Sea Glass at Inn by the Sea
40 Bowery Beach Road
Cape Elizabeth, ME 04107Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Sea Glass at Inn by the Sea
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.innbythesea.com/
- Phone: 2077993134x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:00am - 10:30am; Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 7:00pm - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Mitchell Kaldrovich
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Misty Beaulieu 207-799-3134x
A word from Sea Glass at Inn by the Sea
Sea Glass at Inn by the Sea offers an unsurpassed Maine dining experience with spectacular ocean views from its intimate dining room or al fresco deck. The freshest local ingredients form the basis of our authentic Maine menu featuring the finest examples of classic regional fare prepared with Chef Mitchell Kaldrovich's international flare. Sea Glass serves breakfast, lunch and dinner year-round and an all-day snack menu. Hours vary by season.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Sea Glass at Inn by the Sea - Best Restaurants in Cape Elizabeth ›
Sea Glass at Inn by the Sea reviews from OpenTable diners
79 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (66)great for outdoor dining (49)special occasion (42)romantic (33)fit for foodies (32)kid-friendly (21)neighborhood gem (20)great for brunch (20)notable wine list (20)great for lunch (19)good for groups (6)late-night find (2)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Every BiteAMomonRetreatDined on 10/13/2013It was the 1st day of my Mommy Retreat at the Inn By the Sea, and one of the few meals, in the last 19 months since my daughter was born, that I have been able to chew, taste, and savor (all while the meal was still warm). Most new parents can relate. Each bite was wonderful, and truly tasty! The service was truly attentive and took great care of me. I ate there 3 more times (2 dinners & 1 breakfast), all were prepared and delivered with care and great flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful, as Always!KaseyVIPDined on 10/11/2013We took friends who were visiting from out of state and they loved it as much as we did. Three of us had the lemon risotto topped with lobster which we all rated outstanding. The fourth entree was the salmon which was perfectly cooked. The vegetables which accompanied the entrees were imaginatively prepared and not just sides. The view of the gardens and ocean is lovely!Special Features:
- Still needs workCapucineDined on 10/10/2013We went to the restaurant for an anniversary dinner and while the overall experience was pleasant, there were problems. When we arrived, the air conditioning was on and the table was in a cold draft. The waiter seemed very slow throughout the evening although he was responsive when around. Some of the food was quite good, but other dishes were such as the onion tart, were very disappointing. We did share very good desserts which would be the primary reason we would go back there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely, relaxed setting thatmarthaDined on 9/27/2013Lovely, relaxed setting that set the mood for a long, relaxed ,meal with family. Appreciate your staff's quiet formality, allowing us to have a leisurely meal in an exceptional atmosphere.Special Features:
- It was a special occasion,CareyDined on 9/27/2013It was a special occasion, and we were looking for somewhere special to eat. Sea Glass satisfied our requirements with class and charm. One note: the staff are better dressed than the clientele!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't eat hereLdt17Dined on 9/20/2013Small portions that were very mediocre. My seafood paella didn't even have shrimp or fish in it, just rice, peas, 6 mussels and a few small clams with a spoonful of lobster. Really?!Special Features:
- Great FindKaseyVIPDined on 9/15/2013It is a little out of the way, but worth the trip to the gorgeous Inn by the Sea. The food was really spectacular, especially the accompaniments. I have never had Brussels Sprouts that actually tasted delicious!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't botherMissingLinkDined on 9/14/2013The wait staff was unprofessional as they did not who had which appetizers. The dinners were all over cook
- Sea Glass at Inn by the SeaGregojVIPDined on 9/7/2013We went to Sea Glass for a birthday dinner. The food was outstanding as was the service! I would highly recommend this restaurant if you're celebrating a special occasion, staying at the inn, or just in the mood for a great dinning experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TrickedtravelerDined on 8/26/2013Hyped in catalogs. Really disappointed. very expensive. Food was tasteless and overcooked.Special Features:
- Quality Restaurant, esp for VegansOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/25/2013They have a separate menu for vegan and gluten free meals; that in and of itself speaks volumes about the restaurant. They also have a very extensive wine list. They change their menus with each season drawing upon local Maine establishments for their products. Excellent service and the meals were very tasty and nice size portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful settingFX14VIPDined on 8/14/2013Delicious food, attentive service, gorgeous setting by the ocean.Special Features:
- Delightful dinnerWinerDinerDined on 8/13/2013We were attracted to Seaglass by the promise of a great view and the possibility of al fresco dining. Sadly it was foggy and overcast and so we sat inside. Our waiter was simply outstanding-- knowledgeable and engaging without being intrusive. Beet salad and tomato salads were tasty but the featured components were buried underneath the greens rather than being prominently displayed, which we found curious. The paella was delicious and the scallops done to perfection, but the delicious root vegetable puree was presented as a shapeless long blob alongside the scallops rather than being slathered artfully underneath or in a more visually appealing manner. So all-in-all a delicious dinner and fine setting with some odd twists of presentation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Made to feel welcomeEatlocalDined on 8/11/2013Had a family and friend dinner here on a beautiful night. Was surprised, in a good way, that although the service was as attentive as it was, the overall experience is almost casual. A number of tables, including ours, had children, starting at the toddler age, and you were made to feel very comfortable, including a children's menu.. The restaurant was smaller than envisioned and you cannot beat the view, although one of our guests had her view blocked by the pillar next to her chair. We all enjoyed the meal from start to finish, including the unexpected amuse bouche. Would definitely return and sit outside for a lunch or the lounge menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sea GlassJoyceDined on 8/10/2013Everything was great - a bit pricey - but definitely worth a visit. Delicious food, nicely presented, and great service. An overall lovely experience. It has a very nice view too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- expensive for mediocre foodBostonDined on 8/8/2013Entered are in the $25-$35 range, but the caliber of the food and cuisine hardly justifies those prices. You are basically paying for the ocean view, which isn't even right in front of the restaurant. The signature cocktails were too sweet and not chilled properly. As we were settling in for drinks, our entrees arrived like a fast food restaurant. My food came to the table cold. The meat was overcooked. We didn't bother with desserts. Another curious note, they said on the phone and open table that they were booked. We thought we got the only open spot, but the place was empty inside while we were there.Special Features:
- Summer BlissWriteonVIPDined on 8/5/2013What a charming farm to table restaurant with perfect service. We stayed at the inn and ate three meals a day there--each was divine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great classy-coastal dining..OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/2/2013Great for those who want a bit of relaxed coastal atmosphere and are use to the better dining That cities offer...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful outdoor seating;OutsidedinerDined on 7/24/2013Wonderful outdoor seating; fantastic service; great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/20/2013Megan, our waitress, was absolutely fabulous! I can't remember the last time we had a waitress this wonderful. The food was outstanding as was the wine selection. We were there for a 6:15 reservation. The atmosphere was quiet but soon started getting very busy, about 7:30. We had the mussels,WOW are they delicious and marinated beets, yummy, as our appetizers. For our entrees we had the Groucho Steak, highly recommend, and the filet, both were cooked to perfection and for dessert, we chose the Creme Brûlée. We were able to actually DINE, what a nice way to spend our 11th. Everything was great but, make sure to get mussels, oh my goodness, are they fabulous!!!!Special Features:
- First TimerDreamerDined on 7/20/2013I was captivated by the setting immediately upon arrival. I have lived in the area many years and It was on my list of places to go. The vibe was friendly but also elegant. Happy hour was outside and a complimentary glass of wine and cheese were offered to us even though we were only dining guests. The grounds are meticulous and the evening only got better with the appetizer of mussels and the salmon that was perfectly cooked.My friend had the scallops! The warm chocolate cake with raspberry sorbet was the finish to a great meal. The walk down to beach after on the boardwalk was also special. When we returned from the beach a fire pit was roaring and a live guitarist was playing. A perfect summer evening! We will be going back soon I hope!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always a treat to go to theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/19/2013always a treat to go to the inn for a meal. Good food, service and terrific views. Will go over and over.Special Features:
- Great spot by the beachOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/15/2013Sea Glass has maintained an excellent level of cuisine for the past 4 years. Always make it there several times during summer; just as good in the winter with the fireplace.Special Features:
- Absolutely WonderfulBerskifamDined on 7/9/2013My husband and I went for our anniversary dinner and were overwhelmingly impressed. The wait staff were very friendly and accommodating yet not overbearing. The food was out of this world. We started with a very generous portion of mussels in a tasty broth which we sopped up with the bread that was served with it...so good!!!! Our appetizer was followed by salads which were fresh and delicious and the tomatoes on my husbands salad actually tasted like tomatoes (not the grocery store ones with no flavor). For the main course my husband had the filet mignon, which is always his favorite but this one took the cake. The best filet he has ever had hands down. I had the scallops which were the best I've ever had. Great experience!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sea Glass Inn - DinnerjimandcharlDined on 7/9/2013Very enjoyable evening. The dining area has nice views over the expansive lawns and the ocean. The food presentation and quality was exceptional. The wait staff was attentive and pleasant, and allowed us to have a relaxing meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, rushed serviceSherryDined on 6/28/2013My only complaint was that we felt rushed the entire evening. Our reservation was at 745 and we were given our check at 8:43. Our waiter asked us what we wanted to for appetizers at the same time we ordered our drinks. We hadn't even looked at the appetizer menu. When we finally did order our appetizers, he asked us if we wanted to order our entrees at the same time. We said we would like to wait a bit. He came back in 5 minutes and asked us again if we were ready. We also noticed the table next to us got a complimentary amuse bouche, which we did not receive. While we appreciated his attention to detail, we felt like he had somewhere to be and was trying to rush us out the door. Only food complaint; gnocchi app very bland and watery.Special Features:
- Wonderful summer lunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/25/2013My sisters and I had a late lunch at the Inn this week. The setting is spectacular with views out to Crescent Beach, and the grounds were gorgeous. I started with a gazpacho, which was the only disappointment of the meal as it was a little sour. However, the beet salad and crab cakes were delicious and we all indulged in dessert - which was a treat. I had the peach tart with raspberry sauce and ginger ice cream and it was amazing. The crust was buttery and flaky, the peaches not too sweet, and ginger ice cream a perfect taste contrast. If you want a treat on a beautiful summer day, I'd recommend a visit.Special Features:
- Perfect!!!GinnyGailVIPDined on 6/21/2013we arrived 45 min early, and the staff couldn't have been any more accommodating. we were offered a seat on the porch, they quickly brought two chairs into a shaded spot for us so we could enjoy the outstanding view....it's a lovely resort! the whole meal was to-die-for! gazpacho and mussels were so delicious that we soaked up every bit with the bread; the salmon was medium rare as requested and the paella was moist and very flavorful, both absolutely perfect, as was the attentive service.Special Features:
- Excellent PlaceAlexEDined on 6/13/2013My wife and I went there on our honeymoon. The service was excellent, the view was spectacular, and the food was incredible. Very good if you're in the Portland/Cape Elizabeth area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful dining on the porchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/1/2013We decided to head to Cape Elizabeth one hot day and have dinner on the porch. We had a few appetizers and drinks, no one hurried us, the food was good and it's a lovely spot. We will return again. Be sure to bring a sweater because there can be a 10 degree difference at the coast!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sea Glass, Cape Elizabeth, MaineOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/22/2013This is an outstanding restaurant for seafood. Our entrees were beautifully presented and extremely tasty. The paella was excellent. We were there to celebrate our anniversary, and we liked it so much that we plan to go back for other special occasions. The service was friendly and attentive, and the ocean view from the large windows was a lovely backdrop to the dinner. The desserts were very good too. Overall, an excellent dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant venue with viewsBJYMDDined on 5/19/2013While we have had brunch at Sea Glass we had never had dinner, so we gave it a try. Located in the elegant Inn by the Sea on Cape Elizabeth Maine, Sea Glass is a romantic setting overlooking a pastoral setting with distant water views. The service is excellent and very attentive. The food is good but uninspiring. The price is a touch high ( $11 plain salad). We may give it another try.Special Features:
- Overall one of the finest dining...FriendsFromMassDined on 5/18/2013Anthony was fabulous. He was attentive and very knowledgeable, and had a great sense of humor with a charming personality. The food was out this world, and a great value for all that you're given. The view was unbeatable, and the ambiance warm and inviting. We felt like royalty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day treatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/12/2013We enjoyed the overall experience at your refurbished inn and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food and service was excellent.ChefsmomDined on 5/10/2013The food and service was excellent. The gnocchi, lobster bisque ( with an interesting tomato and fennel base) and the tiramisu especially noteworthy. View superb. Worth the trip to Cape Elizabeth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just MarriedJustMarriedDined on 5/9/2013My wife and I had our first dinner as a married couple here, and it was outstanding. The food was amazing. The service was even better. Our server was thoughtful and friendly, and knew the menu inside and out, and was able to help us pair a perfect wine selection with dinner. This is the best restaurant to celebrate a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sea Glass SparklesCoupleofFoodiesDined on 5/4/2013My husband surprised me with dinner at the Sea Glass and what an memorable evening. I was treated like a Queen. The waiter was very knowledgeable and enthusiastic. He appeared when we needed something and left us to dine like royalty. Never felt rushed. I had the chef's special, duck with a fruit-reduction and my husband had the seafood paella. Heaven! Extensive wine list. Dessert, a fluffy tiramisu with a spoonful of decadent chocolate ice cream. Did not want to leave! The dining room is small and unfortunately it was too cool a night to sit out on the patio. Our seating wasn't great. Next time we'll ask for a corner table for a bit more privacy. We're going back for our anniversary -- I can't wait!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were staying at Inn byBlazepi13VIPDined on 4/27/2013We were staying at Inn by the Sea and ate in their restaurant for dinner. The food was a bit on the pricey side, but very good. Because we were tucked in a corner we didn't get to see much of the view but it looked great - try to get a window table!Special Features:
- A beautiful view with foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/20/2013A beautiful view with food that made the night complete. It was great that we made a reservation for 5:30 as we got to sit by a window and take-in the beautiful ocean view. I had Chicken Under a Brick and it was tender and juicy. The whipped yukon potatoes, spinach and raisin topping was perfect together.Special Features:
- A hidden gem in south Portland!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/16/2013A hidden gem in south Portland! We eat here every time we visit the area and are never disappointed at any level!Special Features: