224 King Street
Charleston, SC 29401Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.charlestongrill.com/
- Phone: 8435774522x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm Bar: 5:00pm Daily
Live Jazz: Sunday - Thursday 7:00pm -11:00pm, Friday & Saturday 8:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Low Country, American
- Executive Chef: Michelle Weaver
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Megan Click & Margeaux Gwynne-Vaughan 8435774522x
A word from Charleston Grill
The Charleston Grill offers Contemporary Lowcountry cuisine featuring fresh local produce, seafood & game, prepared with a French accent. Emphasis is placed on the quality of the ingredients, unique presentations & sophisticated textures. Local ingredients include rabbit, oysters, crabmeat, shrimp, fish, duck, greens & grains. Paneled walls, herringbone floors, softly padded carver chairs & local folk art blend with live jazz to create an elegant, but casual setting. The private Vintner's Room features walls of glass-fronted wine cellars showcasing the impressive stock of vintages from around the world.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Charleston Grill - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
Charleston Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
189 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (165)romantic (142)fit for foodies (114)notable wine list (101)neighborhood gem (36)good for groups (20)hot spot (17)late-night find (11)vibrant bar scene (11)great for brunch (8)scenic view (6)kid-friendly (6)great for lunch (6)great for outdoor dining (4)Show More
- Elegant, refined, but not haughtyWSHurricaneVIPDined on 6/28/2014This has got to be one of the best dining experiences I've ever privilege to have. The food was sublime. Chef Michelle is worth of al her praise. The wine list is amazing. There are bottles that satisfy every palate and budget. The service...the best in Charleston, and I would put them against any other restaurant on the east coast!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining ExperienceGuppyfoodDined on 6/28/2014My Wife and I went there for our anniversary. I had told them ahead of time. They had a nice card waiting at the table. The servers knew us by name. The tasting menu was fanatastic. Everything was done to perfection. All dishes were great but some much better than others. The scallop with blood sausage and the lamb chops were probably the best. The wine pairings again were fantastic and the Sommelier (Sic) was great. I do not think I Have had a better overall experience between service, food and ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experienceCocoDined on 6/28/2014Always perfection every time we go. The entire experience was faultless. Kudos to the entire staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charleston Grill a gemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/23/2014My wife and I celebrated our first night in Charleston and our 25th anniversary at the Charleston Grill. The service was impeccable- our server was knowledgable, attentive and not over bearing. His recommendations were spot on. This is an upscale restaurant and one should dress appropriately. This is not a resort or casual restaurant but not stuffy either. Be prepared to spend but enjoy the entire experience. This is fine dining not just eating. I would compare this restaurant to any top one in New York or LA.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charleston dining at its best.JVBIIIDined on 6/23/2014We went to the Charleston Grill to celebrate a special anniversary and were not disappointed. It lived up to its reputation for excellent cuisine thoughtfully prepared with excellent service. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just not good enough to recommendEatoutalot1Dined on 6/23/2014The ambiance and staff were great. Food was above average in general but starter trout dish far too small and my son's lamb ($52) came raw (not rare) which spoilt the evening
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/22/2014Charleston Grill never disappoints. The food is fabulous. From the time you give your name to the receptionist, you are addressed by your name. The service is impeccable. Every time we are in Charleston, which is at least once a year, we make it a point to dine there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary SuppertigerfanDined on 6/22/2014From the moment we walked into the door, we were greeted promptly and attended to with every courtesy. We had the Chef's Tasting Menu with the mid-range wines for our Anniversary Supper and it was a food/wine delight. The chef has a talent for sauces and each course was very enjoyable with the perfect wine accompaniment. The General Manager was very attentive and we enjoyed his descriptions and knowledge of each wine served. The Charleston Grill staff made our evening very special and the only regret is that we live 3 to 4 hours away from Charleston so can not come back every week. We would recommend anyone visiting Charleston to ensure reservations at the Charleston Grill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/21/2014Amazing food and always nice to receive a suprise from the chef. The octopus salad was so good - as well as the flounder.Special Features:
- Could be Chucktowns bestGhettoSommelierVIPDined on 6/20/2014With a unique menu, the charleston grille delivers food which maybe the city's best. The food is low country with a French twist. The wine list is by far the best of charlestonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charleston ClassicJohnwDined on 6/18/2014Love this room. The music, the decor, the art on the walls and in the rrestrooms, but most importantly the food and the service. Try to dine here every time we're in Charleston. Please try the crab cake appetizer. Expensive@$19.00 but worth every penny. And I'm from Baltimore. Pleasant surprise. No old Bay seasoning. Imagine that. Hope to be back soon. JSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great taste of CharlestonOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/18/2014Our first visit to Charleston and we were impressed. The food was light, fresh, and innovative. Great vegetables and fish. Service sublime.Special Features:
- Always Outstanding!HHITomVIPDined on 6/16/2014Charleston Grill has become our favorite restaurant; not just in Charleston, but anywhere. They continue to amaze us with the creativeness and quality of their food and service.Special Features:
- ExcellentgoodfoodDined on 6/14/2014We had the most wonderful food and service. Our waiter was so attentive to every detail and his suggestions and description of everything was great..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for big occasionsFooddudeDined on 6/12/2014We went for our anniversary and the place was ready. They greeted us by our names and every employee wish us a happy anniversary. Service was impeccable, food was incredible, and atmosphere was very romantic. Everything I was looking for. Happy wife, happy life!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best ever dining experiencefrank924Dined on 6/12/2014My wife and I were visiting Charleston to celebrate our anniversary. We'd heard that Charleston Grill was the place to go, but it was way beyond our expectations! Food, service, presentation were all superb. Ambience was upscale and quiet without being over the top. Wine list and pairings couldn't be beat. Wish it were closer to our hometown so we could visit more often for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sets the Bar for Exceptional DiningcsvjDined on 6/9/2014By whatever standard you measure a dining experience, Charleston Grill sets the bar for excellence! From atmosphere, to genuinely courteous and attentive staffing, to the unique variety in menu selections, to impressive presentation of each dish, we had a spectacular evening. The menu offerings present a wide range of regional and culinary considerations from which you can choose from matched appetizers, entrees' and desserts; or, you can be more selective and mix your choices. The Sommelier walked us through the exceptional Wine List and brought us to an excellent match. A new experience for us, the Sommelier checked back with us regularly to see how we were enjoying the selection. We unreservedly recommend Charleston Grill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charleston GrillluvtodineDined on 6/7/2014This restaurant is definitely a place I'd go back to when visiting Charleston. The live jazz was great and the sound was perfect, not too loud. Food and wine was amazing and the service was very good. The dining room is elegant with a romantic feel and I would recommend it far a special night out on the town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charleston Grill was a WOW!MasoodclanDined on 6/7/2014My wife and I went for dinner to celebrate our 20th Wedding Anniversary at the Charleston Grill. We were greeted with warmth and a welcome reception. The food was fantastic, the flavors were great and just the right quantity. The service was excellent and to be expected from a Orient Express ranked hotel.Special Features:
- Great Night OutTJfromTexas49Dined on 6/7/2014Outstanding dining experience. Steaks were cooked perfectly. Sides were imaginative and quite tasty. Service was prompt but not overbearing. We were seated at our reservation time. Was offered and accepted courtesy parking. If you get the chance, go to this fabulous restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will definitely return!Ann2122Dined on 6/7/2014My husband and I came here for our anniversary. Mozzarella appetizer very good, steak was good, potatoes gratin absolutely delicious! My husband was a little disappointed in lobster pasta. Strawberry tart and caramel desserts were excellent! Service could not have been better . Noise level quite high--Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Anniversary CelebrationMrSweetDined on 6/7/2014Everything about this restaurant was simply amazing. The food was excellent, the wine was superb, and the staff was awesome. I would recommend Charleston Grill to anyone looking for a fine dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They set the barStevemVIPDined on 6/4/2014The Charleston Grill continues to set the standard for food and service among Charleston's best restaurants. There were 5 of us at diner and 2 were there for the first time. From our unique wine experience to the staff anticipating everything we might need our 2 newcomers said it was their "best dining experience" ever.Special Features:
- Continuously impressedAviddinerVIPDined on 6/2/2014Every time we dine here we are impressed. Super attentive service, menu changing and always great, food taste always wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great EveningvisitorDined on 5/31/2014Excellent meal and experience. The service team was outstanding. Be sure to try the candy bar dessert. It is very different and outstanding.Special Features:
- During Spoleto tripOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/31/2014Great service, great food and wine, terrible banquet seating!Special Features:
- Special Occasion MustChefJaneVIPDined on 5/30/2014Excellent food, beautifully prepared and presented. Chef Michelle offers wonderful modern southern creations, sourcing locally and adjusting seasonally. Elegant setting, attentive service and a delightful experience. A must-do whilst in Charleston.Special Features:
- Great EatingWandFDined on 5/29/2014Great food and ambiance - as usual. Expensive, but well worth it.Special Features:
- Damer47Dined on 5/26/2014I can't visit Charleston without visiting Charleston Grill for dinner, drinks, something--anything!Special Features:
- FantatsicReba54Dined on 5/26/2014We stop in Charleston on our way home every Spring & have dinner at the Charleston Grill. It never dissapoints. The menu always has new & innovating dishes. The roasted oysters this weekend were out of this world. Cant wait to return next year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpecialNatalieVIPDined on 5/25/2014Very special place. Service is top notch, food to match and quiet life music during dinner creates very special experience. The owner stopped by the table and was very friendly. Oxtai grits are amazing as well as roasted papers on the modern side of the menu.Venison was very special as well. Good and extensive wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Charleston Dining Room!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/25/2014We asked to dine in time to make our 9pm Spoleto show and the servers went out of their way to time our meal perfectly! Wonderful staff, perfection as far as food presentation and flavor, and wonderful, attentive service. We loved that the menu had so many choices and every bite of our meal was delicious. After dinner we were served a small plate of dessert bites which was perfect since we didn't have time to order dessert. We would definitely return and recommend it to our friends. Next time we are spending a leisurely dinner here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome AnniversaryEatingoutDined on 5/25/2014We enjoyed our 30th Anniversary dinner at Charleston Grill. The staff went out of their way to make the night special. The food was amazing! The overall experience was so very satisfying. A true gem in a city of great restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CDSCLTVIPDined on 5/24/2014Charleston Grill is a "must dine" whenever if visit Charleston. Love the Dining Options between: PURE, LUSH, COSMOPOLITAN and SOUTHERN. Staff is fantastic and JAZZ is great touch during or after dinner. Highly recommend for a Friday or Saturday feature night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1713 reviews are from the Charleston Grill reviews archive.
- Still greatChefrobDined on 5/22/2014Perfection from start to finish. Food and service could not be better. It's so refreshing to know a "local" can count on a special night out in Charleston any time the mood hits. Thanks Chef, Jon and Mickey. Y'all made our night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous TimeWillDined on 5/17/2014We picked Charleston Grill for their extensive wine list. The food was incredible. The service was impeccable. This is a special occasion restaurant that does not disappoint. We will visit again next time we are in Charleston. Thank you for a great evening!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/17/2014Great jazz music as you dine. I loved the crab cake!Special Features:
- Good VenueRabbitDined on 5/17/2014The restaurant paws very good, but compared to the other restaurants we dined at in Charleston, it did not compare with the status that has been awarded the restaurant by other reviews.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/17/2014Family tradition brings us to the grill every year. Mickey and his amazing staff never disappoint! Thank you for making a special memory each and every year!Special Features:
- Wonderful chef's tasting menuOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/17/2014If you're looking for a great night out I encourage the chef's tasting menu with wine pairings. Every bite was amazing!Special Features: