are reluctant to make a fuss. From such a start it should have got better but the waiter had none of the social graces that the job required. Acceptable food was delivered and the waiter seemed to disappear. We finally managed to end up talking to the manager who agreed with us in our assessment of the table placing and the attitude of the waiter. A reduced bill was small consolation.
- Unusual glitchOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/24/2014Salmon was served so dry that my companion developed a coughing fit for 10 minutes. They were very gracious and replaced the salmon with something very tasty. I will go back, but it was a disappointment. Part of the trouble was the noise level interfered with the waitress's understanding of the order (no, we did not want well-done salmon).
- Fun pre-theatre dinnerBostonLadyDined on 4/22/2014I booked about a week in advance and was given a great table by the windows. The staff was considerate on the phone as I changed the number of guests the day before. The food was very good, and the desserts were excellent. Try the flan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lackluster foodCheryllouVIPDined on 4/20/2014Manhattan prices - great theater location - lackluster food - excellent serviceSpecial Features:
- Good eatstheaterlover2Dined on 4/19/2014I usually dine at Pigalle on week nights. First time on a Saturday night and the presentation was different. Once again I succumb to the steamed mussels which this evening were served in a large black caste iron pot. Was good but broth was creamy but not buttery. Like the usual version better but it was still well seasoned with lots of tender sweet mussels. Try 'em, you'll love 'em.Special Features:
- Best restaurant in Theatre DistrictTheIguanaDined on 4/11/2014This place is fantastic! We've usually gone for the breakfast but decided to try it for dinner after a friend of ours (who eats there once a week) recommended it. The prices are pretty amazing for such a great place. The food was spectactular, and the desserts were as good as any I've had in France. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Just As We Remembered!RelaxedtouristDined on 4/9/2014Companion and I had enjoyed dinner at Pigalle in 2003. When we found ourselves in Midtown this week, we decided to see if it was as good as we recalled. Long story short? YES. Entrees of seared trout and duck breast were well-prepared, had interesting side vegs, and were beautifully but not fussily plated. I had the impeccable creme brule for dessert; Companion said the pear tart was so good there would've been plate-licking if there were no witnesses. We were most appreciative that the hostess was able to find us a table in the window so we could enjoy evening falling on 8th Ave. Before the pre-theatre crowd thinned out it was noisy, but actually a nice dull roar that was strangely comfortable. Well worth the return visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Theatre District StandbyCurlyDined on 4/6/2014We had tix for 7 PM at a theatre around the corner. We arrived early for our 5:30 reservation at Pigalle and ordered drinks, later ordered appetizers, the entrees instead of ordering all at once. The crab cake was really crabby! The quiche Lorraine was excellent. Skirt steak cooked exactly to order. Wait staff were available but not in our faces. This was our 2nd time here and will definitely be back.
- Good food and service. EspeciallyDeniseDined on 4/6/2014Good food and service. Especially nice in this neighborhood was being seated before my dining companion arrived.
- Not what I expectedCrisfoodyDined on 4/5/2014Food is ok, service pretty bad, waiters rude even that The place was empty
- Great Local Resto in Theatre Dist.DebbieDined on 4/2/2014I've been to Pigalle many times for brunch before Sun. matinee and first time for dinner this week. My friends and I were impressed with the excellent food, service, cocktails and ambiance. Reasonably priced and more local clientele than tourist. One of my go-to restaurants in the theatre district.Special Features:
- Great food and ambiencepaulm1982Dined on 3/29/2014We went here after a broadway play, which was only a block away. The ambience was romantic, the food was great, our waiter did a great job despite having a large group of people to wait on. I got an amazing skirt steak and my wife a delicious peppercorn steak. The only minor complaint I would make, is the water/bread server came across very cold and didn't seem to care much for being there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Have been to Pigalle severalelenaDined on 3/29/2014Have been to Pigalle several times. Food was always very good. Quality of the ingredients was mediocre and disappointing. almost feels like they changed chefs and the food purveyors.
- DeliciousNEC1Dined on 3/29/2014Our party of four had a delicious early after theater dinner. We started by sharing an order of quiche and onion tart. We liked the quiche better than the tart but both were tasty and served with sliced tomatoes and frisee as a garnish. Two of us had the cod special which moist and delicious and served with wonderful vegetables and the other two had the Duarade which they liked as well. This was our second experience at Pigalle and we will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Conglomerate Siberia, en francais.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/29/2014The good: nice decor in a massive restaurant convenient to the Theater District, with classically trained French cooks churning out brasserie classics. I want to go back for brunch. The bad: The red Bordeaux wine. And it's a chain. The conglomerate owns many restaurants including Five Napkin Burger and they are opening one in Dubai, according to the manager. My mother and my aunt were seated in Siberia (behind the servery, out of sight from the front door) in a half-banquette that was inaccessible for me due to the freestanding chairs of the neighboring table. The food: Boeuf Bo. was quite good. Soupe L'oignon, meh. The Quiche Lorraine had way too much bacon, and the Pumpkin Ravioli tasted vaguely freezer-burnt despite the lovely sauce.Special Features:
- The tables are on top of eachbethDined on 3/29/2014The tables are on top of each other, too close. The maitre'd was arrogant and would not sit us at two empty tables for 2 (we were 4) and instead put us at a very tiny table. The bathroom for ladies has two stalls in next door hotel- and you have to use a key card and share the bathroom with the hotel lobby- clearly inadequate. The food made up for this stuff as it was good and server was good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-Theatre Gemlsnob1VIPDined on 3/26/2014Consistently very good bistro fair in somewhat noisy and busy atmosphere - but always enjoyable and you'll get to your show on time!I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmedmrgastronomieVIPDined on 3/22/2014Having dined at several other restaurants owned by this restaurant group, I was expecting more. The service was mediocre at best, the meal was poorly paced, and most importantly, not much thought or care went into the preparation of the food. The food was very inconsistent; some items were overly sauced and overly seasoned, others needed more. The glacial pace of the service was quite problematic. The server never checked in on us and he waited much too long to bring out our main courses. This was evident by the temperature of the food when it arrived at the table. As we had tickets for a show, sending the food back wasn't an option. I work in midtown, but I certainly won't be returning here.
- FavoriteRJBermanDined on 3/22/2014My favorite spot in NYC for brunch , lunch, or dinner. Love the location, food, and the prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Looks more promising...NancyDined on 3/14/2014Menu good, Svc pleasant. Either kitchen reallllly slow or waitress lied abt when she put In order or how long prep took. 25 minutes+ btwn appetizer eared and entree came tho some tables vacant. Mgr did comp one entree. So, not bad but not good enough to rtn or recommend.
- Pre-theatre gemSusieDined on 3/13/2014We were 15 minutes late and we were in a rush! We had called to let the maître d' know, he said no worries and sat us immediately, thanking us for our call! The waiter was welcoming and businesslike, we ordered the tomato soup which was delicious and a frisée salad, well dressed and fresh. The salmon and cabbage was excellent, and while my son enjoyed the skirt steak, one piece of meat was not enough (he is 17!). The check came quickly and we were on our way. A thoroughly enjoyable (if rushed because of our lateness) meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Going to the theater...MaraVIPDined on 3/12/2014If going to the theater or in the neighborhood of 48th St. and 8th Ave., be sure to try this brasserie. Reminded me of Paris. Great burgers, onion soup, mussels, croissants etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for TheaterSuziebsDined on 3/9/2014Great neighborhood spot that serves everything from breakfast to dinner with reasonable prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Felt claustrophobic. TablesCocoVIPDined on 3/8/2014Felt claustrophobic. Tables too close. Server was very nice, food tasty. Decor a bit drab
- Consistent ForeverAdmanVIPDined on 3/6/2014I've eaten at this restaurant for over 10 years. The food is consistently good. Excellent price value relationship. Heart of New York and not pillaged on pricing. Love the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful findsireatalotDined on 3/5/2014My husband and I went to this conveniently located restaurant after the theater. We were seated promptly near the window where we can see the outside world. The service was very attentive and the food was outstanding. I didn't expect such well presented and tasty dishes. My appetizer of beets and smoked salmon sounded like an unusual combination, but the blended flavors were delightful. I ordered a scallop entree that was made to perfection and dessert was also a feast for the eyes as well as the palate. I was impressed by the beer selection and ordered a Belgium wheat beer that I hadn't seen on many menus. My husband's lamb dish was made just the way he likes it and the veggies were creative and made to perfection. .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Review of PigalleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/5/2014The restaurant is very convenient to the Broadway theaters. The prices are reasonable and the food is tasty. We were too late for the buffet breakfast that ended at 11:30. I had a Cobb salad that was good. My husband had their tomato soup and a hamburger. It was good as well. The coffee is strong like French coffee and quite good. It was a convenient spot for our pre theater lunch.Special Features:
- Family GatheringBrunchDined on 3/2/2014We met my brother and his wife in the city for brunch and Pigalle was perfect, great food, service and atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and cozy place....oneLinconDined on 2/27/2014Good food and cozy place....one critic: the restroom belongs to the hotel...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, solid, tasty pre theaterOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/27/2014Good, solid, tasty pre theater fare. Service was good and we were not rushed out on a Thursday night, although, to be fair, we had a 5PM reservation, not a busy time.Special Features: